Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

rebel1608 posted:

Technically this applied up until recently

God drat that was glorious :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kalli posted:

I'm starting to think Sports Science is my jam

The latter two (nut kick and Ray Lewis running through the door) I've seen, but what are these two? Who did they recreate the buttfumble with?

e: VVV Haha, that's awesome. I have to watch those.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 21, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Bort Bortles posted:

The reason it is a rule is because the receiving team is supposed to have a fair chance to return the kick (because they can not oppose the kick like you can with a punt), and the rule is the way it is so that the kicking team kicks it to a spot that is feasibly returnable, which the NFL has deemed to be far enough in bounds that if the receiving player can have a foot out of bounds, it is a penalty.

Now, I am not saying I agree with this rule or think it should be as it is, but I understand why it is there and I think it makes sense from a principals standpoint.

I agree with the rule specifically for this reason. Kickoffs cannot be rushed or blocked, so they should always be returnable, and reasonably so, unless you kick it out the back of the end zone. Kicking too far to one side in the field of play should be punished since you're taking half of the field away from the returner. If you want to eliminate returns, find a kicker who can consistently produce touchbacks. I mean, gently caress, they even moved kickoffs back to the 35 again now, in an era with much stronger kickers. The NFL return game has already been damaged enough. Allowing coffin corner kickoffs would probably end the kick return game completely.

Of course, I would never argue this with punts since they are contested and a punt is not a fully live ball, having to be touched by a member of the receiving team before it can be live to the kicking team.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 19, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

HappyHelmet posted:

You can coach it, and have players looking pretty good in practice. However, once game time comes players tend to revert back to their old selves. It's pretty rare that a player is able to re-work their whole throwing motion by the time they reach the NFL because it requires some serious commitment.

Yeah, that. I'm trying really hard and I can't think of one NFL quarterback who ever successfully made significant changes in throwing motion, and it actually stuck. Stafford comes close sometimes, then reverts right back to that half-assed sidearm thing he does.

I haven't seen many Dolphins games, but I hear Tannehill is getting better at his release point so he's having less balls batted down at the line? I mean, that's the only other one I can even come up with right now.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 5, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Grittybeard posted:

Rodgers always gets brought up in this conversation but the main thing for him seems to have been don't hold the ball by your ear before you start the pass.

I don't know, here he is at Cal and here's a Green Bay highlight video. It's entirely possible I'm missing something more than the point where he starts his motion.

He still does it sometimes on short passes, which so far are all I'm seeing in the Cal video. Packers highlight video doesn't show much short distance stuff. That said, it's a lot more to do with how he holds the ball before the pass, and less to do with how his actual throwing motion works, because it's not changed that much. He definitely does have a deceptively strong arm for his size and for the way he throws though.

• Locked thread