Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Max: Brunette or Red

Synopsis: Professor Tasque has offered extra credit to his class if they partake in a project. Max and Anne decides to pair up, but Roxanne interjects, stating she would make a far better partner for Max compared to Anne. Who should Max partner up with?

Roxanne was just a little rude there with her attitude, and besides, we're going to be partnering up with Anne anyway.

I do love it when the ladies fight over me.
Sorry Roxanne, but Anne lives with me which makes it much more convenient, you know? Plus you were a bit rude there.
I was merely stating facts. If you choose to ignore them, it's your loss.
Roxanne walks over to one of the other students, I guess making her case to them. Anne smiles at me, mouthing a silent 'thank you' while staring daggers at Roxanne.
Okay, are we all sorted? Good. Here's how it works kiddies: Your partner and you are study buddies. Your grades are interwined. Once all the assignments are turned in and the tests are done, you'll both get the average of your two grades.

You'll pass the class and you won't have to do any of the other work. Here's the rub. If one of you comes to me and the other doesn't, then the one who didn't ask for the answers will automatically fail the class. But if you both come to me, you get C's. Simple as that. Do you work together and hope you're smart enough to do it? Do you pray that your partner didn't decide to cheat? Do you take your C's and call it a day? Chew on that! Now get out of my class, I have things to do!
And with that, Professor Tasque just walks away from us. Most of us are left looking goggle-eyed at each other. What the hell was that... I think I just got an easy passing grade for this class. Either way, I guess I'll have to keep an eye on Anne...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Max: Max's Shopping Trip, Part 1

Synopsis: Valentine's Day is around the corner, and Memphis has asked Max to help him find a present for his Valentine. Max decided to break away from Memphis to find someone their special gift...

Anne loves books, so the only really appropriate store to go to is Archaeic.

I should stick with books. But which one?

Which one should we buy Anne? An Autobiography, a History book, an Old Poem book or a How-To Book? I actually struggled with this at first because 3 of the books are pretty good - but only one of them will actually give Anne full 10 points.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Old poem book. Autobiography and How-to seem kind of generic, and I don't recall Anne mentioning any particular passion for history.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I'm gonna go with Old poem book too. Kiiiiiiiiiiiiinda doubting Anne would need a history book. She doesn't seem into autobiographies either. How-to book is obviously the wrong choice.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I think I remember her liking poetry. Old poem book.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Max: Max's Shopping Trip, Part 2

We're going to go ahead and buy the Old Poem Book. All the other books aren't very romantic for Valentine's. Besides, she and Max did have a brief conversation waaaaaaaay back near the beginning regarding poetry anyway.

Good enough.

That's that. Let's continue on. Before we do, however, let's look at the weekly planner to see how we're progressing.

Huh. That's all? Let's check out the weekly planner during the Anne - Dominic run a from a long time ago.

They both have the same weekly schedule (except with some classes switched around), yet Max seems to be slacking a little. I'm not too worried about Grades - he will definitely surpass the 500 Grade requirement by the end. However, as for the 300 Organized/200 Rational requirement, I may need to warm up my wallet again...

I was honestly surprised how Max has exactly 30 with everyone except Anne, which he has 60 with, because I was not paying attention to all the non-Anne relationship increases. :psyduck:

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Max: Extra Credit

Synopsis: Max and Anne decides to study for the Prisoner's Dilemma project. Anne gets curious and asks Max whether or not he was ever tempted to take Professor Tasque's deal to get an easy A or C...

Max hasn't been thinking about it, really. He's actually taking this seriously! So we'll tell her we haven't been thinking about it.

Honestly, it's just never really crossed my mind. I mean, that's not how you're supposed to get through college right?

That's the right attitude, Max! I knew you had a good student in you!
So, should we get back to work?
Yeah, sounds good.
We study for a while longer, with no more talk about the professor's tactic. Finally we've tackled the latest chapters and a couple others beside. We both stand, stretch and start putting our books away. I hear a rustling in the kitchen and notice Dominic coming out with a soda in one hand and a book in the other. I didn't even notice him come down.
Don't mind me, carry on.

He walks over to the couch and sits down, opening his book.

All right, I think that's going to do it for me.
Okay. I'll clean up down here.
Thanks!
Anne walks back upstairs while I pick up the area around where we were studying. Once it's all clean, I go sit next to Dominic on the couch, just to relax.
I overheard you talking earlier.

I'm actually a little bit proud of you. Don't go telling anybody.
I'm gonna spread it from the mountaintops. It's gonna be the first chapter of my tell-all book. Sex, Drugs, and Dominic's Approval. How it made me the man I am today.
Just leave me out of the credits page, jackass.
Nope, full glossy picture. I'm even gonna put a big lipstick kiss mark on it. Wait... how do you know about this whole betrayal thing?
Oh, a couple other people from your class are in on it. They've got my physics class. Tasque does this every couple of years. One of my friends when I was an undergrad went through it.
Did he get betrayed?
Did the betraying, actually. He had a really hard course load at the time. It made his life much easier. Of course, he made a life long enemy as well. Something to think about, eh?
I nod slowly, mulling that one over in my head. This could end up being very dangerous.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Max: Valentine's Day

Synopsis: With the Old Poem Book in stow he brought for Valentine's Day, he heads out to give that special someone the book...

Let's give the Old Poem Book to Dominic! Hahahahahahaha

I knock on Anne's door, but she's not there. I'm not really sure where she'd go. I pass Rakesh coming upstairs as I go poking through the house. Luckily as I turn to nod hello at him, I catch a glimpse of Anne. She's nestled in the study nook, three books out on the table in front of her and a notepad in her lap. She's so studious it hurts... but that's kind of endearing.
You're gonna have every book in the library memorized at this rate.
That would be great! I'd really be able to ace my classes then!

That's Anne for you. :allears:

Ha! You don't let up do you. What's going on?
Oh, just an extra credit assignment. I have to do a bit of debating. It's pretty fun, actually. What's up with you?
Oh, well, you know... it's Valentine's Day. I was just thinking of you.
Oh... that's sweet Max.
It's not much but... I picked this up for you. It's a collection of poems by Lord Byron... they're pretty good. I thought you might like them.
Oh my gosh! He's one of my favorites! I love his poems! Oh, how did you know, Max? This is such a great present! Thank you so much!
I don't know that I've ever seen Anne get this giddy before. Looks like I picked the right one!

Looks like we all did! :dance:

This was so sweet, Max. I can't thank you enough.
Oh, I can think of a... umm... well. Actually I'm just happy to see you happy.
I know that sounds incredibly sappy but... I kinda mean it.

Oh god Anne. I just love you. :allears:

Oh shut up.
Anne puts my gift down carefully on the table beside her.
Actually... I'm happy. I've... always seen there was more to you than the creep you sometimes portray yourself as. You've been doing well in your studies, despite claiming not to care! You're... you're a smart man, Max.
Well...
Anne stands up from her seat, walking over to stand close to me.
No, Max, I meant it. You're a smart man, and when you put your mind to it, you can accomplish a lot. I saw the way you played that night on stage. How electric you were.
Well, that is kind of my element...
In your own way, Max, you've taught me something. You've taught me that... um...

Anne is standing right next to me now, looking up into my eyes. She's beautiful. I instinctively reach out my arms to put them around her waist.
I do keep telling you to pull your head out of your books once in a while.
Anne's eyes sparkle as she smiles up at me.
Oh, I... um... I think I may have found something to distract me from my books...
She giggles and I can't help but laugh. I let her go and she walks back over to her seat.
I appreciate you Max. A lot.
Me too. Do you... do you want to go out sometime?
I'd like that.
I grin and nod backing away from the study nook.
I'll let you get back to studying, Anne. Talk to you later?
Oh yes, Max. Later.
I turn around and head back up the stairs to my room to think about what just happened.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh drat we got it right! Rad! Anne is also pretty great on this route :allears:

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Max: Vegemite's Final Task

Synopsis: Whoops! Looks like Dominic has finally stumbled upon Vegemite that everyone else in the house is trying to hide from Dominic. He's demanding Sally to get rid of the puppy or leave the Latin House. Should Max threaten to leave, or promise Dominic to help Sally with the puppy?

We'll help Sally with Vegemite.

This is bullshit and you know it Douchenic. We've had alcohol, we partied late, I can't think of a single rule on your stupid list we haven't broken.
Seriously- 'We've committed crimes, so just let us keep doing it' is not a defense! Why would you think it is?
It's not a federal prison, Dominic. It's a dorm. We're college kids. We're practically required to break the rules.
Not me.

What? No, that's not the poin...
I can take care of Vegemite just fine, thank you very much!
I'm not saying you can't, I'm just saying I'll make sure he stays out of trouble while you study. Come on Dom, you already know my grades are a waste. And that way you have nothing to concerned about.

Actually, Max, your grades are pretty decent - I wouldn't call them a waste. :allears:

That should rather neatly answer your concerns, Dominic.
Listen, you're not six and you don't get to keep him just because you promise to 'take him walkies every day'. He's not allowed!
Oh yes, if Max is keeping an extra eye on him, then it shouldn't be a problem at all.
It would be really useful to have an extra set of eyes on him. Yes, I think that fixes everything Max.
LISTEN TO ME!

Oh fine, do what you want. What am I? Just the RA. Who even cares?

The relationship increase with Anne only happens if you're at 70 or higher with her. Otherwise you only get Sally's.

Everyone but Dominic lets out a cheer at that.

I mean, I don't need a college education. When they kick me out I'm sure I'll find a very nice bridge to die under.
Oh stop being such a drama queen!

We all laugh as Sally puts Vegemite down on the carpet and finally lets him explore the house as freely as he wants.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Max: Why Anne?

Synopsis: Roxanne decides to stop by the Latin House to ask Max a very simple question: why did he choose Anne over Roxanne for the Prisoner's Dilemma project?

We've honestly been wanting to impress Anne....

I look away from Roxanne's gaze for a few moments.
Well, it sounds dumb but- I wanted to impress Anne. I know when we started this she was thinking she was going to have to carry me through the assignment. I wanted the chance to show her that I could hold my own, you know? That I could actually hack this sort of thing. I don't know how well I'm going to succeed at it, the studying thing I mean, but at least I tried. And I think I might be a better student for it, all things considered.
Roxanne scowls at my answer and looks away again. I guess she didn't like something in my answer.

I look over towards the stairs in surprise. Dominic and Anne are coming down the stairs, both with a bunch of papers in hand.
Evening Roxanne. Here's the assignment, do you need me to go over anything with you?
Yes, there are a few things I need clarification on. We should go somewhere quieter so as not to disturb these two.

Anne and Roxanne glare at each other for a few moments. Well, Anne glares, and Roxanne just stares in that icy way she does. Roxanne and Dominic head back upstairs looking over the assignment he'd given her.

Did you, uh... did you hear us?
Only a bit, really. Don't worry about it.
Finally with all the distracting people out of the way, it's time for Anne and I to get down to business.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Max: Sally's Awesome Riot

Synopsis: Sally is rioting outside the science building because she heard from an anonymous source that they were testing on animals, and Dominic asks Max to head over to try to defuse the situation. Should Max potentially worsen the situation by charging in with Sally, or heading back to the Latin House to do some research first?

Wait... wait, what? Something about this seems a little too odd. We'd better head on back and do some research on this before charging in. Back to the Latin House we go!

Look Sally, I"m not against you... but this all seems really weird and hasty. Let me look into this a little more. Maybe I can find something you can use against them, okay? Just promise not to charge in until I get back, all right?
... All right, fine. Just... hurry. I can't stand to think of those animals in trouble.
I run home with all my might, I know if I don't hurry, someone's going to do something stupid. As soon as I'm in the door, I hurry to Anne's room, pounding on the door.
Oh, hey Max. What's up?
Hey, Sally's protesting some sort of animal torture at the science building... but I think something funny is going on. Help me look this stuff up?
What? Why me?
Anne looks panicked, it's probably because I rushed up here all out of breath.
Sorry, Anne, it's just... you're pretty much the best researcher at this whole school. I couldn't think of anyone better to look into this than you!
Anne blushes cutely and then just gestures for me to come in.

This is... uh... bad. I'll explain in more detail at the end of this post.

You're such a charmer.
Once I've explained the situation, I watch Anne frantically typing her way through the college's message boards.
Let's see... here we go, found the original message! "Starting testing on animals today. I hate it. So much suffering, but it's all in the name of science. We've got the grant, better make use of it." What grant is this?
I watch her track through a few more sites, until she finally stops on an article and reads for a few moments, before slapping her palm to her face.
I know what the grant was for. Here, let me email you the article. Show it to Sally... I think it'll clear this up.
Anne sighs as she's just read something really stupid. I thank her for her help and rush out the door. Back at the protest, I can see I'm just in time. Up in front of the door to the science building I can see Sally bullying a short guy with glasses who seems to be from the science building. He seems familiar, but I can't place him right now.
This is your last chance, Butch, come clean about your hideous experiments!
I'm telling you, there are no 'hideous experiments' in here. Everything in here is perfectly safe and approved.
Oh like I'm going to believe you when there's suffering going on!
Actually Sally...
Oh, Max, come on, let's force this little weasel to open up!
Before she can say another word, I shove the article into her hands. She looks at me inquisitively, but starts reading it.

Butch leans over the paper, and nods in understanding.

Oh, yeah, that would pretty much explain what's going on in there. You can, uh, you can see why we don't want to discuss it...

Sally turns red as a beet, and then turns to the audience with her megaphone up.

:allears:

She then drops the microphone and walks off, whispering a quiet 'Thanks' to me as she passes me.

I should get my hands on that gadget that seems to randomly switch between a megaphone and a microphone.

I hope she gets over this... her heart was in the right place, but... oh well. Butch scratches his head, equally embarrassed and just wanders back into the building. For my part, I hurry after Sally. Maybe I'll treat her to lunch.

I'm sure a couple of you may have already realized this earlier, but simply put it's Spring Break but we have failed to meet the 100 relationship AND 150 Organized requirements to have a successful Spring Break with Anne. The latter was a mistake on my part - I tried to switch around the weekly planner to have just Organized jobs to see if it could at least reach 150, but it missed the mark just barely.

We were also supposed to hang out with Anne at the Welcoming Party way back then and an unique event which will help our push to 100 will only open up if you've attained 150 Organized and work at the Physics job which we did not.

Long story short, we gotta do Max - Anne all over again!... well, not literally. I'll just have to start over on my own to get back up to this point with the proper skills trained and exactly 100 relationship to finish this LP properly.

...boy, been a while since I used the rewind template, huh?!

Sketchie fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 10, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah this is the reason I don't like stats in VNs. They take a choose-your-own adventure approach and railroad it with filler bullshit. It's just busy work, it doesn't even add anything. It's okay in something like Loren, since that game is part RPG and your stats are fairly decoupled from the plot, but when your stats AFFECT the plot, well...

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah this is the reason I don't like stats in VNs. They take a choose-your-own adventure approach and railroad it with filler bullshit. It's just busy work, it doesn't even add anything. It's okay in something like Loren, since that game is part RPG and your stats are fairly decoupled from the plot, but when your stats AFFECT the plot, well...

I'm having a really great time with you, Max.
Me too. You're pretty cool.
By the way, you got a 98 on the last test, right?
Huh? I think it was a 96...
Oh... sorry, this just isn't going to work out. We're through.
Wha?

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Max: Smarty Pants Anne, Part 1

I went back and redid Max - Anne from the beginning and chose all the right decisions. Max is currently at 149 Organized, 144 Rational and at 95, relationship-wise, with Anne. All we have to do is pick the right choice to bump it into 100 before the Spring Break. Let's get to it!

This event will only trigger if you work at the Librarian job in the middle of the week (I actually missed this the first time around since I had him assigned to the Office Clerk job in the middle of the week when the unique event was supposed to trigger... who knew!) when your relationship with Anne is very high and you've given her her Valentine's present.

Thanks. It's because of your training, I'm sure. You're a born librarian.
Ha! I don't know about that. Though I do like it. I think I might work on a degree in this. I think that would be a lot of fun.

Should Max tell Anne she's too smart for this stuff or decide to tease her a little bit by telling her she's got the shushing part down?

Sketchie fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 7, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Uhhh...hmm. Tell her she's smarter and can do better, I guess?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Well, it seems like the more natural response would be You're way smarter than this, since the "shushing" thing sounds like an insult, but with this game, you never know which option is right...

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Well, you've got shushing down. Given how this game treats these things if you pick the first one Max will go "that's a stupid idea, all librarians are stupid and you're not" and Anne will get mad that he's insulting her prospective career.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Max: Smarty Pants Anne, Part 2

She's really smart and she decides that she would be far better off as a librarian? Really?

Come on Anne, you could do way better than a stuffy librarian. You could be an astronaut or something awesome with your brains. Not holed up with a bunch of musty books.
... Max, you realize I love musty old books, right? Seriously, it's like you're not even paying attention.

Uh...

REWIND TIME!

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Max: Smarty Pants Anne, Part 2 Rewind

Shhh! Don't talk so loud in the library, young man!

You're clearly a shoe-in. You've got the tools of the trade down. Plus, I'm sure you'll have tons of young men suddenly very interested in reading...
Don't be gross, Max.
What? With your inclusive, insightful and clever outreach programs. Are you saying you're not smart enough to put one together?

Uh, Max, I wouldn't - :psyduck:

Mm hmm... I know exactly the kind of outreach you're hoping for and if that hand comes any closer to my butt you're organizing the microfiche the rest of the week.

quote:

A microfiche is a card made of transparent film used to store printed information in miniaturized form. To read the card, a user places it under the lens of a reader machine, which magnifies it greatly. The thinness and small size of the film enables it to be stored very easily and efficiently, allowing libraries, museums and businesses to increase their resource collections without the need for additional storage space.
You learn something new everyday! Thanks, professor Anne!

I pull my hand back and whistle innocently. She's not buying it, but she's also grinning. I'll take a break even.

NOW that's better. We've barely just met the Organized (150) requirement, but we're already more than set for Rational (100) and Grades (250). All Max needs to do is study a little more to get 500 Grade, get Rational to 200 in a couple of weeks or so, and focus on Organized and he's all set for the best ending as long as we keep our relationship with Anne at 100.

It's time for the Spring Break!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Sketchie posted:

REWIND TIME!

Yeah, not shocked. It pretty much came down to figuring out which option was less of an insult.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
:psyduck:

Ok then :downs:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seriously the wrong option is way more supportive.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Ugh.

As it may be obvious to most of you, I'm very, very, rapidly losing interest in working on this LP - I've bitten off way more than I could chew (I was never intending to do more than 2 playthroughs!) and I just don't feel it's fair for you guys to wait so long for it to be finished (I mean, it started in April 2014. It's 2016 now!!).

However, I've learned a lot from doing this LP. One, it does really demand a lot of your time and patience to do, and you need to be really passionate about it to see it to the end. I'm afraid I was not THAT passionate about it after a certain point, and juggling 3 jobs does not really warrant that much time for me to devote to the LP.

To finish this LP off, I'm going to put up only the full Anne - Isabella and Max - Rakesh playthroughs and encourage people to check out the rest of the visual novel itself on their own.

Again, I am deeply sorry to announce the cancellation of the LP. I also want to thank the last few people for sticking around.

Thank you!

~Sketchie

Sketchie fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 3, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dude don't feel bad you went above and beyond for this. Just archive what you got done. No worries :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Dude don't feel bad you went above and beyond for this. Just archive what you got done. No worries :)
Thank you for your kind words.

How does one achieve a LP anyway? Nevermind I'm blind

Sketchie fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 3, 2016

• Locked thread