Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Convex posted:

BJ looks like an inflated Anderson Cooper.

Also this game looks awesome but after the state Rage shipped in I'm waiting until release before I consider it. Really hope the rumours of a non-swastika UK version are false as well.

This game is developed by ex-Starbreeze founders, not Id so i wouldn't be worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I have to say the marketing is doing a bang up job of hyping me up for this game. Honestly though all I want out of it is to fire ridiculously overengineered dual-wielded guns at enemies who pop like balloons full of cherry pie filling.

Any depth whatsoever to the plot will be icing on the swastika.

edit: and whoever said there should be a nazi radio station toggle definitely has the right idea.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 5, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Happy 22nd birthday, Wolf3D! :toot:

Beast
May 2, 2004
thirsty for justice
Well I was planning to pre order but I am getting the impression Bethesda give very few fucks about the PC version given they have released minimum requirements that state it needs an i7 chip and then refused to answer any further questions.

Mein Leiben.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I don't think there's really such a thing as a bad wolfenstein game and the footage for this looks like a great blend of old school and new school shooters. I hope it sells well so we get more games that throw realism out the window.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

echronorian posted:

I don't think there's really such a thing as a bad wolfenstein game and the footage for this looks like a great blend of old school and new school shooters. I hope it sells well so we get more games that throw realism out the window.

Seriously. I lost count of how many potentially great shooters were ruined by the "two guns only" rule years ago.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Seriously. I lost count of how many potentially great shooters were ruined by the "two guns only" rule years ago.

Yeah, that's one reason I vastly prefer Wolf 09 and Rage to almost any other console shooter from the last gen. It makes sense in CoD and Halo but beyond that it just feels like an arbitrary restriction.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That, and the map design. I'm really excited to see if they can make good on diverging paths.

I might be alone on this but I'd love a big budget shooter with huge weird abstract maps and key hunts. I know it won't but I'm hoping the new doom is more like doom 2 than Doom 3.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Convex posted:

Yeah, that's one reason I vastly prefer Wolf 09 and Rage to almost any other console shooter from the last gen. It makes sense in CoD and Halo but beyond that it just feels like an arbitrary restriction.
While I definitely prefer having a huge fuckoff arsenal at my disposal, Singularity only allowed 2 weapons at a time and it ultimately didn't bother my very much. Maybe years of CoD and Halo have conditioned me not to hate it?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

echronorian posted:

That, and the map design. I'm really excited to see if they can make good on diverging paths.

I might be alone on this but I'd love a big budget shooter with huge weird abstract maps and key hunts. I know it won't but I'm hoping the new doom is more like doom 2 than Doom 3.

I don't know if the game is going to follow the old school key finding/door unlocking mechanic, but good news to me is that levels don't really seem entirely linear, but more like each one is a large arena you're free to run around in, kind of like Dishonored style levels, supporting both stealth and actiony approaches.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Just for the record, SteamDB is wrong and in Australia the game has a R18 rating without any modifications to the game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

While I definitely prefer having a huge fuckoff arsenal at my disposal, Singularity only allowed 2 weapons at a time and it ultimately didn't bother my very much. Maybe years of CoD and Halo have conditioned me not to hate it?

Strangely enough I think Singularity bothered me the most, because each weapon was really fun to use and it forced me to choose between them. It would have been way more fun if you could just carry all of them at once. gently caress it, if I can travel through time, instantly age people into skeletons and stop bullets in mid air, I should be able to carry more than two guns.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Singularity's biggest sin was having a giant fuckoff awesome sniper rifle but giving the player like ten shots with it.

e: this thing http://singularity.wikia.com/wiki/Seeker_Rifle

Singularity was good but had a lot of problems and probably lead to the death of Raven having taken so long to actually come out. :saddowns: It's multiplayer was absolutely DOA too.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Holy poo poo.

Min hard drive space: 50 GB

Fifty Gigabytes of space

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Holy poo poo.

Min hard drive space: 50 GB

Fifty Gigabytes of space

This is pretty much what games take up now. So much for SSD's, they were a fun idea while they lasted.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
This looks aggressively mediocre so far. Buncha stiff robot dudes standing around waiting obligingly to be shot. OH MY GOD MAYHEM you shoot them with a big explodey OH MY GOD SNEAKY you shoot them with a silenced gun that goes "pew".

Cool music, though. What's that German rock & roll track in the stealth/mayhem trailer?

EDIT: I am a dumb, it's something composed for the game. That, admittedly, is a neat hook.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 6, 2014

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I remember playing lots of RTCW:ET when I was younger. I fired it up out of nostalgia sake a while ago with a buddy who played it with me, and we miraculously found servers which were populated and still up. Try and find ones with the no quarter mod, as it adds interesting junk like shotcam's for mortars and dual mp40's. I still have fond memories of jumping atop of mortar's on friendly fire off servers to get a magical ride across the map while the poor fellow doing the propelling turns into a mass of red chunks followed by expletives.

spiky butthole fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 6, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

univbee posted:

This is pretty much what games take up now. So much for SSD's, they were a fun idea while they lasted.

Nah, nowhere close really. The norm is around like 10-15 gigs, the largest 10 percent or so of games taking an average of something more like 18-20 gigs.

50 GB for one game is extremely rare if not basically unheard of. Even MMOs don't come anywhere near that.

ID Tech 5 games are usually relatively huge though, usually due to the way the engine requires textures to be handled. In other words the engine requires the game to have its own boatload of mega-textures to work with, which tend to take up a ton of space.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
40-50GB games are already here, and with the exception of cross-platform stuff which hovers around 15GB a lot of the time, 30+GB games have been on the Playstation side of things for a couple of years.

This is probably not the best example, but a base install of BF4 is around 30GB, each DLC they've released adds at least another 5GB each time, with more still to come.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 7, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

50 GB for one game is extremely rare if not basically unheard of. Even MMOs don't come anywhere near that.

It's getting increasingly common. Battlefield 4, as mentioned, also Watch Dogs and CoD Ghosts are at least in 40-gig range (and have pending DLC). I think World of Warcraft needs considerably more than 30 gigs with cache files, although I haven't played in a while so I'm not 100% on that. It's not super-common yet but it's very quickly becoming the norm for AAA titles.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Man, who would've thought hard drive space would end up being the limiting factor for my PC not being able to keep up with modern games.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That hard drive requirement kinda pushes me towards looking to play this on the PS4.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Trigger Warning: Reddit

One of the devs is doing an AMA on Reddit (or did, I don't know if it's over) and it's a somewhat interesting if not totally mindblowing read. Here's some of the more relevant stuff:

Jens Matthies posted:

If you collect everything and explore everywhere I think a single play through could end up close to 20 hours. But there's also lots of incentive to make a second play through, especially to explore the alternate time line.

Jens Matthies posted:

The Nazis took control because they had somehow obtained access to some mysterious 1000x more powerful technology.

Jens Matthies posted:

The focus is on a darker, more serious story with some humor. You can compare the tone to something like Inglorious Basterds or District 9. It's a lot of fun and mayhem, but there's a sinister undercurrent and truthful drama carrying the story.

Jens Matthies posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order is a lot more old school with much less linear map design than most other modern games.

Jens Matthies posted:

We've spent lots of time on this and there's tons of stuff to collect in the game. I think you'll be very happy :)

Reddit User posted:

Hi Jens! I remember reading about W:TNO when you were first revealing it, and being very excited about an opening scene involving a Nazi officer interviewing you with a deck of cards. It sounds like a very tense non-combat encounter not unlike the opening of Inglorious Basterds, one of my all time favorite scenes in any film. My question is this: is this encounter still in the game, and will there be more of these tense, non-combat encounters in the game?

Jens Matthies posted:

Yes, and yes! I don't want to give spoilers, but we work a lot with the pacing of the game. We think of it more as an action adventure than a straight up shooter. Although it is very heavy on the action ;)

Jens Matthies posted:

We knew that we'd make the best possible game if the entire studio was fully focused on a stellar single player experience. Adding multiplayer would split our focus and reduce quality over all. It was not a sacrifice we were willing to make.

He also said,

Jens Matthies posted:

Yeah, the specs are the specs. It's a jungle on the CPU front, and the i7 is what the tech guys can get behind.
But again I wouldn't take that into account too much. It definitely sounds like they just threw i7 out as the easiest thing to support because it's the "best." The Specs don't even specify (ha) which i7, so they're basically useless as far as I'm concerned.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 9, 2014

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I was really hoping for co-op multiplayer :( Not enough games have campaign coop any more.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yay as much as I miss Doom deathmatch and Serious Sam DM I'm really glad they are sticking to a single player focus. More shooters would stand out if that stance was taken. Save for your UT Team Fortresses and CS and Battlefields.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
He also mentioned something that backed up what one goon spotted earlier: there is a "timeline" present and it can diverge. From what the developer says, it seems to indicate only one way or the other, but he said that while in most games it'd just be a different ending cinematic here they took it into account throughout the campaign. There's also mentions of "plenty of unlockables" for beating the game; I'd love to see things like alternate costumes and bizarre weapons return instead of being DLC, so here's hoping it's like that.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jiro posted:

Yay as much as I miss Doom deathmatch and Serious Sam DM I'm really glad they are sticking to a single player focus. More shooters would stand out if that stance was taken.

Agreed 100%. Not every shooter needs to try to be the next big thing in multiplayer gaming, and I feel that in a lot of instances focusing on a multiplayer mode instead of devoting those resources to single player is detrimental to the game. Besides, most FPS multiplayer games lose their playerbase within a few months.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
They probably felt that if they couldn't live up to RTCW's MP that it's better not to put something out that's half baked (see: what happened to Wolf 09).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
There was some comedian on the radio in Philly the other morning talking about the original game and he kept pronouncing the name "Wolfensteen" and it was driving me crazy. Welp that's my story.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Sammus posted:

Agreed 100%. Not every shooter needs to try to be the next big thing in multiplayer gaming, and I feel that in a lot of instances focusing on a multiplayer mode instead of devoting those resources to single player is detrimental to the game. Besides, most FPS multiplayer games lose their playerbase within a few months.

Yep. If devs put in half the effort they spend on OMG GOTTA BEAT CALLADUTY into the single player, that'd be wonderful. Just give me a solid single player game with a good co-op mechanic, I'm bored to death of adversarial PvP poo poo.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Disgusting Coward posted:

This looks aggressively mediocre so far. Buncha stiff robot dudes standing around waiting obligingly to be shot. OH MY GOD MAYHEM you shoot them with a big explodey OH MY GOD SNEAKY you shoot them with a silenced gun that goes "pew".
I mean what would you rather have? I mean I guess I might have a warped view but to me it seems like at least the enemies aren't like one dimensional cardboard hit-scan spewers like in Bioshock Infinite. They seem to have much more variety in enemy types than any other FPS I've seen lately.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 10, 2014

Hamsalad
May 28, 2007
i am torgo
Does anyone know of specials going on? Would be cool to get this for less that 60 bucks...especially since its an SP only game.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Hamsalad posted:

Does anyone know of specials going on? Would be cool to get this for less that 60 bucks...especially since its an SP only game.

If you preordered it on the PSN earlier this week i think it was $53.. Donno if that's still going on.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
"I’ve also been a little unsettled by what I’ve seen of Wolfenstein so far. There’s a very long essay to be written about how video games have turned Nazis into Saturday morning cartoon supervillains. Indiana Jones, Inglourious Basterds, and other films have of course also used them in the context of World War II adventure, revenge fantasy, etc. But there’s something about the Wolfenstein marketing and world-building that feels kind of gross. Maybe it’s the usage of Third Reich style as a slick video game aesthetic? Maybe it’s that the whole mecha-Hilter camp clashes badly with the realism of modern game visuals?"

http://www.avclub.com/article/it-okay-wolfenstein-turn-nazis-cartoons-204460

What the gently caress is this article? The little section about Gone Home at the bottom is another bonus.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Yeah, there was a similar article around the time of the first press previews going out, where a guy said that the Nazis (in the game) were basically parodies of what actually happened in WW2 and that it was lessening what actually happened. I guess I kind of see where they're coming from but then also...you're still killing them. I don't think anyone complains about turning terrorists into make-believe villains in CoD or whatever. Just seems like they wanted to grab attention.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I was thinking about that subject the other day when replaying RTCW. I've played the game a bunch of times and it often comes across as very "Springtime for Hitler." On the one hand, there's very competent and truly evil guys (Deathshead), but most of the game's dialogue is filled with your run of the mill Wehrmacht or SS complaining about their jobs. It's hard to tell if it's truly biting satire or if it's just too much Hogan's Heroes seeping through.

Whether New Order will be able to go Tarantino enough to have something as powerful and meaningful as its theater scenes, we'll see. But it looks like all their thoughts are based on the trailers, not playing the game through to completion. Most of the preview material has people saying that the future Nazi 1960s are pretty bleak and awful. Even if BJ wins, how do you fix that?

We'll have to see for ourselves I guess.

quote:

I don't think anyone complains about turning terrorists into make-believe villains in CoD or whatever.

People have complained about this stuff but it's definitely not in the mainstream.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Wait, what? The Nazis didn't have towering mechs and mutants?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Contra Calculus posted:

Wait, what? The Nazis didn't have towering mechs and mutants?

Third grade me is so disappointed, I know.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

a bone to pick posted:

"I’ve also been a little unsettled by what I’ve seen of Wolfenstein so far. There’s a very long essay to be written about how video games have turned Nazis into Saturday morning cartoon supervillains. Indiana Jones, Inglourious Basterds, and other films have of course also used them in the context of World War II adventure, revenge fantasy, etc. But there’s something about the Wolfenstein marketing and world-building that feels kind of gross. Maybe it’s the usage of Third Reich style as a slick video game aesthetic? Maybe it’s that the whole mecha-Hilter camp clashes badly with the realism of modern game visuals?"

It takes a real fisherman to find some kind of way to take offense at killing Nazis of all people. I don't think every game has to go all realistic "war is hell" type stuff, we get plenty of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

It takes a real fisherman to find some kind of way to take offense at killing Nazis of all people. I don't think every game has to go all realistic "war is hell" type stuff, we get plenty of that.

I like to think that modern digital journalism self selects for subtle trolls who write inflammatory pieces that get the users clicking and therefore more ad revenues. Hence the atlantic devoting an entire section of their site to "the sexes" where mens rights people can engage in their digital insurgency against feminists 24/7-- as long as they keep clicking.

• Locked thread