Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Starsnostars posted:

She can still be an angel, the teaser says "the tenth realm" and maybe that's where all the angels hang out.

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if they went the Thor route of "well they are super advanced aliens with people have confused/accepted as Gods/Angels/Whatever".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know nothing about Angela except what I've read in Guardians and her being Asgardian makes sense and is something I think is cool. I mean I was aware of her existing before but I never read Spawn and don't care about any of her history there. So being Asgardian is cool with me.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Peter's relationship with that spider will never be the same again.

Wasn't there a mini-series about a bully who ate the Spider or something? I'm not sure how 'canon' it is, though, I think it was in Tangled Web.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, it's basically the only thing that makes sense. Marvel doesn't explicitly use Judeo-Christian cosmology like Spawn (kinda) does, and the closest thing is Asgard, so... yeah.

I just really have a hard time believing it actually was what they had planned from the start. I get the impression Marvel thought people would care about her because she's a Gaiman creation (remember the bait and switch with him him "co-plotting" GotG #1?) but the reality is that nobody cares about a loving Spawn character in 2014 so they're going to shuffle her around until they find something that works.

I'm not saying the character is ruined by being (partially) Asgardian or anything, just that it would take a lot of convincing for me to believe that really was their plan the whole time.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
E: Ignore me

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Odin the All-Fatherer.

Also, between the Terrigen Mists being released on Earth and now Uatu being blinded (and, well, dead), how is this not countdown to Earth X? Who knows, maybe the next secret is that Wolverine is related to Moon Boy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Waterhaul posted:

ORIGINALLY POSTED IN THE OTHER MARVEL THREAD WHERE THEY RECAPPED PROMO MATERIAL ABOUT ORIGINAL SIN.

We have an Original Sin thread.

(And promo stuff isn't spoilers)

Speaking of promos, I was thinking about Fear Itself and I think that the Promos for the event are systematic with what's wrong with FI as a crossover.

(NB: This is not a post to bitch about Events in general or how Original Sin is going to suck because of Fear Itself. I've got a point here, bear in mind.)

Here's what I mean.I didn't get Fear Itself when it came out, as at that stage I decided to just Trade Wait for all the events.
All that being said, I was following FI due to the promos and the build up to the event. And the build up made it look great.

You had all these question marks about the Worthy, who were they, what was there deal, why are characters fighting to become Worthy? And then later on you had similar things with the Mighty.

And you also had these fantastic "Do You Fear?" promos.

And they were great, they were individually tailored to the big Marvel properties (Hulk, Spider-Man, Cyclops, Cap, Ironman and Thor.) But in each case they actually cut to the core of the character. Each one said something about fitted the person. How Hulk fears losing control, how Cyclops should fear how he's become Magneto, how Spider-Man fears dealing with a problem that is much bigger than him.
It also made the event seem like it would involve characters having to confront what they fear and dealing with a challenge that was unique to themselves, what they Feared the most.

Then when I got the Trades and read it? Nope!
Much like how Secret Invasion could have been a BSG style story about heroes losing trust in each other and having to deal with betrayals and sleeper agents, Fear Itself didn't have anyone facing what they feared.
And it also seemed to have no complexity to it. I read the main series Trade, and I kept feeling that I was missing out on really important comics that fleshed out the story. Like Sin just somehow gets a huge army of Nazi's armed with mechs after like two panels showing these suits get built. A lot of the Worthy were just "guy walks up to the hammer/ is compelled to pick it up and suddenly they are an evil God." Major events start happening around the world and all seems doomed? Who was the Serpent and what was his deal? What the hell was up with the Mighty and the weapons that Iron-Man made for them?

And then I decided that I must have been missing stuff and so I started to double down. I read the Loki, Journey Into Mystery stuff and that at least sort of explained stuff (particularly about the Serpent.) But then I read the X-Men and Thunderbolts stuff to figure out what was happening with Juggernaught. Yeah some stuff, but very little.
I went to read up on the Hulk and eh, nothing really got explained.
And it seemed that the more I tried to find out what happened, the more disappointed and the less sense it made.
I decided to quit before reading any of the Iron-Man stuff. Like that might have been where all the answers I was seeking lay, but I doubt it.

Anyway, long story short. The promos for the Event were so good that they created a really interesting story in my head, that the actual event didn't even come close to matching.
I'm just going to try and avoid similar material for Original Sin in the hopes that it doesn't overhype the event. Especially since the Waid written Issue 0 was really good and makes me want to follow up on the Sam/Nova plot line.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

First Bass posted:

Odin the All-Fatherer.

Also, between the Terrigen Mists being released on Earth and now Uatu being blinded (and, well, dead), how is this not countdown to Earth X? Who knows, maybe the next secret is that Wolverine is related to Moon Boy.

Jason Aaron already had Wolverine become the leader of Moon Boys people in Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine. You never know, Wolvie might be his own great X1,000 grandfather.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The reveal of Angela being their long lost sister better happen after Thor or Loki hits on her.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Perhaps that's why Loki looks like he's been through the wringer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if they went the Thor route of "well they are super advanced aliens with people have confused/accepted as Gods/Angels/Whatever".

Aren't the Asgardians supposed to be actual gods these days? Like, I know the whole super-advanced-aliens thing was their deal for a long long time and it apparently is in the movies, but I thought current comic Thor is a god.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Aren't the Asgardians supposed to be actual gods these days? Like, I know the whole super-advanced-aliens thing was their deal for a long long time and it apparently is in the movies, but I thought current comic Thor is a god.

What is the difference between super advanced aliens and gods.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Senor Candle posted:

Righto. When you have a guy flying around eating planets, and an entire race of enormous, city-high unspeaking monolith men, what does it matter if the fat guy with armor is a "god".

This, too, pales in the face of folks like Legion, Scarlett Witch and a host of mutants that can reshape the laws of nature.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senor Candle posted:

Thor hearing a prayer from a girl on a far off alien world is what starts the first arc of God of Thunder, and the rest of the story arc shows that they are definitely not just aliens. There are countless other pantheons and "god" is a thing separate from mortals.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Thor hearing a prayer from a girl on a far off alien world is what starts the first arc of God of Thunder, and the rest of the story arc shows that they are definitely not just aliens. There are countless other pantheons and "god" is a thing separate from mortals.

Not to forget Gillen's Journey Into Mystery run (and Al Ewing's Loki: Agent of Asguard) where characters are stories that can be rewritten or changed to suit a motivation. Or how they can die and come back with seemingly no recourse, as long as it furthers their tale.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WickedHate posted:

You just listed something Thor can do, not why that means he is a god and not an alien.

The Question IRL posted:

Not to forget Gillen's Journey Into Mystery run (and Al Ewing's Loki: Agent of Asguard) where characters are stories that can be rewritten or changed to suit a motivation. Or how they can die and come back with seemingly no recourse, as long as it furthers their tale.

You are describing all characters in comics.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

You just listed something Thor can do, not why that means he is a god and not an alien.

Because prayer is talked about as being a tangible thing that has benefits. Thor hears and answers the prayer of an alien girl at the start of the arc. By the end of the arc, every God through out all of time is Praying to Thor to give him the strength to defeat a bomb that travels backwards through Time killing every God that ever existed.

quote:

You are describing all characters in comics.

Except the characters in universe recognize and accept this.
This isn't like Deadpool looking at the reader and saying that he'll be back next month.

This is Loki and Leah deciding that the only way to make the Serpent a beatable character is to go back in time and establish that he once loved a girl and that he has a small chink in his heart. And that it is all done from the point of view that they are changing his story by fleshing out his origin and making him from into less of a force of nature and more of a character.

The Gods in Marvel have just gone from being Humanoids with flesh three times as dense as humans to being myths made real.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

The Question IRL posted:

Because prayer is talked about as being a tangible thing that has benefits. Thor hears and answers the prayer of an alien girl at the start of the arc. By the end of the arc, every God through out all of time is Praying to Thor to give him the strength to defeat a bomb that travels backwards through Time killing every God that ever existed.

That's still just listing something a set of beings can do, God is a very nebulous term in writing. Thor and other Gods aren't the only comic characters that feed/are empowered by thoughts and feelings directed at them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

That's still just listing something a set of beings can do, God is a very nebulous term in writing. Thor and other Gods aren't the only comic characters that feed/are empowered by thoughts and feelings directed at them.

Well, how do you define god? Omnipotent creators of the universe they are not, but the gods on Thor's level are overseers of the universe, usually each with a particular aspect they embody, and they hear prayers. They call themselves gods and are separated into pantheons. That's pretty different from, say, a Skrull crashlanding on Earth and turning into a spider, and oh that's how we got the legend of Arachne.

The movies go more for the "they're just aliens" way of it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

WickedHate posted:

Well, how do you define god?

If you listen carefully you can hear the sound of every writer on the planet disagreeing with each other.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

Well, how do you define god?

I do not know but I will when I see it.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
As for who killed the Watcher, I think that a future cover gives it away:

http://www.comicbookcritic.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ORIGSIN2014003-Tedesco-1bc87.jpg

Isn't that Midas from the Marvel Boy series from years back?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

E the Shaggy posted:

http://www.comicbookcritic.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ORIGSIN2014003-Tedesco-1bc87.jpg

Huh, yeah. Oubliette is featured in some of the preview art too.

SMP
May 5, 2009

E the Shaggy posted:

Is that Gamora, Moon Knight and the Winter Soldier teaming up? :aaaaa:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Is that Moon Knight on the moon? :3:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SMP posted:

Is that Gamora, Moon Knight and the Winter Soldier teaming up? :aaaaa:

I don't care how bad this event will be, I gotta have that book just for that combo.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I don't care how bad this event will be, I gotta have that book just for that combo.

That's the best part of this, all these insane team ups. Marvel should do this more often.

Can't wait to read the Punisher/Strange buddy cop team up.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

E the Shaggy posted:

And is that the the Mark I wearing a trench coat?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Aphrodite posted:

Another Spider-Man doesn't seem like particularly interesting territory when there's already been so much cloning.

Have we ever got an official status of Miles in the 616? I sort of wonder if they might try to work him in as sort of a Spider-Man version of Blade's origin or something through this lady if it's been enough years since Peter was bitten by the spider (Would 12-14 years of in-universe time sound about right?)

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Is that Moon Knight on the moon? :3:

Or, as he's known on the moon, just "Knight"

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 28, 2014

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

Or, as he's known on the moon, just "Knight"

On his world, it means "questionable sanity".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

Have we ever got an official status of Miles in the 616? I sort of wonder if they might try to work him in as sort of a Spider-Man version of Blade's origin or something through this lady if it's been enough years since Peter was bitten by the spider (Would 12-14 years of in-universe time sound about right?)

Bendis is writing the Spider-Men sequel this year, so we'll see what 616 Miles is then.

I'm also enjoying the wacky team-ups that Original Sin is giving.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The big reveal of Original Sin will be that 616 Miles Morales was Uatu! BUM BUM BUM!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

E the Shaggy posted:

She's seen captured by the Avengers in some of the preview art.

Trust Aaron to use a Marvel event to try and fix all terrible changes Bendis did to Marvel Boy and their supporting cast :allears:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's going to turn out the spider bit Jessica Drew, and everyone is going to have a good laugh and "I told you so!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

616 Miles is actually Miley Morales!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

First Bass posted:

And is that the the Mark I wearing a trench coat?

"Hmmm...I can't let anyone know I'm Iron Man." *Throws on trench coat* "There. That should do it. Now no one will recognize the guy with the metal face that smells like motor oil. I'm off!" *CLANG!**CLANG!**CLANG!**CLANG!**CLANG!*

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, Tony Stark went incognito once just by shaving, and all of AIM didn't notice.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

"Hmmm...I can't let anyone know I'm Iron Man." *Throws on trench coat* "There. That should do it. Now no one will recognize the guy with the metal face that smells like motor oil. I'm off!" *CLANG!**CLANG!**CLANG!**CLANG!**CLANG!*

As if that isn't a brilliant plan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is a costume from Marvel Heroes for Thing, called Thing Incognito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lot of people around here that haven't read Marvel Boy :colbert:

• Locked thread