Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Here in good old 'Murica, the debate over single-payer health care has largely been relegated to the sidelines. Much as conservatives decry Obamacare as the worst thing since sliced Hitler, it's pretty much cemented the presence of insurance companies and confirmed that the U.S. will not have a health care system similar to Canada's anytime soon.

Well...in 49 out of 50 states, anyways.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/o...&pgtype=article

Vermont signed into law a single-payer health care bill in 2011, but because of Obamacare they have to set up the (private) insurance exchanges just like everyone else. Now, here's the kicker: in 2017, the "waiver for state innovation" takes effect, allowing individual states to opt of the Obamacare requirements if they've got their own plan to cover their citizens. Vermont plans on using this to establish Green Mountain Care, taking those sweet federal subsidies to pay for the roughly $1.7 billion needed to cover their citizens.

So, is this a good idea and a natural step forward in American progress, or a sign of the apocalypse and big government run mad? Let's debate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It is the best thing ever and I'm just sad it has taken 70+ years since the Second Bill of Rights was proposed to actually do something to move in that direction. Maybe a GMI is soon to follow?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I hope this can be a model for other states. Sure, Vermont has a tiny population, and scaling it up will inevitably involve difficulties, but there's no reason it can't eventually be done.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I wonder, has there been much backlash from the opposition? Given just how hard the GOP railed against the PPACA, I'd imagine this would send them into complete fits. Or does the Vermont branch happen to be actually reasonable?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Perestroika posted:

I wonder, has there been much backlash from the opposition? Given just how hard the GOP railed against the PPACA, I'd imagine this would send them into complete fits. Or does the Vermont branch happen to be actually reasonable?

I'm not as tuned into state politics as I used to be, but from what I hear back home the state GOP isn't throwing quite the shitfit you'd expect from the national party. In part I credit this to vestigial reasonableness as VT Republicans were one of the last holdouts of the Rockefeller wing of the party, as well as tea party types often being seen as flatlanders what we don't want 'round these parts.

Also, keep in mind that VT has been moving towards UHC since well before the proposal and passage of PPACA, so a lot of the ideological battles have already been fought.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Unfortunately Vermont is still dragging its feet on actually implementing single-payer; the law was signed four years ago and the state still has not produced a budget proposal for paying for it. I just hope they can get their act together soon enough, the single-payer movement in the US is probably going to depend a lot on Vermont's success.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Unfortunately Vermont is still dragging its feet on actually implementing single-payer; the law was signed four years ago and the state still has not produced a budget proposal for paying for it. I just hope they can get their act together soon enough, the single-payer movement in the US is probably going to depend a lot on Vermont's success.

I don't know if I'd call it foot-dragging; they can't actually implement anything until 2017, so it's not like they're losing time that the law could be active and protecting people.

Though, given the speed of bureaucracy, I do agree that they should really try to get something together soon--it's going to take plenty of time to get everything in order.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Keep in mind: that waiver in 2017 also has to be approved by HHS, which I'm sure will be right at the top of President Cruz's priorities.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Joementum posted:

Keep in mind: that waiver in 2017 also has to be approved by HHS, which I'm sure will be right at the top of President Cruz's priorities.

We'll have much bigger problems if we get a President Cruz.

If this works out well in VT, I can see a few other deep-blue states taking a punt. Maybe MA. Or CA if we ever get this corruption under control.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

redscare posted:

We'll have much bigger problems if we get a President Cruz.

If this works out well in VT, I can see a few other deep-blue states taking a punt. Maybe MA. Or CA if we ever get this corruption under control.

California's legislature passed single-payer twice while Schwarzenegger was governor, only to have him veto it. So it's not out of the realm of possibility, although they haven't even tried since Brown took office so single-payer could very well just be red meat to throw to their base to drum up votes.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

California's legislature passed single-payer twice while Schwarzenegger was governor, only to have him veto it. So it's not out of the realm of possibility, although they haven't even tried since Brown took office so single-payer could very well just be red meat to throw to their base to drum up votes.

It actually keeps being introduced by state senator Mark Leno. But yeah, since Brown become governor, instead of passing the legislature it mysteriously can't even get past committee now...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Shumlin is going to need to stay on as Governor until the program gets approved and implemented because most of the details are being ironed out by a board overseen and appointed by the Governor, which is not politically popular within the state. He easily won re-election in 2012 after his very narrow initial victory in 2010. Obviously, 2012 was a good year to be running as a Democrat in a blue state, but so far it looks like he'll coast to victory again in 2014.

Right now his only challenger on the Republican ticket is perennial Independent candidate Emily Peyton, whose big platform idea is to grant total property tax relief to anyone willing to set up a lifetime hemp farm using loans from a new public bank. Yeah, she's not the typical Republican.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
When you give white people a state to themselves, they treat each other really nicely.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Shumlin is going to need to stay on as Governor until the program gets approved and implemented because most of the details are being ironed out by a board overseen and appointed by the Governor, which is not politically popular within the state. He easily won re-election in 2012 after his very narrow initial victory in 2010. Obviously, 2012 was a good year to be running as a Democrat in a blue state, but so far it looks like he'll coast to victory again in 2014.

Right now his only challenger on the Republican ticket is perennial Independent candidate Emily Peyton, whose big platform idea is to grant total property tax relief to anyone willing to set up a lifetime hemp farm using loans from a new public bank. Yeah, she's not the typical Republican.

Do we really have many typical Republicans anymore? The last governor they managed was Douglas and he at best was tepidly center-right by modern GOP standards.

Peven Stan posted:

When you give white people a state to themselves, they treat each other really nicely.

In our defense, we're equally aloof and unhelpful to flatlanders of every race and ethniticy.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Peven Stan posted:

The state of Maine would like to have a word with you.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Acrophyte posted:

The state of Maine would like to have a word with you.

And New Hampshire, for that matter. Particularly the northern half of the state.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Welcome to the club, Vermont!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Would it be funny if 20 years Down the line every state offers a UHC option for its residents, and they use Obamacare monies to fund it.

Would that be Kafkaesque or :usa:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

AYC posted:

Here in good old 'Murica, the debate over single-payer health care has largely been relegated to the sidelines. Much as conservatives decry Obamacare as the worst thing since sliced Hitler, it's pretty much cemented the presence of insurance companies and confirmed that the U.S. will not have a health care system similar to Canada's anytime soon.

Well...in 49 out of 50 states, anyways.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/06/o...&pgtype=article

Vermont signed into law a single-payer health care bill in 2011, but because of Obamacare they have to set up the (private) insurance exchanges just like everyone else. Now, here's the kicker: in 2017, the "waiver for state innovation" takes effect, allowing individual states to opt of the Obamacare requirements if they've got their own plan to cover their citizens. Vermont plans on using this to establish Green Mountain Care, taking those sweet federal subsidies to pay for the roughly $1.7 billion needed to cover their citizens.

So, is this a good idea and a natural step forward in American progress, or a sign of the apocalypse and big government run mad? Let's debate!

For what it's worth, this is essentially what Canada does. Technically the companies that run the health authorities in a region are not owned by the government. However, since the government is the only entity that pays them, they effectively are. Doctors are all private and they simply bill the government for the cost of the procedure as basically Canada just acts as a gigantic health insurance company.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Interesting.... is it possible this backdoor in Obamacare could actually end up being the health care reform we actually needed by making funding available for states to do the right thing on their own?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Jarmak posted:

Interesting.... is it possible this backdoor in Obamacare could actually end up being the health care reform we actually needed by making funding available for states to do the right thing on their own?

No, because the federal money in no way would be enough to cover it, states would have to raise taxes be quite a bit, and that's always unpopular. Also Vermont is white as snow with a very low and rural population, normal rules of American politics don't apply.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Amused to Death posted:

No, because the federal money in no way would be enough to cover it, states would have to raise taxes be quite a bit, and that's always unpopular. Also Vermont is white as snow with a very low and rural population, normal rules of American politics don't apply.

Also Obamacare has a clause which states that the unique state plan can not add to the federal deficit beyond current spending:

quote:

Also, before Green Mountain Care is allowed to launch, state law requires Vermont to define the benefits in the program, provide a three year budget that costs less than current health care expenditures, and to acquire the federal waiver

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Amused to Death posted:

In Canada, money for the government health insurance is levied as an insurance premium and totally separate from taxes. You even pay directly to the provincial health ministry. It's about $60/month, with reductions for people on (very) low income.

That does make it slightly regressive (vs something like the UK's National Insurance which scales with income), but it at least makes it clear that it's not a "tax".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HBNRW posted:

For what it's worth, this is essentially what Canada does. Technically the companies that run the health authorities in a region are not owned by the government. However, since the government is the only entity that pays them, they effectively are. Doctors are all private and they simply bill the government for the cost of the procedure as basically Canada just acts as a gigantic health insurance company.

It's also the system that Vermont picked after evaluating different options including a NHS style government built and run healthcare system system.

However after evaluating the large of amount of pre-built private medical infrastructure that state decided it would be better to do something similar to Canada.

Basically the government provides insurance for everyone regardless of income but pays private doctors/hospitals for all the medical care.

quote:

Option 1: As laid out by the requirements of Act 128, the first option would create "a government-administered and publicly financed single-payer health benefit system decoupled from employment which prohibits insurance coverage for the health services provided by this system and allows for private insurance coverage only of supplemental health services."The proposal considered this option to be the easiest path to single-payer, but was critical of the "complex and inefficient process" of proof of residency needs.
Option 2: As laid out by the requirements of S 88, the second option would create "a public health benefit option administered by state government, which allows individuals to choose between the public option and private insurance coverage and allows for fair and robust competition among public and private plans." The commission noted that this option did not provide universal coverage on its own or the enforcement mechanism in place for any possible mandates put in place to achieve more coverage.[
Option 3: Act 128 allowed the commission to design a system that met the various principles outlined in Section 2 of the Act. The commission's design ultimately sought out an "approach to Option 3... by combining three studies to ascertain what type of universal health insurance, what methods of financing, and what type of single payer system is most likely to be politically and practically viable for Vermont

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

In Canada, money for the government health insurance is levied as an insurance premium and totally separate from taxes. You even pay directly to the provincial health ministry. It's about $60/month, with reductions for people on (very) low income.

That does make it slightly regressive (vs something like the UK's National Insurance which scales with income), but it at least makes it clear that it's not a "tax".
Only in some places. Alberta used to have that, and did away with it while I lived there, and Ontario has never had that as long as I've lived here (which admittedly has only been 3-4 years). It's hard to talk about healthcare in Canada without explicitly discussing each province's approach.

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.
How does this keep people with horribly expensive diseases from just moving to Vermont when diagnosed and sticking the state government with the bill?

Then when treatment is over you leave the state....

Or just selling postage stamp sized lots to be considered a resident of Vermont. So that you then just bill your out of state doctor to Vermont and laugh all the way to the bank?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fat Ogre posted:

How does this keep people with horribly expensive diseases from just moving to Vermont when diagnosed and sticking the state government with the bill?

Or just selling postage stamp sized lots to be considered a resident of Vermont. So that you then just bill your out of state doctor to Vermont and laugh all the way to the bank?

Because it will be linked to basic residency requirements just like being able to vote or register a car in-state.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

The intersection of people uninsured in 2017, people with expensive health problems, and people able to move to Vermont is going to be almost nonexistent.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fat Ogre posted:

In addition to etalian said, land development laws in VT are pretty strict and while designed more to prevent land speculating and flipping, would likely impede that last point pretty effectively.

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.

etalian posted:

Because it will be linked to basic residency requirements just like being able to vote or register a car in-state.

Good luck with that.

Right to travel according to SCOTUS trumps that poo poo.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapiro_v._Thompson

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fat Ogre posted:

Good luck with that.

Well go file an amicus curae brief with the Vermont Republican Party then, I'm sure you'd be rewarded handsomely.

I suspect they have taken this into account in some manner.

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.

Nessus posted:

Well go file an amicus curae brief with the Vermont Republican Party then, I'm sure you'd be rewarded handsomely.

Which is what I was asking in the first place. Does anyone know how they plan to keep it from getting abused? Or do they even care?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nessus posted:

For example: when you're suffering from a difficult illness, quitting your job for a few months to move to Vermont is not, in fact, a realistic solution. Additionally, plenty of chronic illnesses (ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.) do not actually "go away" and require monthly treatments and constant medication, meaning you'd have to move to Vermont forever.

This is the "If they don't like the bigoted homophobia of their state, why don't they just move?" argument transported to healthcare, with the bizarre twist that this time it's posited as a bad thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bicyclops posted:

For example: when you're suffering from a difficult illness, quitting your job for a few months to move to Vermont is not, in fact, a realistic solution. Additionally, plenty of chronic illnesses (ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.) do not actually "go away" and require monthly treatments and constant medication, meaning you'd have to move to Vermont forever.

This is the "If they don't like the bigoted homophobia of their state, why don't they just move?" argument transported to healthcare, with the bizarre twist that this time it's posited as a bad thing.
I believe Fat Ogre's inquiry is, what keeps someone from moving there briefly and applying for welfare, which they may not be lawfully denied based on their status of residency? Because if it's a general 'what's going to stop everyone from flooding to Vermont for medical care' well you're kind of summarizing the issue there.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fat Ogre posted:

Good luck with that.

States are able to charge residents and nonresidents different tuition amounts and that seems pretty uncontroversial

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nessus posted:

I believe Fat Ogre's inquiry is, what keeps someone from moving there briefly and applying for welfare, which they may not be lawfully denied based on their status of residency?

And I think my answer is that uprooting one's entire life to temporarily obtain Vermont residency is not a realistic solution for almost anyone in a position where they're lacking adequate healthcare; it is a self-correcting "problem."

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.

VitalSigns posted:

States are able to charge residents and nonresidents different tuition amounts and that seems pretty uncontroversial

Tuition isn't welfare.

enbot
Jun 7, 2013
Vermont is probably out of the way and tiny enough for that not to be an issue, not to mention it's about the 10th most expensive state to live in. However, it's certainly possible if a larger more accessible (cheaper, more central to lots of low income earners) left leaning state like Illinois (for example) implemented a good single payer system selection bias would be a non-trivial issue. Moving a state or two over and getting the same low paying job you would have in WI, OH, IN, and so on is hardly an insurmountable task even for low earners.

Bicyclops posted:

And I think my answer is that uprooting one's entire life to temporarily obtain Vermont residency is not a realistic solution for almost anyone in a position where they're lacking adequate healthcare; it is a self-correcting "problem."

I agree for Vermont for the reasons above, but you really can't just wave your hands and ignore issues like that in general. Putting it as a problem in scare quotes ignores that you actually do need to pay the bills at the end of the day- and even left leaning states like Illinois and CA aren't very eager to raise taxes. Considering this Vermont thing is probably half a decade away at best it doesn't seem like a waste of the threads time to explore issues of single payer being implemented on a state by state basis. Maybe there will be no problems. Thing is, if there are and its implementation is a failure you can kiss any chance of it getting national play goodbye for a long time.

Most countries that have excellent welfare and Single Payer systems get around such things by having extremely rigid immigration laws; moving from state to state is much easier relatively and there could certainly be some problems that arise from that.

Bicyclops posted:

No, it's not like that at all, what an utterly bizarre thing to bring up.

enbot fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 26, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

enbot posted:

No, it's not like that at all, what an utterly bizarre thing to bring up.

It really is, though, because both of these arguments assume that people are capable of interstate moving without any real difficulty. In this instance, we'd have assume someone would be able to move as soon as they need treatment, and do it fairly swiftly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.

Bicyclops posted:

It really is, though, because both of these arguments assume that people are capable of interstate moving without any real difficulty. In this instance, we'd have assume someone would be able to move as soon as they need treatment, and do it fairly swiftly.

That is the reason why SCOTUS overruled residency requirements because it kept poor people locked into states.

• Locked thread