Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ablinth

Does the whole 'about to explode' routine you saw before gasping out quite quietly.

Poison! If even a hint of poison grain gets out we are all ruined! Why!? Why did you do it!?

The cleric nods his head solemnly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Aello

Blinks, momentarily nonplussed, then decides to let arrogance carry her through. She lowers her voice and leans in closer to Ablinth

Don't try and avoid the question, master Ablinth. Why grain that came directly from your stores would be poisoned is a matter we will investigate in due time. Now answer me - what did you know about these tunnels? Who are you working with?

Whirling away before he has a chance to compose himself she turns to the cleric.

OOC: Any religion specific terms that I use can be corrected, I'm just guessing.

Father, it's good to see you. What can you tell me about these events?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Martha

Scrunches up her face

What choo talkin bout Willis? Ablinth?

Laugh track

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I can confirm that this grain was not poisoned when I made use of it. Which was the point we left.

Seagull fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 7, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The cleric doesn't look like much of a fighter but has a hansome neck beard.

Toverix

I, Toverix of Teheda, was summonned to cleanse this foulness.

Indicates the sack and the rats

If what you say is true, then someone has set you up to take the blame for this appalling deed.

Turns and looks at Ablinth

What of those tunnels?

Ablinth

Is still trying to retrieve his jaw from the cellar flags but looks relieved "The Whirlwind" isn't in his face, for the moment.

I know nothing of these tunnels, except that they are there and rats come through them and steal grain. Where they lead is a mystery. One I sent these, those, them! to find out about!

Apparently Aello isn't the only one who can climb up on a high horse.

As to their fanciful accusations and denials what more evidence do you need? Quietly Poisoned Rats. Poisoned Grain. Poisoners!

Indicates Martha

That one even came right out and suggested I use it! Bold as brass. I knew I couldn't trust them!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She rolls her eyes mightily and whispers at Aello,
Stop antagonising him, do you want to get paid or not?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Do I seem the like the kind of person to go about poisoning animals?

Ciarán indicates to Brown Tail and her friend.

Don't worry about them by the way, they are of no danger to your business and will remain a secret when leaving.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Bristling

I would be pretty stupid to leave poisoned grain lying around after you told me not to. Are you calling my stupid?

I swear by Teheda herself that I had nothing to do with this, may She strike me down if I am lying. If you call me a liar or stupid again I will strike you down!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

whispers back at Amaranth

This is negotiation, trust me. If we let him walk all over us he'll treat us like dirt

To Toverix

By my honour as a warrior, my companions and I had nothing to do with poisoning any grain. We have a number of interesting pieces of information relating to the source of the rat infestation, but given that master Ablinth clearly does not trust us I suppose we will have to discontinue attempting to track it down.

She directs another glare at the apoplectic merchant

I'm prepared to believe that you are merely ignorant of the security problem here for the moment.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Toverix

Good Guildmaster Ablinth would you be so kind as to step back upstairs for the moment? I will get to the truth and then perhaps your agents Indicates the party may make such a report as you have asked. I'm sure I don't have to impress upon you the seriousness of this matter and I will use all the resources of my faith to divine the truth. I will also take care of the purification as I indicated earlier.

You note as he gestures that he wears plate armour under his robe.

Ablinth

If you say so Father.

Ablinth glances sideways at Martha then Aello but both he and his guard withdraw. Toverix waits till he is certain of privacy and addresses Aello and Martha.

Toverix

I am inclined to believe you. But to make the matter certain would one of you agree to be the subject of a detect lie spell? If you were to also tell me all that has passed since you first entered the cellar perhaps I might understand what I am dealing with. Anyone will do as the spell subject.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 23, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

I will volunteer, Father. I have nothing to hide.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

In a tone far more respectful

I also have nothing to hide father - though I am happy for Aello to speak for the party

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

I have nothing to hide regarding the day's events, ask what you like.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The cleric casts Detect Lie and asks a series of questions relating to what you knew about the grain and poison. He quickly concludes that you, and in all likelihood the party had nothing to do with it. That means he was right to think someone set you up. More to the point they must have had access to the cellar during your absence because the sack had been moved away from where it had been left.

To the best of her recollection Aello also tells him everything that has happened, citing evidence as required.

Toverix

A single Wererat is a nightmare enough! That it seems it was acting in concert with others and there is poison involved is chilling indeed. Fortunately I am able to converse with this one.

Indicates the head and casts a Speak With Dead.

Why did you target the granary?

Rat Face - To rule the rats!

Toverix - Who bid you attack the granary with rats?

Rat Face - No one!

The spell stops

Alas that is all I can ask today. I had hoped that the last question would have cleared up the matter entirely. If you would allow me to be given custody of it I will make further inquiries. Unless anyone has anything they can add to assist me I suggest we get your employer back and you can make your peace with him. I will of course assure him of your innocence.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Thank you father, may Teheda strengthen your arm

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Whoever has the holy symbol should show it to him, see if he recognizes it.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The holy symbol or a reasonable facsimilie is shown to Toverix. He is aghast.

I have seen one just like it quite recently at the temple. One of the other clerics had discovered it! Beyond that I don't know to what deity it is connected.

May I examine it?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Yes, take it. I was going to try and find a trustworthy cleric to identify it, so this is convenient for all involved. There was also this letter, and the rat's blade has identifying initials engraved on it, which Aello may show you.

Buck successfully passed.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Toverix casts a couple of spells and examines all the proffered evidence.

So I would assume that Livino is this fine specimen and if he was working with someone else he struck out on his own. Although that is an assumption. If true it means Wilfin is involved somehow. Can't say I know the name and it is a big city. The holy symbol is most certainly of some evil cult. It emanates evil quite strongly. The sword is neither magical nor strongly aligned. The initials are traditionally those of the maker. Norward blades are well made and the smiths are justly proud.

He hands all the junk back to Aello including the head.

Perhaps it is time to sooth the Guildmaster's ruffled feathers? He's a nice enough man but this has shaken him badly.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Toverix goes off in search of Ablinth and returns with him and his guards. He has clearly done some diplomacy on your behalf.

Ablinth

Blusters

Misunderstandings on both sides, regrettable things said etc.

Indicates the head

So that was the chap? Mind if Toverix has it so he can ask some more questions? And to the matter of your reward. I must make one firm stipulation. Poison must not ever be mentioned in connection with this incident. I'll look into who might have tried to blacken your name with the grain but I find it hard to believe it was one of my employees. Is 10 gold sufficient to cover your time?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Now that he has calmed down, feels like that she should show him the problem with his fresh stonework.

Master Ablinth, I think you should also look at this. See how the stones here are sitting loosely next to each other. If this was done to proper dwarvern standards there blocks would be sitting snugly together like to a bride and a groom.

Hopefully with the wererat taken care of the rats won't bother you anymore, however we did find more than just rats in the tunnels. You may want to have this work done properly, I can recommend a few names. Also you should look into getting your money back for such sloppy work.

Let me know if you need help with that, we can't have dwarves doing shoddy work

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Well prepared for things to be smoothed over and satisfied by the reasonable attitude of Ablinth, Aello makes some conciliatory small talk.

I don't object to Toverix interrogating this specimen, no. We can assure you of our utmost discretion in regards to the poison - a food riot wouldn't help anyone. If you need any assistance with your inquiry we will be delighted to be of assistance.

Barter and negotiate over the payment, but it seems fair and any haggling will probably end up being a wash.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán moves Brown Tail and associate to some more hidden folds in his robe in preparation to leave the mill.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Nods wisely in the background, saying nothing.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ablinth offers you your payment in copper coin gives you your 10 gold with no qualms. Along the way it is discovered that you have destroyed one of the granary's lanterns and damaged a light fitting. Ablinth nearly has another ballistic moment over the stone work because it was done by a dwarf, but calms down quickly and even goes so far as to tell Martha that he appreciates her honesty and assistance. He is luke warm over your offer of service in investigating the poisoning, but you get the impression he just wants to put the whole thing behind him. Leaving the granary you quickly find a teamster who agrees to your task for 10 sp in copper. Nobody has yet disturbed the cottage and the cart is quickly loaded. This directly brings up the subject of where it is that the teamster is to take the load.

[For various task completion rewards you each receive 1372 exp (1510 exp with the 10% bonus). I held off hoping for Bolo's input but they can amend events if necessary. This means everyone but Lyme goes to second level and should seek out a trainer as soon as possible. Unless stipulated otherwise training will entail one week away from your other activities. The copy for the adventure so far should make at least two week's worth for the Printer's Guild.]

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Is there any reason for me to keep the rat that is not Brown Tail around? Also can I teach Brown Tail a trick during that training week?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
They each count minutely (Well 1/8th of a HD each) to the 2 HD (soon to be 4 HD) limit for total creatures you can befriend at any one time. Entirely up to you. You could have potentially had sixteen rat friends from the casting. The strict strictures of the rules would say no you can't use class training time to train pets but due to ~Druid~ I'll let you teach the rat, or rats, one trick.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I don't particularly care for No Tongue so we'll go find a nice secluded alleyway away from the mill where we can say our goodbyes and send him off into the wild world of a different sewer.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She keeps a stern exterior but the loss of her eyebrows in combat weighs heavily on her. This will greatly diminish her ability to glare for some weeks. Only the warm feathery company of Typhon and Tisiphone brings comfort.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I didn't have anything to add. Certainly not worth a phone post with our formatting rules.

How does levelling up work? Sounds convoluted already.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

:rolleyes: Comrades, we have seen this foul rodent threat through but mysteries remain unsolved and adventures un...delved :rolleyes:. Let us go to the tavern to toast our victory and plan our next action. :rolleyes:

Let's get some food and I can go sleep okay?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Without resolving any issues the party go their various ways. Each apparently presuming that someone else will take care of it all for them. The party name 'Dysfunction Queens' occurs to an idle granary guard who watches their departure.

I should have posted this earlier. Behold the evil rat holy symbol:

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 9, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The week passes uneventfully. Some of you meet up every night at The Sign of Bylin others do not. Bolo takes care of the business with the Printer's Guild and eventually (on the 14th of Nerf) you are all assembled and ready to...

Discuss what to do next.

quote:

On the subject of what to do next. The dairy and the sawmillers, would they yield any useful information on Livino (aka alleged rat face)? Are you going to follow up with Toverix? Someone tried to set you up. Who? Or maybe more importantly, why? What of Wilfin? The note seems to implicate him in some shady group, 'the circle', is that an oblique reference or its actual title? There seems to be a cult of wererats, are they 'the circle'? Who owns the cottage? Are there other things to be found beyond the storm cellar doors? I'm sure you can all think of more.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Surely in the past week Toverix managed to get some useful information from the rat. Why not find out some more from him.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Yes, let's see what Toverix can tell us. Stumbling around in the dark is all very well, but I'd prefer to know a little more before charging in this time.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Yes, I agree, the cleric would be the best choice to find new information. A priest of war is a powerful ally, if nothing else.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Toverix is quite close by. He can be consulted and will be able to reveal: As far as the granary business goes that was all Livino's doing after all what is the point in getting all of these amazing wererat powers if you don't use them? The poisoned grain business wasn't his doing and he has no idea who did it.

"The circle" Is indeed a chapter of Wererats. A secret chapter. They were less than thrilled to learn of Livino's tin pot rat god antics and had this Wilfin not tipped him off his next meeting was going to be his last. Wilfin owed Livino because it was he who sired him and introduced him to "The Circle". They meet in the cellar of a cottage similar to the one where Livino was found but located closer to the Noble's game park. Toverix can direct you to it but imagines it would be a hard task for you. He can make more directed inquiries if there are specific questions. He intends to raise a force to deal with the wererats promptly. Just out of curiosity you note his Holy symbol (Teheda).

Comedy option: CENSORED - Drat realised that would get me at least a probation.

Actual:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

ooc: Pants Donkey?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Bolo asks Toverix "May we speak alone?"

OOC: Cartoon see PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Toverix seems a bit confused by the request by allows it ushering Bolo into an adjoining prayer room.

• Locked thread