Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ironed Idol posted:

Yeah, and crimea is still part of the ukraine.

I hope Putin recreates the Soviet Union and Depeche Mode starts releasing good albums again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW

Dusseldorf posted:

We won the first gulf war. Came in, kicked rear end, got the gently caress out. That's winning.

Yeah, then we went back after we learned about saddam hussein putting up a reward for killing him [bush sr], then we stayed there for 6 years, and it's worse than ever. MERICA

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

The gun was sort of unpractical penis compensation thing.

Still was a really good ground support aircraft due to the durability, good loiter time and also good weapons payload.

the gun was because it was designed for world war 3 and they assumed that there would be so many soviet tanks that it would be impractical to carry enough missiles at a time

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ironed Idol posted:

Yeah, then we went back after we learned about saddam hussein putting up a reward for killing him [bush sr], then we stayed there for 6 years, and it's worse than ever. MERICA

in hindsight the American people should have copied the first idea

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dusseldorf posted:

We won the first gulf war. Came in, kicked rear end, got the gently caress out. That's winning.

Then we sanctioned Iraq and killed like half a milling loving children just because they tried to gently caress with us. Winning, winning then salting the fields. Pretty metal.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

the gun was because it was designed for world war 3 and they assumed that there would be so many soviet tanks that it would be impractical to carry enough missiles at a time

yeah but even 30mm DU ammunition requires top/rear firing angles to ensure penetration on virtually any MBT

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW

Dusseldorf posted:

Then we sanctioned Iraq and killed like half a milling loving children just because they tried to gently caress with us. Winning, winning then salting the fields. Pretty metal.

Also, while letting the gassing of kurds and a generally easy genocide.

The WMDS ARE COMING FROM OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY,

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Droid posted:

yeah but even 30mm DU ammunition requires top/rear firing angles to ensure penetration on virtually any MBT

but its on a plane

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Droid posted:

http://imgur.com/a/SD8Ew

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Ironed Idol posted:

The a-10 is basically a flying gun with a 16 mile range, why they decided to retire it, who knows.

because it was designed around ripping up tanks by the dozen in the fulda gap, which it doesnt actually do very much of at all, and especially because fixed-wing close air support is incredibly vulnerable to antiaircraft missiles, even the older-gen russian stuff that second-n third-rate nations can get a hold of nowadays. helicopters can do almost everything the A-10 can when air superiority has been established, and cruise missiles when it hasn't

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW
The a-10 is a murder plane, and we discontinued it, for some lovely cheap plastic thing.

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Does this all count for T-72s which are basically way shittier/explodier than T-62s?

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 22, 2014

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

haha

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXW5xI1qnBc

he picked the girl.

Also, this is what all people want to believe what really happens.

I am the battleship.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ironed Idol posted:

The a-10 is a murder plane, and we discontinued it, for some lovely cheap plastic thing.

lol

it's basically the military plane version of a twink

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

Does this all count for T-72s which are basically way shittier/explodier than T-62s?

T-72's and probably T-80's since they're just as poo poo and consume more gasoline :laugh:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
basically if you are in a position to use an A-10 nowadays you have already neutralized all non-AK-74-based antiair defenses, and at that point theres very little reason to use the giant cannon plane over something much more capable of actually hanging around to root out the guys you want to do murders on, like a helicopter

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dusseldorf posted:

All the older russian older tanks tended to be exploder due to smaller internal compartment and also a lack of crew protection features vs western tanks

It's always easier to find more slavs

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ambrose Burnside posted:

basically if you are in a position to use an A-10 nowadays you have already neutralized all non-AK-74-based antiair defenses, and at that point theres very little reason to use the giant cannon plane over something much more capable of actually hanging around to root out the guys you want to do murders on, like a helicopter

it can be argued that there is no need for such a plane anymore but that's not why they're discontinuing it

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

cock hero flux posted:

it can be argued that there is no need for such a plane anymore but that's not why they're discontinuing it

well, yeah, that is the thing. who in the MIC doesnt hate an economic, resilient and well-designed product

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

well, yeah, that is the thing. who in the MIC doesnt hate an economic, resilient and well-designed product

well designed products don't have enough congressional districts

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

so why does the f35 handle like a fat man in bf4

All 3 imaginary planes handle OK compared to how everything else flies in that game.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

wait why did they make tanks with bigger numbers that explode easier, like why was the soviet union doing the same thing as the F-35 but with tanks?

also I think people probably don't like the A-10 because it doesn't have modern lookign swept wings so maybe they should just rivet the wings from old f-16s onto them and call it a new plane

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW
I don't care what you say, The a-10 has my heart always.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
So if you have a 100:1 K/D ratio, why not just make 100 UAVs with 1-2 missiles each?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Things like the F-35 exist since the US is not a real wartime economy.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

wait why did they make tanks with bigger numbers that explode easier, like why was the soviet union doing the same thing as the F-35 but with tanks?

soviet tank design for the most part was "something that can be built by the thousands on the cheap and simple enough for a conscripted farmer to use."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Droid posted:

soviet tank design for the most part was "something that can be built by the thousands on the cheap and simple enough for a conscripted farmer to use."

also based on the concept of there always being more slavs

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

etalian posted:

At least from my experience people in other branches such as the navy/air force seemed to adjust better to civilian life since they didn't get the marine brain washing treatment.

This is all anecdotal, and I would love for someone to add to or discredit any of this.

Both of my ex-military co-workers (US Army Tank commander and an Ex Navy Seal) said that, for the most part the Marines attract more of the kids who are straight out of "Bumfuck Tennessee" and just want to shoot stuff. The Navy Seal said every time he had to do something joint with Marines (mostly joint training exercises) it was like working with very juvenile jocks who just make a mess of everything and generally don't know when enough is enough. The US army guy said the Marines he drove with in Baghdad convoys were constantly making a scene and causing traffic jams and getting the whole convoy bogged down. Long story short, the marines (in their opinions) were kids too dumb to get into the other services, or just wanted to shoot some people.

The only Marine Corps experience I personally had was watching about 6 of them sexually harass 14 year old Korean schoolgirls in Seoul.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
has anyone pointed out that the f-35 is an ugly plane? it's squat, fat and stubby and ugly. i don't think it's an exaggeration to call it one of the ugliest fighter planes ever made.

look at this:

:frog:

compared to these beauties:

:getin:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Slam whale.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

etalian posted:

also based on the concept of there always being more slavs

Better yet, more Kazakhs and Uzbeks.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I'm under the impression that basically every other Russian tank is the export model, which are cheaper and more mobile but much less survivable. At the very least T72's have a 'crown of thorns' of tank shells making a ring at the base of the turret which allows for the spectacular turret launching explosions when they are penetrated.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

F-14's are the sexiest planes of all time but don't pretend they weren't piece of poo poo hanger queens.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Dusseldorf posted:

I'm under the impression that basically every other Russian tank is the export model, which are cheaper and more mobile but much less survivable. At the very least T72's have a 'crown of thorns' of tank shells making a ring at the base of the turret which allows for the spectacular turret launching explosions when they are penetrated.

Not quite what you're describing, but this is pretty neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8E4qPhloKY

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Old, but is that a paper mache aircraft carrier?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dusseldorf posted:

F-14's are the sexiest planes of all time but don't pretend they weren't piece of poo poo hanger queens.
Yes but I left out my favorite plane of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwXmz1KGoQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Whiskey Sours posted:

Not quite what you're describing, but this is pretty neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8E4qPhloKY

the man escaping from the tank in the charred and tattered remains of his clothes gets me every time

• Locked thread