Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

All the (Soviet, at least) weapons are named after rather interesting people who had a role in preparing (or failing to prepare) Russia for the upcoming war - might be worth expanding upon.

Also, the very first screenshot in the LP should link to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A video of the intro / outro scenes might be handy.

Also, thanks for including the audio link. I think I know what the last song in the LP should be.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

Maxim gun

This water cooled machinegun was originally designed by Hiram Maxim in 1884, and became immensely popular worldwide. Imperial Russian engineer Sokolov developed a more portable mount for it, allowing it to be easily transported by even one man, and protecting him with a shield. The weapon was an integral part of the legendary tachanka (seen in the picture), the core of the Red Army's mobile firepower during the Russian Civil War. Many designs attempted to replace it, but the ability to fire continuously for as long as you have ammunition was too valuable to fully replace these guns in WWII.
Are we going to post literally the Batko's personal tachanka while pretending it was primarily a Red weapon?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

For a moment I thought our literal (long lost?) brother was leading the partisan squad.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The partisans are the most successful resistance movement in WWII history (with the arguable exception of the Yugoslavian resistance)*. They also had some really good songs.

The interesting part about the parties attempts to run the partisan movement is that the very moment the authorities in Moscow managed to establish a secure connection to the major partisan armies and demand that the start following a centralized plan (circa 1944) is the moment the effectiveness of the movement dropped considerably. Obviously enough - even if we assume that the proper authorities received absolutely full and correct information of the local conditions, formulated a brilliant plan and related it back to the locals, by the time the information filtered back and forth the conditions were likely to have utterly changed. That's why the Viet Cong's (coincidentally cooperating with Russian military advisers) military doctrine emphasized the independent initiative of local troops, even while striving for a common strategic goal.

* Reading various relevant 1950's American literature is kinda adorable. "What's the a good example of a resistance movement from the last few years? Err... the French and the Italians. Yeah, can't think of anyone that did more than those guys to free their country from the Fascist menace."

Part of the issue with POW collaborators is that according to Stalin's Command#227, "Not a Step Back", any Soviet soldiers who surrendered to the enemy, regardless of the exact circumstances, were classified as traitors. So someone risking life and limb to escape from a prisoner camp and make it back to the Russian side may well continue that trip all the way to Siberia - possibly accompanied by their entire family. Not the most enticing of prospects.

Nevertheless, units recruited from POW's / local population were generally kept behind the front lines. Not only were they much better suited towards policing the local population than fighting on the frontlines, but when posted to the front, the desertion rates would skyrocket (despite everything I said a moment ago). The Idel Ural Legion, a (primarily) Muslim Tatar army composed with the help of the venerable Mufti crossed over to the Russian side almost in its entirety. Even police forces posted behind the front lines, like Gil Rodionov's infamous "Druzhina" could well massacre their German officers and start helping the partisans.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Slaan posted:

Comrade Premier Stalin, truly a man of The People :ussr:

Isn't there a massive love-hate relationship going on in Russia over Stalin? In that there are still lines of people who mourn Stalin over his grave to this day but there are also huge numbers of people who hate him with a vengeance?
Edit - You know what? I'm going to leave this question to the distinguished Ensign, because covering that topic in-depth would require us to delve into current (and former) revisionist history, political psychology and just... general unpleasantness.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Everyone has incredibly WASPy (WSA?) names. Where are all the Tatars / Ukrainians / Moldovans etc?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 11, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

WSA? White Slavic...what?
Follow the logic of letter substitution. It's not exactly a nefariously difficult puzzle.

quote:

But since you mention it, I have noticed that Soviet/Russian war movies like to insert token non-slavic folk in groups that seems to consist solely of Slavs otherwise. There was this one movie I can't remember the title of which had a token Kyrgyz, and in Белый Тигр the loader(?) was a mongoloid fellow of unspecified nationality. Then again, how did this work historically? Is it really likely that there would be a noticeable amount of ethnic diversity in the units depicted in the game?
Are you asking whether the USSR army had racial / ethnic segregation?

The answer is no. If anything, relegating said ethnic representatives to the role of token minorities is a misrepresentation of the actual demographics and their contribution to the war effort.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

Atheist? Not a cultural category like "protestant" is. And is it even possible to be considered Slavic and non-White at the same time?
You got me. To my deep and lasting shame, my parenthetical pun wasn't quite as well thought out as it should have been.

quote:

I was thinking more along the lines of "units would likely be composed of whichever nationalities were common in the area it was recruited from", i.e. you shouldn't expect to see very many tatars or armenians outside units that were raised in Tatarstan/Armenia respectively. But if they mashed all kinds of nationalitites together haphazardly, then I suppose that fictional depictions should reflect that.
I'm pretty sure the 19th century / WWI made that practice obsolete. You're German or whatever - I'm fairly certain that when your classmates went to do their bit in the army they didn't all get sent to the same "Second Buchenwald Regiment", right?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Uhhhhh, why would you NOT want to keep (potential) military members from the same area within the same group?

The only reason why that wouldn't apply would be if you had quotas to fill or specific "jobs" that would require you to transfer out to a different location.
You're basically asking for a major increase in mutiny / mass desertions (less immediate but also unpleasant is that a single lost action can depopulate an entire city / region, instead of spreading the losses out) as the loyalty of the troops is misdirected. The Germans have learned this lesson first hand when forming collaborator armies out of members of the same nationality. Half the fighting force of the Tatar legion "Idel Ural" deserted to join the partisans / cross over to the Red side, while the rest refused to go into battle.

Since the Soviet army (like other armies, but let's not get sidetracked) was also viewed as a venue for political pedagogy, mixing the various populations and making sure every soldier ended far from home and in an odd environment was (unofficial?) policy.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 11, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There are many examples of foreign volunteers that didn't change sides. The Tatars just chose the winning side because the alternative was much much worse. I could point out that the "Charlemagne" division, which was composed of French volunteers was one of the last, if not THE last combatants to surrender during the battle of Berlin.

Having people from the same location, background, etc. within a unit promotes cohesion between members. It may not be as prevalent this day and age, and with Kopijeger's example, situational based on country, location, regiment and so on.
In 1942, the "winning side" was anything but clear.

Every other "Eastern" legion - Armenian, Gruzian, Latvian etc - had essentially the same story and was sent to the other side of Europe to curb the temptations of further mutiny / desertion.

(It goes without saying that there's a major difference between volunteers and conscripts [much less conscripts from the ranks of war prisoners] - the same shared loyalty can emphasize the united commitment to a shared ideology, or the hardships of being forced to be in an fight you never asked for)

For that matter, look at the history of rebellion in 18th and 19th century US forces, which didn't drop the notion of regiments raised in the same locale serving together until after the civil war.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So we can agree that conscripts, volunteers and traitors don't work, which invalidates your whole point since this essentially started with the concept of recruiting native units within a country's own military forces.
We can't and don't though?

Also, you have a very odd idea of "native" units. There was only one class of "natives" within the Soviet Union - ethnic Russians born in Russia.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So, we're all learning something today.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"In the mid-1920s the territorial principle of manning the Red Army was introduced. In each region able-bodied men were called up for a limited period of active duty in territorial units"

Now let's go to
an actual Russian source
: As of 1938, "The territorial system was finally abolished, with all remaining formations converted to the other 'cadre' divisions" (mentioned in the article you've linked, oddly enough). However, the harsh conditions of the war (primarily the huge losses of manpower in the first few months) forced the High Command to ignore the principles of unity that motivated the abolition, and form divisions "on the spot" out of the forces available on location. However, even among these "national" divisions, the numbers of the ethnic majority rarely breached the 70% threshold. The "national" divisions survived until the mid-50's, at which point they were abolished once again.

So let's see if I've got this right:

1. During WWII, ethnic minorities fighting side by side with ethnic Russians would have been a common sight.

2. However (despite what I assumed), there were divisions / regiments / other units which would have had a majority component of a single ethnicity.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Aww. I think it would have been more interesting had we taken part in the Yevpatoria Assault.

Interesting bit of trivia - at the time, the USSR didn't really believe in "Elite troops", the Red Army being highly egalitarian (the very notion of slightly special privileges for officers being re-introduced shortly before the war). However, the Marines (or even the ordinary sailors) had to go through a more rigorous application / training process, which turned them into de-facto elites in comparison to the everyman soldier. Germans apparently dreaded the notion of encountering the "Black Jackets".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 15, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLHOiroyhNU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The Sandman posted:

So, which exciting battles do you think we won't see in the next campaign?

I'm guessing that we're going to give both El Alameins, Sicily, Italy, D-Day, Cobra, Market-Garden and the Bulge a miss.

Maybe if we're really lucky we'll get to play in Hurtgen Forest or Aachen! :smithicide:
I'm looking forward to this game's take on Castle Itter.

• Locked thread