Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I made a conversion of the BattleTech Domination card game just now: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=298639406

Card image quality is kind of meh because the deck building tool on Nexus' newest version that can do hi-res is really flaky for me, so I had to use an older version that was more reliable. I can read the cards fine, but I hope it's not an issue for anyone.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Three super cool updates have been made recently but I just lost my sizable effort post about why they're super cool! So here are just two link dumps to the change announcements! Because gently caress. God damnit.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/TabletopSimulator/announcements/detail/197348634829992304

http://steamcommunity.com/games/TabletopSimulator/announcements/detail/193971568706359503

http://steamcommunity.com/games/TabletopSimulator/announcements/detail/193972927504182813

A lot of neat quality-of-life improvements and UI things have been added. Cool stuff.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Does nobody play this anymore or just nobody posts about it? I went looking for this thread because I wanted to share a thing I made, but it's been four months dead. I hope enough people got the game on sale to revive the thread.

Anyway, on to the thing I made - I was surprised to not see Knightmare Chess on the workshop, so I scanned the 'set 2' I had sitting in a drawer.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363692154

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

Does nobody play this anymore or just nobody posts about it? I went looking for this thread because I wanted to share a thing I made, but it's been four months dead. I hope enough people got the game on sale to revive the thread.

Anyway, on to the thing I made - I was surprised to not see Knightmare Chess on the workshop, so I scanned the 'set 2' I had sitting in a drawer.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=363692154

I really like the concept but besides playing 1-on-1 netrunner which isn't for everyone / you have to be in a certain mood, it seems to be impossible to get anyone to sit still for 2 seconds long enough to play a real game, and all anyone ever seems to want to do is play loving Uno and Cards against Humanity.

I kind of don't blame them though because whenever I load up a new game and see a confusing, vague rules document and 4 of my friends expect me to explain everything to them perfectly in 2 seconds I totally understand why Uno and CaH are so popular. They're really loving easy. Which has a lot of value in TTS.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I'm lucky to have friends who have enough attention span to sit down and do something like this. A lot of us got it during the steam sale, and we've played a lot of Betrayal in House on the Hill this week, with none of us having played the game before.

There's a lot of stuff in here we want to try, so for us this was a good buy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't have this game yet, and can't check the workshop right now, but I'm really hoping that Survive! Escape from Atlantis, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Space Alert, and a game from my childhood, Dark World end up being remade.

For reference: http://youtu.be/nu5rc0BpxZo

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

In case any goons are Star Wars fans, I'm nearly finished with converting the old Epic Duels game. I've got all the decks ready, but need to finish a few miscellaneous parts when I get home from an extended holiday trip.

It's a fun, but strange game. At the very least, its been a good bunch of practice converting VASSAL assets to tabletop simulator.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't have this game yet, and can't check the workshop right now, but I'm really hoping that Survive! Escape from Atlantis, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Space Alert, and a game from my childhood, Dark World end up being remade.

For reference: http://youtu.be/nu5rc0BpxZo

There's something called "SURVIVE! Escape the Island" but no Atlantis version, Betrayal is there, Space Alert is not (there's a thing called X-Men Alert but I have no idea if it's related), Dark World is not.

Also I just (a couple hours ago) finished putting together and uploading the old Netrunner card game (the WotC one from like 18 years ago, not the new Android Netrunner.) It's just all the cards, you need to make decks yourself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edit:^^^ (Thanks for checking! I was able to have a quick look and found even more games I'd love to play.)

Holy gently caress, I'm absolutely blown away by not only how many games have been modded in, but the level of quality for a lot of them is astounding.

I need this game in my life.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 3, 2015

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Someone just added Battletech terrain and is adding minis too. :allears:

There's also Space Hulk (the board and card game) and I'm wondering how long it will be before GW finds out and gets it pulled.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I wonder if companies will take notice and Fantasy Grounds this up by getting with the devs and adding in DLC module support and then releasing their own official and professional modules for the game. As much as I like playing half these games for free, I could see myself throwing $10 towards an official version. I've already done that with Ticket To Ride and had I not heard many problems about them would have with Catan and Small World.

Also, imagine features like snap-to boards with certain pieces snapping certain places and others not. Like trains v. cards in Ticket To Ride. Although that said I want various autonomy options so I can still choose what I do by hand. I'm a sperg for board games and half my fun is found in manually rolling/drawing/moving. King Of Tokyo wouldn't be half as fun if I couldn't smash my monster into theirs to take the city.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I wonder if companies will take notice and Fantasy Grounds this up by getting with the devs and adding in DLC module support and then releasing their own official and professional modules for the game. As much as I like playing half these games for free, I could see myself throwing $10 towards an official version. I've already done that with Ticket To Ride and had I not heard many problems about them would have with Catan and Small World.

I can't see any support for official paid DLC getting added. The way saves work, they'd probably have to rebuild the whole save system to secure it in any way. In fact, they fairly recently switched to a plain text .json save format so it's even more open than it used to be.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If these companies could be financially bothered to invest a little I'm sure they'd be willing to listen. Or I guess if lawyers got involved but I like to see this hobby as constructive and cooperative and also pretend GW doesn't exist. :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

:toot: Was just gifted this game by a friend of mine. Can't wait to check it out tomorrow and download everything from the workshop.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Flicking just got added, so make with the physics-based games on the workshop! Shuffleboard or something in that vein, maybe?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The BSG board game is on here, so now I'm interested in playing this. Any of you up for it?

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The BSG board game is on here, so now I'm interested in playing this. Any of you up for it?

I've heard that's really really good, I might be interested.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

m2pt5 posted:

Flicking just got added, so make with the physics-based games on the workshop! Shuffleboard or something in that vein, maybe?

Crokinole's already on there.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I've played the actual board game a couple times before. I should know the rules well enough, I just need to grab the damage roll sheets. If we can get five people for it, I reckon we'd have a good time.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Gimnbo posted:

Crokinole's already on there.

I hope someone does Catacombs soon.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I'd love to get some BSG going and have led many groups of friends so I'm pretty good about getting it to run smoothly (Base game only though, never played expansions).

Is this the only thread about Tabletop Simulator? I'm surprised that it's the only thing I've found and it's pretty dead. I just picked this game up and have been very impressed with it, I just need more people to play things with!

e: This thread is so old, there have been a ton of improvements to the game. A deck builder has been incorporated, items can be semi-locked so that they don't get knocked over, and a tablet has been added for in-game web browsing. I played some games with a friend yesterday where we were able to bring up rules using the tablet and leave it on the table as a quick reference so it works great. You can also use it to access youtube playlists or other sites for streaming music that everyone can hear.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 11, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Teeter posted:

I'd love to get some BSG going and have led many groups of friends so I'm pretty good about getting it to run smoothly (Base game only though, never played expansions).

Is this the only thread about Tabletop Simulator? I'm surprised that it's the only thing I've found and it's pretty dead. I just picked this game up and have been very impressed with it, I just need more people to play things with!

e: This thread is so old, there have been a ton of improvements to the game. A deck builder has been incorporated, items can be semi-locked so that they don't get knocked over, and a tablet has been added for in-game web browsing. I played some games with a friend yesterday where we were able to bring up rules using the tablet and leave it on the table as a quick reference so it works great. You can also use it to access youtube playlists or other sites for streaming music that everyone can hear.

Yeah, I don't know why this thread doesn't get more love, this seems to be the game that keeps on giving, and the modding community is really knocking it out of the park. I've already downloaded pretty much every single one of my favourite games.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Has anyone played DnD on this yet? It's the only thing I'd really want to try out on it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You can it'll just have no automatic numbers and you'll have to keep a character sheet in another program / irl.

Honestly Fantasy Grounds is still the way to go though with the virtual tablet we're fairly close.

Speaking of, I hosed around with those for the first time the other night. I had one open playing YouTube, one browsing a site, and one playing that ImNotXizzy version of Cards Against Humanity, all on a virtual tabletop, all running smoothly. It's pretty loving impressive.

e: Also you should check out some board games too. D&D is great but some board games are absolutely some of the most fun I've ever had and this will let you play them relatively flawlessly. It's not like Vassal and doesn't have automatic rule enforcement, but I sure as gently caress don't want that either.

For a while a clan I play with had weekly thing where we'd play card games and bet on poo poo while one of them did some streaming DJ poo poo and it was basically internet poker night. Real chill, real awesome.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 11, 2015

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The new deck builder tool is awesome and I am so glad it got implemented. Managed to update the BattleTech Domination mod I did thanks to it not being a mess like the old one.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You can it'll just have no automatic numbers and you'll have to keep a character sheet in another program / irl.

Honestly Fantasy Grounds is still the way to go though with the virtual tablet we're fairly close.

Speaking of, I hosed around with those for the first time the other night. I had one open playing YouTube, one browsing a site, and one playing that ImNotXizzy version of Cards Against Humanity, all on a virtual tabletop, all running smoothly. It's pretty loving impressive.

e: Also you should check out some board games too. D&D is great but some board games are absolutely some of the most fun I've ever had and this will let you play them relatively flawlessly. It's not like Vassal and doesn't have automatic rule enforcement, but I sure as gently caress don't want that either.

For a while a clan I play with had weekly thing where we'd play card games and bet on poo poo while one of them did some streaming DJ poo poo and it was basically internet poker night. Real chill, real awesome.

This is exactly what I'm looking for as my game group was recently decimated by 2 friends moving away. I was blown away at how effective this game is for creating a chill but fun interactive hangout spot. Not only that, but it just worked. No fussing around with mods, patches, or cracks, just join a server and it's ready to go. Even the controls were better than I expected as it all becomes second nature within a few minutes and everyone can easily manipulate things how they need.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
My group too was destroyed by growing up. drat YOOOOOU!!! :argh:

For a while we used Fantasy Grounds to play D&D but that died and our attempts to play the games we used to in college (King Of Tokyo, Pandemic, Scottland Yard, Robo Rally, etc.) with this hit Macbook technical issues and people just "Not feeling like it tonight." But for the few times I have used this plus a VOIP program it's basically like we're all together again.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I don't know why this thread doesn't get more love, this seems to be the game that keeps on giving, and the modding community is really knocking it out of the park. I've already downloaded pretty much every single one of my favourite games.

It's pretty simple, really, the majority of the posters who are seriously interested in sitting down and playing board games online would rather play on a website like BoardGameArena, or on an iPad app of their favorite game, or even VASSAL. A good amount of people would even rather play in the play-by-post forum than fiddle around with a clunky interface where you have to ALT-hover over cards to read them, and where one false move sends a stack of pieces flying, or where the card you're trying to play keeps falling back into your hand because you were one nanometer too close to the edge of the table.

I own Tabletop Simulator and have played a few games on it, but after the novelty wears off there's not much reason to use it over any of the alternatives. I don't fault the program itself for any of these things, playing games on it is certainly doable and perfectly serviceable, it just so happens that there are better alternatives unless not being able to gently caress around with physics, draw on the table, and play youtubes on a virtual tablet is a deal-breaker for you.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
With the recent updates it's far better in regards to the issues you've mentioned. You can lock objects so they can still be picked up but not physically knocked and zooming in on a card is a middle-mouse click away, not that ALT was hard to hit anyway. The main problem with ALT is that if you don't set up the cards with it in mind they can display sideways or upside down on the zoom.

As for the hand issue, I believe that's still prevalent though they may have reduced the sensitivity/area for poo poo to jump into your hand.

That said, this has more charm than the other options and that goes a long way for me personally. I like moving physical pieces in an actual space and having to do other such things. VASSAL is too cold and sterile for anything but by-the-numbers playing in my tastes.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
What kind of grognard must one be to actually play-by-post?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Smoremaster posted:

What kind of grognard must one be to actually play-by-post?
There aren't any requirements or gatekeeping in terms of playing pbp games, so as long as you are a regular person you should be good to go.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I just bought a four-pack of this, gonna see if I can get some buds in on some games.

If any goons want a friend to play games with, just add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/Athaboros/

I've played a lot of stuff like BSG, Pandemic, the Ticket to Ride games, Carcassonne, Innovation, Memoir '44, and such, and have been wanting to get in more games of Twilight Struggle and War of the Ring (I own both, but it's hard to get them on the table). I'm glad to see there are so many modules for this already!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

New update, finally added a joint tool to link objects together. Nice.

Too bad it doesn't override semi-lock, so you can't pick up a linked group of objects by a single one with semi-lock on.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Oh wow, didn't know there was a thread about this.
Made some workshop stuff, add me or whatever if you want to play anything! http://steamcommunity.com/id/lljkSMA/myworkshopfiles/?appid=286160

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is quite an amazing toolset.
I mainly got it to have a virtual version of Pixel Tactics and Sellswords (some great easy-to-play 2 player card games by Level 99 Games), but it's so cool to see so much content available in under a year.

Feel free to add me, although I don't know if I'll be able to play any of the more complicated games with like a bazillion pieces, haha.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jazzflight

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 22, 2015

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/satabletopsimulator

Have a Steam group. If anyone has any ideas for events or the group icon, I would take suggestions.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Roluth posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/satabletopsimulator

Have a Steam group. If anyone has any ideas for events or the group icon, I would take suggestions.

Grenade chess piece.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Figured I'd bump this thread with 2 things:

1: http://berserk-games.com/buy/ The game is on sale for -25% for the next 2 weeks, both single and 4-pack copies of it.

2: If anyone plays Carcassonne ( There's a really good upload of it on the workshop, with a ton of expansions. ) I just uploaded some of the figures, since it was getting a bit hard to see what was where, with those weird stands.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=439955489

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

We ought to organise some Chaos in the Old World or Battlestar Galactica. I'm usually around 19:00 GMT every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

We ought to organise some Chaos in the Old World or Battlestar Galactica. I'm usually around 19:00 GMT every day.

I don't know how to play either of these games, but I'm down.

• Locked thread