Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Adelheid posted:

This isn't really a show that I would normally follow if it hadn't been specifically recommended to me for its fight choreography. But my oh my is that ever good. I just really like every fight scene in this show. The plot isn't really anything special, but it's enough to hold my interest as to what will happen next. It's hardly the anime of the season, but I guess it's what surprised me most with its quality thus far.

In a way it reminds me of some of the gun fights in Trigun where Vash uses tricks or gimmicks to get things to go his way . It's probably easier to just have a protagonist overpower his foes with big swings but seeing him use the wires on his blades to grapple or give himself range or set off traps is interesting and keeps the fights from being stale.

Also saboteurs seem to be generally reviled or at least not looked upon well, and his fighting style gives me a definite rogue/assassin type of vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

In a way it reminds me of some of the gun fights in Trigun where Vash uses tricks or gimmicks to get things to go his way . It's probably easier to just have a protagonist overpower his foes with big swings but seeing him use the wires on his blades to grapple or give himself range or set off traps is interesting and keeps the fights from being stale.

Also saboteurs seem to be generally reviled or at least not looked upon well, and his fighting style gives me a definite rogue/assassin type of vibe.

It's a strange thing to say there's not a lot of well done ninja fighting dudes in anime, but there it is. I think I've loved just about every notable fight in this show so far.

While the humor and plot bits can be on the clunky side, the story is interesting enough and I have to admit I really like all the characters at this point. Akari hit her stride when she started going full deadpan crazy and even Dragon Girl has been winning me over the last two episodes.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
The fights might not look that great, but they're definitely dynamic enough to seem pretty awesome anyways. Smoke bombs, chain-swords, magic artillery, exploding kunai, throwing dirt in people's faces, and attack-cockatrices, this is not your typical "my friendship beats your plot-device" shounen action show.

Carnival47
Jul 21, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

On an unrelated note, what does the Iron Blood Transformation actually do? I don't think we ever see Toru or Akari pull off anything superhuman whilst under its influence (super-strength, super-speed, tanking wounds that should kill them, or whatever). They just sometimes seem to glow red whilst kicking rear end and that's it.

I think the spell just buffs his reaction speed to a ridiculous degree. In the episode where he fought that wizard hero, he had to dodge roll to avoid the flying knives but with his buff, he could literally matrix dodge them. Overall I like how the anime avoids subjecting the viewer to a 10 minute lecture on how powers works and relies on visuals instead.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

God the fights are visually so pleasing to watch.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mo_Steel posted:

Saboteurs are raised and trained to live solely for killing. Their high skill but more importantly their code of loyalty is probably the only reason why they were ever accepted at all. It's a pretty amazingly bleak outlook on life for a protagonist in a shounen manga, really.

For a typical shounen hero, or to be more relevant for this show, a knightly perspective, fighting for the sake of fighting is horrible since it's just conflict for the sake of conflict, when fighting should be done for justice/honour/country/friends.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Eej posted:

Saboteurs are raised and trained to live solely for killing. Their high skill but more importantly their code of loyalty is probably the only reason why they were ever accepted at all. It's a pretty amazingly bleak outlook on life for a protagonist in a shounen manga, really.

For a typical shounen hero, or to be more relevant for this show, a knightly perspective, fighting for the sake of fighting is horrible since it's just conflict for the sake of conflict, when fighting should be done for justice/honour/country/friends.

One thing that the Legend of Dragoon taught me was this; you should only fight to protect something. Most Shounen anime/manga leave that 'something' as friends or the home village, but some (this show is a great example) use something a little more complex for the MC's reason to fight. He isn't doing so to protect something tangible, he's fighting to protect his way of life given the limited scope of his skillset. I personally think it's a great change from the usual "I fight for my friends :v:" trope.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
This episode was basically "Giffable Scenes: The anime".

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Whole episode was loving hilarious.

Goddammit Fred, just because you're Chaotic Neutral doesn't mean you have to be an uncooperative rear end in a top hat. :argh:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Frederica owns and its turning out to be a much better character than I would have ever expected. Which pretty much describes the entire anime right now quite honestly.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 21, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

paragon1 posted:

Whole episode was loving hilarious.

What he said.

paragon1 posted:

Goddammit Fred, just because you're Chaotic Neutral doesn't mean you have to be an uncooperative rear end in a top hat. :argh:

Please Fred, keep being an uncooperative rear end in a top hat. You are an entire comedy routine unto yourself. :allears:

Blhue posted:

This episode was basically "Giffable Scenes: The anime".

4chan is all about the webms these days, unfortunately, so that's all I got.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light
I lost it at the bit with Toru bawling his eyes out, Chaika standing there with no idea how to even begin processing what's going on, and Frederica taking the opportunity to beat the poo poo out of Toru.

This is a really, really fun show. Speaking of gifs:

DRIVING. :3:

Oh and someone made a brief clip from one of the fights this episode. The amount of effort they're putting into the fights continues to be impressive.

Roflfox fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 21, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Frederica is the best part of the show by far. "SNAP OUT OF IT!" :sotw:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 22, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Roflfox posted:

DRIVING. :3:

I didn't realize until seeing this gif that the thing around her chest wasn't just a design on her dress but some weird-rear end cage. No doubt there is some hackneyed symbolism that will come about from that. Also Guy is totally emperor Gaz's ghost.

Akari remains the best character, though. And I have to wonder which of the two main parties is the dnd campaign player party. It could really go either way, and I like that the adversaries are getting nearly the same portrayal as Chaika's group. One party gets a shapeshifting robo dragon, the other gets a baller stealth fortress car.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
I think this show wins the award of "Out of a hundred shows I've watched, the least likely to be good based on setting and general plot elements yet is still somehow awesome".

As people keep saying, it's like a screwed up D&D campaign in all of the right ways.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

The whole story with the hero was kinda meh, it was almost just an excuse for the comedy.
And I don't mind because the comedy was great.

Likewise, I usually would be annoyed at seeing yet another romance between 2 oblivious and-or shy characters, but they make it pretty amusing.
DRIVING *Throw fruit at Toru's face*

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sir Gladu posted:

Likewise, I usually would be annoyed at seeing yet another romance between 2 oblivious and-or shy characters, but they make it pretty amusing.
DRIVING *Throw fruit at Toru's face*

That part was done so well, you could tell Chaika was mad as hell and it was adorable.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ToiletDuckie posted:

I think this show wins the award of "Out of a hundred shows I've watched, the least likely to be good based on setting and general plot elements yet is still somehow awesome".

Either this or Zvezda, yeah. I was expecting this show to go maybe 4 episodes before it fell apart, but it'd be an understatement to say I've been pleasantly surprised.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

ToiletDuckie posted:

As people keep saying, it's like a screwed up D&D campaign in all of the right ways.

I dunno, I think Hataraku Maou-sama was a more terrible premise. And possibly even a better show, though I think it's a close-run thing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't know why two of the best shows this season air on the same day of the week and have gleefully murderous sidekick characters but I am liking this trend.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Which other show are you talking about?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
No Game No Life, which has Jibril the angel who randomly reminisces of the days where she'd band together with her sisters to decapitate dragons and gods alike.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ah yes. It's not as overt as with Frederica though. Also Flugel and Imanity are kinda endearingly dumb race names.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

I don't know why two of the best shows this season air on the same day of the week and have gleefully murderous sidekick characters but I am liking this trend.

Wednesdays are now on par with Fridays, albeit for different reasons.

I'm really surprised at how great a character Fredrica is. She is pretty much a cat in every way but looking like one (most of the time) in that she does whatever the gently caress she wants, whenever the gently caress she wants which sometimes includes helping out Toru and co. and sometimes demanding that he fight her (or take the opportunity to beat the poo poo out of him).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

She just looked so gleeful when she noticed that it was apparently Toru-punchin' o'clock.
:smaug:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I loved the hell out of the :effort: rescue by Frederica, and her 'yeah, snap out of it you punching bag!' This show is surprisingly fun.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Squidster posted:

I loved the hell out of the :effort: rescue by Frederica, and her 'yeah, snap out of it you punching bag!' This show is surprisingly fun.

The best part about that scene was that no one on either side did anything but watch. The confused look on everyone was great. This really is 2 D&D Campaigns running side by side.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

They're really going for the Overlord angle, where the supposed heroes get messed up after their exploits. Frederika's master fell ill and here's this guy with PTSD, stuck in a valley making others feel as betrayed as he.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

a kitten posted:

She just looked so gleeful when she noticed that it was apparently Toru-punchin' o'clock.

This was amazing and it's really making Frederica's character worth having around.
They got a whole leg this time, things are looking up.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

a kitten posted:

That was easily my favorite part of the whole episode, a great simple joke but flawlessly executed.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Since we all love it so much...

Akari was probably wondering why she didn't think of hitting him that hard.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Command Ant posted:

Since we all love it so much...

http://i.imgur.com/NicUC8C.gif

Akari was probably wondering why she didn't think of hitting him that hard.

For her just slapping him those are some visible rough marks. Fredrica going to town on Toru was the best though. I wonder if she still hits as hard as her dragoon form in her human form. Chaika getting super pissed at the end of the episode and Toru having no idea why was great as well.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

That was a hilarious episode. Frederica for best character of the year!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Revolver Bunker posted:

For her just slapping him those are some visible rough marks. Fredrica going to town on Toru was the best though. I wonder if she still hits as hard as her dragoon form in her human form. Chaika getting super pissed at the end of the episode and Toru having no idea why was great as well.

I must admit to being ever-so-slightly weirded out by the way the show appears to be setting up a twenty-year-old and a fourteen-year-old as its main couple, though. Yes, that's only two years off Romeo and Juliet, but Shakespeare isn't anime and anime is very rarely Shakespeare.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I must admit to being ever-so-slightly weirded out by the way the show appears to be setting up a twenty-year-old and a fourteen-year-old as its main couple, though. Yes, that's only two years off Romeo and Juliet, but Shakespeare isn't anime and anime is very rarely Shakespeare.

So teen girls having crushes on +20 guys is unnatural? Marriage at 14 was also a thing during Shakespeare's time and not Shakespeare being weird.
Not everything is set in 21st century first world countries. Even Toru and Akari were child soldiers.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
I rather liked the scene where Frederica saves the team from Gillete's group. Her Dragoon form just has this face that says "I never get to have any fun murdering people." as she's picking them up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

So teen girls having crushes on +20 guys is unnatural? Marriage at 14 was also a thing during Shakespeare's time and not Shakespeare being weird.
Not everything is set in 21st century first world countries. Even Toru and Akari were child soldiers.

Her having a crush isn't a big deal - the bigger one is that they seem to be treating it rather like a legit pairing. Again, the problem is that it's not Shakespaeare, it's anime, a medium with a massive load of weird cultural baggage about the fetishisation of youth. Like I said, this is minor, and the show has been relatively tasteful so far, but coupled with all the nerdbait tropes that Chaika's design ticks off (white-haired little girl in stylised maid outfit with gigantic magical sniper rifle), it does trigger some rather uncomfortable associations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Her having a crush isn't a big deal - the bigger one is that they seem to be treating it rather like a legit pairing.

The only one who thinks that way is Akari

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Tamba posted:

The only one who thinks that way is Akari

Chaika may also see it as a possibility. At the least she seems to like the idea that it is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Anyone else wonder about mass neither being created or destroyed as Frederica converts from girl to dragoon and back again?

Again, I am guessing it all goes into Z-Space. That's just a guess though. The magic system is so not explained here. We got red-eyed ninja children and multiple-possible-clone princesses to worry about too.

However, I do have to agree with everyone else on the best part of this episode was the Frederica helping Toru come to his senses. You know some writers laughed themselves silly conceiving of this scene, and we are enjoying it too.

I don't think there's any reciprocal romance going on here. Also, is is specifically stated somewhere that Chaika is just 14-years old? That seems awfully young to be galavanting around the countryside alone with just a coffin and a high-powered magical anti-tank rifle.

I do like the technology of this world too, though. The automobiles are pretty cool, rifles, swords. Nice mixture.

• Locked thread