Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think I would have a better chance of hitting it with my weak noodle arms if Martha manoeuvred around so it faced away from me.

When I missed with the coin did it fly above the wererat or go straight vertical from the sling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
More or less straight vertical from the sling (You rolled a 1). I briefly thought of having you drill yourself in the foot but rolled to determine direction and that's what came "up".

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
This guy is not nearly as nice as the Rat King.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Hey you were the one who pissed him off!

There was a small chance that this might not have ended in violence, but with someone appearing on his literal doorstep with what appeared to be a member of the town guard asking exactly the 'wrong' question? Well you've seen what happened next. Shame really, this guy might have been able to tell you what was going on. As it is you know him only as rat face.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I wanted to go up alone. :colbert:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Well I guess I had better move on my turn anyway so that I don't KO myself when the coin comes down.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:flame: Don't you have to move in any case? :supaburn:

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
So are we setting him on fire now?

I should probably grab another bolt to be safe and keep fighting.

So i am guessing CP and Bolo will go for the rats while Shadeoses will try and set the wererat on fire?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm considering it :colbert: Maybe I'll just get my bird to use the lantern for me :colbert: Maybe I'll do something else :colbert:

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Please make it happen this turn - he can one shot me now! Then he will be into you squishy folk

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
And, as it came up, I don't use a critical success/fail system as such. Rolling a 1 meaning you always miss and rolling a 20 meaning you always hit skews things enough, statistically. I just use the dice to help tell the story. For instance if rat face had rolled a 20 when he hit Aello for 8 damage (which was max damage for him btw) I would have considered the possibility of the removal of an extremity. Had the tables been turned (and it was a monster getting thwacked) then it was totally a decapitation.

Hope this makes sense.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
What is this, DH. Pick a game old man.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Shadeoses, better make sure Tisiphone is okay in your backpack or everyone might be having a delicious roast chicken dinner. :henget:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Captain Pissweak posted:

What is this, DH. Pick a game old man.

Does this resurrect my nerd cred any.

EDIT - Fixed orientation would have poo poo me forever.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 6, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

So did the wererat only have a longsword and a robe?

I suggest we give the longsword to Aello - it could be magical

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Aello is more of a greatsword fighter - although that could change.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Freudian Slip posted:

So did the wererat only have a longsword and a robe?

I suggest we give the longsword to Aello - it could be magical
You answers lie in the thread. Also you can scratch the robe.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Do candles give much worse light than lanterns, to the point it makes hitting things or spotting enemies harder?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The books (PHB p.102):

Radius of light Source illumination
Torch 40'
Lantern 30'
Bullseye Lanthorn 80'**
Magic Dagger 10'
Magic Short Sword 15'
Magic Long Sword 20'

Candles aren't listed but 5' is considered appropriate. The main issue with candles is how easily they are extinguished.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
We're in a cottage filled with stuff that we aren't particularly attached to, can we improves some torches from furniture, curtains and oil?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Yes.

A torch is so simple even an ebil could do it. I'd recommend using what's left of rat face's robe and some random tree branches but if you want to trash the cottage...

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 6, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
BURN EVERY VILLAGE.

Lets wreck this place.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How much are the curtains and other liftable items of furnishing worth?

e: Anyone have an idea of how to shift 800kg of copper coins downhill into town?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Shadeoses posted:

e: Anyone have an idea of how to shift 800kg of copper coins downhill into town?

Melt it down and make it into a bike?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Shadeoses posted:

Emptying the cottage would probably net you around 2 gold. Replacing it would cost far more.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Just to be clear this cottage and land are outside the city area? Does that mean that we can just squat or lay a claim officially? It seems the land would be more valuable than anything else.

If we want, we could bury the excess copper in the chests and come back for it later - especially if we make this our base.

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 6, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The cottage and the land are outside the city walls in what could technically be called the rural land surrounding the city. This bit is the start of the forest that climbs the foothills to the mountains and becomes the tree line. Lower down are fields and such also outside the walls. I'll post a map to make this clearer at some point.

To your question. Someone owns this land and the cottage*. Burying treasure in chests has worked before. It has also failed before.

I suppose there must be some boundary further up the mountains where things get more ad hoc but this is just outside the wall.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Actually how far is it from the start? It seems like the granary from here through the tunnels was only a few hundred metres right? How about we leave the mage here to guard the money the four of us carry as much as we can without encumbering ourselves dump the coins back at the granary. Leave Bolo there and the three of us do as many trips as it takes?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Let's not leave anyone behind.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm okay watching you carry stuff for me, but the Miller's storehouse might not be the best place to deliver it, unless they also do moneychanging.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Maybe there is one of those automatic deposit machines around nearby? :shrug:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Call it 1 200 ft (400 meters). You can take around 4 000 cp a trip if everyone pitches in.

Also *giggle* at the coin pile. Got to love them old school treasure tables.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 6, 2014

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I could just carry a delicate amount of coins and set my hawk to watch the cottage and come and tell me if any minotaurs come to loot it, right?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

is 18000 copper even worth anything?
or is this a case of "18000 0.1cent pieces"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

It ends up being worth about 90 gold, we'll probably lose 5-10% of that to a money changer unless we bank it under some kind of company trust account.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
It's ninety gold.

So yes.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The cruelty factor goes up the bigger the hauling distance is, so from here it's pretty good for a few hours work. The cruelty come in when you walk for two months, kill a dragon and discover 10,000gp in coppers.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

I don't mean literally guarding the house - I meant that she could watch the house from the tunnel exit and run and yell if she sees anyone.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'll just go with the rest and leave Typhon to watch the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

This map might make things clearer. The city is on a spur of a mountain with two valleys beside it. These lead to a single valley which is also where the mountains meet the plain. A wall keeps the plain animals out and is surmounted on both sides by the ranges that make up the far sides of the two valleys. At the edge of the mountains is a steep cliff that is at least 20' high. A similar cliff also surrounds what is called the harbour on that map. I'll develop better visual aids as time permits. The 'round' bits in the valleys are both lakes.

• Locked thread