Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

twistedmentat posted:

Well, I always thought that FemShep and Carol had a lot in common. Pretty sure Captain Marvel would totally just left hook everyone if given the chance.

Man, you know Carol Danvers has about 200 hours on Mass Effect 2 and some strong opinions about the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wait how do they figure it's the 100th anniversary? Is that the 100th anniversary of Timely Comics?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Femshep is a really weird and creepy nickname, that is all.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I noticed that the Avengers Thread OP is missing info on the greatest Avengers property, which is of course MARVEL DISK WARS: THE AVENGERS. Everyone should check this out because not only is it bad, it's so entertainingly bad it makes Avengers Assemble even worse by comparison.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wanderer posted:

Man, you know Carol Danvers has about 200 hours on Mass Effect 2 and some strong opinions about the ending.

She's a big enough dork to do that. Though do you mean 3? 2 had a pretty solid ending for being the middle of a trilogy.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I noticed that the Avengers Thread OP is missing info on the greatest Avengers property, which is of course MARVEL DISK WARS: THE AVENGERS. Everyone should check this out because not only is it bad, it's so entertainingly bad it makes Avengers Assemble even worse by comparison.

I am still curious on why there is only one female character. There's lots of girls for Japan to be super creepy over.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Because unlike the internet's view of it not all anime is aimed at pedophiles and sexual deviants.

Some of it is for actual children.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I am still curious on why there is only one female character. There's lots of girls for Japan to be super creepy over.

I'm sure the main point of the show is selling toys to 5 year old boys. And toy companies are convinced that boys won't buy female action figures.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr. Maltose posted:

Because unlike the internet's view of it not all anime is aimed at pedophiles and sexual deviants.

Some of it is for actual children.

Just everything anime fans talk about is for pedophiles and sexual deviants.

And I'm joking about the second part, but I do find it weird that Wasp is the female hero of choice. You'd think Black Widow would be the one they chose. Though maybe because in Japan wasps are the size of birds and don't gently caress around, so she's actually the most bad rear end hero.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

twistedmentat posted:

Just everything anime fans talk about is for pedophiles and sexual deviants.

And I'm joking about the second part, but I do find it weird that Wasp is the female hero of choice. You'd think Black Widow would be the one they chose. Though maybe because in Japan wasps are the size of birds and don't gently caress around, so she's actually the most bad rear end hero.

Wasp is easy to write as being waifish and demure and kind of ineffectual. Even her shrinking power makes her easier to infantilize, which means that Japan is all over that poo poo.

What I'm saying is that Japan is awful.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Defiance Industries posted:

Wasp is easy to write as being waifish and demure and kind of ineffectual. Even her shrinking power makes her easier to infantilize, which means that Japan is all over that poo poo.

What I'm saying is that Japan is awful.

Hey cool, you've marginalized an entire country based on a lowest-common denominator tv show. Nice work :)

Maybe next you can connect the dots that demonstrate America's superiority by way of Power Rangers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Power Rangers is also from Japan :cmon:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kaleidoscope posted:

Hey cool, you've marginalized an entire country based on a lowest-common denominator tv show. Nice work :)

Maybe next you can connect the dots that demonstrate America's superiority by way of Power Rangers.

:goonsay: ahem its called Super Sentai and its a japanese cultural export.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

zoux posted:

Power Rangers is also from Japan :cmon:

Yeah...uh...that was kinda the point...since Disk Wars is also a reappropriation and all...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kaleidoscope posted:

Yeah but it's a tiny country.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

twistedmentat posted:

Well, I always thought that FemShep and Carol had a lot in common. Pretty sure Captain Marvel would totally just left hook everyone if given the chance.

Aren't most comic book problems already solved with punches?

Lurdiak posted:

Femshep is a really weird and creepy nickname, that is all.

It's either Maleshep or Femshep to tell them apart. Otherwise they use the same animations and about 95% of the same dialog in the game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Trast posted:

Aren't most comic book problems already solved with punches?

Very true, but I'm pretty sure if Carol left hooked an annoying reporter, she'd end up killing her.

quote:

It's either Maleshep or Femshep to tell them apart. Otherwise they use the same animations and about 95% of the same dialog in the game.

Her romances are way less creepy feeling though.

I'm not joking when I say I'd love if the solo Captain marvel series pretty much turns into Marvel Mass Effect with a rag tag group of misfits running around saving the galaxy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

She's a big enough dork to do that. Though do you mean 3? 2 had a pretty solid ending for being the middle of a trilogy.

Yeah, I more or less meant 3.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm not joking when I say I'd love if the solo Captain marvel series pretty much turns into Marvel Mass Effect with a rag tag group of misfits running around saving the galaxy.

I kinda hope Rhodey ends up out in space with her at some point. Iron Patriot's not a bad book but I could stand to see more of Carol and Rhodey hanging out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, I more or less meant 3.

I kinda hope Rhodey ends up out in space with her at some point. Iron Patriot's not a bad book but I could stand to see more of Carol and Rhodey hanging out.

Carol, Rhodey, and Flash hanging out? Just sticking all the members of the armed forces in space?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Well, then you need Monica Rambeau, and Blue Marvel's a Korean War veteran, I think.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kaleidoscope posted:

Anime being all about creepy waifus isn't a one-off phenomenon confined to this terrible show. Hate to break it to you.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

Anime being all about creepy waifus isn't a one-off phenomenon confined to this terrible show. Hate to break it to you.

No, it sure isn't, and I'm not asking you to give half a poo poo about any kind of anime, but it still strikes me as a little hosed to call an entire country awful because of their lovely cartoons.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Kaleidoscope posted:

No, it sure isn't, and I'm not asking you to give half a poo poo about any kind of anime, but it still strikes me as a little hosed to call an entire country awful because of their lovely cartoons.

He made a joke on a comedy forum, chill the hell out.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Were I to seriously say "Japan is awful" I would also cite many other things about Japan which are lovely rather than just animes. Like their business culture or stratified gender roles for example.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 26, 2014

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

It was an stupidly uptight derail, living over here I'm sensitive to this weird uptick of casual nerd racism lately in games and comic cultures.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do you think Tony Stark goes to conventions dressed as lovely Iron Man and he takes pictures with every single Iron Man there?

Do you think he organizes a group shot and then as everyone gets ready he tells everyone to hold the gently caress up, and everyone's all "what the gently caress is the hold up," he's having the real suit come in for everyone to gather around?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
EMH ruled because it had great stories (Kree/Ms. Marvel, Secret Invasion, Michael Korvac, Heroes for Hire, Kang, Winter Soldier, Beta Ray Bill); the art style, while not always the best (though I have a weakness for Kirby Dots), was always strong and consistent; the characters were, generally, complex and fun to watch, like Stark being a egotistic dick but really just struggling with the pressure of leading the Avengers, Pym going from idealistic super-scientist to bitter, borderline crazy vigilante, Banner negotiating with the Hulk, Danvers just being awesome, etc. The only caveats were that the intro was dumb, the finale blew (well, I just hate large ensemble episodes in general, because it's mostly lasers and kickpunching with little to no dialogue), and van Dyne is the most annoying/useless character in existence. I miss it almost as bad as I miss JLU.

Assemble has it's strengths, though I don't know if they justify replacing EMH. The character art, while less unique (though I like it more) because they're clearly trying to invoke the MCU, isn't shabby at all; the voice acting is arguably better in many respects; the banter can be pretty funny at times, and when it doesn't fall flat, is actually stronger than some of the best stuff to come out of EMH, but more on this later; it doesn't slouch on referencing the Marvel canon at large, and the adaptations/adjustments it makes are reasonable and remain faithful to the source, and has even produced some great episodes on its own ("Planet Doom", which featured the Defenders, and "Hulk's Day Out"); the rogue's gallery is stronger, with Skull and the Cabal being more sinister and feeling more natural than Zemo and the Masters of Evil. The problems, aside from the backgrounds looking canned as gently caress, are sort of a matter of opinion: the characters are less characters than archetypes, which is why I'm pretty sure Bruce Banner hasn't even been referenced once the entire show--this ties into how the level of humor, and actual general intelligence/complexity has been dragged down and beaten into the ground (haha, Stark is egotistic, haha, Thor has problems with Earth customs, haha, Hulk has a collection of glass dolls, haha, Falcon is a manchild, etc.) In fact, if there is one overarching problem with the show, it's that it's basically Teen Titans with a weaker art direction and the adults are the children, and while it's still not even finished with its first season, it lacks the character development and drama to boot. It's definitely worth giving a shot, because it has the potential to become a very strong show in its own right, in spite of the fact it's obviously a vehicle for tie-ins to the MCU (for example, the Guardians of the Galaxy episode, which was actually pretty clever when it wasn't 90% incredibly contrived in-fighting between the Guardians and the Avengers), as well as the other members of Disney's Marvel bloc that share a continuity with the show (your mileage may very with Ultimate Spider-Man, but just know that Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. is as toxic as actual gamma radiation: the audience stand-in as well as font of exposition is Seth Green, and :frogsiren: Eliza Dushku :frogsiren: is She-Hulk and that's all you really need to know).

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Were I to seriously say "Japan is awful" I would also cite many other things about Japan which are lovely rather than just animes. Like their business culture or stratified gender roles for example.

I'm not sure pointing out that there's a huge otaku/pedo audience out there that anime caters to (instead of the more appropriate "die in a trailer fire") is a racism issue. Comics in general have the same issue, so I'm not sure why pointing out that we should excise the cancer in the community (there's a pretty big crossover from what I've seen) is a bad thing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Taking about actually comics and not weird persecution complexes about Japan or nerds I read some of Ales Kot & Michael Walsh's Secret Avengers and it was actually not terrible, kind of fun actually. It tries too hard to make Coulson, NuFury and Agents of SHIELD stuff happen but when it's not doing that it's a light Hawkguy-esque book of Widow, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, Hill and Modok doing thangs and fighting AIM.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What's the story of MODOK joining the Secret Avengers?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Schneider Heim posted:

MODOK was ousted as leader of A.I.M so he's teaming up with Maria Hill in a mutual benefits sort of way to take down the current leader. She want's to use him to make weapons for SHIELD and try to destory A.I.M while MODOK wants to put himself back as rightful ruler once Andrew Forson is dealt with.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I do find it weird that Wasp is the female hero of choice. You'd think Black Widow would be the one they chose. Though maybe because in Japan wasps are the size of birds and don't gently caress around, so she's actually the most bad rear end hero.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

First Bass posted:

[...] van Dyne is the most annoying/useless character in existence.

You and me are gonna have issues, pal

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Schneider Heim posted:

In the previous Secret Avengers run he wandered into a Helicarrier with champagne and basically yelled DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY and started using PUA moves on Maria Hill.

I have a lot less patient for the Spencer/Kot axis than Waterhaul I guess, but Secret Avengers is less awful than Iron Patriot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waterhaul posted:

MODOK was ousted as leader of A.I.M so he's teaming up with Maria Hill in a mutual benefits sort of way to take down the current leader. She want's to use him to make weapons for SHIELD and try to destory A.I.M while MODOK wants to put himself back as rightful ruler once Andrew Forson is dealt with.

He's also the best Avenger ever

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/24b932/were_the_creators_of_the_east_of_west_series_in/ch5gso4?context=3

Hickman's New/Avengers run is done in May 2015

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just in time to reboot the series for when the movie comes out!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Codependent Poster posted:

Just in time to reboot the series for when the movie comes out!

I think it's pretty safe to guess we'll have Vison, Wanda and Pietro on the team by June 2015

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

That's not surprising. In a recent interview he said that the third act of his run starts after Original Sin.

Read a bit of the IAMA and Hickman said that he'll be doing his own stuff full time after Avengers. So it seems as if Avengers may be his last Marvel work for now.

Thurm fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 30, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man that's a bummer. But with one year to go there's still a lot of story to tell so bring it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thurm posted:

So it seems as if Avengers may be his last Marvel work for now.
Maybe he feels like he has written enough "big 2" style stuff, is a bit low on ideas for past that and wants to gracefully recharge rather than just staying on to phone in a bunch of stories?

I can't imagine he won't do anymore Marvel work in his lifetime, so I'll tend towards the positive outlook.

• Locked thread