Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Am i just so out of touch I don't know of classic Avengers villain MECH TACO before watching that? What issues should I pick up to remedy this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Oh my god. This issue actually gave me goosebumps. I mean, you know the world's not gonna end, cause this isn't some Remender None Of This Is Gonna Count poo poo, but the countdown was still pretty harrowing, and then when they realize what actually happened... pure brilliance. The kind of ending that makes you go OH poo poo out loud and everything.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Hollismason posted:

There needs to be a Namor was right t-shirt.

I've had "Namor was right" spelled out with magnets on my fridge since last issue. I would totally buy a Namor/Cyclops/Magneto Was Right t-shirt collection.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I find it hard to take a side in A/NA because it's really a no-win situation. You destroy a litany of inhabited worlds to save your own world, your universe, and the universe of the world you had to destroy. We're talking killing billions to save squintrillions. It's been established that "cheating the system" ie: phasing your Earth out of the path of the other or evacuating Earth and blowing it up (the latter being impossible in the sense that it immediately takes us to This Will Be Retconned Later territory, aka "Nobody cares about your dumb fake future" Syndrome) locks you out of the game and you gotta hope that some alternate-yourselves group solves this one. And since this is the One True MU, well, that would be super-unsatisfying.

Cap's "There's GOT to be a better way!" ideal only leads to two options on a strict timeline- let's say he's got a We Shall Allow No More Worlds To Die philosophy which I think he does, and then the little alert comes up saying "you have seven hours until incursion". This problem can't be solved in seven hours, so your two options are 1)Kill another world and keep thinkin' real hard how to stop all of this, and 2)"Cheat the system", end the storyline, cleanse the multiverse, and have this come bite us in the rear end again later. This prevents you from saving everyone in those universes that's gonna die because you chose the less active role. You indirectly killed glorblillions because you couldn't kill billions directly. You're a hero. edit: I sort of conflated my own thoughts here: under Cap's hardline philosophy you either save your world and indirectly kill fuckloads (point 2) or you let your Earth die for the greater good. Not gonna happen for obvious reasons. The "Oh no, an incursion: What can we do with our current resources and knowledge?" options are the ones I previously listed.

What's the third option? Captain America sits down and shuts the hell up, the Illuminati dedicate themselves to figuring out why the incursions are happening thereby figuring out how to stop them and save yottaglillions of sentient lives in a fuckton of universes, and the Cabal annihilate as many earths as are needed until the Illuminati save the day. YES, the Illuminati should bring more mega-geniuses in on this, and it remains to be seen if they will, and NO, you can't let the earth-at-large know, because this is an honest-to-all-the-Gods Nothing Could Ever Be The Same If People Knew What Was Happening And What We Had To Do situation.

So why the time-jump? Because we're on a schedule and we don't have time to tell the story of the Illuminati's "from now til Eureka!" time, the Avengers' "catching up with the massive changes the other comics are making and also it doesn't matter whether we're morally right or wrong anyway because punching out the Illuminati will not lead to a satisfactory ending, as much as we'd love to bring you Civil War part 2" story, or the Cabal's "Iiiii've been blowing up inhabited Earths, all the live-long daaaay" funtime adventures. Now's the part where we come together, save literally Everyone, then act like the real heroes are the bad guys for getting their hands dirty.

TL;DR: Nothing Cap can do matters. That's my opinion/guess as to why we're jumping ahead to the part where the non-Hypergenius Avengers are useful again.

edit: COMPLETELY DIFFERENT POINT:
If Hickman didn't want to deal with Remender's "Cap Is Old Now" developments, he could easily have used "The Time Gem Did It" fuckery to bring the Cap of the current issue from the furthest possible future to 8 months from now. He could literally have Old Cap sit in command HQ and shout patriotic slogans while Still Vital Cap punches Rabum Alul in the space-gonads. So if he's not doing this, it means that Old Cap was something he already knew about and was ready to write around. Don't know how he could fix the Thor sitch, though.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 28, 2014

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

bobkatt013 posted:

The covers for the time jump showed old man cap and how we knew that Falcon was the new Cap. Also this all happened during or right before Thor lost his hammer.

I know, that's what I mean. It was in reference to someone wondering if other storylines (presumably they were talking about Cap and Thor) possibly interfered with Hickman's Grand Plan. I said he could easily have written around Cap if he wanted to, but I don't know how he coulda ignored the Thor development from Original Sin, because the timeline goes Avengers up til now >OS and 8 months>Avengers in the near future, since he can't say "Thor lost his hammer and got it back" because they want the new Thor status quo to last presumably more than 8 months.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, I actually really like Uncanny (after it got past that dire "heroes bicker every issue" initial couple of issues), but it does have that feeling. Like, when the Earth blew up, everyone knew it would be undone and we were just gonna have a fun fake alternate timeline story. But then now we're back in the "prime" timeline, and while I can buy that maybe Havok will stay disfigured (for a while) or that Sunfire is stuck as a being of pure cosmic energy (because who else is using him), is anyone really thinking that Rouge is gonna stay nuts with a ghost Wonder Man in her head? I mean c'mon.

There's just too much of a feeling that the whole series will end with Uatu some other Watcher walking in from stage right to say "That was an interesting tale of Earth-617, wasn't it?"

My thoughts exactly. UA shoulda just have been called "Age of Avengers" or "Age of Unity". I actually liked the fake future stuff for what it was, because it removed the headache of reconciling this out-there title with the goings on of the main universe. For me, it's I get the feeling that every arc is the last one because trying to jive with the Avengers books AND the X-Books without going the Alternate Universe route is a massive undertaking.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Bell_ posted:

What if Rabum Alul is not a being but a philosophy?

I really hope Rabum Alul isn't something that can be punched in the space-nuts.

Also if someone wants to edit that preview with Gob Bluth saying "I've made a huge mistake" that would be, well, just peachy.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I love a good (short) time jump. Nothing like a good "ooo! How did things get this hosed?" to kick your day off. Love the additions to the Illuminati and can not wait for the next issue.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

TwoPair posted:

So is this whole issue supposed to be stuff that will definitely for sure happen? Because honestly I couldn't help shake the vibe that a lot of people complain about with Uncanny Avengers, that being "None of this matters, Smasher and Cannonball aren't actually gonna have a baby and move to space, the Avengers won't actually get boring white costumes, etc."

Oh well, I guess it shouldn't bother me, I'm one of the people who actually likes Uncanny Avengers.

Pretty sure I read that the other books are all going to "catch up" to A/NA eventually. Which of course isn't hard at all: the remainder of A/NA could be two weeks in MU time and other series skip months all the time without explicitly stating it, just to align with what other books are doing.

Plus, we already know how the new Iron Man series starts out, and it's with Tony not being on anyone's good side because of what happened in Avengers (or Axis, I guess. But I suppose all of Axis takes place during this 8 month gap).

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Vitamin P posted:

Is anyone else reading most of this whole epic and not really understanding it all but still enthralled?

Me, completely. Gonna give the whole thing a reread once it's over and I can dedicate like three days to it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
The only title of his that I haven't gotten bored with and dropped is Deadly Class. For me, he ran his X-Goodwill into the ground with Uncanny Avengers. But maybe he could recapture some of that UXF magic if they gave him UXM. Everyone's ready for something a little different than The World's Slowest Storyteller.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Keep raising that loving bar, Hickman, you beautiful bastard. Where's the "blinking back a tear while reading a goddamn comic book; this is my life I guess" smilie?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

SirDan3k posted:

I think everything going white in the explosion was about as much indication as they needed after Hyperion's team proved the Beyonders "mortal" in the narative.

FWIW I interpreted the "no" as "it didn't work, the bomb went off and didn't kill any Beyonders because of power levels or some poo poo" but I guess we'll have to wait and see. At least, I assume we will.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Has Blue Marvel even made a recent appearance outside of that one book? Like, has anyone seen him in the background of Infinity or Secret Wars or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Endless Mike posted:

Wow. Wrong.

Unless you mean Henry Rollins, Ridin' a Hog Superman, in which case you are right.

I've literally never been interested in Superman (or the DCU, so my opinion is for nothing) but I would read a series about Henry Rollins ridin' a hog.

• Locked thread