Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

If Hickman can handle Franklin then I think he can handle Strange.
I think the question is more about every other writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

MagnesiumB posted:

Would really like this. Generally, I feel like I could really enjoy a shuffling around of some of the bigger guys at Marvel to titles they haven't tangled with before. Question, has Fraction ever written any Spider-Man? I feel like he could really nail down the humor and the balance between the mask and Parker's personal life.

To be fair, they basically just did this in late 2012 with Marvel NOW!:

Bendis: Avengers, New Avengers -> All-New X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Uncanny X-Men
Fraction: Thor, Iron Man -> Fantastic Four, FF
Gillen: Uncanny X-Men, Journey Into Mystery -> Young Avengers, Iron Man
Aaron: Incredible Hulk -> Thor: God of Thunder
Remender: Uncanny X-Force, Secret Avengers -> Captain America, Uncanny Avengers
Hickman: Fantastic Four, FF -> Avengers, New Avengers

Etc.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Slott will write Spider-man until he dies, though

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Fraction wrote a really good Spidey story in an annual around the time of Civil War.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Fraction wrote a really good Spidey story in an annual around the time of Civil War.
Hickman wrote a REALLY good Peter Parker tripping all the balls in FF.

i misread the question as about hickman writing spidey and have decided to leave my post as a mark of shame

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 30, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

redbackground posted:

That was Hickman.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Fraction is doing less books, not more. He's not going turn things around to do multiple issues of one book a month.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

Fraction is doing less books, not more. He's not going turn things around to do multiple issues of one book a month.

Oh, yeah, I mean we've got Slott at least until 2015 it looks like either way. I was just wondering because he's a writer I could see doing really well on the title, even if there's no chance of that ever coming to pass.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Senor Candle posted:

If Hickman can handle Franklin then I think he can handle Strange.
I hope after this event they just retire Dr Strange and use him sparingly like they do Silver Surfer or other cosmic Omega level heroes, because it's just completely ridiculous to see someone that powerful struggling against the Masters of Evil or whatever threat the Avengers are facing that week.

redbackground posted:

i misread the question as about hickman writing spidey and have decided to leave my post as a mark of shame
Hickman also wrote an amazing Superior Spider-Man during Avengers. Just having him be a random dick to heroes and teaching children how to apply headlocks.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 30, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

In pretty sure Hickman is planning on killing Strange or at the very least putting him out of reach for a good while. He's going down a very dark path and there's just no way he gets out of this incursion business without losing more than he has. Which is a loving lot considering he sold his loving soul

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

Hickman also wrote an amazing Superior Spider-Man during Avengers. Just having him be a random dick to heroes and teaching children how to apply headlocks.

And stealing people's lunch.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In pretty sure Hickman is planning on killing Strange or at the very least putting him out of reach for a good while. He's going down a very dark path and there's just no way he gets out of this incursion business without losing more than he has. Which is a loving lot considering he sold his loving soul
Maybe Hickman really is planning on writing a Dr Strange book? After his run on the Avengers is all over, the Collectors (or whatever they were called) will find use in him and use him to collect artifacts and collect debts from other people. Hickman does really well with cosmic adventure type stuff, so giving him the chance to just do anything he could imagine with a Hero who has powers as limitless as Franklin as an ongoing could be so amazing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Nah, Hickman's always been pretty clear in interviews that he's not entirely comfortable playing in other people's toyboxes. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to work-for-hire from time to time for a bigger paycheck, the way Ellis or Garth Ennis will, but I'd imagine his output will be chiefly creator-owned once he's done with Avengers.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I felt like NA this week was a bit predictable, but that's ok because we are gonna get to a fun fighty time comic soon and Avengers was fairly brilliantly done. Though I find the timelines of the two Bruces to be a bit confusing. I might have to reread those issues.

Avenger's World had absolutely nothing happen, big shock there.

I don't want Hickman to ever stop.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Nevvy Z posted:

I felt like NA this week was a bit predictable, but that's ok because we are gonna get to a fun fighty time comic soon and Avengers was fairly brilliantly done. Though I find the timelines of the two Bruces to be a bit confusing. I might have to reread those issues.

I mean, I assume Avengers is teeing to up a "twist" where evil Bruce is took the place of regular Bruce and lobotomy Bruce is 616 Bruce?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

squidgee posted:

I mean, I assume Avengers is teeing to up a "twist" where evil Bruce is took the place of regular Bruce and lobotomy Bruce is 616 Bruce?

Not a chance. Evil Bruce wouldn't know more than half of what was talked about today.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

gently caress everyone. I liked Silver Surfer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

Just came here to post this. Maybe it's Doctor Who comix but it's Doctor Who comix I can get behind.

VVV: A lot of people seem really determined to dislike it because it's written by Slott.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 1, 2014

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Little Mac posted:

People disliked Siver Surfer?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Just came here to post this. Maybe it's Doctor Who comix but it's Doctor Who comix I can get behind.

VVV: A lot of people seem really determined to dislike it because it's written by Slott.
I liked Arkham Asylum: Living Hell. Slott is completely capable of writing good stories, he just doesn't. I haven't read Silver Surfer, but I'm sure it's fine, people seemed to like his She-Hulk too. Just keep the man away from anything that's supposed to be serious

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Which is a perfectly good reason. And it's not even his talent, it's him being a retched human being.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He isn't very talented either, hth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

He isn't very talented either, hth.

He has good ideas, horrible execution.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I used some of the $5 that ComiXology gave out to buy the first issue of Elektra. Really nice art and the story being set up is interesting. Having said that, I don't know or recognize any of the characters beyond Elektra, whose wiki page I skimmed. :v:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The dude in the SHIELD facility was Bullseye, the expert marksman, and killer of Elektra. He's paralyzed and blind. The new villain was there to eat his hand, and gain his super human aim. There's really nothing else you need to know. Glad you enjoyed it!

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Codependent Poster posted:

It was centered on the Peter-MJ relationship, and I like to think of it as his "gently caress you" to One More Day (which, IIRC, began only a few months later).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I used some of the $5 that ComiXology gave out to buy the first issue of Elektra. Really nice art and the story being set up is interesting. Having said that, I don't know or recognize any of the characters beyond Elektra, whose wiki page I skimmed. :v:

It's okay. With the exception of Elektra and Bullseye they are all effectively new characters so you don't need to know them :)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

squidgee posted:

I don't think so unless the tranquiliser thing was a fake-out.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

MagnesiumB posted:

Would really like this. Generally, I feel like I could really enjoy a shuffling around of some of the bigger guys at Marvel to titles they haven't tangled with before. Question, has Fraction ever written any Spider-Man? I feel like he could really nail down the humor and the balance between the mask and Parker's personal life.

Fraction wrote a Sensational Spider-Man Annual just before OMD happened. It was pretty good.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

irlZaphod posted:

I don't think so unless the tranquiliser thing was a fake-out.

I mean, guy's a sociopath, it would hardly be beyond him. Mostly I'm just going off the screams of "I'M NOT WHO YOU THINK I-" before he's lobotomized.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 1, 2014

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

squidgee posted:

I mean, guy's a sociopath, it would hardly be beyond him. Mostly I'm just going off the screams of "I'M NOT WHO YOU THINK I-" before he's lobotomized.

He's screaming that because they think he's 616 Bruce.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Thurm posted:

He's screaming that because they think he's 616 Bruce.

I get that's ostensibly what's going on, but re-reading #27 it's not made clear who is who in the scene where the Hulk pops up. Bruce just clubs other Bruce, we get green eyes, and then we cut to that.

There's just an unreliable narrator vibe to the whole thing; none of Bruce's switcheroo is shown to us, it's all told told to us by "Bruce."

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 1, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

squidgee posted:

I get that's ostensibly what's going on, but re-reading #27 it's not made clear who is who in the scene where the Hulk pops up. Bruce just clubs other Bruce, we get green eyes, and then we cut to that.

I get a very unreliable narrator vibe from the whole thing; none of Bruce's switcheroo is shown to us, it's all told told to us by "Bruce."

Well I really doubt the other Bruce got launched into space and therefore wouldn't really have a reaction to getting called the Worldbreaker. Not to mention he wouldn't know anything about the Illuminati since it would be ridiculous for that world to have one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

squidgee posted:

I get a very unreliable narrator vibe from the whole thing; none of Bruce's switcheroo is shown to us, it's all told told to us by "Bruce."

The entirety of #27 is based around Banner using previous information (from events in 616) to unveil The Illuminati / New Avengers. Unless there's ANOTHER scene (not shown) showing fake Bruce swapping with 616's there's just no way that's happening.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The entirety of #27 is based around Banner using previous information (from events in 616) to unveil The Illuminati / New Avengers. Unless there's ANOTHER scene (not shown) showing fake Bruce swapping with 616's there's just no way that's happening.

Do you mean this month's or last month's? This month's is #28, last month's is #27, which doesn't mention anything about the Illuminati really.

quote:

Well I really doubt the other Bruce got launched into space and therefore wouldn't really have a reaction to getting called the Worldbreaker. Not to mention he wouldn't know anything about the Illuminati since it would be ridiculous for that world to have one.

Fair point.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

squidgee posted:

Fair point.
You also lose any emotional impact from the "interview" and the group scene at the end if it's not actually our Bruce.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Habit makes us want to assume that Hickman was pulling a switch on us, when really it was SHIELD/Avengers getting duped. Using the alternate Banner, the real Banner can now operate exclusively with Tony and company in New Avengers.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

But it REALLY doesn't mesh well with Waid's Hulk. Unless the reveal is they're actually using fake-Hulk there, or Banner's time in the Illuminati is really, really short, they probably could've delayed Waid's Hulk a few months so it makes some amount of sense.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

But it REALLY doesn't mesh well with Waid's Hulk. Unless the reveal is they're actually using fake-Hulk there, or Banner's time in the Illuminati is really, really short, they probably could've delayed Waid's Hulk a few months so it makes some amount of sense.
Someone fill me in on what exactly is going on in Waid's Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

It doesn't have to mesh with Waid's Hulk. In what universe do you think that telling Mark Waid, "We are going to delay your book by a few months so people don't get confused" has a good outcome.

redbackground posted:

Someone fill me in on what exactly is going on in Waid's Hulk.

He got shot in the brain or something and got brain damage. He's basically a drooling moron at the end of the first issue.

• Locked thread