Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I almost thought for a while there that City Rufus was going to die. Then again, I'm not really sure how else you're supposed to tie up having three different Rufuses (Rufi?) running around than to have two of them bumped off at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

By the third game, we're all thinking it. :allears:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The one time someone tells Rufus what we're all thinking, he back down on it. Oh well.
I still maintain that the music-related jokes are the best part of the series. I've been going "I just sat on a thiiiiiistle!" in random moments for the last two hours. Besides, let's face it, it's a pretty accurate representation of lyrics in musicals.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 22, 2014

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

YamiNoSenshi posted:

The good news is I've recorded the rest of the game (there are 4 more half hour episodes). The bad news is the Devils lost to the Rangers while I was subtitling. I blame the LP curse.

Gotta catch em all. Which I did.

Update from the bottom of the previous page.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I'd want a bigger part in Les Miserables too. :smith:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

anilEhilated posted:

The one time someone tells Rufus what we're all thinking, he back down on it. Oh well.

Three different people berate Rufus for his behavior over the course of the series; Goal and Bozo both relent right when they really, really need to not relent, and the last guy is unsatisfying for a different reason, but that one might just be me. Deponia might as well be called Having Your Cake And Eating It Too: The Game. They do their "what if adventure game protagonist blah blah blah" thing as hard as they can, except for those key moments where that conceit would require characters you're supposed to like acknowledging that Rufus is an irredeemable monster, and then suddenly he's a lovable rascal who just pushes his friends' patience a little bit. It has this weird effect sort of like gaslighting.

It gets really heavy here in the last half of the third game and honestly it kinda brings the whole series down. Like, I actually like the first two games less because of the way Goodbye turned out.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
We're starting to get towards the end of the game.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

What the hell?

I mean, I guess I can see Donna being a clone of Goal just like Argus, Rufus, and Cletus are of each other, even though there's no plot given reason for that yet. But more over, why did Hermes do that?

Also, no one seems to be freaking out at two Rufi. I guess things stop being surprising with him after a point.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Yeah I...don't understand that plot twist. I don't even have a rant about it, really. It's like Yami said; they don't ever actually explain anything. It's just Daedalic taking Important Plot poo poo and turning it into a nonsense throwaway gag again.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
The reasoning that sprang immediately to mind is that Donna was a failed prototype, and the only way to fix it was to create an entire personality on an override cartridge. Which is Goal. Then they realized how stupid of a design that is and didn't make any more. Unless there are more, but I don't want to think about that.

Or maybe Donna was actually a nucleic-acid-dwelling fish-like symbiote that alters a body for its own purposes while accidentally destroying the mind. Basically anything would make sense at this point.

Also, Rufus is such a toxic parasite that he even out-parasited a barrel full of leeches. Goddamn.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Wow, the third game really likes taking leaps downhill. What's next? Goal's really been hiding under doc's clothes the whole time? The ascension codes were just a recipe for pasta?

:argh:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I've been wondering "how can there be a good ending for the kind of screw-up the game constantly has Rufus be" for a while now, and Daedalic's answer seems to edge ever onwards to a definite "it won't be good". Still interested in seeing where they take this, and the game series has been fun overall bar the few glaring :what:s we've been seeing, but I've long since started to brace myself for an unsatisfactory ending.

As an aside, I believe I get the twist they were trying for with Donna here. Please bear with me as I explain.

Hermes said initially that a second body fell from the sky (that body being Donna's, because why would the Organon still have use for her at that point?), and that there was a 'spark of life' left in her brain, which survived long enough for him to make a clone, which (presumably cloned as still being mortally wounded from the fall, however that logic works) survived long enough for him to perform a complete body scan (which he then, for some reason, did not clone). The first (incomplete?) clone was the dead one Rufus originally found and mistook for Goal.

This seems to fit all the information the game's given us. Hermes' throwaway comments on the problem of his clones changing hair colours as they aged, for one. The fact that the original body was no longer around (which would easily have proved her being Donna from hair colour alone), just the cloned body, which a) was incomplete and/or b) wouldn't have had time to lose her 'first cloned' hair colour. Of note, when the clone is first revealed after Rufus has had his rage-on on the cloning machinery, long hair covers the clone's face and thus we never really see her features, presence or lack of goggles included. You'd think Rufus might later have checked or seen this, but then you'd remember this is Rufus we're talking about and that one of the prime conceits of the entire series is the protagonist being a giant twat.

The most glaring and confusing part here is the hair colour, and why it's still orange on first clone Donna when, clearly, adding the magic nucleic acid seems to remove the issue altogether. I guess they just handwave it because the acid is being added after the rest of the cloning process is done and not during.

If the above is all true, it's still a poorly executed twist, but you can at least see where they tried.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Let's resolve some plot points and blast our way towards the final chapter.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

No, you see Rufus is totally innocent and deserves none of that.

I mean, how could you keep punching him Yami?

Over and over and over :unsmith:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, Seagull was knocked off unceremoniously to say the least. Still, the writing in this last part has definitely picked up significantly. I wonder if that's because they had the entire final chunk thought up and planned out before the games suddenly got bloated.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Ramos posted:

Well, Seagull was knocked off unceremoniously to say the least. Still, the writing in this last part has definitely picked up significantly. I wonder if that's because they had the entire final chunk thought up and planned out before the games suddenly got bloated.

Yeah this part was almost certainly from an earlier draft of the story, probably one where Seagull's role in it was way different. As it is, Rufus gets a lecture he really needs, and yet I find myself going "where do you get off?"

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah this part was almost certainly from an earlier draft of the story, probably one where Seagull's role in it was way different. As it is, Rufus gets a lecture he really needs, and yet I find myself going "where do you get off?"

I think it's mostly because we know Seagull's a huge dick. If we did not know it was all nature, his nurture would be a good reason for... well for Rufus.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

Yeah, Seagull's an rear end, and we know the lesson isn't intended to help Rufus but rather determine the alpha male of the resistance.

I would have liked to see Rufus take his own clone's death a bit less comically. Surely anyone seeing their own clone die would start to think about their own mortality. I guess that's just another one of those things that could have been a lesson, but gets ignored for comedy.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nemo Somen posted:

Yeah, Seagull's an rear end, and we know the lesson isn't intended to help Rufus but rather determine the alpha male of the resistance.

I would have liked to see Rufus take his own clone's death a bit less comically. Surely anyone seeing their own clone die would start to think about their own mortality. I guess that's just another one of those things that could have been a lesson, but gets ignored for comedy.

I don't know, I found that pretty fitting. I mean, really, Rufus is so in love with himself that there was next to no chance he wouldn't confess love to his dying self. Really, I'm happy with this, if Rufus isn't going to properly learn lessons, he can at least be properly comical and whimsical.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 1, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Clones of main characters are pretty much universally treated weirdly, like in Futurama where they outright stop caring about Lars's death once they find out he's a copy of Fry. I think the only story where the death of a clone was attempted to be remotely dramatic was Farscape.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of weird that the living Rufus is the one who's going to fire himself in a tin can out of a planet-buster cannon.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Well I mean he can't have a corpse going to Elysium and taking the credit for saving everyone.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
The penultimate episode! The stakes have... been slightly higher at times. But they're mostly the same.

I'll upload the entire hymn as a separate bonus tomorrow.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

"You're an rear end! We're an rear end! Our logo is an rear end!" actually made me laugh. Well done game.

In today's rufas being hurt gif:

Can't wait for the last update, and for whatever game you move onto next.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I have to admit that if I were part of an organization like Organon, a speech like that would probably lift my spirits more than is at all reasonable.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
As promised, a video of the Organon. Singing the Orgasong.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

What are the bits that aren't just "oh Organon" over and over?

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Felinoid posted:

What are the bits that aren't just "oh Organon" over and over?

I have no idea. I couldn't even tell you if it's translated or not.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It is english. I can make out "destination oblivion" in the lyrics.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's "destination: armagedon", actually. The rest is just organon.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

It's been some time since I watched any episodes. When I read in the thread about what Rufus did to June I stopped watching the episodes until now. Now that issue has been discussed last page and I agree that it is a completely unforgivabe joke from the developers who still should've know better.
Though, I find getting rid of the sewer children by dressing them up as the tastiest little morsels while they're in the maw of a child-eating monster just as tasteless an attempt at humour.

Another thing I'd like to mention were the two obvious translation errors: In the cell where Cletus was hiding under a blanket, which in German is called "Decke" which can also mean, well, ceiling.
The second, more easily forgiven, error is when you request a medic because the German naming comvention is very unintuitive when it comes to EMS: Medics are called "Sanitäter" and looking up the adjective "sanitäts" in a dictionary did return sanitary for me. Because it also means hygiene.

Last Transmission fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 6, 2014

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thanks YamiNoSenshi for showing off this quirky game. I hope whatever you do next will be... less controversial?

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
And it is done!

A huge thank you to everyone who watched and commented. I had a lot of fun doing this, and I hope everyone enjoyed the videos. It's been one day short of 13 months since I started the first game, and I'm glad I finished all three games.

No, of course, there's one last... thing. This unlocks (I think) when you finish the game. I guess it was the trailer? Or somebody gave the developers LSD. Either way, it's :wtc: personified.

If you've got any feedback, either technical or in terms of style, please let me know. I'm open to criticism if it'll make future LPs better. Otherwise, thanks again, and I hope to see you for whatever I decide to LP next.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Actually, I read that ending as Goal being very aware that it wasn't Rufus she ended up with. Feels like it would've been better if the first and third games had their endings swapped.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Just want to say thanks for the LP, if it wasn't for you I would have never heard of this series and despite it's ... sensibilities sometimes (there's a classic Germans can't joke line there somewhere)it was the type of big dumb bright adventure we really don't get anymore, and that made it for me.

I think Goal's melancholy at the end hints of her awareness there.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Agreeing with the others, Goal was definitely aware there, though why the whole thing didn't start spinning when Rufus fell is beyond me.

But seriously, this feels like a set up for a fourth game. Rufus has fallen, what? Five different times to Deponia and lived throughout the series. Gravity simply does not kill him, only explosions and gunfire, apparently. Just feels like he'd land, cause a few more crimes against humanity, climb back up to the highboat, and then figure out how to rocket the entire planet to someplace better or something equally absurd.

That or it's a sequel series where Cletus learns how to be an adventure game protagonist. Honestly, that sounds like it would be interesting.

edit: But seriously, that's more than enough Deponia for now. It was a fun LP, though, thanks YamiNoSenshi.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

That ending would've been pretty appropriate if they'd actually succeeded at telling the story they intended. Shame that didn't happen and we got this mess instead.

So I'll just say that YamiNoSenshi did an excellent job presenting this...thing. Hopefully the next game you LP will turn out to be better. :)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, that ending was bullshit. Also, agreeing with the others, Goal knows-- she's accepted that Rufus did one unselfish thing.

And yeah, this feels totally like they were setting up for a fourth game.

One last gif.

Also, I think I would be more mad at the ending if I was not expecting a bad ending.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Yeah that ending is mad bullshit for a lot of reasons. I don't mind so much that Cletus "wins" in the end because the price of his victory is that he has to pretend forever; if he ever gets tired of the act then he loses Goal (who is already wise to the situation and is pretty much pretending exclusively for his benefit) and he becomes a pariah on Elysium for leading them on while they careened ever closer to doom. The ending is more of the "people finally yelling at Rufus" problem; what happens is what should have happened, but in a way that gives you the impression the game is going "fine are you happy you got your way" and pouting.

I think the entire series and setting would have been a lot more interesting if it didn't have so much loving Rufus in it. We've already beaten the horse into pate over how thin Rufus' character gimmick wore over three games; I think we'd have gotten a much better trilogy if it were about Goal, and Rufus, if he were in it at all, were just a supporting character. The basic plot is still the same (Must Save Deponia), but instead we run with a gimmick of "can a character capable of empathy and love reach the end of the game without randomly behaving like Rufus". Rufus, not being the center of attention, focuses less on his long-term end goal of getting to Elysium and more on a more immediate one of convincing Goal to take him in the first place; he charges off ahead, trying to pave the way for Goal to coast smoothly off to Elysium as a way to toady up, and his presence is felt more than seen in the form of obstacles Rufus' antics have left in Goal's way. Come the end of the trilogy he appears once more, ready for Goal to lavish him with praise and whisk him off to Elysium, and when she doesn't he makes a "noble sacrifice" which is actually just a stupid, useless suicide that leaves one more mess for Goal to clean up.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

I admit that I like happy endings in my games, so this ending where everyone is miserable is displeasing. No one wins, so why would I even remotely care about this ending? If Deponia had multiple endings, this would clearly be the 'Bad End'. However, I attribute this feeling due to the poor execution. The writer clearly wanted the audience to lament Rufus' choice, but I can't see how the audience would feel sorry for Rufus' death since he was an rear end up to the end. The ending is really jarring like it belongs to a different game.

If this series were cut down to two games, and Rufus' character growth was consistent, the Deponia games could have been really great, perhaps worthy of this planned ending. But as is, this series is kind of grating. Its a bit of a shame because I know Daedalic Entertainment has produced some really nice games like the Whispered World.

• Locked thread