Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I am enjoying this show quite a bit. It's pretty great! That "torture" was hilarious

Phobophilia posted:

There is a pretty dark bit though, someone is going around chopping the heads off girls and planting Chaika's cloned heads on their severed stumps, and siccing them across the countryside. Though I do have to say, pre-war Chaika had a really big wardrobe with lots of frilly elaborate clothes and ornaments our mysterious benefactor to hand them out like candy.[/spoiler]

Woah woah woah, did I absentmindedly miss this at some point? Could someone tell me when this specifically was explained?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Not hard to work out, all Chaikas have the same head, a scar around the neck, and different bodies.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

Woah woah woah, did I absentmindedly miss this at some point? Could someone tell me when this specifically was explained?
It wasn't. I think a safe assumption is that the emperor had a plan. If and when he died, his "daughters" would be let loose with an innate and incredibly powerful drive to collect his various body parts. My guess is that once the body parts are all put in the same room, they will magically re-connect and reconstitute the emperor. There just needs to be enough body parts for this to happen. One hand and two eyes, does not an emperor make.

I don't know why someone would just clone heads though. You'd think cloning heads would be as easy as cloning whole bodies. Based off the scars on the girls, the idea they there are multiple heads being placed on different freshly-made headless bodies, makes sense. One girls is a decent swordswoman, the other is a somewhat capable magician. They probably chose girls with skills, cut off their heads, and sewed on the Chiaka clone heads on them. Now these new Chiakas have these skills.

Their best bet, I think, is to join forces. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm still thinking we're looking at cosmetic surgery, like with that girl in Durarara, rather than just switching heads like Lego people.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Apparently there are 9 books out so far, and with light novel adaptations using ~3 books on average, this show should have enough material for a full 26 episode run. I wouldn't mind if that's the case, given how entertaining it's been.

It'll still have to raise its game before I'm convinced to take another look at Outbreak Company, though. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Don't bother, Outbreak Company was way worse.

Phobophilia posted:

Now that Frederica'd joined the party, I assumed this would be dumb harem shenanigans. I guess it could be interpreted that way, but this show is still incredibly amusing in its own twisted way.
Frederica only seems interested in MURDER TIME FUN TIME so there doesn't seem to be much danger of that.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Frederica and red Chaika own. Overall pretty funny episode. And mysterious, too.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I don't get why the emperor's remains are seen as such a threat. The emperor himself may have been almost invincible, but even when he was in full control of his actions with all of his power he was defeated by eight heroes. While I can see why they even have a special division for retrieving the remains from the heroes for safekeeping/disposal, I don't see why they're so worried about some kind of magical apocalypse or whatever it is they fear. I have to assume the remains aren't any more powerful than the emperor while he was alive.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Desuwa posted:

I don't get why the emperor's remains are seen as such a threat. The emperor himself may have been almost invincible, but even when he was in full control of his actions with all of his power he was defeated by eight heroes. While I can see why they even have a special division for retrieving the remains from the heroes for safekeeping/disposal, I don't see why they're so worried about some kind of magical apocalypse or whatever it is they fear. I have to assume the remains aren't any more powerful than the emperor while he was alive.

I think the concept is that having a variety of evil types using the impressive powers of the remains would be a huge problem for the ruling party.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Picture, if you will, Stalin grafting a nuclear missile to his punching arm. It's bad! It's super bad. You don't want an enemy with an A-bomb left hook, so you kick his rear end, disassemble the bomb and hide the pieces.

Even if the individual radioactive pieces aren't nearly as dangerous as the assembled bomb, you still don't want anyone running off with them. Especially not when you're in the fragile peace after a war.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The wanted poster is pretty amazing:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Great Rumbler posted:

The wanted poster is pretty amazing:

Oh man Toru's face, I mean they are all awful but Toru's surpasses bad and becomes art. :laugh:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Chaika the Stink Eye Princess.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think its sort of funny because both females are giving out weird stink eyes and Toru is just looking down sort of submissively. I wonder if it has to do with peoples accounts of Akari bossing him around and Chaika paying for his food.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think its sort of funny because both females are giving out weird stink eyes and Toru is just looking down sort of submissively. I wonder if it has to do with peoples accounts of Akari bossing him around and Chaika paying for his food.

You might be onto something there, and I'd love to think that is the reasoning behind him looking like the 'okay guy'.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hilarious WANTED posters are always great, Zevezda had them too:

I'm kind of surprised to find that I like this show a lot, it's got a really nice blend of plot, action, and all out silliness that I'm really enjoying.

"now, don't be shocked but we're being followed"
":aaa:"

Also, with her hair and those eyebrows Chaika looks a lot like Aisling from The Secret of Kells

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Was The Secret of Kells any good?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I loved it, but, looking back on it, I only remember how beautiful it was. Nothing about the plot or characters has stuck with me. Take what you will from that.

The_Guy
Mar 1, 2004

Eventually they always run out of other people's tiles.

Liver Disaster posted:

Was The Secret of Kells any good?

Questions to which the answer is emphatically yes.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I mean it has ~*eyebrows*~ so it can't be too terrible right? :haw:
Thanks though, I'll give it a watch. Hopefully it's still on Netflix instant.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

The_Guy posted:

Questions to which the answer is emphatically yes.

This post contains much truth. Really, it's a wonderful movie, feels almost like Mushishi by way of Gendy Tartakovsky.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

It strikes me given the recent episode that maybe each of the Chaika's is a resurrected part of her whole self. Red wants vengeance, white wants closure, so I assume the other parts of her all want something different for collecting the remains. I presume when her head was lopped off her soul got dispersed around the realm they live in. Where the weapons and skill to use them comes from is an interesting question as well though; maybe all of it was planned to make her the next ruler should her father fail.

Really liking the intrigue of this show; it's revealing enough each episode to keep questions being raised, the combat looks good, and the characters are entertaining and believable in the context of the story.

Yup, I thought of this (the spoilered part), but you express it way more eloquently than I could have. Watched the two latest episodes back-to-back and my reaction to the Dragon turning into a loli was close to (translation) audible "Oh gently caress this poo poo." So sick of this obsession with lolis in the genre.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Pretty sure she's had more time onscreen as a cat though...

Mordja fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 11, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I am shocked. SHOCKED that they kept such elaborate designs for her clothing and hair accessories and whatnot.

That was close.

I hope they didn't leave her behind; setting aside her design, a bloodthirsty cat/girl/dragon thing is pretty cool.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 11, 2014

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Oh, they totally left her behind.

I'm pretty sure she's going to burst out indignantly in the middle of a big confrontation and demand to know why they left her behind, totally spoiling the moment. The actual boss of said moment will take one look at the giant, angry dragon thing and run the hell away.

It will be a total anti-climax, and it will be glorious.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

:byodood:

Meanwhile, Frederika is being irrelevant to the plot by running away. So much for a mighty dragon :colbert:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dessel posted:

Watched the two latest episodes back-to-back and my reaction to the Dragon turning into a loli was close to (translation) audible "Oh gently caress this poo poo." So sick of this obsession with lolis in the genre.

Yeah, my reaction was same, but I completely changed my mind after her scene in the latest episode.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Ehh, before I was tolerating this because I'm a sucker for fantasy shows. :v:

Seeing the plot go all Bhaalspawn finally has me interested

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 12, 2014

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light
News is dropping that Chaika is getting a second season in October. :getin:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Wonderful news. 12 episodes is just not enough for the kind of story that is told.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, that's great news. Are the LNs over and done with, by the way? I just wanna know whether we're likely to get an anime-original ending.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Darth Walrus posted:

Are the LNs over and done with, by the way?

noooooooooooooooooooooooooope

But I have enjoyed an anime original ending before and will cling to hope despite the odds. :smith:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lots of off model faces going on this episode and also lots of panning. Butget episode but still had some good choreography. Really impressed with whoever is working on the flow of the combat, its heads and shoulders above so many series in making cohesive combat thats easy to follow.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On an unrelated note, what does the Iron Blood Transformation actually do? I don't think we ever see Toru or Akari pull off anything superhuman whilst under its influence (super-strength, super-speed, tanking wounds that should kill them, or whatever). They just sometimes seem to glow red whilst kicking rear end and that's it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think they just become a little stronger, faster, sharper, etc. and they lose all emotion so they can focus only on fighting. My assumption, anyway.

The fight choreography is the one thing that's really selling the show so far, and this episode had plenty of it.

The_Guy
Mar 1, 2004

Eventually they always run out of other people's tiles.

Darth Walrus posted:

On an unrelated note, what does the Iron Blood Transformation actually do? I don't think we ever see Toru or Akari pull off anything superhuman whilst under its influence (super-strength, super-speed, tanking wounds that should kill them, or whatever). They just sometimes seem to glow red whilst kicking rear end and that's it.

It psyches out the other guy. That's it.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think we ever see Toru or Akari pull off anything superhuman whilst under its influence (super-strength, super-speed, tanking wounds that should kill them, or whatever). They just sometimes seem to glow red whilst kicking rear end and that's it.

They used it to get Chaika and her coffin into the first hero's castle.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Well it does something as in this episode he was getting pushed back when red chaika and david were on the offensive together but when he activated the iron blood he had no problems fending both off and quickly gained the upper hand so its probably not something thats immediately noticeable but still incredibly useful.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

This isn't really a show that I would normally follow if it hadn't been specifically recommended to me for its fight choreography. But my oh my is that ever good. I just really like every fight scene in this show. The plot isn't really anything special, but it's enough to hold my interest as to what will happen next. It's hardly the anime of the season, but I guess it's what surprised me most with its quality thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Adelheid posted:

This isn't really a show that I would normally follow if it hadn't been specifically recommended to me for its fight choreography. But my oh my is that ever good. I just really like every fight scene in this show. The plot isn't really anything special, but it's enough to hold my interest as to what will happen next. It's hardly the anime of the season, but I guess it's what surprised me most with its quality thus far.

Same here. It's not exactly the smartest, but it is certainly more competent than most recent action anime.

Oh good, they're not going to play the "whiny indecisive mc" card. It's not a high standard, but darn does it try to be decent.

• Locked thread