Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

Spider-man would be teaching Beyonder how to use the toilet not Cyclops.

Spider-man has to teach everyone to use the toilet it's his character hook. Also there is only one toilet on the ark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SirDan3k posted:

Spider-man has to teach everyone to use the toilet it's his character hook. Also there is only one toilet on the ark.

Goddamit Lockjaw

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

Also there is only one toilet on the ark.
RICHARRRRDDSSSSS

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SirDan3k posted:

Spiderman: Somebody didn't flush!

*Cyclops makes degeneration x gesture with his arms* cue canned laughter.

SirDan3k posted:

'Not Again!'

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ElNarez posted:

Kot co-wrote the final arc of Volume 2 with Spencer, in order to set up his volume. You don't really need to read it, just start at #1.

This reminded me that I met Kot's parents on FCBD. Apparently I went to high school with him and graduated the year before he did. Later the depressing truth dawned on me that he's writing for Marvel while I was just some rear end in a top hat in a Batman costume. No funny stories about selling him pot in high school or anything. Thought I hung out with all the comic nerds back then.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
If it makes you feel better think about how many writers fade back into obscurity falling back into their day jobs after brief forays into whatever fame you get as a comic book writer. What's Sean McKeaver do now?

Edit: I guess that's a step up from English teacher, no offense Benito.

Shawn fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 9, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Shawn posted:

If it makes you feel better think about how many writers fade back into obscurity falling back into their day jobs after brief forays into whatever fame you get as a comic book writer. What's Sean McKeaver do now?

Working for Bioware, writing for SWTOR, apparently.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Shawn posted:

Edit: I guess that's a step up from English teacher, no offense Benito.

Apparently I misheard ( my friend was doing the talking ), and it's actually Alex Konat from Aspen Comics.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Blue Marvel chewing out Reed and T'Challa for being utter retards was a pretty good ending for Mighty Avengers. Kinda wish Monica had zapped Reed there, though.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It was dumb, "we could have something something feel good platitudes TOGETHER" Blue Marvel is an anchor around the series with his golden age Superman bullshit like every other Superman analogue I look forward to him running around on a farm with lots of room with the Sentry and that one superskrull raised in Kansas and a dozen Hyperions.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah man, the heroic values that have solved every single other galaxy and multiverse threatening problem wouldn't have solved this one, so it's dumb to even try.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's dumb to point at a lampshade screaming LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!

It's up there with "Well the Avengers never showed up to save the X-Men!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

It's dumb to point at a lampshade screaming LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!

It's up there with "Well the Avengers never showed up to save the X-Men!"

Not if the entire conceit of Hickman's work is that the Illuminati were wrong and their entire methodology was crap from the start. Which I'm pretty sure it is.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SirDan3k posted:

It was dumb, "we could have something something feel good platitudes TOGETHER" Blue Marvel is an anchor around the series with his golden age Superman bullshit like every other Superman analogue I look forward to him running around on a farm with lots of room with the Sentry and that one superskrull raised in Kansas and a dozen Hyperions.

Hey, he admits that it might have been no more successful than the Illuminati's own efforts. But it's preferably to the secret club of elitist pricks who ultimately failed miserably.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
At least, Mighty Avengers had two things going for it : Steve making the best short explanation of Incursions I've seen and that Peter Corbeau cameo.
Steve was more useful here than in any Hickman book since Infinity ended.

Blue Marvel's speech was grating though. The guy infers that asking for everyone's opinion would lead to more moral positions when there's really no correlation between a moral stand and a popular one. There's a reason the UN Security Council accepted using the Cabal.

PelvicNerve fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 14, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PelvicNerve posted:

There's a reason the UN Security Council accepted using the Cabal.

Because they're a government agency in a comic book, thus always wrong about everything?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey, he admits that it might have been no more successful than the Illuminati's own efforts. But it's preferably to the secret club of elitist pricks who ultimately failed miserably.

You do realize that Doom had his own secret club of elitist pricks that saved the universe, right? The good guys will probably be responsible for putting it back together, but Doom and to a lesser degree the Illuminati and even Cabal are responsible for letting everyone have enough time to do that. (Doom wouldn't have had enough time to get Molecule Man if 616 died in the first couple incursions, alternatively doom wouldn't have gone back at all and there would never have been incursions, just all universes suddenly ending simultaneously with no forewarning).

The illuminati did things wrong, but the people who would rather let the universes collide than destroy other earths weren't any more right. The whole thing is essentially an attempt to make a situation where there's no easy way out where everybody is saved without some sacrifice, which means there wasn't any solution everyone ~working together~ would have found.

Superhero morality is good and all but this is just a situation where it just doesn't apply.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah yes, what classic literature describes as a Kobayashi Maru scenario.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
When will Doom be getting his commendation for original thinking?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

PelvicNerve posted:

Blue Marvel's speech was grating though. The guy infers that asking for everyone's opinion would lead to more moral positions when there's really no correlation between a moral stand and a popular one. There's a reason the UN Security Council accepted using the Cabal.

He wasn't even saying it would lead to more moral positions (it was inferred but whatever). Just that it would lead to more positions, period. 6 guys deciding they know best about the fate of the multiverse is hosed up. Even if they wanted to keep it under wraps, the Marvel universe has so many super-scientists that you could fill the Baxter Building with PhDs but they kept it to 6 dudes. Telling T'Challa and Reed they hosed up was fan-loving-tastic and even better was Monica's telling Reed that he doesn't hold a monopoly on crises (that's Daredevil's job :rimshot:).

VVV: He's mocking the concept of a Kobayashi Maru being "classic literature" but Poe's Law I guess.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 14, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Ah yes, what classic literature describes as a Kobayashi Maru scenario.

You mean where the super-amazing main character pulled a magical solution out of his rear end that solved all the problems without any consequences because he's the hero? At least what happened with the incursions was just a slightly less total defeat instead of a magical turnaround that fixed everything. (which would have felt like a cop out after all that buildup)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

You mean where the super-amazing main character pulled a magical solution out of his rear end that solved all the problems without any consequences because he's the hero?

You didn't actually see that movie, did you?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TwoPair posted:

VVV: He's mocking the concept of a Kobayashi Maru being "classic literature" but Poe's Law I guess.

I'm surprised anyone bit at all to be honest.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah I got the whole classic literature thing being a joke, I was just comparing the two situations as I understood them for the hell of it, since in that case they just dodged the whole issue with a solution when the whole point was there not to be one.

Lurdiak posted:

You didn't actually see that movie, did you?

No, I've just heard about it as a no-win situation where the main character just cheats so he avoids the whole dilemma altogether, and is the only person smart enough in the history of ever to do so.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 14, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

No, I've just heard about it as a no-win situation where the main character just cheats so he avoids the whole dilemma altogether, and is the only person smart enough in the history of ever to do so.

This is to set up that the character has never faced a situation where there's no perfect solution, and then later in the movie he has to face that situation and lose his best friend even though he did everything "right". The no-win scenario is real and he never really had to face it before, because he thought he was too smart for that.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

This is to set up that the character has never faced a situation where there's no perfect solution, and then later in the movie he has to face that situation and lose his best friend even though he did everything "right". The no-win scenario is real and he never really had to face it before, because he thought he was too smart for that.

Well, then that shows me - I'd only heard of it outside of the context of the whole movie.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Within the context of the Avengerss and previous schisms within the Marvel Universe it makes sense not to tell people.

Galactic Storm ended badly when the team fractured into two groups: one willing to kill the Kree Supreme Intelligence that had been trying time and time again to kill them and send a messge to the entire galaxy "don't gently caress with Earth." While the other group felt that killing is wrong and having defeated the plans of the Supreme Intelligence once again they should just leave. In this instance it lead to some infighting but not as much as...

Civil War where an issue that caused a schism amongst the different opinions of heroes was made public to all of them, although initially it was kept quiet as Stark felt like they should get in front of it on their individual ends before it became public. However once the issue was made public it ended up in a war over heroes over who was right and in the end a couple heroes died and nothing good came out of it.

So when the incursions come up, it makes a lot of sense why you wouldn't want to bring too many people in on it because it hinders your ability to actually make a decision; and when that decision is saving the universe you should probably make one and stand by it. Blue Marvel's speech to Reed struck me more as "I can't believe I didn't get an invite." rather than "Maybe Luke Cage could have figured out how to save the day when 5 of the smartest people in the MU couldn't."

At best you would have ended up with a situation where when the first incursion happened, we repeated Galactic Storm where the two groups go their separate ways; and at worst we would have ended up with Civil War where the two groups fought to the death over who was right in a situation where the earth might not even have ended up being saved.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lurdiak is right about the point Hickman is trying to make in Avengers. The series is specifically about the Hubris of the illumanti, Doom, and super scientists generally (the "smartest guys in the room" let's say).

There's a reason why Cap is life and Tony is death. It's illustrated in the arc of the Builder War, which otherwise serves no narrative purpose. Cap's team specifically overcomes incredible odds, to punch above their weight and save the world.

There's no reason to suggest Cap wouldn't be able lead people to a solution to the incursion problem, EXCEPT for what the illuminati/Doom tell us. Cap is pushed out of the group because the illuminati "know better" not because they tried his way and it didn't work.

The idea that the "smart guys" failed so people like Cap and Luke Cage would've only had worthless contributions is the idea Hickman is trying pry aprt, not have people buy into.

The other alternative is that "everything dies" which is inevitable, so just roll with it. There's an argument for that as well, but I certainly don't see an argument for the idea that the illuminati were right.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PaybackJack posted:

So when the incursions come up, it makes a lot of sense why you wouldn't want to bring too many people in on it because it hinders your ability to actually make a decision; and when that decision is saving the universe you should probably make one and stand by it. Blue Marvel's speech to Reed struck me more as "I can't believe I didn't get an invite." rather than "Maybe Luke Cage could have figured out how to save the day when 5 of the smartest people in the MU couldn't."

At best you would have ended up with a situation where when the first incursion happened, we repeated Galactic Storm where the two groups go their separate ways; and at worst we would have ended up with Civil War where the two groups fought to the death over who was right in a situation where the earth might not even have ended up being saved.

Except Blue Marvel said that they excluded 7 billion people from the decision making process. Not that he, personally, didn't get called in.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Except Blue Marvel said that they excluded 7 billion people from the decision making process. Not that he, personally, didn't get called in.

I felt like he was complaining that they didn't invite everyone to the dance, but he probably wouldn't be complaining if they'd invited him and not the other 7 billion people. He happened to be in the group that got excluded and was arguing that everyone should have been included, but really as guy with a somewhat unique powerset that they could have played around with as a solution, and as another big brain scientist his ego was probably a little sore he didn't get invited while Cho and Pym did. He's a smart enough guy to see that given the choice the people of earth probably would have just gone with the Cabal option anyway.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
People did go with the Cabal's option, Terrax went before the UN and told the world what was going on and to leave it in the hands of the Cabal. We didn't see much of what followed play out but all the world's governments seemed to sign up to the Cabal's plan.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PaybackJack posted:

I felt like he was complaining that they didn't invite everyone to the dance, but he probably wouldn't be complaining if they'd invited him and not the other 7 billion people. He happened to be in the group that got excluded and was arguing that everyone should have been included, but really as guy with a somewhat unique powerset that they could have played around with as a solution, and as another big brain scientist his ego was probably a little sore he didn't get invited while Cho and Pym did. He's a smart enough guy to see that given the choice the people of earth probably would have just gone with the Cabal option anyway.
Or he could have genuinely felt that maybe letting everyone's voices be heard on this was better than 'five guys are going to decide how to save the world because gently caress you plebs'? Hell those assholes were literally going to let the world die and not tell anyone at one point?

It is possible Blue Marvel was actually sincere with his views, you know.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The writer failed to make him sound earnest, the writer failed to make him sound like anything but the writer being pissy they weren't the one running the shake up.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Has Blue Marvel even made a recent appearance outside of that one book? Like, has anyone seen him in the background of Infinity or Secret Wars or anything?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's on Earth during Infinity, with the Mighty Avengers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hyperion is great but I'd have liked Hickman to have used Blue Marvel too. I hope eventually he gets some prominence.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Hyperion was okay because he was clearly on a timer, Blue Marvel seems like something they want to make stick and like every other Marvel attempt at Superman but with a twist! he is glaringly out of place. He had to spend chunks Mighty Avengers being conveniently somewhere else because of his power level and I just can't see the appeal people claim he has shown in the book.

Here's a good idea and cutting commentary about racism, let me just bury it under a shitload of Marvel has Finally got it's own Superman! bullshit.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 23, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I hope Ewing takes Hyperion onto his team post Secret Wars because that one shot he wrote for Hyperion was one of my favorite single issues of last year. I love his take on the character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I hope Ewing takes Hyperion onto his team post Secret Wars because that one shot he wrote for Hyperion was one of my favorite single issues of last year. I love his take on the character.

Is that the one where he saves the kidnapped kid?

Also I don't know poo poo about Blue Marvel but if he's just Superman I hope he goes away because Superman is one of the biggest problems with DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Deadpool posted:

I don't think there's going to be 2 "not Superman's" on Mighty Avengers.

• Locked thread