Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Here's where we can blither on about the game and the rules (as they pertain to this setting).

Here's the actual game for your turns.

First things first.

Rolling up your character.

There are so many choices. My personal preference is that you roll 3d6 and redistribute the ~raw rolls~ to your hearts desire. ie. Rogor rolls 3d6 six times and gets

11,12,16,14,10,15 (after checking to see if his dice are loaded - those are amazing rolls) I allow him to allocate them as he chooses to Strength (S), Intelligence (I), Wisdom (W), Dexterity (D), Constitution (Con) and Charisma (Char). Rogor really wanted to be a Paladin but alas that is not to be so he goes for Monk. He doesn't have the rolls for that either. Rogor punches Cartoon and storms off. Once we all calm down a bit, Rogor is shown that his power gaming tendencies can be fulfilled by choosing either a Druid an Assassin or an Illusionist. He chooses to be a Fighter instead. Rearranging his rolls means he has S:16 I:10 W:11 D:14 Con:15 and Char:12. He could have played a fighter with the rolls in the order he created them, but as rolled the locations most suit a Druid. The down side to this is if you have your heart set on a particular build you will be disappointed.

v This is the accepted method.v

Another one, that some like, is you are allocated a pool of 68 points and can make whatever character you like. This makes Rogor happy as he can allocate 17 to his Charisma and be a Paladin. One possible Paladin build under this regime is S:12 I:9 W:13 D:6 Con:11 Char:17.

Your first job is to declare which method you would prefer. You may choose one of the above or suggest ANYTHING. If you want to screw around with a bit of automated character creation try this.

Please have a quick look at the setting and set-up as outlined in the link at the top. Any strong negative sentiments would be appreciated at this point to prevent wasting anyone's time.

My principle is quirky is fun and good unless it isn't. If it isn't fun we are going to do it the alternate way.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I rolled 10,10,11,10,17,8

Reading the classes now

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

How's this?

I used a random name generator for maximum :sperg:

Part of the fun of original AD&D is rolling a bad character and dying, right?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Are we deciding collectively as a group which one we prefer, or just individually? Either way I like point assign better since it means people don't get locked out of the class / race they were looking for arbitrarily.

Also how much homeruling is going on in character creation? Are dwarf druids (for the sake of argument) a thing that can exist, or are we sticking rigidly to the fact that dwarves only like rocks.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Captain Pissweak posted:

Are we deciding collectively as a group which one we prefer, or just individually? Either way I like point assign better since it means people don't get locked out of the class / race they were looking for arbitrarily.

Also how much homeruling is going on in character creation? Are dwarf druids (for the sake of argument) a thing that can exist, or are we sticking rigidly to the fact that dwarves only like rocks.

Isn't the point of this we stick to the stupid rules no matter how stupid?

I'm thinking halfling thief or human fighter, but I'm not fussy.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Yeah I'm fine with sticking to rules like that and most likely would regardless, I was just curious.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ok I attempted to read the handbook and it's not happening. Everything is percentile tables. I will play blind and ignorant of the rules.

I think I'll just use the automatic character generator, disregard my previous set of roles.

Splode fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 22, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I am at work at the moment - so I would prefer the point allocation. Also it means that we all have players of roughly the same level of shitiness gridiness

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Freudian Slip posted:

I am at work at the moment - so I would prefer the point allocation. Also it means that we all have players of roughly the same level of shitiness gridiness

This is another thing I forgot to mention: point assignment means there won't be anyone totally poo poo nor godly powerful and therefore feeling like they're letting down / holding up the team.

That's what being a magic-user is for.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

yeah lets go point assignment. Someone find an automatic character sheet generator that allows that.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I had originally thought that a common character creation mode would be 'fair' but the ensuring chaos has caused me to reconsider. EDIT - Point assignment from 68 it is.

Specifically though: A Dwarven Druid. Maybe. I haven't yet explained the racial locations/specifics in this setting. A Chaotic Good (CG) Dwarven Druid? Not a chance.

Splode: Sticking to the silly rules is to get the flavour of Gygax's setting and to spring the occasional idiot bomb out of nowhere. If you think a particular rule is ridiculous and is going to hurt your fun then it's gone. If you don't want to worry about the 'under the hood' stuff then decide what you want to play and I'll do the rolling.

An automatic generator that allows point assignment is going to be hard to find (I think). Use the one linked with the last option to get close.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 22, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
code:
LordPants

True Neutral Elf Thief

Str 11
Int 10
WIS 8
DEX 15
CON 9
CHR 15

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Here's what I did using the sample generator (good at weeding out silly errors) but there are ten additional points I'd have to shave. If you were to do this I'd shave them to be within the rules respecting your 'preference flow'

Thanks for being a sport LordPants. I like this guy more. Is it your 'final'?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ok here we go!

oh sorry pants, didn't see you were also a theif

Splode fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 22, 2014

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Yo Cartoon how's this?

e: oh hey I wanted to make him a crazy old man and just noticed the age box, welp. Imagine that's whatever a long lived age for this setting is rather than twenty eight. I promise it's not a joke at your expense. :blush:

Seagull fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 22, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Martha Oakenshield

Female Dwarf Fighter (neutral good)

STR 18 (68) (LOL at the old rule that women had max strength of 17 :biotruths:)
Int 8
Wis 8
Dex 10
Con 17
Cha 7

Splode - where did you get that from? Also I may have to put her in as a male due to that rule. People get confused by the beard

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 22, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Freudian Slip posted:

Splode - where did you get that from? Also I may have to put her in as a male due to that rule. People get confused by the beard

Same generator they're using: there's a link down the bottom to print it, and that's the format it uses. Yes I did really keep re-rolling until I got 68 points.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon posted:

Thanks for being a sport LordPants. I like this guy more. Is it your 'final'?

Not any more. Wait till everyone else rolls then i'll fill the gap.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I rolled randomly for as much as possible (roll a 6, pick sixth entry on class), and this is what I got :stonk:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I'll come back and roll in a moment, thinking either fighter/thief or cleric.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Splode, CP, FS, Shadeoses.

I have made a physical copy of your 'Permanent Character Record'. The Dwarven Female with an anomalous strength is a classic example of something that is against the rules that I am going to allow because a player wanted it and seriously who gives a gently caress. I'll adjust the setting to allow for this. So if you ever wonder why that pretty little dwarf in a pink overall hit like a tank when you ~knew~ their damage bonus was +1 tops now you know.

Start thinking about what weapons and equipment you would like. I am going to use an extensive 'mallet space * ' rule to overcome the worst of encumbrance stuff but if you are crawling through a damp 3' diameter tunnel expect the ubiquitous 10' pole to be an issue.

Also consider your appearance and religious leaning if not a cleric/druid. Ciar'an L'oegaire has no choice of deity and this will be discussed during their solo adventure.

CP I have assigned you the age of fifty.

Lord Pants it seems we have a fighter, a healer and a couple of DPS so you can be anything you want and always could. I'd go with a party of eight mages if I had to.

* Mallet space is the 'small' inter-dimensional space that Daffy Duck reaches into to get mallets.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I assume I can take the hit points and gold the app rolled up for me?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bolo is a halfing thief. Well, thief is a very accusatory term. He prefers "Redistributor". He has slick, black hair cut short, and a neatly kept pencil mustache. Like most halflings, he is chubby by human standards, but it would be unreasonable to describe him as fat. Bolo left his home town shortly after the largest pumpkin competition ended in disaster when the winning pumpkin went missing moments before the ceremony. Finding himself in the city, he's found that the lifestyle suits him much better than his rural beginnings, though the recent troubles make him feel uneasy, and the idea of leaving has occurred to him on numerous occasions.

Bolo's weapon of choice is a short, well-made rapier (long sword)
He typically wears a crimson hardened leather vest worn with an intricate pattern embossed into it. This is worn over a short-sleeved silk shirt, always a dark colour (deep purple being his favourite). A pair of rugged, dark green cloth trousers with leather knee pads cover his legs, and, as a halfling, he does not wear shoes.

When "contracting", Bolo tries to make sure he has "the essentials" with him
- a good length of rope
- a flint and steel, as well as a tinderbox
- 2 days rations "you never know when you'll be caught in a spot"
- a leather waterskin
- a set of lockpicks
- a backup set of lockpicks (kept somewhere more... secure)
- a small purse "mainly for bribes"
- a few lengths of course fabric "for gags, when the bribe doesn't work"
- a small vanity mirror "More useful than you'd think!"

I probably can't afford all this but this is what I'd like to have

Splode fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 22, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Captain Pissweak posted:

I assume I can take the hit points and gold the app rolled up for me?
Why the hell not.

Splode posted:

Bolo is a halfing thief. Well, thief is a very accusatory term. He prefers "Redistributor". He has slick, black hair cut short, and a neatly kept pencil mustache. Like most halflings, he is chubby by human standards, but it would be unreasonable to describe him as fat. Bolo left his home town shortly after the largest pumpkin competition ended in disaster when the winning pumpkin went missing moments before the ceremony. Finding himself in the city, he's found that the lifestyle suits him much better than his rural beginnings, though the recent troubles make him feel uneasy, and the idea of leaving has occurred to him on numerous occasions.

Bolo's weapon of choice is a short, well-made rapier.
He typically wears a crimson hardened leather vest worn with an intricate pattern embossed into it. This is worn over a short-sleeved silk shirt, always a dark colour (deep purple being his favourite). A pair of rugged, dark green cloth trousers with leather knee pads cover his legs, and, as a halfling, he does not wear shoes.

When "contracting", Bolo tries to make sure he has "the essentials" with him
- a good length of rope
- a flint and steel, as well as a tinderbox
- 2 days rations "you never know when you'll be caught in a spot"
- a set of lockpicks
- a backup set of lockpicks (kept somewhere more... secure)
- a small purse "mainly for bribes"
- a few lengths of course fabric "for gags, when the bribe doesn't work"
- a small vanity mirror "More useful than you'd think!"

I probably can't afford all this but this is what I'd like to have
Your rapier will be treated (for game purposes) as if it was a long sword. Your armour is considered standard leather (for game purposes) however special occasions may arise where the lack of sleeves/leggings may be an issue. What you could not afford you have clearly stolen.

Of the four players I have sheets for all but one have PMs. I will do the three with PMs via PM. Shadeoses, as you don't have pms (and ironically may have the most to hide) can you suggest another way? I can be emailed at Phialy at gmail d0t c0m for example.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 22, 2014

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'll buy PMs, it's just easier for the future :v: (bought!)

As a magic-user, I assume the rules are no weapons bigger or more complicated than a dagger, staff or sling, and no clothes heavier than a coat or robe?

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 22, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Shadeoses posted:

I'll buy PMs, it's just easier for the future :v: (bought!)

As a magic-user, I assume the rules are no weapons bigger or more complicated than a dagger, staff or sling, and no clothes heavier than a coat or robe?
That's the long and short of it but anomalies may be possible via your solo adventure.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán Lóegaire is a druid living in the game park outside of Norward, mainly working to keep the "fierce" wild animals safe from the townsfolk who like to attack the defenceless for sport, without need for food. He is an old man of fifty years, and his long exile from the city shows, with his long grey hair and beard interspersed with twigs and leaves from various plants. Despite his age, he is fairly stout, and not the frail figure one might expect.

He carries with him a club carved from the wood of an oak tree with a trinity knot carved into it and a small stone dagger, along with a wooden shield. He wears leather armour beneath an old, brown robe and a leather belt with two large pouches affixed, one filled with mistletoe, oak leaves and other druidic components, and the other empty save a few gold pieces. Finally, he carries a waterskin in a sling over his shoulder which he tries to always have filled with clean water.

After getting all this stuff I was left over with nearly sixty gold and decided "eh a druid wouldn't keep around that much coin anyway" so I just bumped it down to ten. :v:

Now as for magic I'm a little confused, am I just picking any two level one spells to have from the get go?

Seagull fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 22, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Getting to 68 exactly is a logistical nightmare.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

thatbastardken posted:

Just do the +5 and assign all the points how you want, choose your race, class and alignment and junk, then subtract the excess :ssh:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
code:
LordPants

Neutral/Evil Elf Assassin 

Str 12
Int 16
WIS 11
DEX 12
CON 8
CHR 9
Ideally I'd like a light crossbow, a dagger, "thieves tools" and or a vial of poison.

Lock it in, except for the name I'll think of something.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Captain Pissweak posted:

Ciarán Lóegaire is a druid living in the plains outside of Norward, mainly working to keep the "fierce" wild animals safe from the townsfolk who like to attack the defenceless for sport, without need for food. He is an old man of fifty years, and his long exile from the city shows, with his long grey hair and beard interspersed with twigs and leaves from various plants. Despite his age, he is fairly stout, and not the frail figure one might expect.

He carries with him a club carved from the wood of an oak tree with a trinity knot carved into it and a small stone dagger, along with a wooden shield. He wears leather armour beneath an old, brown robe and a leather belt with two large pouches affixed, one filled with mistletoe, oak leaves and other druidic components, and the other empty save a few gold pieces. Finally, he carries a waterskin in a sling over his shoulder which he tries to always have filled with clean water.

After getting all this stuff I was left over with nearly sixty gold and decided "eh a druid wouldn't keep around that much coin anyway" so I just bumped it down to ten. :v:

Now as for magic I'm a little confused, am I just picking any two level one spells to have from the get go?

Amend the location from plain to game park and all that is golden. As a druid you don't have to choose spells except for on a daily basis. You can potentially cast any that are first level. You can in fact cast four spells a day. Two for your level and two bonus ones due to your high wisdom (15 lol). Spell selection must be done every day and can only be amended by resting for 4 hours (1st level spells). There are only twelve (1st level). Read all the descriptions. Perennial favorites are entangle and faerie fire.

thatbastardken posted:

Then don't bother. Pick a class and race and I'll make it happen and tell you the result.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Lyme is an elven maiden estranged from her noble family. While her older siblings were prepared for prestigious positions and generally enjoyed themselves, she was left without a clear future and devoted herself to studying magical theory and being bitter. Despite showing good talent in the magical arts, the combination of ambition and callous disregard for others culminated in much of academy being afflicted with mildly irritating skin lesions and rashes (an attempt to build an original skin-melting spell, unintentionally released). Knowing that her involvement would be uncovered (the imagined consequences fuelled by paranoia and panic), Lyme fled the grounds, pausing at the familial estate only to grab some personal treasures and supplies before leaving her homeland forever.

Her naivete and unfriendly demeanour has resulted in her being robbed twice, and bitten by a cow. She has managed to hide some coins and her favourite necklace in the hidden pockets of her dress, and has enriched herself slightly by robbing an dead bandit she found under a hedge. So far, the only creature she has not driven away is a stray chicken named Tisiphone, which she keeps safely in her travel bag alongside some useful-looking herbs. It brings her mild comfort. At home she performed the usual religious rites, but her recent struggles have solidified her devotion to the deity of magic and power. What other way is there to get ahead?

Lyme is dressed in torn and stained blue noble's dress and matching travel cloak and hood, which she keeps up to protect her identity from imagined pursuers. She also has the bandit's boots and dagger. Hunger and tiredness has rendered her more abrasive than usual, but she is slowly learning not to antagonise people pointlessly. Her unusually small stature and hidden features lead to some assuming she is a child, which is not helpful. She aims to start a new life in this horrible city full of filthy non-elves, preferably in a way that lets her vent frustration. Revenge against her family is a vague but soothing notion.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Cartoon posted:

Amend the location from plain to game park and all that is golden. As a druid you don't have to choose spells except for on a daily basis. You can potentially cast any that are first level. You can in fact cast four spells a day. Two for your level and two bonus ones due to your high wisdom (15 lol). Spell selection must be done every day and can only be amended by resting for 4 hours (1st level spells). There are only twelve (1st level). Read all the descriptions. Perennial favorites are entangle and faerie fire.

Okay sweet wasn't expecting things to be that good. Entangle, Pass Without Trace, Purify Water and Speak with Animals will be the first day's load.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Then don't bother. Pick a class and race and I'll make it happen and tell you the result.

It's ok, I got it worked out I think.

Going to take the biggest sword and heaviest armour I can afford.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I assume waterskin goes with the rations, but I've edited my equipment post anyway.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

LordPants posted:

code:
LordPants

Neutral/Evil Elf Assassin 

Str 12
Int 16
WIS 11
DEX 12
CON 8
CHR 9
Ideally I'd like a light crossbow, a dagger, "thieves tools" and or a vial of poison.

Lock it in, except for the name I'll think of something.

OK, done. You don't have PMs so please notify me of an email addy or ping (a contact email to) Phialy at gmail d0t c0m or come up with another method for your starting solo adventure. Given that you have chosen to be NE it is probably best we do you in private.

Splode posted:

I assume waterskin goes with the rations, but I've edited my equipment post anyway.
Works for me. Only be as rigorous as you wish to be for your own amusement with inventory. Main items like weapons will be closely scrutinised but how many iron rations is only fun if you think it is. There will be no 'AHA YOU ARE OUT OF LANTERN OIL IT IS DARK NOW!' gotchas unless I think it is gonna be funny in which case having an accurately updated sheet may actually spoil the fun, or add to it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

thatbastardken posted:

It's ok, I got it worked out I think.

Going to take the biggest sword and heaviest armour I can afford.

:eyepop:

Almost a girl version of this

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Yeah lets hope she doesn't have to do up her shoelaces anytime soon. As graceful as a truck.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
She'd tear her foot off trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure 6 in any ability score counts as a disability, or close to one.

• Locked thread