Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Beanpants posted:

The current status of Wolverine is like that as well. In his own book he's been without his healing factor for months and months, done a heel turn into working for a villain, and cut ties to his former heroic life. There has been approximately zero hint of this in any of the other titles, and probably will remain that way until the Death of Wolverine mini hits.
It was referenced in Uncanny X-Men when he and Cyclops both ended up in that sentinel thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Starsnostars posted:

I like how in The Great Society's world the sphinx has an Apocolypse head. I want to know more about their stupid fake world!
Yeah, I came here to mention this. That was a cool touch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

The Hulk would just get so angry that he could punch against empty space.
Sounds like a good way to alter reality.

SirDan3k posted:

That doesn't work with Hulk, Hulk can propel himself through space by being mad. I poo poo you not that has happened. Thrown into space on a trajectory so he wouldn't hit anything, got mad enough to turn the gently caress around. Hulk isn't strong, Hulk warps reality wielding the power of being pissed.
And there you go.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AV Club has a preview of the next issue of Avengers, with a guest star Hickman is very familiar with.

http://www.avclub.com/article/exclusive-marvel-preview-travel-5045-years-marvels-206532

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

Bendis is coming back for round 3

I'm okay with this if it gets him off X-Men.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Hey cool, Kick-rear end is joining the Avengers.

Also apparently 9/11 no longer happened in the Marvel universe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

That was Waid, this is Hickman.
Hickman won't be writing Doom forever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gatts posted:

If its an immature Galactus...maybe it's his teen daughter that Adam Warren wrote about. Ha!

Also are there multiple Franklins? Wasn't it mentioned there is only one of him?
If that was mentioned, it was making GBS threads on decades of previous stories showing alternate Franklins including stories in F4.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I kinda feel like Infinity shouldn't really have been marketed as a standalone event, because it absolutely was not. More accurately, they should have just added extra issues of Avengers and NA to the shipping schedule and had the whole thing numbered in a banner or something. Avengers and NA are vital to following Infinity and Infinity is vital to understanding the Avengers and NA issues. If other creators wanted to tie in on their books, then they would still be free to do so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

No I get all that. I just remember how, around the time that Infinity came out, people were wondering what it would be like to try and follow the story in Infinity without reading Avengers or New Avengers.

My friend did this and said he had no idea what was going on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I find it weird that Marvel is putting out both .1 issues and Annuals despite them often fitting the same one-off story by a different writer niche.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madrox posted:

Say hello to the 90s!

This is just too sweet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Guys Franklin Richards has been the same age for like 30 years. I just can't enjoy comics because of this.

That is not true. He was clearly aged to adulthood and became Psi-Lord in the 90s complete with badass battle armor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please be sure to refer to Marvel's upcoming event by its proper name SIXIS. Thank you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

I should point out, that I'm the guy who attempted to argue that the Illumanti should stand trial in New Avengers. But even I had no problem with Magneto murdering the Red Skull.
The Illuminati would really prefer it if you spelled their name right.

If you don't, they might blow you up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AXIS: No, guys, not it's NOT called SIXIS.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the CEO of a major corporation not paying taxes was the most realistic part of that issue. He probably doesn't even need highly-paid accountants to loophole himself out of them!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Starsnostars posted:

The New Avengers #30 cover looks so cool but I almost don't want to know what bad stuff happened to all those Captain Britains. :ohdear:

Also, poor Spider-Britain!

Oh hey it's Hauptmann Englande!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Actually, I think my favorite part of that is that alternate/What If? Spider-Men always eat it, so they kept that theme going. I hope he shows up in the issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

It's not?

WELL I'M FULL OF poo poo THEN
It's Thor with the power of Thorr.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

Nuts.

d00gZ has pretty much abandoned the Shipping Thread For the Foreseeable Future, which was my primary What's Out, and I had a feeling that title was out of date.

Conveniently, there's still "Weekly Shipping Thread" to keep you up to date on a week to week basis!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kev Walker's art is usually on point, so I'm wondering if the inker didn't add some lines it really didn't need. Hawkeye, in particular, looks like either got really old or got a really nasty scar on his face which hasn't been shown elsewhere.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edit: Ignore me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Haha, that picture of all the Iron Men from the first issue of Avengers is some great Secret Wars foreshadowing. Well played Hickman.

Wasn't it foreshadowing Cap confronting Tony?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Ivory Kings/Beyonders are attacking all the major universal forces across all the multiverse all at once.

Also there's a dinosaur universe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Has Sentry/the Void been brought up *at all* in this run? If not, I wouldn't put my money on him. Hickman's reveals are rarely out of nowhere.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Ms. Marvel is (apparently) a big seller digitally, but it's a solid mid-tier title in single printed issues as well.

Apparently it didn't have an issue shipped last month, but in December it was selling over 30,000 copies which is well above the modern cancellation line and outsold a big portion of Marvel's output including Hulk, Punisher, Captain Marvel, and Fantastic Four.

For a new-ish character who is both female and non-white, even in traditional venues, Ms. Marvel is a remarkable success. Assuming its non-traditional sales are gangbusters and well above its (narrowly) better selling contemporaries like Daredevil, it's REALLY successful. But even in a world without digital or Amazon trades, Ms. Marvel is doing well.

There was a quote in the chat thread saying its combined print and digital sales are higher than Uncanny X-Men's, which means even if Uncanny were selling exactly zero digital copies (obviously not the case), Ms. Marvel would be selling an additional 23,000 copies in digital.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fuuuuuuuuck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess if the artist is confirming it's old Steve, my immediate thought that it's Ultimate Steve doesn't really work out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ultimate Steve died punching Galactus in the face with a jet. I hope he's still dead.

Oh right, I forgot about that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nextwave doesn't even approach the most self-indulgent Ellis work, and I say this as someone who doesn't really love Ellis and isn't too high on Nextwave.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Half this issue belongs in the Badass Moments thread holy poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't need a mapmaker when there's nothing left to make a map of.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

No, Loeb's arc was good. It laid all the groundwork, introducing a solid cast of characters, and felt like a good sci-fi take on the teen hero formula. It felt like a very deliberate pitch to carry the character through various media. Also, the Nova series has a good blend of space and Earthbound action. Everyone has their preferences, but I think they've done a commendable job.

Can't wait until he fights :negative:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The art's mostly fine. It's not great, but it's fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, anyone worried about any of the half dozen Chekov's Guns not getting fired will be happy with this issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vorik posted:

Does anyone have any info/guess on how long this Hickman run is going to be? I left off around the part where they go into the far future and they eventually meet Franklin Richards or something. Stopped there because I wanted to wait until it was all done before I picked it up again.
Avengers/New Avengers have one or two issues each left, then it turns into Secret Wars which is 8 issues, then it's done.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, that's pretty much it. If it was on a DC book, we would be calling it their dull house style (and DT would be saying it's great), but that's about the worst I can say. It's nowhere near horrible IMO.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Shang Chi was hella benched for a while due to being a borderline racist anachronism, but Ellis and Hickman have brought him back with a vengeance.
He still popped up here and there. I think most of his benching was because they can't use his father, which was pretty much his entire defining characteristic when he was created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wizard was definitely reporting on AoA before it hit and I feel like everyone either read Wizard or knew someone who did if they were into comics. I'm also fairly sure the comics themselves started talking about it at least a month or so beforehand. Generation X #4 definitely has a bit with Jubilee reading the "next month" blurb (which would be fore Generation Next #1) and commenting on how it sounds bad.

• Locked thread