Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I just got 4 on sale, so I'll wait and see for this one.

I wonder if multiplayer would be better handled by letting each player take charge of one of the factions, and one Presidente running the entire thing with other humans to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

I just got 4 on sale, so I'll wait and see for this one.

I wonder if multiplayer would be better handled by letting each player take charge of one of the factions, and one Presidente running the entire thing with other humans to worry about.

I want to play as the Builder's Union, so when El Presidente cant get poo poo done because none of the 12 workers feel like building that hospital, at least there's a reason behind it.

That said I love Tropico 4, and why on earth do I have a byob gang tag

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Probably my favorite tycoon style game of all time. Already pre-ordered and waiting anxiously.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I'm pretty excited for this game, I wish they'd release more than a feature list though. I want a video showcase that shows off how the dynasty stuff works, as it is I'm not optimistic they've done any of the new stuff well.

My ideal timeline for the game would be that you start in colonial times and stay in power in the relative lawlessness with the help of violent thugs. Then as the political situation improves and expands you can use more subtle means, or just employ teams of violent thugs to beat up everyone as usual.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 26, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I always felt that the citizens were the coolest element of Tropico, and I hope they can do some additional interesting stuff with them this time around. They worked well for the economic and social sim aspect, but it seemed like they didn't have any special personality, besides a few random variables determining how they felt about you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I always felt that the citizens were the coolest element of Tropico, and I hope they can do some additional interesting stuff with them this time around. They worked well for the economic and social sim aspect, but it seemed like they didn't have any special personality, besides a few random variables determining how they felt about you.

Citizens are the best thing, agent systems aren't that great but it's worked well in Tropico because at least they aren't shackled to roads like they are in other games (looking at you SimCity). My only issue with them has always been that travel times in games like this are the worst, the implementation of a day/night cycle where people work 8 hours and then go home would be beneficial so my gold miners aren't always walking back to the city and starving on the way.

I'm really not sure about the dynasty system though, it's either going to be amazing or a complete wash. If they model them on the map and let them be the target of assassinations and rebel attacks that will be good. But I have the feeling they'll be abstracted and the best thing we can hope for is a Medieval 2: Total War style family tree where you get to click on a guy and assign him a job or whatever, I hope I'm wrong though.

Plus if they can work in other powerful families and oligarchs that will be really cool. Someone owning a plantation on the edge of your city with a big mansion, forcing you to use bribes and agents to keep them happy or under your thumb. This would be a cool way to model politics as well, your closest ally's son is a communist, and if he inherits he's going to bring a lot of money and power to their faction. So you can deal with that or risk angering his dad, your closest ally, by assassinating him.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I spent ungodly amounts of time just prettying up my city with bushes, trees and gardens. I hope Tropico 5 will give me the same tools to be able to do so :ohdear:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I want the option to ethnically cleanse the nationalists. El Diablo just really, really makes me irrationally angry. That and I hope there are better roads and buildings snap to the ground better. Nothing was more irritating than having one building out of six identical ones just refuse to be placed because of some weird invisible terrain glitch.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I hope they've made some significant changes since Tropico 4 to make buying yet another game so soon worthwhile.

But if Kalypso is offering one accursed boon that binds poor souls' wallets to their evil will, I wish they'd teach the Tropicans how to drive properly. A GARAGE IS OVERLOADED.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not worried about this being a major change, we're not going to see the sameness of 3 to 4. 4 was the same engine, same interface, same building models and mostly the same buildings just with an update. This is a whole new game. I don't know if it will be good, but it won't be tropico 4.5.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I'm pretty excited for this game, I wish they'd release more than a feature list though. I want a video showcase that shows off how the dynasty stuff works, as it is I'm not optimistic they've done any of the new stuff well.

The dynasty stuff is the thing I'm most interested in as well. Wikipedia says you manage the country from its foundation in the "colonial era", which is a long loving era, especially as far as the Caribbean is concerned. I assume they won't be letting you start in like the 1500s, but maybe that's for future expansions. From the screenshots it seems you start somewhere around the late 1800s/early 1900s.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not worried about this being a major change, we're not going to see the sameness of 3 to 4. 4 was the same engine, same interface, same building models and mostly the same buildings just with an update. This is a whole new game. I don't know if it will be good, but it won't be tropico 4.5.

Well the last time the series tried that we got Tropico 2. And, love it or hate it, it was a very long time before Tropico 3 came out after that. It nearly killed the series. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Joshlemagne posted:

Well the last time the series tried that we got Tropico 2. And, love it or hate it, it was a very long time before Tropico 3 came out after that. It nearly killed the series. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

Tropico 2 was just sort of doomed from the outset though. The theme was radically different which didn't necessarily mean it was going to be bad, but it meant they'd have to do more to win people's suspicion over. 5 isn't doing anything weird, it's just expanding the timeline a bit, something Modern Times did to great success.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Citizens are the best thing, agent systems aren't that great but it's worked well in Tropico because at least they aren't shackled to roads like they are in other games (looking at you SimCity). My only issue with them has always been that travel times in games like this are the worst, the implementation of a day/night cycle where people work 8 hours and then go home would be beneficial so my gold miners aren't always walking back to the city and starving on the way.

I'm really not sure about the dynasty system though, it's either going to be amazing or a complete wash. If they model them on the map and let them be the target of assassinations and rebel attacks that will be good. But I have the feeling they'll be abstracted and the best thing we can hope for is a Medieval 2: Total War style family tree where you get to click on a guy and assign him a job or whatever, I hope I'm wrong though.

Plus if they can work in other powerful families and oligarchs that will be really cool. Someone owning a plantation on the edge of your city with a big mansion, forcing you to use bribes and agents to keep them happy or under your thumb. This would be a cool way to model politics as well, your closest ally's son is a communist, and if he inherits he's going to bring a lot of money and power to their faction. So you can deal with that or risk angering his dad, your closest ally, by assassinating him.

Yeah they pretty much have to keep the agent system where people spend a lot of commuting from place to place to fill all their needs, and eventually head into the office for a minute's work before they get bored and waddle over to the bar. The economy is relaxed enough that usually it's okay if no one's working at the factory at any moment, but I hope that Kalypso is working on ways to keep the aggravation factor down -- maybe some kind of mechanic where you can pay for production or work to be done? It would also be interesting to see some kind of private businesses that actually have a profit motive, foreign investment, etc. Whatever the changes to the economy I hope they're ambitious, because Tropico 4 has effectively the same ancient economics as the first game.

e: And we need some quality of life improvements like boulevards and buses, or something so you don't have to spend all your time micromanaging workers' errand patterns, but that goes without saying

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 29, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone else doing a 4-pack?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/DrArbitrary

Deadmeat and Phantom, get in touch with me on Steam so you can get your game. I have 2 copies left.

1. Dr. Arbitrary http://steamcommunity.com/id/DrArbitrary
2. Deadmeat5150
3. Demiurge4 http://steamcommunity.com/id/Demiurge
4. PhantomZero http://steamcommunity.com/id/PhantomZero

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 5, 2014

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Tropico 2 goes out of its way to make you want to kill all of your pirates. They are the biggest whiniest sons of wenches ever.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just in case anyone didn't already know, if you preorder Tropico 5 on steam you'll get day one dlc :rant:, Tropico 4 and Omerta for free.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I just pre-ordered because I'm pretty sure I'll be playing every Tropico game ever made until I die, but man am I a bit underwhelmed by the latest batch of screenshots. So far Tropico has yet to live up to the density and detail of this ancient promotional fake-screenshot from Tropico 4. Are parked cars and alleyways and telephone poles too much to add even into a new game in the series?

Poil posted:

Just in case anyone didn't already know, if you preorder Tropico 5 on steam you'll get day one dlc :rant:, Tropico 4 and Omerta for free.

And at least one of those games is enjoyable to play. I kid, I kid!

They're both deeply flawed. I'm joking!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

If someone wants to start one I'll get in on it too.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'll do a 4-pack, sure.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Demiurge

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
I'm in as well.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/PhantomZero

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Count me in as well

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Gyrobot

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

edit: Got my copy :D

Mayor Defacto fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 7, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Got my copy from Dr. Arbitrary, cheers. The EU pricing is really goddamn ridiculous and it seems to be getting worse. $27 in the 4-pack versus €40 if I bought it myself means I got it 50% off. If I bought the 4-pack myself I'd still be paying $41 a pop at the current exchange rate.

Looking forward to it though, I had planned to wait it out because of the pricing but I'm quite happy with this and now I can't wait to be a fascist dickhole.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Is there still some 4-pack nonsense going on? Please let me know.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BabySkeletons/

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I started with 4 and now it's one of my favourite games of all time. I tried going back to 3 but I dunno, it doesn't really have any of the goofy campaign stuff I loved about 4, plus it was just really clunky.

I'm hoping 5 continues the story of building giant golden statues of yourself to fight the illuminati on the moon.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Got my game from the good Dr. Looking forward to it!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Video of gameplay in German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl2NWrwj3MQ

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Looks like a normal Tropico game for me. Which means that I'll buy it and spend ungodly amounts of hours making the best city the Caribbean has ever seen :(
I hope they've made new music. Seeing the old portrait of Penultimo and the soundtrack from Tropico 4 in the background has made me kind of worried that they have ignored that during this game's production.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stalins Moustache posted:

Looks like a normal Tropico game for me. Which means that I'll buy it and spend ungodly amounts of hours making the best city the Caribbean has ever seen :(
I hope they've made new music. Seeing the old portrait of Penultimo and the soundtrack from Tropico 4 in the background has made me kind of worried that they have ignored that during this game's production.

It also kind of looks like the buildings in the colonial era are a bit... modern looking?

I dunno, it's hard to tell with tropico's art style.

Would like to see more videos though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, I'm gonna be holding off on buying this one till we get a better picture of what its like.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I spent my senior year spring break of college just playing Tropico 4 nonstop. I racked up like 80-90 hours in a week, the game was great (I was stuck in town with nobody around don't judge). Best 4 dollars I ever spent. Still, from what I've seen I'm holding off on 5 too. I've been burned by too many preorders and poo poo lately, and this has zero signs of confidence that it'll be a worthwhile new iteration.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Stalins Moustache posted:

If you ignore the building models and UI it looks 100% like Tropico 4 with a dynasty model hacked on top of it. That's a bit disappointing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

If you ignore the building models and UI it looks 100% like Tropico 4 with a dynasty model hacked on top of it. That's a bit disappointing.

The new combat looks interesting, actually, but again, needs more information to judge whether it's any good.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Multiplayer might be neat

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I noticed the video had a dynasty related event, wherein you could pay $5000 for a new dynasty member. They didn't pull up any interface for it but I suspect it's very abstracted and there's no actual family tree or ways to get your members married or anything like that. It will probably be a list of characters, their traits and whatever minister positions you can give them.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Probably. The german video showed a few buildings, some of which are new. Some of which were also pretty drat modern, too, so I doubt there is any "hidden" buildings in the screenshot... So there probably isn't to much new stuff.

Looks kind of like it'll be the Tropico 3->4 expansion for 4, with the added "bonus" that to get all those upgrades for your buildings you not only need educated citizens and power, but also time/research. Yay.

But there is multiplayer.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Yup, but that is exactly what I was expecting so I'm not disappointed. :v:

alarumklok posted:

I spent my senior year spring break of college just playing Tropico 4 nonstop. I racked up like 80-90 hours in a week, the game was great (I was stuck in town with nobody around don't judge).
Steam says I've spent 256 hours on it myself so I won't judge.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I take back a lot of my optimism about the game now that I've looked at what they've shown. It looks like the exact same engine, even the same game as Tropico 4 just with different building graphics. This looks once again to be nothing more than a mod or expansion on the existing game just like T3 to T4. Also the game is a month away and there's been like no proper gameplay footage. From what I have seen though it looks like it runs exactly like T3/4 just with new building options and rule changes every "era".

I have a nasty feeling the "tropico problem" will still be around, namely that the game is challenging and fun for the few few moments but then you build your standard setup and it's free money and no danger. That they give you a million cool tools to brutally hang on to power yet as long as people have some food and some housing and some work they love you and you never have to use a single edict. Game was too loving easy outside of scripted conflict events within missions.

So now we have eras where everything changes. Cool, after playing the game a couple times I now know the perfect and best way to make money and everyone happy in the colonial era, oh no it's the World Wars era, some of my exports are worth less, some are worth more. I knew this was coming though so I've already started to make the transition. Oh no more eras and more "drastic" changes, but I've played the game a couple times already so this is all just following a script. Hooray I've gotten to modern times and everyone loves me and not once was my regime not showered with the love of every faction, even mutually exclusive ones, let alone ever actually threatened.

I'm looking forward to an update on T4, I've bought the game and will most likely enjoy it, but it's looking more and more like a re-hash of T4 with this eras thing bolted on and absolutely no signs of significant gameplay changes because it's still the same game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
As long as there's a sweet long soundtrack full of salsa and merengue this will be great. It could be pixel-for-pixel identical to 3 and 4 for all I care.

• Locked thread