Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I'm about halfway through it myself. So far its been very good & funny. Let's share our thoughts and discuss the book here.

Wikipedia posted:

A Confederacy of Dunces is a picaresque novel by American novelist John Kennedy Toole which appeared in 1980, eleven years after Toole's suicide. Published through the efforts of writer Walker Percy (who also contributed a foreword) and Toole's mother, the book became first a cult classic, then a mainstream success; it earned Toole a posthumous Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1981, and is now considered a canonical work of modern literature of the Southern United States.[1]

The book's title refers to an epigraph from Jonathan Swift's essay, Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting: "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Its central character, Ignatius J. Reilly, is an educated but slothful 30-year-old man living with his mother in the Uptown neighborhood of early-1960s New Orleans who, in his quest for employment, has various adventures with colorful French Quarter characters. Toole wrote the novel in 1963 during his last few months in Puerto Rico.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I already read GBS.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Reading is for fags.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this book was weird but it was also good

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Christmas Miracle posted:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Someone post the confeferacy of doobies from the old thread

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i would also like to see that if that's possible

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
~the original goon~

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
i read the wikipedia summary and it was very well written. really identified with the protagonist/

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

oxsnard posted:

~the original goon~

----------------

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

oxsnard posted:

~the original goon~

If Ignatius was alive today he would be a Ron Paul libertarian and mining bitcoins

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
he's even got a doobdog and everything.

Christmas Miracle posted:

Yeah it's really good.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
i like this book thanks 4 thread op :frogc00l:

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
The statue of Ignatius on Canal street isn't worth the trip to New Orleans, but if you're there already and walking by, its worth like, turning your head for.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

oxsnard posted:

~the original goon~

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

oxsnard posted:

~the original goon~

This man speaks truth. The only thing that didn't jive was that he wore a hunting cap instead of a fedora.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'd rather not read your family's biography but thanks anyway

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The only thing I know about this book is the main character jacks off to his dog.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
some low hanging fruit itt. I actually haven't read that book. thanks for the rec

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I started reading it but quit because the protagonist disgusts me

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Count Freebasie posted:

This man speaks truth. The only thing that didn't jive was that he wore a hunting cap instead of a fedora.

the protag in the catcher in the rye wore a hunting cap so it is still v. goony

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i've been meaning to reread this for years now...it's one of my favs. Ignatius was just a caricature of Toole himself right? I think if they made it into a movie decades ago with Belushi it would have owned, but other than that it would probably be poo poo.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 20, 2014

Martin Luther Kink
Oct 17, 2004
Barroom Hero
this dude sounds like a tool

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
any status on the doobie thing? unfortunatley theres like a billlion gassed doobie threads so no way im reading through those to find it

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Sekenr posted:

I started reading it but quit because the protagonist disgusts me

hes supposed to + be funny

----------------

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

any status on the doobie thing? unfortunatley theres like a billlion gassed doobie threads so no way im reading through those to find it

I think he's supposed to be open this or next week. if the inspectors pass his poo poo shack.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Although he pursued a doctorate at Columbia, he became unhappy with his Ph.D. However, he wrote to Fletcher that he still liked Hunter, "principally because the aggressive, pseudo-intellectual, 'liberal' girl students are continuously amusing."[54] Fletcher surmised that from these girls the character of Myrna Minkoff from Dunces was born.[55] Toole, although generally only a "Christmas-and-Easter churchgoer",[52] had some apprehension about the anti-Catholic intellectualism of some of his students, and about them seeming ever watchful for a cause they could throw their liberal zeal behind.[52] "Every time the elevator door opens at Hunter, you are confronted by 20 pairs of burning eyes, 20 sets of bangs and everyone waiting for someone to push a Negro" he is reported to have said.[52] When he first arrived back in New York Toole dated Emilie Dietrich Griffin, another Louisiana transplant, with whom he had worked on the Hullabaloo staff, and later he dated another Louisianan Clayelle Dalferes whom he had learned of through Fletcher. The couple loved the cinema and movie-going was a constant staple of their dates.[56] Both women said their relationships with Toole never progressed beyond the level of a good night kiss.[52][57]

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's a really good book

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Robert E Howard, the creator of Conan the Barbarian, lived with his mother until the age of 30 when she slipped into a coma, at which point he walked out to his car and shot himself in the head

He reportedly had a single girlfriend in his entire life, who left him for one of his best friends because he devoted too much of his time and emotional energy to his mother

Someone should make a Goons of Literature thread in the book barn!!!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Here:

Members Browsing...

010110011st ADa drink or twoA Fancy BlokeA Humble EmperorA shrubbery!Absolute LithopsaburlypadadmataYAfroAfro DougAgentJRAgrajagAKA PseudonymAkmolishAl BorlandalanthecatAlbieQuirkyallfinereallfitAlphaKeny1AltoidAlyionamarantineskyamishbuttermasterAn Alright GuyananciAndrew VerseAngryBearanimal mathAnimeAvataranteAntivehicularApexAftermathApproaching RogueaquaperArchWizardArctic BadgerArfJasonArmachamAromatic StretchArrrhalomynnArzakonastr0manaswert1223AugustusLoveAvellonBaba Yaga FanboyBackwebBad SneakersBad Titty Pukerbad_fmr Balalaika ballboy Bamford Brownstone Barn Folk Baron Snow basmati bbqweasel Beet bef Begby bennyfranks Bertram betalarmannen Big McHuge BigSexyWitGlasses Biplane Bizzy_g BogJenBog Bolow Bombajio BonfireOfTheAnimes boom boom boom Borneo Jimmy bottlesproot Boywhiz88 Bretzman Brigadier Sockface Brodie brokenreticent Bubakles Buddington bunky burf Burger Crime Butt Detective Butt Frosted Cake Butt Town cantfly cap601 Capilarean Captain Candiru Captain Rufus CaptainQuirk Carbon Copy CARRIERHASARRIVED cartoons123 catfry Cenen Chainsaw McGee Chaos Personified Chekans 3 16 Chinatown CHIVERS Chocobo ChocolateMoose ChosenbytheZetans Chrispurple Chuggles Cinematic CitizenSnips! Claeaus Clamps McGraw Clayton Bigsby Clearbrook Cloks clownskull CmdrSmirnoff combat engineer Concerned Citizen concerned mom corn in the bible Cpt. Bennett Cpt.Sean Luc Picard Crackerjack crankdatbatman Cream_Filling Crowetron Crump Rocknubs Cruxxed Up Cryptozoology Cthulu Carl cuckold cleanup Cuckoo Cuhullin D34THROW Daijoobu Dalek Dog Dammerung Dancing Gnome DangerousDan DaveWoo david... dead babies deadEd DeadLetterOfficer Deadly Intersection Deathface DeepQantas def person DefaultPeanut Defstoner Deki DeliciousCanadian DemeaninDemon DerekSmartymans Dewey Hibiki Dicky B Diggy Mo dijon Disconnecticus Dissapointed Owl DJ-Quack DjHomeless Dmitri-9 Doffen donkey salami DoombatINC Dr. Doggoneit! Dr. Faustus Dreqqus drfrank DrunkenGarbageCan Dugrotto Duh Ugh dumps like a truck Dunxco Dylanthulhu E.Nigma EB Nulshit ebakaneza Edgar Effervescent egon_beeblebrox elektrotechnik Emong EmperorFritoBandito EndOfTheWorld Epoxy Bulletin error1 Esper este ethanol Eunabomber EventHorizon ewe2 Exinos Fainjoe Fairly passive FartRomancer.EXE

A confederacy of dunces :xd:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Big Beef City posted:

I already read GBS.

gently caress

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

book owns, i really dig intentionally unlikeable protagonists and ignatius fits that mark perfectly. dude is really good at discarding even the tiniest things that might make him even slightly sympathetic. that + it's funny as heck. it's good poo poo and people should read it imo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DrManiac posted:

I think he's supposed to be open this or next week. if the inspectors pass his poo poo shack.

i mean on finding the ignatius c reilly themed bit

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hoisted by my own retard.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

Cream_Filling posted:

any status on the doobie thing?

In the book, Ignatius J. Reilly was given a hotdog cart because his mom insisted he have a job. He sold 2, ate the rest, and refused to pay for them. His boss was very indignant.

Hope this helps!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Myrna Minkoff is probably in the top 5 of foxiest fictional jewesses of all time.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Wayside Bazaar posted:

Myrna Minkoff is probably in the top 5 of foxiest fictional jewesses of all time.
gtfo furry

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXdpv3pCGU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ogive posted:

In the book, Ignatius J. Reilly was given a hotdog cart because his mom insisted he have a job. He sold 2, ate the rest, and refused to pay for them. His boss was very indignant.

Hope this helps!

let's not forget that on his first day on the job, he ate them all and told his boss he was mugged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This book is seriously great but southpark ran the core concept into the ground so hard that it damages my appreciation for the original.

• Locked thread