Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
And a market of healthcare and insurance providers has proven to drive those healthcare costs far higher than in countries where this is not the case. For both ethical and logistical reasons, a traditional market that neoliberals advocate for healthcare does not work. A healthy life should be a basic right afforded to everyone living in the United States. The profit motive in this market is fraught with perverse incentives and market signals do not function correctly when a product like healthcare is so vital and so expensive at the same time. If the entire healthcare sector isn't outright nationalized, a UHC system where the government is the either the sole buyer, or some other monopsony situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
You don't need to nationalize the entire health system to open medicare for all. Just enroll everyone in medicare, say "Our budget goal is ~$4000 per person per year", and negotiate prices and covered procedures until you hit that number. Obviously cuts will need to be made, but just start with expensive treatments and work your way down.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

on the left posted:

You don't need to nationalize the entire health system to open medicare for all. Just enroll everyone in medicare, say "Our budget goal is ~$4000 per person per year", and negotiate prices and covered procedures until you hit that number. Obviously cuts will need to be made, but just start with expensive treatments and work your way down.
I saw a handy dandy "how much the average household pays for X in taxes," and I saw the medicare entry was (for this household of about 50k in earnings) about $600. I imagine doubling that would be more than sufficient to pay for everyone, given that most people on Medicare now are old and sick and busted.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Nessus posted:

I saw a handy dandy "how much the average household pays for X in taxes," and I saw the medicare entry was (for this household of about 50k in earnings) about $600. I imagine doubling that would be more than sufficient to pay for everyone, given that most people on Medicare now are old and sick and busted.

In 2012, Medicare + Medicaid spending was about $1 trillion ($572bn + $421bn), which divided by 2012 population of 313 million is ~$3200. We already have the money and spend it on public health, we just need to spend it better. Ration care to those old, sick, and busted people so that the rest of society won't have to go into bankruptcy when they need their much less frequent/expensive care. Combine this with major cost reductions through negotiation and you are set.

Other countries show us that this is 100% possible to do.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

on the left posted:

Other countries show us that this is 100% possible to do.

American exceptionalism is so ingrained our society that everything is a 'special circumstance.' Nevermind the fact that other countries pay less for more.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Nessus posted:

You didn't really get rid of the overtones I was talking about.

There are two criticisms I have of this argument of yours.

The first is: Where, exactly, are you going to decide someone has a 'social disease' and is therefore implicitly unworthy of treatment? At what point does my unforeseen disease become something that was not due to a deficiency of bootstraps, but rather an honest accident? As an ancillary question, how are you defining "old age" - is there some point at which you just stop receiving medical care? What is that age threshold, how did you arrive at it, and is it subject to amendment in light of later improvements? I would also point out you are basically saying that someone who has a mental illness outside of a certain threshold needs to just deal with it, and society isn't interested in assisting them (which, in that case, is basically the current situation - but now you've made it explicit!)

The second is the question: Do you believe that the savings from cutting the former, would be applied to the latter? For that matter, do you think that they are mutually exclusive? The resources are there, just not the political will, at least in America.

First, I'm just going to share this chart from a famous study on the opinions of end-of-life care by physicians:

From here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2389.2003.51309.x/abstract

Second, I'm going to say that we implicitly medicalize all poor states of health in our society (Foucault talks about this for all you leftists), and that instead of imposing responsibility on patients or asking them to examine their values, we tell them we can fix them (or will at least try). Patients are treated like children instead of being responsible for their own health and health choices. Why? Because it's easier and because there are less complaints. Change your life? No, have a SSRI. Stop eating so much and start exercising? No, have some statins and insulin. Face your own mortality? No, try every treatment, no matter how effective.

You can debate whether or not this line of thinking is moral, but it is certainly not cost-effective. If we don't get the outcomes we want, and we spend tons of money on treatment, we are wasting money as society.

Third, no I can't say that savings from healthcare will be spent on something socially useful, but I can say that it might be. It's ridiculous to claim that we must spend money on socially useless endeavors because the alternative is too hard to consider.

Last, you ask about the brightline between diseases we should treat and diseases we shouldn't. This is not an easy question, and will require a societal discussion, and changes in cultural norms. But the reality is that we already have a brightline between spending money on healthcare and not spending other socially useful endeavors. We just never consciously made the choice.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Slobjob Zizek posted:

First, I'm just going to share this chart from a famous study on the opinions of end-of-life care by physicians:

From here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2389.2003.51309.x/abstract

Second, I'm going to say that we implicitly medicalize all poor states of health in our society (Foucault talks about this for all you leftists), and that instead of imposing responsibility on patients or asking them to examine their values, we tell them we can fix them (or will at least try). Patients are treated like children instead of being responsible for their own health and health choices. Why? Because it's easier and because there are less complaints. Change your life? No, have a SSRI. Stop eating so much and start exercising? No, have some statins and insulin. Face your own mortality? No, try every treatment, no matter how effective.
What a grotesque rhetorical point. Not every mental illness can be addressed by "changing your life," especially in the modern world where it is unfortunately necessary to do things like "engage in some manner of productive work, however limited." What the hell "changing your life" is a person with a severe mental illness supposed to do instead of receiving pharmaceutical treatment? Granting there are probably many cases where medication is unnecessary or overly used, is it somehow better if we replace medication with the "tough titties" treatment?

quote:

You can debate whether or not this line of thinking is moral, but it is certainly not cost-effective. If we don't get the outcomes we want, and we spend tons of money on treatment, we are wasting money as society.
You're conflating psychiatric treatment with seeking out exercise with end of life care. These are three very different things. You're also saying that "society" is wasting money on caring for these... these PEOPLE, who just can't DEAL... How is this not social Darwinism, merely with its target changed from the poor (explicitly) to the mentally ill and the sedentary/obese (who are merely OFTEN poor)? It is not that I object to your specific interventions, though I would say you are in turn projecting an artificial construction of your own - that being that these things are all things which can be handled if you'll just fix up your attitude, pull up your own bootstraps, and go run some laps/accept that you will die because nobody wants to pay for your chemotherapy.

quote:

Third, no I can't say that savings from healthcare will be spent on something socially useful, but I can say that it might be. It's ridiculous to claim that we must spend money on socially useless endeavors because the alternative is too hard to consider.
What if it is next determined that devotees of Foucault aren't "socially useful"? The alternative would be too hard to consider, after all.

quote:

Last, you ask about the brightline between diseases we should treat and diseases we shouldn't. This is not an easy question, and will require a societal discussion, and changes in cultural norms. But the reality is that we already have a brightline between spending money on healthcare and not spending other socially useful endeavors. We just never consciously made the choice.
Leaving aside mental illness and obesity, can you list a few diseases that should not be treated? Can you establish a criteria by which one becomes life unworthy of life, perhaps?

e: To editorialize a bit on that final graph, it seems to be reflecting being put in a persistent vegetative state by severe brain injury, like Terry Schaivo. You seem to be implicitly discussing the treatment of heart disease or cancer; could you perhaps post the graph where physicians were polled on what treatments they would like in the face of suffering a severe heart attack? Or was one not taken?

There would seem to me to be a major difference between "in the face of something I know to be essentially unsurvivable, I would pursue palliative care, and perhaps we should encourage that as an option as well" and "we should actually just stop giving medical treatment to those who are undeserving, based upon obscure metrics."

Nessus fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 13, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
haha all you depressed people you don't need pills! You just need to change your life, for the better, while feeling totally awful about yourself and possibly suicidal. Sage advice there Kimosabe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

rscott posted:

haha all you depressed people you don't need pills! You just need to change your life, for the better, while feeling totally awful about yourself and possibly suicidal. Sage advice there Kimosabe.
I seriously doubt the treatment of depression is bankrupting the nation, too. In fact I imagine DepressObamacare which provided subsidies for outpatient therapy and medication for even the poorest would probably pay for itself in improving the function of many members of society, to say nothing of the less tangible benefits.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
This was posted in the midterms thread:

De Nomolos posted:

I'll take the ACA over single payer if it means preventable diseases don't return. Basic scientific truth is a little more important than fighting over how left one can be.

Thoughts?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

AYC posted:

Thoughts?

Sounds reasonable.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

AYC posted:

Thoughts?

That's pretty much incoherent. The allowance for no contraception coverage with ACA-compliant plans has shown us that it's plenty easy to ignore scientific/medical fact with the ACA.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lyesh posted:

That's pretty much incoherent. The allowance for no contraception coverage with ACA-compliant plans has shown us that it's plenty easy to ignore scientific/medical fact with the ACA.

It's perfectly coherent. It's saying that leftist activities (such as single payer healthcare) are fundamentally flawed if their supporters are total nut bags (such as thinking vaccinations are evil).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It's a question of whether you buy that ACA is better at adhering to scientific truth than Single Payer would be. If you don't make the case for that first, the argument is a non-sequitur.

I'm not caught up with the midterms thread, so maybe De Nomolos made that case successfully, and AYC just left that part out when bringing the discussion here?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ditocoaf posted:

It's a question of whether you buy that ACA is better at adhering to scientific truth than Single Payer would be. If you don't make the case for that first, the argument is a non-sequitur.

I'm not caught up with the midterms thread, so maybe De Nomolos made that case successfully, and AYC just left that part out when bringing the discussion here?

It was a response to the following statement:

quote:

[The Green Party's] anti-science tendencies make me uncomfortable, but they enough positions I agree with to overlook that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

computer parts posted:

It was a response to the following statement:

The context was pretty loving important in this case.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ah okay, I just looked into the thread for context while you were making that post. So this is about the Greens supporting good stuff except for being anti-vaccine. Yeah then, that's dumb.

I guess I would still be glad if the Greens helped push Single Payer through, because I assume their anti-vaccine nuttery wouldn't have much effect on the final legislation, because they'd be only one small part of the push.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 13, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Except the ACA is what we loving have now, and diseases that were gone, are coming back anyways because of literal monstrous insane people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

rscott posted:

Have a problem? Have you tried not having that problem? Truly, life is simple.

• Locked thread