Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth AKA Lyme

The elf you know as Amaranth is left standing uncomfortably for a long moment, before making an almost-desperate lunge for a seat. She takes the offered flyer and smiles encouragingly(?) through the introductions.

Greetings fellow adventurers, I am Amaranth of Jurunda, an elf. I come from the mage tower of Jurunda. I am joining this expedition because I love adventure and wish to document the unique phenomena we may encounter.

A chicken's head pokes out from her bag then disappears.

This is my chicken Tisiphone, please do not eat it.

Amaranth scans the flyer and puts it in her bag. She seems to size up the other two and looks unhappy, but keeps trying to smile. The human is staring at the dog, so she turns to the dwarf.

What brings a fair dwarf lady such as yourself to this city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth AKA Lyme

To Martha
As one of the highest-achieving students of the tower, I chose to complete my formal education in a more exciting locale. In particular, I am to document unusual creatures, artifacts, and other phenomena. Norward and environs would do well enough, but an exploratory excursion such as this should prove even more educational.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
At the invitation, Amaranth lights up and starts talking hard and fast.

Jurunda is a grand plateau, sitting atop cliffs and slopes somewhat like those surrounding Norward, but far more extreme. This in turn prevents the bandits, beasts and miscreants inhabiting the plains from threatening the upper lands. While Norward is a dense hive built up on itself, on Jurunda the settlements sprawl out with gardens, fields and orchards. As the land is peaceful and serene, there is little concern of attack so only minor defenses such as low stone walls are used. Jurunda is also unique in that it possesses great forests, which many of the great Elven cities reside in, and where it is said the first Elves appeared after the first sunrise. The woodlands are truly wondrous, you could walk for days without seeing another elf, never being struck by harsh sunlight of freezing rain...

And she just keeps going :stonk:

...and because of the safety of the plateau and relative dangers of the lowlands, attempts at exploratory research are rarely attempted, therefore expeditions such as my own are of the greatest academic importance.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth AKA Lyme

Amaranth is sitting still and staring, all this haggling, deal-making and jostling for positions is beyond her, and she knows almost nothing about Norward. :stare:

Description:
She is an elf mage from Jurunda recently arrived in Norward. She has reddish-brown hair in a practical ponytail and brown eyes. She is short even for an elf, only slightly taller than Martha the dwarf, but probably half as heavy, or less. She is wearing a fine dark green dress with matching cloak and hood. Being in a land filled with non-elves seems to make her highly withdrawn or uncomfortable.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Mistress Aello, I have considerable scholastic experience, but Norward is largely unknown to me. I would personally prefer, initially at least, a 'quest' inside the walls. Though there are doubtlessly dangers within the city, they surely cannot compare to that of the vast plains, so some preparation and practice beforehand would be most prudent.

She stares a bit at Bolo.

I will also support the halfling Bolo as representative.

This is probably the largest group of non-elves she has ever spoken to.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth aka Lyme

She is silent as she ponders the choices. None of them seem terribly appealing. Rats least of all.

I believe I would prefer to study the nobility, if they would tolerate it. If they are pleased by our efforts, their patronage could provide many opportunities in future.

I could also... put some efforts towards the academic, as a personal project. I am classically educated, and though I do not have the resources of my family library, I can certainly investigate the great mysteries of... why the sky is blue. And so forth.

She looks mildly disappointed with herself.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth aka Lyme stares at Ciarán.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

thatbastardken posted:

Aello

Oblivious to all this staring and rising tension, Aello decides to make a unilateral decision

Alright, how about we start with something simple? Rat hunting might not be glamorous but it should give us all a chance to get to know each other.

Directed at Lyme

Mistress Amaranth, this likely isn't going to be a particularly intellectually stimulating task, but I have no doubt you will put your best effort into it.

Lyme reluctantly agrees but tries to sound okay with it.

I will follow your lead, Mistress Aello. This venture shall receive the best of my ability. Yes.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

To everyone

I believe we need a group name, so that the Printers Guild can refer to us in publication without listing every member. Something poetic and easy to recall. I believe most groups go with the style 'Company of the Star', 'The Norward Band', and so on. We most likely do not need one immediately, but should have a moniker prepared for our first report.

She looks around uncertainly. Hopefully this doesn't cause another period of tediousness.

I suppose we could just call ourselves by our leader. :rolleyes:

Bolo's Boisterous Bruiser Brigade? Aello's Adventurers? Ciarán's Critter Company? Amaranths's Exceptional Fellowship? Martha's Mashers?

To Aello

It is good that someone tries to instil some order. Are you from a noble house, or soldier family to learn such directness?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

I have already been to the mundane markets today, but I intend to visit some arcane stores for reagents or tools that may be of assistance. I will head to the Bylin as soon as I am finished, which should not take long.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

I will meet you all at the Bylin. Farewell.

Her eyes linger on Martha as she leaves, she really wasn't expecting that from the dwarf.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She is paying close attention since this is not a mundane rat-catching task, but is slightly concerned at the possibility, nay, likelihood of giant, super-intelligent rats. Most of all, this fucker's racism is disturbing to her demeanour.

Master Ablinth, has anyone witnessed the incursions first-hand? Have any of the beasts been trapped or killed by the guards, or have they avoided confrontation?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She is rather pleased at not being the target of this fool's prejudices. Ah, little victories.

On one hand, no wererats spotted, but the whole tunnelling horde thing is definitely unusual.

She rolls her eyes a little at Aello. Noble, brave, and strong, but not bright.

Master Ablinth, as the rats are regularly tunnelling through earth and masonry as a swarm with the intent of absconding with grain, heedless of self-preservation yet holding to a timetable, it seems likely there is a diabolical will behind this. I cannot say what without further information, but the cause could range from there being a very large, intelligent rat directing raids for food, to a very... underhanded magician using them to manipulate property values or the grain market. Such cases are rare, but not unknown.

Pause for mysterious effect.

Have you or your business recently fell afoul of a magician, or more likely, someone rich, influential and underhanded enough to hire one? On previous invasions, were there any rodents of unusual size, colouration or intelligence, or were any possessed of extreme disfiguration or other unusual features? Any information would be most helpful. Thank you.

To the party, quietly.

I fear that our path sets us to crawling into the tunnel behind the rats as they leave, discovering an ancient subterranean city, and fighting a vast horde of misshapen rat-men led by a mutant sewer-dwelling orphan who wishes revenge upon the city.

Mistress Aello, if we encounter any deep pools of water, would you kindly convey me across? I do not wish to drown.

She has now used all her spoons.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She looks around for something to stand on, such as a crate or furniture, that the rats are unlikely to climb up when they pour into the room.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She gathers a small crate and sits on it near the others. She carefully considers the various unlikely causes of this rat plague.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She stands on top of her crate and starts slinging bullets at rats, wondering if this really was the best plan we could figure out.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She yells above the chittering and splattering and scrabbling.

I could put a large number of these beasts to sleep, but it would be a waste if we later encountered gigantic, ferocious pseudorats!

She is not used to uncertainty.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

At the realisation that these vermin are in fact going to swarm and bite her, rather than ignore her on their way to the grain, she gives a strangled cry of anguish and frustration. With a boiling sea of rodents rising up her crate island, she reaches into her bag and unleashes Tisiphone, her chicken, born hunter of small vermin.

Defend me please, Tisiphone!

She also calls for her hawk familiar Typhon, waiting outside. Hopefully somebody left a window open.

As foul rats climb up the refuge, she kicks and stomps them with savage fury, driven more by pent-up issues than any real strength or ability.

*Inarticulate screams of combat rage*

OOC: Lyme is 130cm tall and weighs 32kg, so any sort of combat is going to be endlessly amusing to me :v:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

When she emerges from her righteous elven fury, she is surprised to see the rats have fled, and her party members already picking away at the hole in the wall, which no doubt leads to a tunnel tall enough for a human to walk in, somehow.

I need to get my familiar.

She replaces Tisiphone in her bag and runs in a dignified manner to the stairway out, to let the hawk familiar Typhon in, then rejoin her bodyguards. Along the way she tries to scrape rat parts off her shoes.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Now with a hawk on her shoulder, she approaches the excavated tunnel and tries not be too disgusted by the smell. She glances up at the rather high ceiling.

Martha, was this tunnel excavated entirely by rats, or were tools used?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Since everyone else is likely to be involved in martial efforts, I would be ecstatic to hold a candle for our vision-impaired comrades.

A big smile proves this.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She holds the lantern carefully.

We need some way of navigating our way out as we go deeper. I suggest carving an arrow in the wall indicating the way we came.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Don't panic, ebil.

She hides the light of the lantern, lets her eyes adjust, and uses infravision to see which tunnel has been most heavily used by the rats.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

I will recommend Martha choose our path from here, she likely knows more about navigating this environment than anyone else present.

She peers at the stream.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Ask it how big the 'big rat' is, and if there are strange creatures that are like rats but not rats.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She steps behind the others while trying to figure out what it is.

And starts slinging bullets at it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

I am not going to run from this piece of overambitious statuary!

She slings with greater vengeance. This thing probably isn't even sentient! Whatever it is!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She's shaken by the seeming invulnerability of this creature. This is her first real life-or-death situation (the rats don't count), and now it's entirely up to her to stop it. Such a responsibility!

Martha, I assume that is an enchanted bolt! How many do you have? I will temporarily disable it so that we can properly destroy it, so everyone keep clear and do not strike it! If you do, it will wake prematurely!

She places the lantern on the ground and casts Sleep on the creature.

Rat-talker, get back here!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Yes, my plan worked perfectly!

She inspects the creature closely to figure out what it is.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 4, 2014

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Whispered to Martha

I was not sure the spell would work, it's not exactly a mundane beast. Do you know anything of what else could live in these caves?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She tells Typhon to defend her against any that get to her in melee range, although she is standing near the back. She uses her sling at range and kicks in melee.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Actually I ordered my hawk familiar to defend me from any rats that get to me, chicken is unused.
:goonsay:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She gives a long look at Bolo.

There is likely an unusual formation up ahead. An underground forest sanctuary? That could explain the high rat population, and a magical influence could be the cause of the unusually large and intelligent ones.

Mundane Chicken: Tisiphone
Familiar Hawk: Typhon

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 5, 2014

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Her eyes narrow as she wonders what the hell is going on here. She was really hoping for a magical underground forest.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She does her best to look inconspicuous, which is actually rather good thanks to her innately superior elven blood. She tells Typhon the hawk familiar to fly up and circle the area as a scout.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She pounds a fist into her palm, winning the internal bet that this weirdo was a giant rat. If only she had told someone else, she could be basking in glory. Well, she can tell everyone later. Wait, he just cut Aello down in an instant. That's not good. Why didn't they stop and let her memorise another spell?

She launches a bullet at the were-rat or rat-man or pseudo-rat or whatever it is and informs Typhon that it would be very good if they dived down and clawed this goober's eyes out. But please don't die. Where's Bolo?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Another absurdly resilient creature... I really must invest in better tools... and conserve spells more carefully...

Moving toward the creature, she produces one of the oil flasks the silo guards provided. Undoing the stopper, she passes it to Typhon, who is hopefully able to keep it upright, and instructs Typhon to empty it as best it can over the beast and not her allies.

Meanwhile Lyme shall sling her silver coins at the beast with great vengeance.

A foolproof plan.

:gonk:: Aaaaaugh!

Typhon can help kill those giant rats too when they complete their mission :911:

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 5, 2014

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She tells Typhon to have a go at one of the giant rats attacking Martha, and tries to get behind the rat-fiend. With a mighty swing of her puny arms she attempts to smash her lit lantern on his oil-soaked robes, and hopefully not die in the process.

:gonk:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She runs away screaming trailing smoke like an idiot. Typhon flies away trailing smoke like a stunt plane and lands on the roof of the cottage.

:supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

After confirming that she is not on fire and is not about to be rended apart by giant rats, she checks the health of her hawk, chicken and eyebrows, and leaves any treatment to the druid who probably knows better. Choking on the stench of burnt rat infused into her clothing and person, she attempts to locate any hidden basement hatches, wall panels or other concealed doodads, but leaves opening them to Bolo. After checking around the house she goes to looks at the holy symbol the wererat had.

This may be a sign of affiliation with an illicit cult or order. I would like to do some research on it, but it could take some time and having the original would be very helpful.

If she has some spare paper, she takes some fireplace charcoal and makes a rubbing of the holy symbol, and copies the letter.

• Locked thread