Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Bolo and Toverix emerge.

Bolo announces "I have a lead on the poisoners, but I'm not willing to shed light on it just yet. If one of us is secretly reporting to them we could be in trouble. Aello, how well do you know the politics of the nobles?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth

She looks mildly offended at the implication that she could be a traitor.

A coven of were-rats is definitely outside our capabilities. Is there any task for us that could benefit from our relative anonymity? Our next point of investigation was to be the dairy where the wererat worked, or the blacksmith who made its sword.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Splode posted:

Bolo and Toverix emerge.

Bolo announces "I have a lead on the poisoners, but I'm not willing to shed light on it just yet. If one of us is secretly reporting to them we could be in trouble. Aello, how well do you know the politics of the nobles?"

Aello

Her eyes narrow at the implication she could be selling her team out, but she answers.

Better than most, but not as well as many. I have friends and contacts, but I'm no courtier.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Toverix splutters, "'Relative anonymity?' You clearly haven't seen today's paper".

Sure enough titled 'All species fight rat menace' is the printed in the usual spot reserved for such tales. Nobody recalls hearing quite so many 'Thwack!!!s' and 'Pow!!!s'. The authenticity of the dialogue is also questionable but the story ending with the encounter of the Gargoyle is broadly correct.

'I'd love to help by suggesting something. Alas the only job I think might suit involves some cruel trappers operating on the plain near the city. But wouldn't that surely distract you from your investigations?'

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Cartoon posted:

'Alas the only job I think might suit involves some cruel trappers operating on the plain near the city. But wouldn't that surely distract you from your investigations?'

This is precisely the kind of thing we should be working on I think, tell us more about their actions.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Toverix

Furs are always worth good coin and so with the recent relaxation in governance unguilded trappers are seeking easy income. Because they are amateurs they more often than not spoil the pelts either by using bad traps or by being terrible shots. Rather than dispatch the poor creatures they simply move on. Normally the furriers would police it but they seem far to busy with city politics these days.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

That is truly terrible. Would the job be in service to the temple or the Furrier Guild, then?

She makes a note to regularly buy the news paper.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Toverix

Neither really. I guess it would be good form to talk to the Furriers about it first though. They might even reward positive results.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Martha

Still fuming at Bolo's little trick. She keeps this in check by reminding herself that she doesn't trust him or the magic-user so she shouldn't judge.

The weaponsmiths are nearby the furriers. Let's drop by there on our way and have a chat to one bearing the initials found on the wererat's sword

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Agreed, let's try and deal with as many of these threads as we can.

She can think of some of the nobles who would be cruel enough to hunt in that fashion, but none who would be prepared to be doing so for reasons as base as mere employment.

If the guilds are politicking against each other this investigation could get messy very quickly.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth/ Lyme

The maker of the sword is probably our next best source of information for now. If we put it off too long, we will likely find every potential informant lying in the gutter with their throat ripped out.

Dealing with incompetent hunters should be simple compared to this were-rat business.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Also if we are heading out on the plains later to catch these trappers, the dairy is also on that way.

I suggest we visit, the weaponsmith, the furriers, the dairy and then the great plain in that order. How does that sound?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
[OOC: I'm going to try and move the agenda along, if you have anything you would like to interject into the proceedings I will write it in for you as needed. I'm also happy to go at what ever pace best suits all.]

You make your farewells to Toverix and he wishes you well. Making your way to the Armourer's and Tinsmiths you see the occasional person take note of your group. Publication may be bringing unexpected consequences. The main gate of the Armourer's is a very impressive affair but it is mainly for show. As is the front room of the guild hall. It is full of impressive looking arms and armourments along with racks and shelves of more mundane metal wear. As you enter an employee makes her way over to you.

Welcome to the Armourer's! Are you seeking custom items?

Ciarán quickly and politely disabuses her of the expectation of trade and shows her the wererat longsword with the initials F.N.. The sales girl makes quick note of the mark and says.

One of Frangilsh's, not her very best work.

Ciarán reveals some of it's history, ledgers are checked but it was not specially ordered and as such could have been bought almost anywhere in Norward by a being with 15 gold. You leave after appropriate farewells.

Your trip to the Furriers and Trappers is also uneventful and they have an impressive guild building quite near the Noble's District walls. Again the element of commerce is strongly emphasised and all manner of exotic pelts are displayed for your trimming and decorative needs. The sales man lets you state your business and after making arrangements introduces you to someone more senior. He is an opulently dressed man in his middle age.

Come sit down! I am Stanli, Guildmaster. What may I do for you?

Ciarán relates the sorry tale of the cruel interloping trappers and Stanli appears moved.

Yes it is a sorry business. Normally the watch takes care of such matters but since all that unpleasantness it seems little is to be done. It is very bad for commerce as these criminals don't respect the trade routes when placing their traps and this is inviting disaster. That is before one takes into account the way they leave carrion as a lure for further beasts. If something isn't done soon there will be innocent blood shed. *erm* Excuse me I feel this keenly. We have had to adjust our methods, for buying these tainted pelts is unthinkable, and our early steps with farmed pelts have been very encouraging. So we, as a guild, shall abide well enough however there is as you can see a moral imperative. For every illegal trapper you can capture I will give you 5 gold. Deaths are to be avoided, and proof of their involvement is necessary, although that may be obtained by interrogation, after the fact.

Is this acceptable?

Ciarán continues to speak for the party in assuring him that every effort will be taken to ensure the effective treatment of non guild trappers. Stanli informs you of how to identify authorised guildsmen. They will have the symbol of the guild, a small purple robe trimmed with ermine. Stanli has his attached to his belt on a dagger sheath. More to the point they will not be leaving distressed animals and will stay out of shipping lanes. More farewells follow as you depart for the dairy.

Your encounter at the dairy is the briefest of all. It is soon established that Livino Trinisa was an employee who showed no real sign of his misdeeds and was well liked by his coworkers. They take his parting badly and Ciarán doesn't fully relate his fate out of sympathy. It is by now early afternoon and after taking lunch you set off to at least eyeball the plains by the city. The wall that separates the plain from the docks is an amazing vantage point and walking atop it you see many majestic creatures, some in herds and others stalking prey either singularly or in groups. The wall is a stone curtain that is connected to towers at about 100' intervals. The towers are decorated from the outside with the holy symbol of the god of magic, Mosus.

In earlier times the wall would have been patrolled by a large garrison force but other matters have distracted the guard for the moment. Looking back towards the city you can see there are a vast number of wheeled boats and other vessels either at the docks or moored in the other parts of the harbour. Eventually your eyes take in the great gates themselves. These also run on wheels and there is a carefully laid stone bed and metal track that guides them. At the moment the gates are closed and it takes a large number of draught horses to operate them. As the gates are closed you could wall atop them along a 5' wide railed pathway. The gates are of a strange grey metal and are each 50' wide. At the far ends of the wall the edge of the mountains serve as a barrier. It is from here that the cruel scoundrels must be doing their trade. A bit of scrambling soon reveals a number of bolt trails leading down towards the plain and back into the mountains.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
After spending a good deal of time studying the trails, Ciarán suggests the party follows them.

In terms of spells I want Animal Friendship, Speak with Animals, Faerie Fire and Entangle. Haven't had a chance to check out level two yet, I'll declare them later.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Alright then, lead on. You will have to take the lead as tracker, though.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
That was a joke about us standing around staring for a day but sure. :v:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

no jokes! this is advanced dungeons and dragons, not basic clowns and capers!

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha is happy to follow Ciarán.

(OCC: Yeah, sometimes I don't know when to say let's do the obvious

I also like the idea that the action in game is at the same time IRL)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

:v: So Aello, tell me about your family. Do they approve of your adventurous lifestyle? They are concerned for your welfare, at least?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

:hist101: Well, Mother would prefer I find a rich man with a decent title and settle down, but she accepts that's not really my style. Otherwise it's fairly traditional for "spare" children to go into military service of one sort or another. Adventuring like this is not unprecedented either. As for my welfare? I've been trained by the best, I'm wearing good Norward steel she pounds one fist on her cuirass and accompanied by stout companions. What could go wrong?

She laughs at her own joke to cover up her vague unease.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Although Ciarán has no explicit skills in tracking, the humaniod tracks are easy enough to find and follow. The first thing that draws your attention however is a wild dog (hyena) thrashing about on the plain not far from the cliff. It is clearly caught in some sort of a crude wire snare that is secured to a peg.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

:black101: I am glad to hear that your family is more forward thinking than most.

Trying her best to segue the conversation

While we are on the topic I was wondering if you ladies had any comments and suggestions for my flyer? I know with your help we can put together a much better argument

(OOC: You don't have to role play this part - just whether you attempt to help or not. At the moment, it's pretty shoddy with Patriarchy being the only $10 word. With Amaranth's and Aello's help it could be far better)

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Is there any meat lying around?

e: preferably not Brown Tail.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Seeing the puppy in distress, runs down to help. She empties one of her sacks and tries to cover the dog's head with it.

If that is successful - she will attempt to release it from the trap.

She will also listen to any instructions that Ciarán gives

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Well, while I appreciate your care for the animal, you are about to get bitten. If you have any meat on you I can calm it down and talk to and release it, possibly make friends, all that jazz.

Ciarán moves close to it but out of attack range to see how it reacts.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
[OOC: There is no 'meat' imediately to hand but the hard tack and rations that adventurers typically carry contains dried meats. There is potentially an endless supply of meat right where you are if you want to shoot some.]

The puppy does indeed have a go at biting Martha. :rolldice: But misses. Martha is able to get a bag over the creature. The snare has degloved the hyena's leg and it is still thrashing madly. Your early attempts at releasing it fail.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Leave the animal to Ciaran and Martha, move forward keeping an eye out for anyone who might be watching.

Do you want me to bring down some game to feed this creature? I can probably assure you of a humane kill with this bow.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

I will hold the hyena and its leg still if someone can release it from the snare

Martha will continue holding it down even after it has been released so that Ciarán can care for it/befriend it if needs be

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Gods above, step aside.

Ciarán casts Speak with Animals. On a success, he removes the bag, asks the hyena to calm down, releases it if so and treats the wound by washing it (for now).

On a failure, he really requests the meat.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

:stare: Stands away from the thrashing circus act.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
[OOC: Although first aid will certainly assist the creature, the wound although grievous would be totally rectified by healing magic. Also Speak with Animals has NO SAVE. The only roll I need to make is in regard to the like ethos and special service sub-clause.]

Ciarán's spell immediately calms the animal and allows the snare to be released. It is basically now engaged in a monologue about how much it hurts and how it would be nice to have less armoured dwarf on top of it.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Once the hyena stops thrashing, Martha gets off it and pats it

"Good doggy"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Actually, hyenas are more closely related to cats than dogs!

:goonsay:

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Shadeoses posted:

Amaranth / Lyme

Actually, hyenas are more closely related to cats than dogs!

:goonsay:

(OCC: Lol - yeah I know this IRL. It was a question in trivia and the team over ruled me based on the fact that they looked like dogs. We came 2nd because of it.

Martha has Int 8 and Wis though, so to her its a doggy :3:)

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Cartoon posted:

[OOC: Although first aid will certainly assist the creature, the wound although grievous would be totally rectified by healing magic. Also Speak with Animals has NO SAVE. The only roll I need to make is in regard to the like ethos and special service sub-clause.]

I remember one of the level two spells is Cure Light Wounds, give me that and I'll cast it.

Now then, I don't suppose you'd be able to tell us anything about the poachees who did this to you? We're here to stop them.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The spell immediately repairs all the damage. Spotted Ear really want's to help but 'Run, Caught, Ouch!' pretty much summarises his involvement in, and knowledge of, poachers. The idea of not getting caught does appeal immensely.

[OOC: Second level Druid spells are a mixed bag with many utility spells that are ideal in specific circumstances. The general 'top picks' at lower levels are CLW and Barkskin.]

Now kitty/puppy has been dealt with you have an empty snare but not much else.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Have you seen any other people around the plains besides us?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Also I'll rock Barkskin for now too. Is that self cast only?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Freudian Slip posted:

Martha

:black101: I am glad to hear that your family is more forward thinking than most.

Trying her best to segue the conversation

While we are on the topic I was wondering if you ladies had any comments and suggestions for my flyer? I know with your help we can put together a much better argument

(Delayed) Lyme is interested in helping out in this enterprise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Captain Pissweak posted:

Have you seen any other people around the plains besides us?
SPotted Ear has seen other people but he keeps away from them. Trying to get him to communicate when and where is likely to be a hopeless task.

[OOC: Barkskin is a touch spell. +1 to AC and saves for the duration 6 rounds in your case.]

• Locked thread