Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
You all leave the Printer's Guild and make you way to the markets except for Lyme and Ciarán who go their separate ways. Despite your outlandish appearance the Royal Guard crest seems to still carry some weight and your errand is without notable events. You may acquire what ever you have coin for. Before long you are all at the Sign of Bylin. Once the last of you arrive you hasten to your appointment. Ablinth's office is located in an inner gate house in the granaries and the sheer scale of the granaries and associated mills is hard to take in. Especially for those from Jurunda. Such is true however of the scale of many things in the sprawling city of Norward.

Ablinth himself is a middle aged human of average height with a greying beard and a balding head. He wears the clothes of a miller, simple cloth pants and shirt with a leather apron. Across his chest is the symbol of his office. He is the Guild Master of the Millers. He ill disguises his contempt of the 'lesser' races.

So you are all that the fool Morisac could muster?

Tuts

From context Morisac must be someone in the Printer's Guild. Who exactly, none of you know.

After contemplating your group he appears to resign himself to the situation.

Best if I show you then.

He leads you back down from his office and towards the towering bulk of the grain silos

There was a time when a good stone silo was proof against vermin but our stores have been both stolen and soiled. The damage has been done by tunneling.

At this point you are by a set of closed stone lids. Ablinth directs some workers to have the lids raised and they cover a stone staircase going down. The stairway is lit. He leads you down the stairs and into a huge vaulted cellar that extends in equal scale to the silos above. It is well lit, well finished and has been recently built.

I had this done at colossal expense as a way of detecting tunneling and allowing vermin to be intercepted before they did any harm. Despite all the expense and extra guards the thefts and damage continue. If anything it's getting worse. Bad enough in fact that I have to call on the likes of you to help out.

He looks around despondently.

Feel free to ask him what you will and respond to any of the things that we just narrated our way past. More description can be added as you wish. First person who rolls their eyes and says 'Not the locked box puzzle again' earns [redacted].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Martha

Martha has never been a quick thinker. She has always found it easier to process things if she is shown them.

"I guess we should start at the start. Master Ablinth, could you please show us why you believe that rats are to blame for your loss and spoils"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ablinth has clearly parted with a significant amount of coin recently to various dwarves because he actually losses his cool.

No I can't drat well show you! We run a very clean and tidy operation! All the latest damage has been patched up and you don't need to ask to know that that cost a small fortune. See that wall over there?

He indicates a wall in the distance to the West.

That's were the last batch came through. Don't matter though, they come in through the floor and every other place you can imagine.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She is paying close attention since this is not a mundane rat-catching task, but is slightly concerned at the possibility, nay, likelihood of giant, super-intelligent rats. Most of all, this fucker's racism is disturbing to her demeanour.

Master Ablinth, has anyone witnessed the incursions first-hand? Have any of the beasts been trapped or killed by the guards, or have they avoided confrontation?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

She nods in agreement with Amaranth

Martha uses her natural dwarvern ability to examine the stone work. The quality of it and the "hardness' of the stone used. She finds it strange that rats could tunnel through quality dwarvern stonework

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ablinth, perhaps thinking Lyme is a small human calms down a bit.

Caught? Killed? This entire floor has been a crawling squirming sea of the disgusting filth!

Warming to the task his eye catches Martha.

I had to pay 10 gold to her lot to be shot of the remains.

Soto voice.

Although I think I was just the wholesaler!

Laughs at own 'joke'.

More will be back tonight too. I guarantee it!

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

If you had talked to the right dwarf, you would have saved yourself ten gold pieces.

Martha chuckles to herself

So let me get this straight, they came through this wall here, filled the floor, crawled up to ceiling and then tunneled through the ceiling into the silos? I find it difficult to believe that rats could tunnel whilst being suspended from the ceiling.

Also, wouldn't the rest of the grain flow out through these tunnels once the silos had been breached?

Martha strokes her beard in self satisfaction. This undue smugness is part of her "charm"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Aello

Could you show my tunneling expert to the exact spot the wall was last breached?

Aello is beginning to suspect that the man has been embezzling in some fashion, and has concocted this rat story.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ablinth manages to look even more aghast at Martha's 'joke' but heads off towards where he indicated. There is an obvious patch of still drying stucco/plaster/render.

Fortunately the sheer weight of the grain helps to stem the flow out of the silos when they are breached but it makes one hell of a mess anyway. As to how rats tunnel through solid masonry..

Looks suspiciously at the 'tunneling expert'.

I leave that to the experts. It just has to stop!

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán

Am I able to identify whether any animals have been through here recently?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The whole area has been cleared, repaired and scrubbed clean since the last incident. Even so there are still some tell tale claw marks (rat size) on the stone flags that make up the floor. How recently? That you can not tell.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Well the average rat could tunnel through this plaster here

Martha scrapes some of the plaster off with her fingernail

Another seemingly obvious question is have you tried baiting then with large amounts of poisoned grain?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ablinth actually goes bright red and was just about to scream something when he takes a deep breath and whispers forcefully;

Never, ever, ever, mention poison in this district ever again. I've a good mind to throw you out.

You note, now you have some of Ablinth's expensive and hygienic repair on your finger, that the plaster is by way of a finish over solid masonry blocks.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Aello speaks quickly to distract Ablinth from his anger

You say that the rats tunnel through the masonry work here? What's on the other side? Raw dirt? Do you know if there are any tunnels, caves or sewers nearby?

She raps on the new stone absentmindedly, listening to see if it's hollow.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The new stonework is behind some still wet render. You soon realise that rapping it isn't going to reveal much.

Ablinth is pretty pissed off right now but does seem to calm down a bit.

Tunnels! Labyrinths! I thought solid stonework would keep them out but it doesn't seem to be working. Sewers!? You think I would store grain near a sewer? This was honest farmland when these grain stores were first built. Any tunnels are either the work of rats or none of my doing, or knowledge.

Shakes his head and mutters to himself

Poison, sewers, what next? The cure seems worse than the drat problem.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Chokeing down her rising urge to throttle this arrogant bean counter, Aello continues her line of questioning

Sir, I appreciate that this is a difficult time, but you co-operation with us will make this go much easier. When you say there are tunnels, do you mean that whenever the rats tunnel through there is an existing network behind them?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She is rather pleased at not being the target of this fool's prejudices. Ah, little victories.

On one hand, no wererats spotted, but the whole tunnelling horde thing is definitely unusual.

She rolls her eyes a little at Aello. Noble, brave, and strong, but not bright.

Master Ablinth, as the rats are regularly tunnelling through earth and masonry as a swarm with the intent of absconding with grain, heedless of self-preservation yet holding to a timetable, it seems likely there is a diabolical will behind this. I cannot say what without further information, but the cause could range from there being a very large, intelligent rat directing raids for food, to a very... underhanded magician using them to manipulate property values or the grain market. Such cases are rare, but not unknown.

Pause for mysterious effect.

Have you or your business recently fell afoul of a magician, or more likely, someone rich, influential and underhanded enough to hire one? On previous invasions, were there any rodents of unusual size, colouration or intelligence, or were any possessed of extreme disfiguration or other unusual features? Any information would be most helpful. Thank you.

To the party, quietly.

I fear that our path sets us to crawling into the tunnel behind the rats as they leave, discovering an ancient subterranean city, and fighting a vast horde of misshapen rat-men led by a mutant sewer-dwelling orphan who wishes revenge upon the city.

Mistress Aello, if we encounter any deep pools of water, would you kindly convey me across? I do not wish to drown.

She has now used all her spoons.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán

If they are tunnels made by the rats, the easiest way to find them would be through this wall.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Shadeoses posted:

I fear that our path sets us to crawling into the tunnel behind the rats as they leave, discovering an ancient subterranean city, and fighting a vast horde of misshapen rat-men led by a mutant sewer-dwelling orphan who wishes revenge upon the city.

So far as I can tell there has been aught but ordinary rats in here.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I had to ask what next? Mad wizards, evil cults, deranged real estate agents, mutant super rats...

When the granary was built there were no tunnels, none.

In sing song voice as to an addled child

Rattee commee him makee tunnel. Mister fill 'em up them tunnel. Rattee him makee more more.

Eventually Ciarán speaks.

Oh thank Bylin at last someone who can see what is before them!

They will be back tonight as sure as the sun rises. If you were able to stop them breaking through into a silo that would be marvelous. I'm sure their entry will pin point precisely one of these 'mysterious' tunnels you are so keen on finding and will spare me the expense of fixing an additional hole. If you can find out what, who or how they are doing it and make it stop then I will reward you handsomely. As you can see I am at my wits end and I suppose the truly fanciful must hold the truth of it. I had hoped it was, you know, just rats. If there is anything I can provide to aid you the asking is the first step towards the having.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
ooc: in the past

At the markets, Bolo has a look around for any good lanterns, and buys some paper, ink and quills.

ooc: in the present

Bolo takes notes as the others question Ablinth.

OOC: edit: ninjad by Cartoon!

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
ooc: Cartoon do I need to declare the day's spells before casting them, or can I just cast on the fly while being limited to four casts per day?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
You need to declare your load out.

Captain Pissweak posted:

Entangle, Pass Without Trace, Purify Water and Speak with Animals will be the first day's load.

Is your current declaration.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Oh hey I've got that, am I able to change that now? In light of where I am three of those are kind of useless. :v:

If so, can I swap them out to Animal Friendship, Faerie Fire, Locate Animals and Speak with Animals.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Captain Pissweak posted:

Oh hey I've got that, am I able to change that now? In light of where I am three of those are kind of useless. :v:

If so, can I swap them out to Animal Friendship, Faerie Fire, Locate Animals and Speak with Animals.
OK but just this once. Wish granted.

Splode posted:

ooc: in the past

At the markets, Bolo has a look around for any good lanterns, and buys some paper, ink and quills.
The paper, ink (2gp) and quills are not a problem but you may only have a simple hooded lantern (7gp) and two flasks of oil (1gp each) unless you pool funds with others.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 29, 2014

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She looks around for something to stand on, such as a crate or furniture, that the rats are unlikely to climb up when they pour into the room.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Sweet.

Cartoon posted:

If there is anything I can provide to aid you the asking is the first step towards the having.

Actually, could I have some small amount of bread, wheat, flour, whatever it is the rats are breaking in to eat?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Now that the disturbing conversation about poison and rats is over there is a sea change in Ablinth's disposition.

A large sack of grain perhaps? But as you mentioned food allow me to provide you all with a meal in the guild hall before night fall and the commencement of your vigil.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Cartoon posted:

OK but just this once. Wish granted.
The paper, ink (2gp) and quills are not a problem but you may only have a simple hooded lantern (7gp) and two flasks of oil (1gp each) unless you pool funds with others.

OOC: *sigh* I was hoping we weren't going to have to do this.

Bolo is irritated by the high price. But it is of little concern to one of his profession. Bolo eyes up the store and inspects the patterns of the shop keeper. He also looks up and down the street for any guards, any street urchins, and anything piled inexpertly. He also attempts to identify a nicer, higher quality lantern.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

OOC: in the present.

At the prospect of food, Bolo grins.

Splendid!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Earlier... :rolldice:

Taking advantage of a lapse in store security and his 'low profile' Bolo swaps his hooded lantern with the Splendiferous Magnificent Bogusiforian MK IV Bat Blinder. It is a hooded lantern that is also capable of being a bulls eye lantern and can run smokeless with a fully sealed combustion chamber. You expect it to radiate magic it is just that good. Perhaps a little showy but it is definitely the bestest one on sale. The signs say so!

Back at the grain-face

The meal is highly satisfactory and you eat largely in silence before returning to the cellar under the silo. Upon reflection you realise that as far as protection from rats go the guild couldn't really have done much more. The next step would be metal plating. The cellar is ~ 200 ft by 300 ft with a support column every 10 ft. It is very well lit using covered oil lamps, four to a column (that's nearly 2000 quite nice lamps if you were/are considering it). The stairs leading down are in the NW corner on the West wall. If you wish you can obtain a small crate or similar from about the granary. There is a large sack of grain at the bottom of the stairs.

Ablinth leads you once again to the stone slab 'manhole covers' and ushers you inside

I wish you good fortune

You settle in for your vigil.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán

Ciarán collects a handful of grain and stashes it with his other spell materials, then finds a place to sit and wait.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Checks and re-checks her weapons, mentally adapting her sword drills to fighting small quadrupeds.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She gathers a small crate and sits on it near the others. She carefully considers the various unlikely causes of this rat plague.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Around 1 am (8th of Nerf) Bolo hears a sound in the distance. As he is relating this to the party there is a highly audible clunk as of a block of masonary hitting the floor somewhere in the complex. As you investigate where from, a carpet/sea of squirming wriggling rodents of all sizes (normal to rats) spreads towards and around you.

That's Combat!

[OOC: Consider yourselves to be roughly in 10' marching order facing South you may suggest an action that you may attempt to accomplish as they close but then you are fighting them as they swarm onto and over you. You may announce an intention for more than a single combat round: (eg) I start swinging my sword with no intention of stopping until there is not a single whisker left twitching. You may of course rescind any ongoing action authority at any time. Action is in rounds. Apart from this round you may only take one action (or allowable combination per round. Move and fight. Talk, move and fight).

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Will I be able to fire my heavy crossbow at the rats, put it down and draw my sword before they reach us?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
As indicated in my previous post you can try to. For you I'd suggest:

I fire my heavy crossbow at the rats, put it down and draw my sword. I then commence to kill rats as fast as I am able using my sword.

You could talk or move as well if you wanted to. That will only reduce the amount of attacks you can muster.

With the above post, as I have tried to make clear, combat would proceed with you smacking rats until either they or you are dead or incapacitated, or you tell me you do something else. That way you don't ~have~ to post in each round of combat. That will speed up what could otherwise be numbingly slow.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán

Could one of you distract the horde with the sack of grain?

Ciarán collects the grain he grabbed before from his pouch in preparation.

How large is the hole the rats have made?

e: if I can even see it yet.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Fires her heavy crossbow at the rats, puts it down, then draws her sword and commences hacking at rats as fast as she can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Martha throws the oil lamp she has been standing next to into the hole where the rats have come out of. If she can't see the hole - she throws it in the general direction of where the rats are coming from.

She too will fire her heavy crossbow, drop it and head out with Aello swinging her battle axe singing a dwarvern lullaby about rat pies.

• Locked thread