Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Martha

Martha sits uncomfortably on a chair far too big for her. Jack, lays on the ground underneath Martha swinging legs. Jack is looking at the man sitting across from them with interest. While the chair for this man is the right size for him, he looks just as uncomfortable as Martha sitting on it. Martha is repeating the man's name "Ciar'an" in her head trying to commit it to memory. Something she often struggles to do.

Just then, Feavle the printer enters the room with another would be adventurer.

Feavle says "Amaranth this is Ciar'an and Martha. Others will join you soon. Farwell."

Martha looks at the new adventurer and is unable to tell anything about them. Already uncomfortable with the silence in the room she hands Amaranth a flyer that she recently printed. It has "SMASH THE PATRIARCHY" written in bold font at the top.

Hi, I am Martha and this is Jack

pointing to the dog underneath her chair

and that is Ciar'an

pointing to the man in the other chair

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Ha, no one ever has called me fair before. Not even my own mum or dad, the gods bless them.

I grew up in this city, down in the Dwarvern district.

What brings you to the city all the way from Jarunda?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

[b]Martha

"Sorry that I was slow to respond, it takes me a time to gather my thoughts. I agree that we should work on a simpler task before heading out on the plains. When we do I would love to head to the dwarvern city.

As for the rats, I am happy to help clear the infestation as long as our druid friend doesn't mind.

The other advantage of hunting rats is that I can show you several traditional recipes using them" [\b]

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

I will tag along to the market with you also.

Bolo, I am happy for you to be in charge of our dealings with the printers as I know I have no head for numbers and business. However if you screw us over - I will personally cut off your business

+Martha smiles sweetly+

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 27, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Martha has never been a quick thinker. She has always found it easier to process things if she is shown them.

"I guess we should start at the start. Master Ablinth, could you please show us why you believe that rats are to blame for your loss and spoils"

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

She nods in agreement with Amaranth

Martha uses her natural dwarvern ability to examine the stone work. The quality of it and the "hardness' of the stone used. She finds it strange that rats could tunnel through quality dwarvern stonework

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

If you had talked to the right dwarf, you would have saved yourself ten gold pieces.

Martha chuckles to herself

So let me get this straight, they came through this wall here, filled the floor, crawled up to ceiling and then tunneled through the ceiling into the silos? I find it difficult to believe that rats could tunnel whilst being suspended from the ceiling.

Also, wouldn't the rest of the grain flow out through these tunnels once the silos had been breached?

Martha strokes her beard in self satisfaction. This undue smugness is part of her "charm"

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Well the average rat could tunnel through this plaster here

Martha scrapes some of the plaster off with her fingernail

Another seemingly obvious question is have you tried baiting then with large amounts of poisoned grain?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Martha throws the oil lamp she has been standing next to into the hole where the rats have come out of. If she can't see the hole - she throws it in the general direction of where the rats are coming from.

She too will fire her heavy crossbow, drop it and head out with Aello swinging her battle axe singing a dwarvern lullaby about rat pies.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Splode posted:

Bolo has a dangerous idea.
Guys, I could try and start a fire with the lamp oil to keep the rats off us. However, it might not be very safe. Thoughts?
He continues cutting through the rats.

Martha

Martha stops her song to yell

That's what I was trying to do numbnut! Feel free to try!

(OOC: I didn't know whether mr grain would enjoy seeing a dog here)

Martha sees Jack getting amongst it

Jack! heel! She belows

Martha puts herself between Jack and the oncoming rats and continues slaying as many as she can

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 30, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Martha tends to Jacks wounds

Whose a good boy? Yes you are!

How big was the single block that was pushed out? Big enough to crawl through?

While inspecting the new hole, Martha notices that the stone work is of shoddy quality. While the facade was shown to be neat, the blocks of stone don't sit neatly together like one would find with quality Dwarvern stonework.

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 1, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Ciarán could you please see if you can do anything for Jack while I make this hole bigger for you larger folk

Martha starts enlarging the hole by removing more of the stones

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Happily dusts most of the dirt off her hands. It felt good getting her hands dirty.

She scoops the injured Jack up and puts him into the top of her back pack so his head is sticking out the top. He is not overjoyed at this.

I am happy to lead the way as there seems just enough room for me to swing me' axe

Martha also collects her dropped heavy crossbow and reloads it while waiting for the others to gather themselves

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

These tunnels seem to have been made by the rats

I have five candles, we really only need one burning at a time for the two humans. I am happy to hand my candles over if we are happy to proceed. If Aello or Ciarán want to ask one of the millers, I would also be happy to wait

Martha strokes her beard and thinks to herself that she needs another word that means "happy"

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Splode posted:

Should we go back and get some guards as reinforcements?

Bolo attempts to conceal himself in the darkness as the party travels, so if they get jumped, he'll be in a better position.

Martha

Pfft we don't need help. Don't worry little man, us ladies will protect you

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha :black101:

Smiles at Aello's support

I am happy to stop here while Ciarán talks to his news friends

If they don't have any answers for him - I suggest that we keep taking the same turns that we made
(Turn left up ahead if we took the left tunnel previously - or right if we took the right previously). This way at the end of the day we know that we explored all possible options.

If it's OK with the rest of the party, I will keep my eye out for any secret doors or traps. This will slow us down a little - but it pays to be safe sometimes.

(OOC: I do like those two smilies representing Martha and Aello)

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

Things to know from rats: Where they came from, who is giving them orders, how many more there are, why they are attacking a well defended grain store instead of softer targets, whether there is an undefended entrance into their lair/nest...anything else?

Martha is happy with these questions

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Puts herself between the on coming winged creature and the party.

She readies her crossbow and yells "halt!"

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Goes in with Axe and sheild

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Drops her Axe and grabs one her special bolts and uses it to stab the beast

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Martha looks at Amaranth inspecting the crumpled form of the gargoyle. She is shaking from both fear and awe of what the tiny elf just did, like every time she sees magic.

I thank you for your help, though as you could probably tell Aello and I had it under control

She hopes Amaranth can't see her hands shaking as she picks her battle axe back up off the ground

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha :black101:

Readies her crossbow (normal bolt)

If the rats attack she will fire, drop it and attack with axe and shield

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 4, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Continues fighting with her axe and shield, she also tries to make space for Aello :hist101: to fight along side her (if this is possible)

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Rubs the back of her head.

to Aello

With friends like these...

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Before we go visit whoever is in the cottage, lets clean ourselves up a little bit.

Martha spits into an old rag and tries to wipe the rat guts and blood from her

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Aello!

Martha does her usual firing of crossbow, dropping it and charging in with axe and shield

This time she is not smiling though

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Growls as she drops her axe and grabs one +1 bolt throwing the rest of the magical bolts on the ground.

Grab my crossbow and the bolts she yells

She fights the wererat with shield and bolt.

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 5, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Once she has checked that everyone is going to be OK, sighs contentedly.

She allows Ciarán to check her wounds with little modesty.

While waiting for Aello to recuperate, she helps Ciarán check the body and the insides of the cottage. If the cottage is clear she helps move Aello inside to whatever bed is there

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Bolo, could you please try and open these chests. I could open them with Bessie, but there is no point destroying things that we can use later

I will pour us all a drink in the meantime

Martha pours some ale from her cask into a drinking cup and watches Bolo

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Captain Pissweak posted:

Halfway through his meditative state of rest, Ciarán stirs with a sudden start.

Of course! How foolish of me to forget. From within his robes pockets he pulls a small jar and heads over to apply what is inside on Aello.

Martha, if you would like your wounds cured, you may want to take some of this.

Aye - if you have any left after helping Aello

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Not necessarily the cottage but the bed at some point was owned, or made, by the saw-millers guild

Also I say we claim the cottage as our own now :black101:

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

I think FN was the maker of the sword, I think the owner is smoldering out front.

We should see if it is magical before we pawn it though. I am sick of stabbing things with my bolts

From now on Martha will use the magical arrows in crossbow unless otherwise stated

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Taking her cues from Aello, points her axe at Ablinth

Very serious indeed

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Scrunches up her face

What choo talkin bout Willis? Ablinth?

Laugh track

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Bristling

I would be pretty stupid to leave poisoned grain lying around after you told me not to. Are you calling my stupid?

I swear by Teheda herself that I had nothing to do with this, may She strike me down if I am lying. If you call me a liar or stupid again I will strike you down!

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

In a tone far more respectful

I also have nothing to hide father - though I am happy for Aello to speak for the party

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Thank you father, may Teheda strengthen your arm

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Now that he has calmed down, feels like that she should show him the problem with his fresh stonework.

Master Ablinth, I think you should also look at this. See how the stones here are sitting loosely next to each other. If this was done to proper dwarvern standards there blocks would be sitting snugly together like to a bride and a groom.

Hopefully with the wererat taken care of the rats won't bother you anymore, however we did find more than just rats in the tunnels. You may want to have this work done properly, I can recommend a few names. Also you should look into getting your money back for such sloppy work.

Let me know if you need help with that, we can't have dwarves doing shoddy work

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Still fuming at Bolo's little trick. She keeps this in check by reminding herself that she doesn't trust him or the magic-user so she shouldn't judge.

The weaponsmiths are nearby the furriers. Let's drop by there on our way and have a chat to one bearing the initials found on the wererat's sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Also if we are heading out on the plains later to catch these trappers, the dairy is also on that way.

I suggest we visit, the weaponsmith, the furriers, the dairy and then the great plain in that order. How does that sound?

• Locked thread