Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Something Else posted:

I've learned a lot running this game!

Like what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Are you kidding? This game is crazy fun, and I get to test a home-brew playbook too. Hope you can get back on IRC sometime soon, because I'm going to need to start taking advances before too much longer...:pcgaming:

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Flame112 posted:

Like what?

Well, just for starters I think I really bungled the start of this game. I asked too many questions about the future before we started playing, and I ended up trying to stay too faithful to all that setup, rather than playing to find out what happens. Also a huge mistake to put the the NPCs you guys created ahead of your PCs (not allowing Murgo to just die right off the bat. I shouldn't have opened the game with him attacking you guys and not allowing whatever happens to happen). Next game I start is going to be all backstory questions, and an in media res opening scene where anything can happen.

With regards to this game, I want to know how you guys feel about how it's going. Very glad to hear you're having fun, Alumnus! :unsmith: I think I have a tendency towards the arbitrary, like making something a challenge that really need not be, and I think I may have frustrated a few of you that way in the course of this game. I'm working on avoiding that and just emphasizing what's interesting or exciting as we go forward, and I think I've been doing a better job of honoring your intentions. I feel like this Slums section has taken longer to finish than it needed to, but that might be more my own frame of reference problem than an actual flaw with the game. How do you all feel?

If you're feeling fatigued with your characters or the direction of the story, I could see wrapping this game up and calling it a successful learning experience. However, I'm totally down to keep going, and I intend to be a bit looser in general and shoot for a more action-packed tone. Let me know, gang. Either way, my crippling insecurites are in your hands :v:

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Something Else posted:

Either way, my crippling insecurites are in your hands :v:

This! haha, I understand that all too well. I think you're doing fine and I too am having a good time. I feel like with PbPs or really just any type of communication where you can't hear the intonation that a person is using or see their expressions it's harder to gauge how people are responding. It can be hard in person, but especially so in PbP.

For what it's worth, my advice to you(not that you need any, just to be clear) is to just continue to be up front about your intentions as you have and I'm sure things we'll work out just fine!

Galen has medical miracles to perform!

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Probably some of the time-stretch you're feeling is just one of the constraints of PbP. Stuff just takes longer, and that's OK. I think part of being a good DM is knowing when to escalate and when to call it a day (and how to communicate clearly to your players that that's what you're doing), and that's a lot harder in PbP where even one fight can take weeks. On the other hand, it could be fun to make us think we're out of the woods and then spring something nasty on us. I was almost hoping you'd use Gurgle's little dip in the pool as a 'golden opportunity' after Dr. Galen's double-DD failure extravaganza. DocIdle's right too, about how it's harder to gauge people's responses over text - that's why I try to put actual formatting into my :frog:-posts, so any intention-gauging is hopefully easier.

For my own part, I'm trying to strike a balance between 'playing a cool homebrew class' and 'not playing a way overpowered That Guy class,' and I hope it's working. Alchemist is shaping up to be at least as free-form as Mage, although with the way I've been playing it, what I can actually do is completely dependent on the environment we construct and the lore we spout, as opposed to the Mage's more thematic restrictions. Anybody have any ideas for advances, once we get to a point where we can actually level up? Or interesting potions or ingredients?

I'm definitely in for the long haul on this, but I'll be out of contact for two weeks in November to go do some contract work in the middle of nowhere - I'll update with actual dates when I know them. Feel free to do interesting things with Gurgle, his associates, or his potions, while I'm gone. I've got no problems with returning to a run-around-screaming fiasco and having to pull asses out of the fire.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Sorry, keep hitting busy weeks in school and forgetting to sit down and take a look.
I apologize for being terrible :smith:

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Sorry I haven't been posting, I'll try to get one out today. What the heck is a 'genetic combo', though?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Like how most of the people here are genetically spliced with some animal? That's I all I mean by that.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Something Else posted:

Like how most of the people here are genetically spliced with some animal? That's I all I mean by that.

Oh I didn't realize that was that common here. I thought that woman with the suction cup hands and bug-mama were mostly outliers. I'll think of something.

Edit: Bug-mama, not to be confused with mama-bug, of course. :v:

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah, the way I'd been going, here in the Slums plenty of people have a little something-something from an animal/sea creature. It's usually lovely or ugly because they're poors, like Crabatha has a big crab shell on her back for example. I'm imagining that the mods are more useful or polished in richer areas.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alumnus Post posted:

For my own part, I'm trying to strike a balance between 'playing a cool homebrew class' and 'not playing a way overpowered That Guy class,' and I hope it's working. Alchemist is shaping up to be at least as free-form as Mage, although with the way I've been playing it, what I can actually do is completely dependent on the environment we construct and the lore we spout, as opposed to the Mage's more thematic restrictions. Anybody have any ideas for advances, once we get to a point where we can actually level up? Or interesting potions or ingredients?
I don't think this has been a problem at all, although that probably is because you're making a conscious effort to pull back on it. It seems like the potential for 'abuse' is definitely there in the class, although whether that's a pro or a con relies on your philosophy. I'm trying to color the environment with stuff that seems like it could be ingredients, but I figured we'd leave it up to you to decide what's interesting.

I'm having a hard time thinking of interesting advances at the moment. It doesn't feel like there's a lot of design space towards expanding the kinds of potions you can make, because that's super-broad and you can seemingly take any fictionally-appropriate tag you want when brewing. Not that that's a problem, but it's where my mind goes first when thinking about how to advance a potion-making guy. Maybe advances that make carve out mechanics for certain conditions? Like, 'When you brew a potion with the hardening tag, whomever consumes it gains temporary 3 Armor.' Sure, you can have the fictional effect of being armored just from describing what the potion does when you drink it, but with the advance you get the actual number to apply to the mechanics of the situation. I dunno if that seems like a step in the right direction to you or not.

Suran37 posted:

Sorry, keep hitting busy weeks in school and forgetting to sit down and take a look.
I apologize for being terrible :smith:
It's all good mang, your school stuff is 1000% more important than this game!

Something Else fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 28, 2014

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hope you guys had a good Halloween :spooky: I'm waiting on Cyrus at least for my next post, Bishop too if you've got time/something you want to do.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I'll try to get something in, I've been busy with kitchen renovation + midterm stuff. If you want, you could skip ahead to 'the building is exploding or whatever, time to go' and have a flashback to Cyrus's conversation once I can post.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Honestly I think it's probably best if you continue on without me. Sorry for bailing on you like this, especially during this very Cyrus-centric part of the story, but I'm just so entirely unmotivated to post anything. It's nothing to do with you or your DMing, I had fun with the game and I hope you manage to keep it alive.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Alright, man. That's a bummer! But I get it - I mean it took me like 3 weeks just to post what I posted, so I get it.

Everyone else: You guys can tell me what happened to Cyrus, what he learned and what he stole, or you can tell me to decide. Maybe he didn't make it out after all!

If that doesn't sound interesting, then let's just mercy kill this game instead of dragging it out. I'm all for doing justice to what we've built here, but at the same time I'm looking forward to starting fresh on the next game. What do you think?

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
I'm still having fun! I dunno about everybody else - with Indigo gone too, we're down to four people, one of who's really busy and maybe can't post a lot.

Have you thought about reopening recruitment? Maybe some new blood would speed things up.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
I'll keep playing.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Alright cool, I'll open up recruitment for 2 or 3 more players in a day or two. Let's solve this thing :thumbsup:

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
I too am here. Galen just has acidic bug gut all over his face. I may die... but am here.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Let's do some SCIENCE! :science:

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Okay, recruitment is posted! Now we play the waiting game...

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Would it be okay to app a resident of Aqualantis now that the team is already there?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Posting interest, just want to check if the Clock Mage is okay to app.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Mother f-ing interest post!
I'll take a look at what's avalible once I get home from work.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I will app a dude!!!

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yup, a resident of Aqualantis is cool. I'm not crazy about the Clock Mage, but it's not a deal-breaker for me either - app it up!

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
For your convenience:

Something Else posted:

REPLACEMENT PLAYER? APP WITH THE FOLLOWING:
- Level 2 character sheet
- Background & any relations to current characters
- How, why, and when your character arrived in Aqualantis - what do you seek here?

I am looking for 2-3 new players! As original appers, Druggeddwarf and piL can have first dibs if they want.

THE TEAM AT PRESENT:
- Ramona de Sahagϊn the Fighter
- Dr. Galen von Zieglas the Medic
- Gurgle the Alchemist
- Bishop the Technician
- Idris Surfside the Ranger
- Cyrus the City Thief

THE STORY SO FAR:
The team was assembled on the creaking Crystal Bay docks, contracted to rescue survivors from the floating city of Aqualantis, now sunk for a fortnight. When they arrived, the were attacked outside the city by a madman by the name of Captain Murgo and his accomplice Quartz. After they fled, the team commandeered their submarine and employed it to ferry survivors to the surface. Starting in the slums, they began evacuating survivors and looking for clues toward their personal objectives. Following a lead into an unstable apartment tower, Ramona, Bishop, and Cyrus tussled with gangs and sinister-seeming halflings until the building collapsed - meanwhile, Dr. Galen and Gurgle went looking for medical supplies and fought some mutant bugs!

Something Else fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 18, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
It's "de Sahagϊn"

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Noted.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Posting interest! Will work up a sheet, probably leaning towards Wild Shaman

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Arah'Nok Kishkiren, Naga Clock Mage Mercenary blessed by the goddess Kala.

Not long ago, Arah'Nok Kishkiren (call him Arah...or Kish. Whatever really, he's not picky about it) was hired out to accompany Doctor Jager von Pumkerstein on his archaeological expedition to the supposed site of the Lost Temple of Kala. Why the doctor sought mercenaries outside of his home of Aqualantis is anyone's guess, though Arah believes it was probably a matter of the poor doctor's budget.

And so the Doctor, Arah, and the rest of his assorted crew sailed off toward the site of the temple, a seaside cave the entrance to which had only recently risen above the tide. Aside from the infestation of various water-born monsters, the temple itself was rather unremarkable; much of it had been eroded by time and storm. The only thing of significant note seemed to be an hourglass, which stood about a meter tall upon the temple's main altar. As the doctor and his assistants busied themselves with analyzing various script and artifacts, Arah slithered close to the hourglass, which seemed remarkably pristine compared to its surroundings. Bored of waiting and curious about the object, he dared to touch it...

Suddenly, the glass shattered, and the sand within rushed into the air, surrounding Arah. As the sand floated around him, Arah had only a moment to marvel this phenomenon before it surged again, this time rushing into his eyes. He let out a cry, but of surprise, not pain. When the rest of the company had gathered round to investigate, the sand was gone.

Jereth, a half-elf merc, approached.

"'Oy Kish, you alright there?"

Arah gathered himself, having collapsed into a heap on the ground. "...Yeah, think so. 'ey, you hear a voice just now?"

"Voice? Kish what are ya-...er, Kish? Real quick, how many fingers do I got up?"

"Two. Why the quiz?"

"See fer yerself." He handed Arah a small pocket mirror. As he searched his face, he realized the pupils of his eyes had vanished, leaving only the whites of his eyes.

"Well...that's new."

"You...IDIOT!" the shrill cry of the doctor rang out in the great hall. "Have you any idea the worth of such a thing!? And now you've gone and just smashed it to pieces! Gods above, why did I skimp on the help, WHY!?"

------------

Over the ensuing weeks, while the doctor and his team continued their research, Arah began to realize what exactly the hourglass had done. As he and the other mercs continued to fend off sea monsters seeking refuge in the cave, he noticed his injuries never seemed to stick. After a few minutes, his body just seemed to "reset." But that wasn't all; just by thinking it, Arah could slightly alter the flow of time around him. As he discovered these amazing gifts, he kept thinking back to the words he'd heard when the sands entered him:

"Brave seeker of my forgotten people; I, Kala, Lady of Time, bestow upon you my final blessing, that you may be an instrument of hope in a world bereft of it."

The words echoed in his mind over and over, as though they were calling him to greater deeds...but he had always been a simple naga, content to leverage his skill in battle for a meager wage and a hot meal.

It was with these existential thoughts that Arah left the temple alongside the doctor and the others on their way to Aqualantis to report his findings. Alas, the beacons were mysteriously dark, and as the vessel drew closer to its destination the sight of the broken city filled all aboard with dread.

Could this be what Kala had meant? Had it all been some arranged fate, or merely an unhappy accident? Whatever the answer, Arah's mission now was clear: whatever he could do to help the people of Aqualantis, to bring them some measure of hope, he would.

---------------------------

I just wanted to get his background/the character idea out there, perfectly willing to adapt it to fit with other apps/characters in play. Just holler.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 18, 2014

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
One question: are we ruling that the party's all back together now?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alumnus Post posted:

One question: are we ruling that the party's all back together now?

Yes, but feel free to describe anything that happened before you all meet up. I decided to just skip to the interesting part, but if there was something else you wanted to do, go right ahead.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
reposting full app further down.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 20, 2014

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Thinking of entering one of these Entombed Sourcer and presenting it as a magical experiment discovered sealed away deep under the sea, woken for the first time in ages. I would have more of an app but it took me ages to pick and I've got to go to work now. I'll try and have an app up in the next few days.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
In the lowest levels of Aqualantis, those closest to the seabed, it became apparent that hidden beneath the uncaring waves was the ruins of a civilisation long since past. A peoples so ancient that their lands became an ocean as the centuries turned. Some of these Ruins were close enough to the city that small expeditions were attempted. Within one of these ruins, cracked open by the impact of a now flooded corridor, was found a sarcophagus of some form. Taken back to Aqualantis by curious locals looking to make a quick buck. It was sold to a curious tinkerer. Who set about trying to open it...

quote:

-ATTEMPTED UNAUTHORISED ACCESS DETECTED-
-...-
-Beginning cycling sequence-
-...-
-...-
-...-
-Reading environmental conditions-
-Current environment: *Dry/humid*-
-...-
-Biological life: *DETECTED*-
-...-
-...-
-...-
-***INTERNAL SEAL BREACHED***-
-...-
-...-
-...-
-Forced ejection of Grimoire-
-POTENTIAL HOSTILITY-
-DEFENSIVE MODES ACTIVATED-

The casket, urged on by the tinker's attempts to burn through the locks, opened. Revealing the body kept inside. The first thing that stood out was that it had hardly decomposed. The second thing that stood out was that it blinked and began to climb out. The encounter was short and messy. The body inside blasting the tinkerer into ash. Freed of its confinement, and unable to return to its slumber. The body began to creep amongst the slums, listening into the conversation of the locals. Leaning the language and recording all it could.

By the time Missy found it, it had translated enough to be capable of basic speech. After a few days of analysis it was fluent. It introduced itself as the Grimoire Archive, a repository of knowledge created by the great people of [No equivalent word]. It quickly came to learn it's people were long since dead and forgotten, first buried by time and then drowned by the sea. Trapped much like everyone else down here in the sunken city the Grimoire Archive had no choice but to adjust to the current situation and learn how to live in Aqualantis.

As such 'Ark' (As Missy has taken to calling it, "Far less of a mouthful!" as she says) has made itself useful. Putting its vast knowledges towards keeping the residents alive down at the bottom of the sea. Though not exactly trusted for its ways are strange and its powers unfamiliar. It never sleeps or eats, or even breaths. It simply observes, learns, and kills anything that tries to harm it.

ARK - The Grimoire Archive
Lv 2. Entombed Sorcerer

Crafted long long ago by a people so old that the continents shifted and covered their entire empire under the ocean. Ark is a living repository of knowledge, filled to the brim with the advanced magics and science of his creators. One of many such archives made from artificial bodies that no race now living knows how to repair. Were Ark to die, it would be impossible to resurrect him though traditional means.

Since awakening in the sunken city of Aqualantis Ark has been taken in by Missy, a slum dweller who saw an opportunity to get an advantage in this shithole and took it. She had spent much time teaching Ark the ways of the modern world, and trying to keep on his good side. She had taken Ark to be some mindless servitor at first, but Ark is quite capable of making his own mind known, and Missy has been working hard to get back into his good graces.

It wasn't until the party arrived and began shipping people back to the surface that Ark felt like he had any real purpose in being awake. However, here was evidence that there was more life beyond the surface. Where there was life, there was knowledge! And Ark has set himself the task to gather as much information as he can. Updating his archive and maybe finding a reason to live beyond the purpose of his creation.

Ark is close to a male human in form, though his appearance marks him as non-human. Personality wise, Ark has learned to come back with snarky comments from Missy, but is otherwise quite pleasant to get along with. Displaying a personality quite advanced for an artificial creature and capable of expressing wants and opinions. Ark is practically a living person. If only he could stop making the occasionally bizarre robotic comment.

His greatest asset is the powerful processes logged within his archive. These Heka, as they're called, are capable of a variety of effects and are his primary form of defence and offence. It is also his only source of quick and easy repair in the field. Though dormancy has reduced his effectiveness, the longer Ark is active the more of his systems come online and the stronger the Heka become.

Ark

Look: Aroma of musty books, Dark Grey Skin, Wrapped in Dried Yellowing Linin.

HP: 21/21
Damage: d6
Armour: 0

STR: 9 (+0)
DEX: 13 (+1)
CON: 15 (+1)
INT: 17 (+2)
WIS: 12 (+0)
CHA: 8 (-1)

Alignment: Neutral - Learn of the world's history and all that has transpired since you were first entombed

Court Status: Viscount - You get to pick any extra piece of starting equipment from the gear section

STARTING MOVES:

Embalmed and Entombed
You served as a great sorcerer and advisor in a kingdom nestled away in the heart of a now forgotten realm. You served your kingdom greatly and loyally until the end of your days. As your status demanded, you were embalmed, mummified and entombed in a burial temple so that you would enjoy a peaceful and undisturbed rest for all eternity as reward for your faithful service.

It became apparent that eternity doesn’t last nearly as long as one would expect when ambitious adventures cracked open your tomb and found you. They soon fled screaming once you sprang to life seconds later. Your ancient kingdom is all but gone and has faded beneath the sands. Without an obligation to your home, you have now set off into the world to spend rest of eternity as a wandering sorcerer.

Invoke Heka (INT)
Whenever you would invoke the ancient, roll +INT. *On a 10+, you choose one of the following sorceries to invoke as you channel Heka through you. *On a 7-9, as above, but the invocation of Heka causes chaos or distracts you from your surroundings.
 Shattering Blast: Deal your damage +1 to anyone in the Near distance.
 Seeking Malice: Deal your damage -1 to anyone in the Far distance.
 Soul Crush: Deal your damage +1d6 to anyone in the Hand distance.
 Mend Flesh: Heal damage on a living person equal to your damage roll.
 Restore Features: Heal damage on an undead equal to your damage roll +1.
 Shade of Yearning: Briefly conjure up an image of what someone desires.
 Magnificent Garb: Have your clothes appear as any outfit until you use this move again.
 Gift Enhancement: A weapon you touch gets +1d4 forward to its next damage roll.
 Barrier Runes: As long as you don’t move from where you casted this sorcery, you and anyone within the Close range of you get a +2 ongoing to armor.
 Uncanny Insight: You get a +3 forward to the next Spout Lore roll you would make.
 Rushed Reverberate: Have the effects of the next spell that targets you instead affect someone of your choice and someone of the GM’s choice that are in range of the spell.

Mortal Tools Are Beneath Me!
You get -1 to all damage rolls made with physical weapons and +1 to all damage rolls made for Invoke Heka.

Unliving
You are unaffected by all the constraints of living creatures, with no need to sleep or eat rations to heal damage. Healing magics of the living harm you instead of heal you. You cannot make Last Breath rolls and are simply destroyed when you reach 0 HP.

ADVANCED MOVES

Imbued With Heka
Increase your damage dice to a d6.

GEAR - [Load=7+STR] Total load: 5/16

- Robes of the high court (1 weight).
- Chanter’s scepter (add +1 to all damage rolls made with Invoke Heka, 2 weight)
- Blackglass wand (At the start of each session this item Holds 2. You may spend this Hold to reroll a damage dice rolled for Invoke Heka with any unspent Hold at the end of the session being lost, 1 weight)
- Being an endless font of knowledge (+1 to all Spout Lore rolls.)
- Bag of books (5 uses, 1 weight)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Markus (and Menog)
Spellcaster
  • Markus (5 years ago)
    My crew and I, we was responsible for pillaging the country side. I had a hard rep, known for lookin' right scary and good with me blade skills. Markus the mutilator, Markus the monster, Markus the Marauder they calls me. So the other day we hear tell of this monastery. A cult of shadows call themselves Void Seekers, hidden and ripe for the picking, said Abrax. He'd discovered a map, he said. Confounded idiot...

• Menog (6,000 years ago)
    The desolate one, the harbinger of the outer dark, worshipped as a god.
    I am bringer of ruin in the pantheons of one hundred worlds. My ambitions burn, but my reach exceeds my grasp. I conquered too much, too fast. The avaricious "peers" of the glory of Menog were patient. I was brash. They showed restraint where I had none.
    They betrayed ME!
    Those weaklings trapped, and bound the Great Devourer in chains of euclidian geometry. They shaped my form into this cursed book, bound in (ugh) mortal's skin, written in a language of madness and dark secrets, and guarded by their loyal mortal servants, monks known as Void Seekers, sworn to keep such shining weapons of destiny like myself from ever being used against their "masters".
    DEATH TO THE BETRAYERS AND ALL WHO SERVE THEM!

• Markus (5 years ago)
    So I'd finished guttin' the abbot of this bedamned "divine" shithole, not a single bit of gold, not a jewel. If Abrax hadn't fallen in the first attack...I'd 'ave killed that worthless skag m'self.

Not a total loss though, the boys've found a lot of weird old shite. The kind magic makers go mad for. I even found this dusty old book, bound in leather and covered in weird scratches, some old language most likely. I expect it'll fetch some kind of price up at the Librum Arcanaeum. Though, I'da sworn I just heard whispering, dry and old, like paper rustling together...must've been me mind playing tricks.

• Menog (1000 years ago)
    This interminable penance! I smote out my rage millenia ago. I suppose I've learnt my lesson, I've learnt the value of patience...oh yes. I've learned to make...planssss, so maaaanyyyy plaaaaannnnnnsssssssss...

• Markus (5 years ago)
    THE DAMNED WHISPERS, ENDLESS WORDS AND LAUGHTER. CAN'T SLEEP CAN'T EAT CAN'TTHINK! THE GANG THINKS I'VE GONE MOONY ON EM. HAD TO SHANK SELKA LAST NIGHT, SHE TRIED TO RALLY THEM ALL AGAINST ME TRIED 'TA TAKE WHAT'S MINE! ALL AGAINST. ME!

• Markus (5 years ago)
    Today, we entered Bastion. 3 weeks after raiding those drat Void Seekers. I hear it all the time now. The voice. Its words are a constant buzz in the back of my mind. It tells me of power, and riches beyond imagining...I just need to set it free.
    Set it...

• Menog and Markus (5 years ago)
    FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! FREE AT LAST! I convinced the soft flesh-thing to open my pages and read from the Librus Ceterus.

The demon's words, in my brain like icy knives. It wanted me to read the inscripion (how could I read that inscription!?) The words felt like broken glass in my mouth, tasted like blood and hot metal. W-what have I/we donewhathavewedonetousweare...ONE.

• Markus and Menog (now)
    I'm sorry, to all the gods, all the spirits, every kind soul in all the worlds, I am so sorry for what I've done...what I've let loose. It hurts me when I refuse Its demands, it sees and hears and knows the world through me...It has plans, I don't know <<REVENGE YES REVENGE ON THE AVARICIOUS ONES>>
    but sometimes it takes control, it makes me sleep and uses my body as a
    <<SERVE MENOG AND BE REWARDED, RESISTANCE WILL BE MET WITH DESTRUCTION. HEED ME FLESH-THING, TOGETHER WE WILL SPREAD OUR GLORIOUS PURPOSE>>
    It made me kill the Gang, oh god it just waved a hand and they exploded, the screaming <<FURTHER WE MUSSST GO, MUCH FURTHER. MUST BE PATIENT, GATHER POWWWER, GATHER RESOURCES, GATHER INFORMATION. GATHER STRENGTH>>
    gods help me. gods help us all...

MARKUS
a large, muscular, somewhat dim-witted man. Unwashed and unshaven, covered in tattoos and scars like a road-map telling the story of a life of hard fighting. Markus wears basic leather armor, and he carries an obviously well used, but sharp sword and an equally well used Dagger.

His other notable posession is an unsettling and grim sight. A thick book, bound in stitched and tattooed skin. Written upon its pages in blood are diagrams and incantations, Rituals of sinister and unknowable origin. Under Menog's guidance, Markus has translated some of these rituals already.

MENOG
An incorporeal being from outside of reality, trapped and bound to this book and posessing the mind and body of Markus, It is manipulative, cunning, and calculating. It prefers to work through Marcus most of the time, whispering It's will silently into the poor man's mind, but when needed it assumes direct control of Markus unleashing eldritch magics and energies.

When Menog is in control, they are the spellcaster part of the playbook:
Markus goes limp like a child's doll, as sickly pale energy suspends his body like a puppet.
He floats about a foot off the floor, his eyes and mouth wide in an expression of shock and terror, a blinding and unsettling light emanates from within him, and shines forth from his mouth and eyes.
Towering above Markus' body is an emaciated apparition of pure malicious darkness, like solid shadow. Its blank silver eyes shine with the abominable energies and magics It wields: blood curses, maddening visions, warping the very fabric of the world to twist monstrous abominations into being..."

Menog views all people including Markus as simply tools to be used and then expended when convenient, like a beast of burden. Markus himself, is just a normal man, his only armaments are his sword and base strength to overcome foes. (basic class damage with his sword, only uses basic moves)

quote:

Look:
(Markus) Haunted eyes, Wild hair, Leather Armor, Muscular Body
Level: 2
XP: 0/9
Alignment: Evil (Use magic to cause terror and fear.)
Race: Human (When you challenge someone to a magical duel, you take +1 forward to act against them.)

DMG: d4 (d6 for black magic)
Armor: 1/1
HP: 20

STR 13(+1) INT 16(+2)
DEX 9(+0) WIS 12(+0)
CON 16(+2) CHA 8(-1)

GEAR:
Dungeon Rations (5/5 uses, 1 weight)
The Librum Ceterus, Book of Menog (1 weight)
Leather Armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
Short Sword (close, 1 weight)
Healing Potion (heal 10 dmg or remove one Debility)

?? Coins
Load: 4/8

Bonds
  • name is strong enough to help me with a great undertaking.
  • Menog's mysterious and terrible magic also frightens name.
  • name understands the power of Menog's magic.

LEVEL UP
lvl 2: +1INT, Destroyer

quote:

MOVES:
Magic Style
  • Focus: Domination through magic
  • Looks: Hellfire, Coils of darkness, madness, plague, famine, death, apocalypse
  • Feels: Terrifying, awe-inspiring, an evil that cuts to your core
  • Acts: Grandiose and Unstoppable

Arcane Learning
Menog is a font of disturbing esoteric knowledge. When you Spout Lore or Discern Realities about something magical or otherwise arcane, on a 10+ the GM will also tell you a little-known secret about the subject.

Black Magic
When you cast a spell to destroy or inflict pain, say what you intend to do, choose two tags, and roll +INT. On a hit, the spell works, If you are dealing damage, you deal 1d6 damage.
On a 10+, choose one option.
On a 7-9, choose two:
  • You must take from something or someone else to do what you want
  • Your spell has unforseen side effects, and might draw unwanted attention
  • You magic affects much more or less than you intended
  • It is readily apparent that you are the one who is behind the spell
On a miss, the magic is beyond your control; whatever happens, you will regret casting the spell.
RANGE(free): Close, Reach, Near
TAGS: Debilitating (-1 damage), Elemental (choose 1), Area (-2 damage), Messy (+1d4 damage), Forceful, Piercing 2, Subtle, Two Targets (-1 damage)

Destroyer
Add the following tags to your Black Magic spells: Close, Area (-2 damage), Messy (+1d4 damage), Piercing 2.
When you cast a Black Magic spell, you may choose a range tag for free.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 20, 2014

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

Hamon, Walker of the Ivory Path, Speaker of the Seven Syllables That Are Best Forgotten, Reader of the Code of Laws That Once Were Lost

A star fell from heaven, falling from the Broken Domain, sent adrift into the world.

But it was both more, and less than a star. He called herself Hamon, and wreathed himself in a cloak of flesh so that she might exist in this world. With a singular mission in mind, he strode forth and spoke words of the Silent God to those who would listen. Enough did, especially those who she could convince of the incredibility of the secrets of the Silent God.

He knows many things, although not necessarily all of the time - due to the fragility of manifesting in such a way. Her form is deathly pale, with immaculate skin, clad in the finest hooded robes and wearing a mask of the richest ivory, depicting a strange mysterious symbol - none have seen his face beneath the mask.

The mission is simultaneously singular and incomprehensibly complex, with various shifting goals that Hamon scribes down in spiralling, illegible script in a tome carried by one of her highest followers, a made of iron with silver pages, the text etched in somehow, bound in golden chains.

He walks the path of ivory, and those enraptured by her words and titles follow meekly, in hopes of fulfilling their place in the greater prophecy.

With this in mind, Hamon set off for these only recently sunken ruins with his entourage, seeking... something, or someone...

Maybe even a home.

pre:
Hamon, Walker of the Ivory Path, Speaker of the Seven Syllables That Are Best Forgotten, Reader of the Code of Laws That Once Were Lost

Look: Perfect Skin, Ornate Robes, Fragile Body

STR	 DEX	CON	INT	WIS	CHA
    9      8     12     13      16      16
   +0     -1     +0     +1      +2      +2

Damage  Armor   HP      Load      Level   XP
    d4    1      16/16    3/3       2      0

Race

Horror: You are some kind of bizarre, alien being, wearing the skin of a
human - perhaps a mind flayer, a cursed pendant, or something far stranger.
Your cult exists to draw upon the life force of these lesser mortals. When
a Chosen One dies, you heal 1d4+1 damage.

Alignment

Lawful: Fulfill a promise to a believer.

Bonds

I want Mr. Atlantic to join my cult.
Dr. Galen von Zieglas doesn't trust me, and I don't trust them.
Bishop will bring about the end of days. I have seen it.
_______________ is a member of my cult.

Your Cult

• Your followers know you as The Shining One.
• Your Chosen Ones are known as The Scribes of Silence.
• Other followers are known as Blessed Listeners.
• Before joining, your cultists were Judges, Lawyers, Watchmen, 
Lawgivers in general.
• Now they are Keepers of Secrets.
• Your cult worships The Silent God.

Starting moves

The Chosen Ones

You begin the game with 3-cult. Each 1-cult you hold represents a Chosen One, a fanatical
believer who will do anything you ask. When you give a command to a Chosen One, 
they will follow it without question - you take the 10+ result on Loyalty checks without 
rolling. When you mark 1-ration, your Chosen Ones are also fed
 Your cult may have any number of followers at a time, but you only have as many Chosen 
Ones as you hold cult. When one of your Chose Ones dies, you lose 1-cult. 
When a move tells you to sacrifice 1-cult, one of your Chosen Ones leaves you 
- either dead or feeling lost and betrayed, the GM will tell you which.
Lost followers are easily replaced. When you spend some downtime in a populated 
area, set your cult at 3. You qualify for the Outstanding Warrants move in any 
area you have used this move in. Each of your Chosen Ones have a single Hireling skill
at +1.
Choose each Chosen Ones' skill when you gain that Chosen One.

Dark Ritual

When you draw on a place of power to create a magical effect, tell the GM what you’re
trying to achieve. Ritual effects are always possible, but the GM will give you one to four
of the following conditions:
• It can only be performed at a certain time on a certain date
• It will require extensive setup
• It will require a blood sacrifice from someone.
• The ritual will forward a Dark Portent
• The ritual's methods are twisted and cruel
• The best you can do is a twisted version, unreliable and strange
• Something will use the ritual as a gateway

Stay Close
When you have a Chosen One within arm's reach and someone rolls a 7-9 on Defy Danger,
you may sacrifice 1-cult to allow them to take the 10+ result

Stay There
When you use a Chosen One to distract an enemy, you may sacrifice 1-cult to allow
someone to take +1d6 forward to damage against that enemy

Whispers in Darkness (WIS)
When you reveal the dark truths of the world to a fragile mind, roll +WIS. On a 10+,
choose three. On a 7-9, choose two. On a 6-, choose one, but the GM also chooses one
to inflict upon you.
• If a Hand or Close weapon is available, they deal their damage to themselves with it.
• They tear at their protections and take -1 ongoing to armor until it is repaired.
• They fall to their knees and weep.
• They don't lash out wildly at you before the truth sinks in

Advanced Moves

Divine Realization

Gain one non-multiclass move from the Priest/Cleric or Druid class list, OR
gain a move from any class list as if you were one level lower than you are.
(Priest->Invocation)

Invocation

When you call out for your deity's aid in a time of need, choose a Blessing and roll +WIS.
On a 10+, your deity will intervene on your behalf - the GM will tell you how. On a 7-9,
your deity will grant your Blessing, but you will also need to choose a Requirement.
Blessing
• Your invocation manipulates the realm your deity Controls.
• Your invocation commands something your deity Represents.
• Your invocation bolsters your deity's Worshippers.
• Your invocation rebukes your deity's Enemies.
Requirement
• Your invocation is obvious and immediate, drawing attention to you.
• The intervention is subtle or takes a while to manifest.
• Your deity demands something in return. The GM will tell you what.
• The divine experience leaves you dizzy with euphoria (or terror). You take -1 ongoing
to Invoke until you have time to pray quietly for a while.

Deity: The Silent God

• Controls (the sun, the seas, the skies): Words
• Represents (love, death, war, wind): Law
• Worshippers (nobles, dwarves, wizards): None/Few (Originally Lawgivers)
• Enemies (demons, undead, heretics): Undead
• Demands (sacrifices, secrets, victory): Byzantine laws to be upheld

Gear:

Ritual Dagger (hand, 1 weight)

Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight, carried by peons)

Lantern (1 weight)

Leather armor (1 armor, 1 weight)

Bag of books (5 uses, 2 weight, carried by peons)
Edit: Whoops, looks like I was using an older version of the Cultist, updating now.

Chosen Ones:
Shadra - +1 Protector
Xaphon - +1 Priest
Korvis - +1 Burglar

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 8, 2014

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Should we continue posting, or are we waiting at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Josselin Angreme, the Wild Shaman

Josselin was born to a coastal village famous for its raiders. The local cottage industry was looting and burning passing merchant boats from small, hard-to-see rafts brought up in darkness. Many of the villagers had infusions of sea life in them, a relic of the past and the magic that still flowed through these lands. It made sea-raiding that much easier. There weren't really a lot of resources to do much else with the rocky shoal they settled on. It had always been a resting place of criminals and wanderers, nestled where no one else would go.

Raised among pirates then, Josselin became a pirate herself from a young age. She started out sharpening harpoons and mending nets for what fishing the village could do, and then sailing out with raiding forces once she was old enough to hold her own spear. She joined in many attacks on the local trade, and the village raiders grew stronger and bolder as they brought back stolen riches.

Eventually their activities moved from 'nuisance' to 'concern' for the local authorities, and they sent a real force to wipe out the pirates. They came in disguise, doing a pretty good imitation of a fat merchant vessel only to spring their trap at the last instant. Many raiders were killed immediately. The others were pursued back to the village, which was burned, and the survivors scattered.

Josselin fell in the first wave of the fighting and plunged into the inky sea. She was stunned by a blow to the head, and would have drowned fairly quickly except that the ocean, always a close friend, began talking to her, its many voices reaching out. She felt her lungs fill with water...and then she simply heard the fish nearby, and breathed.

This was a life-changing experience for the young pirate. She been raised as an aggressive killer and taker, but the ocean wanted more from her than that. She emerged from the surf some days later to find the ashes of her home long cold, and started to wander. Eventually, she found others who had encountered similar experiences to her own. They called themselves the Drowned, and they heard the words of the sea and its denizens.

She listened, and learned, and continued her travelling. As one of the Drowned, she has a close relationship with the water. The near-death experience with the ocean showed her both sides of that dark door, and her previous killing temper has been damped down by an awareness of what it feels like to die. As well, she is preoccupied with the ocean itself, its mysteries and wonders. Aqualantis is such a one, now, having been reclaimed. She wants to see it, and plumb its depths--and maybe there's still a part of her that likes finding treasure.

Drive: Speak for the Spirits: Commune the will of the spirits to those that would listen.

Background: Crossed to the Other Side: A near death experience forever changed you, and only afterwards could you sense the spirits within everything. When you roll at Death's Door, on a 7-9 you may choose the kind of spirit you must bargain with.

Look: Haunting Eyes, Messy Hair, Rangy Body

Str: +1 Dex: +1 Con: +1 Int 0 Wis +2 Cha: -1

HP: 19 Damage Die: d6 Armor 1

Moves:

Born of the Sea: You learned the shamanistic ways in a place whose spirits are strong and ancient you've marked yourself as one of their own. No matter where you go, they live within you and allow you to mimic their qualities. Choose one of the following. It is the land to which you are attuned--when using Wild Essence you may suppose the mantle of animal who might live in the land. Choice: The Open Sea

By Nature Sustained: You don't need to eat or drink. If a move tells you to mark off a ration you get to ignore it.

Spirit Tongue: The grunts, barks, chirps and calls of the creatures of the wild are as language to you. You can understand any animal native to your land or akin to one whose essence you have studied.

Wild Essence: When you call upon the spirits to imbue you with the mangle of an animal's essence, roll +WIS. *On a 10+, hold 3. *On a 7-9, hold 2. *On a miss hold 1 in addition to whatever the GM says. You may express the physical form and manner of any species whose essence you have studied or who lives in your land. You express any innate abilities and weaknesses of the species. You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder or easier to trigger while in Wild Essence. The GM will also tell you one or more moves associated with your Wild Essence. Spend 1 hold to make that move. Once you're out of hold, you return to your natural state of being. At any time, you may spend all of your hold and revert to your natural state of being.

Elemental Mastery: When you call upon the primal spirits of fire, water, earth or air to grant you wisdom to perform a task, roll +WIS. *On a 10+ choose two. *On a 7-9 choose one. *On a 6 or less some catastrophe occurs as a result.
* The effect you desire can come to pass with minimal effort.
* You avoid paying nature's price.
* You retain control.

Gear: Shark hide armor (1 armor, 1 weight), harpoon (close, thrown, near, 1 weight), poultices and herbs (2 uses, 1 weight) and pipeleaf (3 uses, 0 weight), necklace of bones, pearls, and scales, and an intricate, ancient coral bracelet.

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 21, 2014

• Locked thread