Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Original Sin is the new Marvel event put together by Jason Aaron and Mike Deodato. Infinity just broke the streak of terrible events--

Sorry, let me do that again.

Infinity just broke the streak of terrible Marvel events. Aaron has a chance of making this work even with Deodato just taking picture of his action figures and running them through a filter. This week we got Original Sin #0, which was about Nova (the one who convinced Tony Stark to create the Ultimates) hanging around the Watcher and watching him watch stuff. Said stuff included a world where Venom was in the New Fantastic Four. That sounds loving rad as hell, but instead of that we get comics about Arcade checking out his YouTube hits while surrounded by condoms. It's still a sweet prelude issue with a great ending.

Original Sin is about Uatu the Watcher getting killed and having his eyes torn out. He has magic eyes, you see. He's seen everything that's ever happened on Earth. Captain America punching guys, Johnny Storm rubbing one out, every single XFL game, everything. This is basically the cosmic version of wiping out your browser history. Why did they do it? To keep something a secret? Pissed off that he refused to interfere for the betterment of mankind? Or did they just want his giant eyes and the information that comes with it? Hell, who has the juice to take out a guy capable of standing up to Galactus while sneaking up on a guy who sees all?

It's a big mystery and all your favorites are getting involved. Nick Fury, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Black Widow, SuperPro, Thing, etc. are on the case. You also get Dr. Strange and the Punisher working together, which is weird as hell. Why does Frank Castle give a poo poo about Cosmic Fudd? Extra weird when you remember that a few months ago, Castle was tasked with killing Dr. Strange and was totally cool with it.

Of course, this wouldn't be an event without countless tie-ins. Uatu's eyes are going to spill so many beans because what good is a comic company's status quo if the heroes don't hate each other for terrible acts that they'll forgive each other for in two years? Deadpool is going to find out about how he probably killed his parents as a kid. Blade will remember how ridiculous he looked back in the 70's. Captain America will remember that the Illuminati wiped his mind and be very cross with them because there aren't enough Identity Crisis similarities here. At least it'll be better than when they came out with that lovely miniseries that ripped off Usual Suspects and threw "Identity" in the title to capitalize on DC's big story back in the day.

Ever read Identity Disc? Don't. It's the worst.

As the Eye of Agomatto sinks down into Dr. Strange's testicles, the speculation of the killer builds without the first issue even coming out. Is it Jason Aaron recurring villain the Orb? He has an eyeball for a head and that's pretty topical! Ant-Man? Probably not, but gently caress him for guilt-tripping Uatu over his daughter's death that one time. Black Bolt? In Earth X he tore out Uatu's eyeballs as part of his plan to spread the Terrigen Mists across the world. Janet Van Dyne? She's the ex-wife of a smart, shrinky guy. Gorilla Man? He hasn't shown up in a while and I miss him. Beatrix Kiddo? Rom Spaceknight? Colonel Mustard? Access? Penry the mild mannered jan-i-tor?

I guess we'll find out in several months.

Oh yeah, and Iron Man and Uatu recently found the dead body of the Living Tribunal in space and it hasn't been brought up since. That's probably pretty important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I'm always mad that Marvel won't do another Wha Huh!? It was just comics gossip in-jokes but it was fun. I'm hoping that Aaron can do something good with this event in spite of being stuck with Deodato on art and trying to do something with a dropped Brubaker concept from years ago.

On talk for #0 I liked it as a bonus Nova issue (especially with Roxon being reduced to just Scooby Doo villains) but man was it weird. Years of Uata just being a dick or crazy or well boring Uata and then just a dump an issue of "well he doesn't like his job and he misses his Dad so feel bad when we graphically murder him in the next issue".

It's a shame that none of the alternate universe he studies has a How To Stop People Stealing Your Eyeballs Plan.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kinda makes you wonder where the whole FF thing of him having a baby momma and a baby watcher is gonna be brought up. Plus he was like super chatty in that run.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

On talk for #0 I liked it as a bonus Nova issue (especially with Roxon being reduced to just Scooby Doo villains) but man was it weird. Years of Uata just being a dick or crazy or well boring Uata and then just a dump an issue of "well he doesn't like his job and he misses his Dad so feel bad when we graphically murder him in the next issue".

I'm going to feel bad regardless. Not just because I'm What If Fan #1, but because I genuinely feel that Uatu is a fascinating and likeable character. Years back, Christopher Bird did a write-up about Phantom Stranger that more or less explained why I like Uatu:

"The reason the Phantom Stranger is great is because he is the elemental expression of something we all, deep down, want to believe is true (even if we don’t), and that is that the universe gives a poo poo about us."

Uatu isn't supposed to interfere, but he does. He's compelled to. He knows it's against his people's will and he knows that it's not his place as a Watcher, but drat it, he loves the human race too much that he needs to do something.

In other words, gently caress Alex Ross for Earth X Watcher.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

I'm going to feel bad regardless. Not just because I'm What If Fan #1, but because I genuinely feel that Uatu is a fascinating and likeable character. Years back, Christopher Bird did a write-up about Phantom Stranger that more or less explained why I like Uatu:

"The reason the Phantom Stranger is great is because he is the elemental expression of something we all, deep down, want to believe is true (even if we don’t), and that is that the universe gives a poo poo about us."

Uatu isn't supposed to interfere, but he does. He's compelled to. He knows it's against his people's will and he knows that it's not his place as a Watcher, but drat it, he loves the human race too much that he needs to do something.

In other words, gently caress Alex Ross for Earth X Watcher.

Haha. I have a feeling that there will be a new Watcher by the end of this. There is his wife and kid, so there will always be a Watcher.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They should bring back Uravo from Jeff Parker's Red Hulk run.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So are people all going to start buying new avatars with their pick for the murderer like they did during Identity Crisis?

I won't, but maybe someone more interesting should.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It was Doom. He wanted find out what bullies called Richards as a kid and post them on FaceDoom. :doom:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

So are people all going to start buying new avatars with their pick for the murderer like they did during Identity Crisis?

Did anyone guess right?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I don't know how anyone possibly could have.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

Random guessing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It actually does sound pretty stupid to ask, in hindsight.

Maybe the Watcher's killer will end up being a minor, out of the way character too. Carlie Cooper? Willie Lumpkin?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Stiltman saw pacific rim and accidentally kicked Uatu in the face with his newest stilts.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I hope Wanda did it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Endless Mike posted:

Random guessing.
The field of characters to randomly guess before the actual killer is vast, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

The field of characters to randomly guess before the actual killer is vast, though.
There's a finite number of characters in Identity Crisis and given that most of those avatars were joke guesses, anyway, it's pretty likely someone just made a Jean Loring avatar because who would have ever guess that she decided to scare her best friend by shrinking into her ear with a flamethrower?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It will be the hate monger

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
So I just kind of grabbed #0 today on a whim. I just started reading comics, and have mostly only gone through collections of DC/Vertigo stuff so far. My knowledge of the marvel universe consists pretty much entirely of stuff I've seen in movies.

that said, I really enjoyed whatever it was that I just read. Avengers showing up to chill out with a pretty cool super suit kid. Weird quiet watching dude who's really intriguing. Crazy comicbooky multiverse energy all over the drat place. I'm going to keep reading this. Is there anything I really need to know, read or understand to get what's going on here? I gather that this story is going to be somehow related to something else, like a reboot - is that correct?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A_Ruse! posted:

So I just kind of grabbed #0 today on a whim. I just started reading comics, and have mostly only gone through collections of DC/Vertigo stuff so far. My knowledge of the marvel universe consists pretty much entirely of stuff I've seen in movies.

that said, I really enjoyed whatever it was that I just read. Avengers showing up to chill out with a pretty cool super suit kid. Weird quiet watching dude who's really intriguing. Crazy comicbooky multiverse energy all over the drat place. I'm going to keep reading this. Is there anything I really need to know, read or understand to get what's going on here? I gather that this story is going to be somehow related to something else, like a reboot - is that correct?

No. The watcher is just there to watch an not get involved but he always does. He also used to host a comic called what if which is where the multiverse energy comes from. It seems the everything you need to know will be told to you.

There is no reboot in fact this will be characters finding poo poo out

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

bobkatt013 posted:

No. The watcher is just there to watch an not get involved but he always does. He also used to host a comic called what if which is where the multiverse energy comes from. It seems the everything you need to know will be told to you.

There is no reboot in fact this will be characters finding poo poo out

Cool - thanks man. I think seeing people discuss the What If connection is what fooled me into thinking something was being rebooted or retold. I'm pretty excited to follow this story in real time. I'll probably post annoying marvel baby comments in here, after each release. Be excited.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Marvel/DC Baby comments are never annoying because new people reading comics is a good thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

A_Ruse! posted:

Cool - thanks man. I think seeing people discuss the What If connection is what fooled me into thinking something was being rebooted or retold. I'm pretty excited to follow this story in real time. I'll probably post annoying marvel baby comments in here, after each release. Be excited.

If you have any questions ask them and we will either answer them or send you to a thread where they can answer it for you. Welcome to the marvel universe. Hope you survive the experience.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Uatu's gonna gaze into the wrong universe and get killed by some alternate version of Paste Pot Pete whose power is killing everyone that lays eyes on him.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Age of Ultron gave the Marvel universe Angela, this is going to add Kid Miracleman to the Marvel universe as the killer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

Age of Ultron gave the Marvel universe Angela, this is going to add Kid Miracleman to the Marvel universe as the killer.

It was not Hulk at the YMCA but Kid Miracleman.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm thinking Malekith the Accursed as the murderer. He likes taking off people's body parts.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't know how anything about Identity Crisis could come out right.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Is there some thread in archives about Identity Crisis? I feel like reactions to the killer were probably magical.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Is there some thread in archives about Identity Crisis? I feel like reactions to the killer were probably magical.

Wasn't it identity crisis the reason why bss was created?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah. There should be an IDC thread archived or goldmined somewhere.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I bet it was Captain Marvel, in the Conservatory, with the Flamethrower.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

That and Mallrats Thing's thing conversations started popping up.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

Did anyone guess right?

I'm pretty sure nobody guessed right via avatar use, but one person did suggest the idea once in the thread.

Meanwhile, here are some What If issues I noticed in Watcher's screens in Original Sin #0:

- What If Spider-Man Joined the Fantastic Four?
- What If Jane Foster Found the Hammer of Thor?
- What If Nick Fury Fought World War II in Space?
- What If Dr. Doom Became the Thing?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't know how anything about Identity Crisis could come out right.

The murderer could have been Sue Dibny. It turns out she killed Earth-2 Sue who was also pregnant with Starro.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 25, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I bet it was Captain Marvel, in the Conservatory, with the Flamethrower.

It was Eyeboy, after he snapped and decided that no one else should have eyes but him.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

If this means more awesome sock puppets like from way back when then yes please. I miss that Sgt. Rock sock puppet.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Jiro posted:

If this means more awesome sock puppets like from way back when then yes please. I miss that Sgt. Rock sock puppet.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Here's the original 169 page Identity Crisis thread (for those with archives)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Here's the original 169 page Identity Crisis thread (for those with archives)

169 pages for one event, holy crap. Those really were different times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

169 pages for one event, holy crap. Those really were different times.
tbf I think it originated in GBS, BSS was created while Identity Crisis was running.

• Locked thread