Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Gymer posted:

Has anybody else been reading Avengers World because personally as of issue 6 the invincible A.I.M.pire is getting pretty grating.

I'm reading it. I'm liking the focus on the less iconic characters so far. Smasher is a lot of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Any idea who the blonde female character immediately to Falcap's left is?

A new Sentry maybe?

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

Anyone read Avengers World? How many future version of the the Marvel Universe or the Avengers are there?

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Namor attacked Wakanda under the influence of the Phoenix after they injured some X-Men when the Avengers kidnapped Hope. Then the Wakandans massacred the Atlanteans in retaliation. Then Namor sent the Black Order to Wakanda in revenge.

I'm getting two things about of the latest NA issue (I just finally read the last two issues after cleaning out my file, and HOLY CRAP!). First, Namor is acting like a leader of his people and doing what it takes to save them. Atlantis was driven under water, pushed around and nearly destroyed by humans, Wakanda, Deviants, Inhumans, what have you. When it comes down to it, Namor has done everything he can to save his people, including straight up murdering people, pre-emptive strikes, everything in the book. Pointing a giant gun at another planet and blowing it up isn't an act of a villain, nor of a hero. It's the act of a leader of people. If you're Harry Truman and the only way to stop a war is to drop a nuke or two on Japanese civilians, you'd think hard about the decision, but you'd drop the nukes because it saves your country and it prevents more deaths.

Second, Namor's admission in the latest issue is a lot like the second Christian Bale Batman movie. Batman says the city needs someone to hate, let it be him and save the white knight of Harvey Dent for the city to rally around. Humans already don't like Namor much, so Namor says, "so be it". I'm the one who blew up the Earth and saved everyone. I'm the bad guy. That leaves the rest of the "good guys" to figure out what to do next and stay good guys. If they need someone to pull the trigger again, then let Namor do it.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

I was pretty disappointed with the latest Avengers World. All these epic storylines just end at the same time. The Smasher one was pretty much "Remember who you are!" I guess they needed to clear things up for the Axis cross-over...

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

Anyone reading the new Might Avengers? Issue #1 is pretty cool. I have no idea what's going on in Axis though...

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

Anyone down on out of touch, morally questionable SHIELD Cap, check out Nova #25. Cap makes Nova a provisional Avenger, it's a pretty touching and nice book.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

FF was never a big seller. Like ever.

FF was red hot in the 80s when John Byrne was writing and drawing it.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

I'm reminded of the awesome cosmic issues of Quasar (RIP Mark Gruenwald). Quasar was taken on a bit of a tour of the outer cosmic realms of the Marvel Universe with the help of the Contemplator, and find that the abstract beings of the universe (that's your Living Tribunals, Death, Lord Chaos, Master Order, etc.) actually use avatar bodies when they have to interact physically with the greater universe. So, you could have Eternity in a bunch of different places at the same time doing interactions, but each not actually being the real Eternity, since Eternity is an abstract concept and can't actually be destroyed or touched or physically interacted with. This is to make it easier for people like Quasar or Hank Pym to understand what's happening. A bunch of cosmic entities interacting with each other would be too much for a mortal human being to take in, so there's an entity (clumsily called Anthropomorpho) that does this for mortals, making it look like cosmic entities are actually physically interacting with each other. Quasar actually did this himself too, acting as an avatar-agent of Infinity while Maelstrom (interestingly an Inhuman...) acting on behalf of Oblivion. This is also explained elsewhere too with Galactus appearing as the race he's interacting with, so when Galactus ate the Skrull homeworld, he looked like a skrull, not a human. I wonder if this will play into this Avengers arc.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

Soonmot posted:

I don't remember that at all? Is it something going on with this Black Vortex crossover that I'm skipping?

Richard Rider and the Nova Corps were just mentioned in the latest issue of Nova. Maybe they'll play a bigger role later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

The writer failed to make him sound earnest, the writer failed to make him sound like anything but the writer being pissy they weren't the one running the shake up.

Save for his portrayal throughout Mighty Avengers. The entire run of that series showed every hero on the team to be ultimately humanistic and working for the best of the people. In fact, that was the point of the last issue. Notice how many regular people are working as Avengers, and they are called part of the Mighty Avengers in the front of the book. They work out of a store front in New York that's freely accessed by anybody who needs their help. Blue Marvel might be a super-scientist who talked with The Watcher, but first and foremost, he's a Mighty Avenger. I totally think he was sincere, him and Spectrum.

• Locked thread