Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Rising from the ashes of the Point And Click Adventure Game Megathread...

What Is It?
Deponia is a trilogy of point and click adventure games by German developer Daedalic. Daedalic is, if you're polite, a prolific developer, putting out anywhere from two to ten games in a single year. If you're not polite, they employ the spray-and-pray approach to game development. They've won awards for several of their games, but they were German only awards, so that hardly counts.

Deponia uses your bog standard talk to people and rub things on things adventure game mechanics we've all grown used to since the original Monkey Island. Where it stands out is the humor. Not quite up to Lucas Arts standards, the Deponia games are still fun and witty, if a little bit crude. But they're written well enough and feature a unique cast of psychos and pompous asses. Rufus, they player character, is probably the most pompous. See, while most adventure games give a nod and a wink to the character's destructive, thieving tendencies, Deponia embraces them whole hog.

Why The LP?
While not exactly unknown, Deponia is definitely a lesser known game in a genre that's not exactly flourishing. I like it, I think it's fun and funny, and worth showing off. Especially if you're not likely to play adventure games yourself, I think it's worth seeing the story unfold. But I may be biased.

Format?
Since this is a fully voice acted game, I'm going with subtitles. I'll mostly stick to explaining things and offering story reminders, with the occasional attempt at humor. Updates should come about once a week or so.

Spoiler Policy?
Being an adventure game, story is the main draw. So I ask you please not post any spoilers, even in tags.

Wait, you're like halfway done
This was originally taking place in Senior Scarybagels's point and click megathread, but real life got in the way and he couldn't really maintain it anymore. So now Deponia is headed out into the cold, unfeeling world of having its own thread. Click here to watch the first game, already completed.

Let's Play Goodbye Deponia

Rufus. Rufus never changes. 70 hours after the departure of Cletus and a mind-hosed Donna, he's back to ruining things. But now, the fate of Deponia and Elysium rest on his broad, kinda mushy, and extremely injured shoulders. Join me as I click on things then watch Rufus cause grave injury or damage to them, depending on level of sentience. Then I slap some half-assed snarky subtitles on and call it an LP. You've followed it this far, you're probably in for the long haul.

YamiNoSenshi fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Let's Play Chaos On Deponia

Continuing almost immediately from the end of Deponia, Chaos on Deponia sees Rufus doing what Rufus does best: being a huge jerk and occasionally solving puzzles. Goal is back on her way to Elysium, hopefully to save the planet of Deponia from complete destruction at the hands of the Organon. Rufus of course will mess this up within the first five minutes and we will spend equal time putting out fires and then putting out the fires caused by putting out the first ones. And maybe, just maybe, we'll help Rufus get over his daddy issues. Or something. I suck at intros. It's more of the same: same gameplay, same writing, same humor, same art style. I like it, and I hope you do too.

YamiNoSenshi fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 18, 2014

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Let's get this new thread going with an update.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
As someone unfortunate enough to both get genuinely interested where the story goes and being completely terrible at adventure games, watching the hell out of this.

I guess zapping Rufus after putting up with all his poo poo for two games has to feel pretty cathartic.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 23, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

It's kinda eerie how well Rufus and Spunky Goal get along. They are altogether way too similar, and too good at enabling each other's dumb behavior. I was surprised there was no negative consequences to that ice swimming bit. Good thing she's only a part of the actual Goal, I guess.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I like the design of that crab-dozer.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Air is lava! posted:

I like the design of that crab-dozer.

I love most of the art for this game. Characters designs are mostly cool, and the backgrounds are great. Cutscene animations, on the other hand range from mediocre to actually looking like a 90's adventure game.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
This week's post is brought to you by an unsecured wireless router sitting in a cellular dead zone that also contains the hotel I'm in. Quality not guaranteed, any mistakes will be fixed next week, along with pretty update pictures.

YamiNoSenshi fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 6, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Those dolphins aren't long for this world, are they.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
When I tried to upload this video, Youtube rejected both it and me, leaving me unable to do anything with my account for an entire evening. It might have been justified.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Geez, and I thought watching him steal from a beggar was bad.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, Rufus has a pretty long history of animal abuse, I don't know why dolphins should be anything special. I may be a bad person but that scene does make me crack up.

Goal not having a nose really freaks me out. It's not so bad in the main game but it really shows in the close-up cutscenes.

Also, the gasoline line is actually a reference to another Daedalic point'n'click adventure game, Chains of Satinav. I'm hearing it's pretty good.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Hehe. That is probably the moral low point of the series.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Meanwhile, it seems the only way to get Rufus not to steal something is to tell him to.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I'm still working through the videos, but I did recently finish the set for the first Deponia games, and am slowly getting through the Chaos on Deponia ones! I really like how much charm this game has.

So far, I'm up to episode 4 of videos watched on Chaos. I don't get the hate for platypuses. They're downright adorable. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6QHzIJO5a8

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
This episode brought to you by the letter w, the letter r, and all the other letters I missed before I went double checked my subtitles.

Also, a quick thanks to everyone watching and posting: Thanks for watching and posting.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So why did we have to straighten the banana?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

So why did we have to straighten the banana?
When he tried using the regular banana, the guy missed the hole.
Because a curved banana has a curved trajectory. :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, way to miss it. I blame the fact it comes right after a Schrödinger's cat joke, this game's relationship to humor is positively schizophrenic.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Welp, way to miss it. I blame the fact it comes right after a Schrödinger's cat joke, this game's relationship to humor is positively schizophrenic.

It does tend to throw everything it can against the wall. I think enough sticks to be charming, but there are some jokes that just don't work or were perhaps lost in translation.

As for the banana, it's just one of those adventure game things where it works because it works.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, the game definitely is charming. I'd imagine that jokes that don't work are the ones revolving around animal violence - but hey, I laughed at the baby dolphin sequence so I guess it depends on how much of a terrible person you are.

It's kinda surprising it doesn't get much attention here, but then again, adventure games don't seem to generate much traffic - look at the Discworld Noir thread and that's based on a bestselling book series.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, the game definitely is charming.

Erm, well - at times. The first spunky Goal plotline I thought was down-right misogynistic - didn't it basically imply that women are superficial fools who are only after men with big muscles?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NeoAnjou posted:

Erm, well - at times. The first spunky Goal plotline I thought was down-right misogynistic - didn't it basically imply that women are superficial fools who are only after men with big muscles?

They're all stereotypes, pretty much. I wouldn't draw any generalizations from this game's characters.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

NeoAnjou posted:

It's odd enough that any part of Goal is worried about dating when the planet she's on is going to be destroyed soon, in one of explosive three ways. The different Goals are meant to be extreme versions of their personality traits. Lady Goal is the part that was raised to be prim and proper, and expects a gentleman. Spunky Goal is her aggressive side and wants somebody who can physically keep up with her. And Baby Goal is idealistic and is looking for some brave hero leading the beaten down masses against their violent oppressors.

Of course, we're talking about Rufus. So all three parts must be dumb as posts and suffering severe memory issues.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
You know, I'm still confused about one, little thing? Why did we have to use the baby dolphins when the bait fish should have been enough to draw the cat out? I mean, fish is fish when it comes to a cat, right?

Or is the cat that picky and won't eat it unless it is in the form of cat food?

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Ben Kasack posted:

You know, I'm still confused about one, little thing? Why did we have to use the baby dolphins when the bait fish should have been enough to draw the cat out? I mean, fish is fish when it comes to a cat, right?

Or is the cat that picky and won't eat it unless it is in the form of cat food?

Beyond "the games says you have to," I'd say the cat is conditioned to respond to somebody dumping cat food in his bowl. If it can't smell the bait fish, maybe it doesn't recognize it as food? Also that toothpick on the fish could be dangerous if it's small enough, and I'd like to see one animal be okay. But I'm just making this poo poo up, really.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Also there is the fact, that you don't have any bait fish, at that point.
But some puzzles are really kind of weird. If you try to feed Goon with a banana, Rufus just complains that it doesn't really fit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair he as much as tells you that hobos eat shoes, same with the lightning rod components. If anything, this looks a lot easier to solve than most of the stuff the first game threw at you - when I originally tried playing that, I gave up on the telephone lines puzzle. Those loving pigeons.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Who else is thankful that Rufus did not need to make a string for a musical instrument? We all know that the poor cat would have found it's way in.

I'm really enjoying having this LP in the background while I work, thanks for your hard work!

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Don't forget, the only reason we need to feed the cat, is because Rufus is loving blind and can't see the very visible cat door.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
The best part of doing an LP of an adventure game is sometimes the editing process is: Find first frame of gameplay, find last frame, add fade in/out.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty cool twist on the teleporter maze. I'm assuming we can add telefragging a platypus into Rufus' ever-growing list of animal crimes?
Gotta say I love Doc's little catharsis especially given his attitude at the beginning of the game.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
And now the exciting conclusion of Chaos On Deponia. Except it's the middle game of a trilogy, so the ending is a little anticlimactic.

There will be two more bonus videos next week, then onto the actual conclusion in Goodbye Deponia. I should probably play that at some point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, it was definitely more climactic than the first one. But that seems to be true of this game as a whole; I enjoyed both the plot and jokes a lot more.

Of course, let's not forget that most of this game wouldn't have happened if Rufus could refuse a free lollipop. I find it puts things in perspective.

(As possibly the only actual viewer here) Looking forward to the third one!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Well, that was an interesting ending. I totally did not think that Goal would come to Rufas in the end.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

SystemLogoff posted:

Well, that was an interesting ending. I totally did not think that Goal would come to Rufas in the end.

She probably wouldn't've if Cletus didn't discount one-third of her personality. Motherfucka's more arrogant than West.

I want to reverse that line Lady Goal had about Rufus being the worst possible Cletus, but I pretty sure that Cletus would have moral and/or ethical problems with some of the poo poo Rufus pulled.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, really Cletus was completely truthful at the start of the game about what he was intending. He didn't think it was going to work, but he was upfront about it. Rufus just doesn't care about anything but himself. I mean, this game happened in large part because the most important thing to him was eating a lollipop.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Wherein a young woman strangles an old man for three minutes:

And this final bonus is a little :nws:

That's it for Chaos on Deponia. There will be a brief lull, then onto Goodbye Deponia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
"Wow, that is some serious pixel-hunting you have to do to find those puzzle pieces, not to mention even knowing of their existence. Wonder what you get for-"

:catstare: What the hell. The two games so far have revolved around, and are pretty much entirely about, taking advantage of Goal, and I see why people had a hard time enjoying it. That's especially with Rufus also being an rear end who only comes slightly close at a few instances to realizing just how awful he is. And then there's that bonus. Goddamn, Daedalus.

At this point, I think the only good ending would be Goal kicking everyone to the curb and leaving while throwing the double deuce at everyone behind her.

• Locked thread