Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

Odin is currently dead, but he does only have 1 eye.

Gatts posted:

Wait...Odin is still dead? Was this from Ragnarok? So is Balder still ruling Asgard or is that Thor?

Odin's not actually dead; he's in (self-imposed?) exile after the events of Fear Itself. With Asgard currently hovering over Oklahoma as the city of Asgardia, Odin is currently hanging out in the space where Asgard used to be, keeping vigil over the Serpent (the main baddie of Fear Itself).

He was shown very briefly in said space in Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder as he prayed for his son to defeat Gorr the God-Butcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Odin also appeared in Uncanny Avengers after Earth blew up and basically told Thor poo poo sucks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gatts posted:

Wait...Odin is still dead? Was this from Ragnarok? So is Balder still ruling Asgard or is that Thor?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Odin's not actually dead; he's in (self-imposed?) exile after the events of Fear Itself. With Asgard currently hovering over Oklahoma as the city of Asgardia, Odin is currently hanging out in the space where Asgard used to be, keeping vigil over the Serpent (the main baddie of Fear Itself).

He was shown very briefly in said space in Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder as he prayed for his son to defeat Gorr the God-Butcher.

That's what I was thinking of. I just knew he wasn't in charge of Asgard since Fear Itself, and my PTSD related to that event causes some gaps in my memory.

But he definitely only has one eye.

His three wives are ruling Asgard.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 11, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a reason Dr. Midas dresses like Iron Man from the '60s? Also, for all the crazy and campy bullshit I've seen in comics over the years, I'm sort of stuck in a quantum superposition of loving and hating Nick Fury just taking everyone to the moon in a flying car that bears an eerie resemblance to the one Coulson flies/drives in the S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show. I mean, it's awesome in its sheer ridiculousness, but then again, it would have to be the Magic loving Schoolbus to do that.

Anyways, the Strange/Castle team-up I'm looking forward to. The Lang/Frost pairing? Not so much. Also, wasn't Uatu married with a wife and kid? Is the Fulcrum going to make an appearance; the death of a Watcher must be pretty serious poo poo. And with Uatu dead, who the hell is going to curate the What If? stories now!?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

First Bass posted:

Is there a reason Dr. Midas dresses like Iron Man from the '60s? Also, for all the crazy and campy bullshit I've seen in comics over the years, I'm sort of stuck in a quantum superposition of loving and hating Nick Fury just taking everyone to the moon in a flying car that bears an eerie resemblance to the one Coulson flies/drives in the S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show. I mean, it's awesome in its sheer ridiculousness, but then again, it would have to be the Magic loving Schoolbus to do that.

Anyways, the Strange/Castle team-up I'm looking forward to. The Lang/Frost pairing? Not so much. Also, wasn't Uatu married with a wife and kid? Is the Fulcrum going to make an appearance; the death of a Watcher must be pretty serious poo poo. And with Uatu dead, who the hell is going to curate the What If? stories now!?

The flying classic sports car thing is an old SHIELD standby. Captain America gets chauffeured around in one at the start of Brubaker's run, (same looking red one). I'm not an expert on SHIELD history, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was from Steranko's Nick Fury series from way back in the day or something similar.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

First Bass posted:

Midas' thing is that he's a collector and one of the things he collected was the Iron Man suit Tony was wearing when he founded the Avengers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

First Bass posted:

Is there a reason Dr. Midas dresses like Iron Man from the '60s?

Dude really wanted super powers so he got his hands on one of the original Iron Man suits. He also exposed himself to cosmic rays, but all that did was gently caress him up. He's kind of meant to represent the classic Marvel while Marvel Boy is the future of Marvel.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Skwirl posted:

The flying classic sports car thing is an old SHIELD standby. Captain America gets chauffeured around in one at the start of Brubaker's run, (same looking red one). I'm not an expert on SHIELD history, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was from Steranko's Nick Fury series from way back in the day or something similar.
Close, it's from the very first Nick Fury Strange Tales issue, actually. (I just started reading them recently.)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

First Bass posted:

I mean, it's awesome in its sheer ridiculousness, but then again, it would have to be the Magic loving Schoolbus to do that.

With Disney buying them out they could entirely justify putting that show in 616 canon, the teacher is an agent gone AWOL that's making sure project M.A.G.I.C.B.U.S. is safe. Basically, after the show, those kids started going on field trips to destroy A.I.M. island.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

muscles like this? posted:

Midas' thing is that he's a collector and one of the things he collected was the Iron Man suit Tony was wearing when he founded the Avengers.

Midas also appeared in a 90's Iron-man story way back in the day. It was one that involved Ultron being behind Tony's evil Sentient armour and a city of people all devoted to Yin-Sen (the guy who helped Tony build the first Iron-man suit.)

As far as I can remember, the plot involved Midas saving Yin-Sen's brain in exchange for some tech.

Edit: From looking it up, all of it went down in Iron-Man Annual 2000. And from reading a synopsis, the villain was Wong Chu (the yellow peril villain from the first Iron-Man story who was still alive) and Dr. Midas traveld through time to help them out.

Ultron did show up in a later story involving the Sons of Yin-Sen, but not in the same appearance as Dr. Midas.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Have we ever had a general idea of how strong Watcher is? He clearly saw his killer so it wasn't an out and out surprise attack.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
He's less powerful than Red Hulk.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It was Ghost Rider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8ob0BAkOs

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

"Feel the torment of a billion billion...extinguished souls. Experience the pain...ofeternalguilt."

Ghost Rider sounds like a teenage goth William Shatner in that and it's so much better then the cliche demon voice they are usually portrayed with.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

goldenoreos posted:

Odin also appeared in Uncanny Avengers after Earth blew up and basically told Thor poo poo sucks.

Dad's are great aren't they?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

"Feel the torment of a billion billion...extinguished souls. Experience the pain...ofeternalguilt."

Ghost Rider sounds like a teenage goth William Shatner in that and it's so much better then the cliche demon voice they are usually portrayed with.

The greatest compliment Richard Grieco has ever received.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

With Disney buying them out they could entirely justify putting that show in 616 canon, the teacher is an agent gone AWOL that's making sure project M.A.G.I.C.B.U.S. is safe. Basically, after the show, those kids started going on field trips to destroy A.I.M. island.

"At my old school, they never let me storm a heavily fortified island lair."

*Snipes an enemy agent*
"I guess these guys needed better A.I.M."
:rolleyes:"Carlos!" :rolleyes:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The killer is Mickey Mouse possessed by Mephisto.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

coconono posted:

The killer is Mickey Mouse possessed by Mephisto.

And later it discovered Xanatos who just used them to get the eyes for himself so he can get deeper into the Illuminati.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The big splash for Original Sin bothers me, we all know Doop is without sin.

And Holy poo poo Avengers 29!!

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
What exactly happened in Avengers 29? Original Sin 0 got me started on monthly floppy comics, and I grabbed 29 today because it's a "tie in" - some cool stuff happened, but I didn't really understand it all. Cap's mad at Tony Stark for trying to make a super-weapon that destroys alternate universes because doing that saves the main universe, maybe? I totally understand why Captain America would take a moral stand against ultimate destructive power, but I'm not exactly sure what Stark was up to in the first place. And also one time Cap used the infinity gauntlet on like . . . a moon? What was that about?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There's almost a year of stuff to catch up on for Avengers, I would recommend asking the Avengers thread.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Basically one of the members of the Illuminati stumbled on an incursion event and found the multiverse were collapsing on themselves, with Earth as the epicenter. They formed the rest of the Illuminati to deal with this, and kept it secret so that the world wouldn't go into a panic about it. Their second "incursion" was what you saw, where they used in Infinity Gantlet to destroy the other planet, and lost the gems at the same time.

Steven didn't like going by force, and knew they would one day build weapons "just in case" and then be forced to use them. Since the alternative is to hold to your principles and let the universe be destroyed, the rest of the group voted him out, and had his memory erased so they could carry on. They haven't destroyed a planet yet, or at least not one that had life on it still, so they're still morally grey in a way. But over in New Avengers, they're about to fight a planet that not only has life, but basically has the Justice League on it.

Avengers and New Avengers are pretty awesome, and New Avengers mostly deals with the incursions if you want to read more about it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A_Ruse! posted:

What exactly happened in Avengers 29? Original Sin 0 got me started on monthly floppy comics, and I grabbed 29 today because it's a "tie in" - some cool stuff happened, but I didn't really understand it all. Cap's mad at Tony Stark for trying to make a super-weapon that destroys alternate universes because doing that saves the main universe, maybe? I totally understand why Captain America would take a moral stand against ultimate destructive power, but I'm not exactly sure what Stark was up to in the first place. And also one time Cap used the infinity gauntlet on like . . . a moon? What was that about?

Avengers and New Avengers are in the middle-moving-towards-the-end of a story that began with Avengers/NA #1's almost 2 and a half years ago.

While I recommend the entirety of it, the relevant books you want (what's going on, cap using the gauntlet, why he's hella mad) are New Avengers #1-3.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A_Ruse! posted:

The only think you really have to take away is that Cap is representing life and hope here. He doesn't want to compromise himself or anyone else by murdering innocents to save themselves and believes they can find a way to save people without resorting to that. And Stark is representing death. He's more realistic, ready to make the hard choice to save the universe, and has been building very bad weapons. When the two ideals clashed, Tony and the Illuminati erased Cap's memories and kept making world-destroying weapons. Cap just remembered it, and he's loving pissed.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

IUG posted:

[Discussion of Avengers/New Avengers]

Avengers and New Avengers are pretty awesome, and New Avengers mostly deals with the incursions if you want to read more about it.

^ This sounds amazing. I'm going to have to a chat with my comic book guy about some back issues, and try to catch up.

Codependent Poster: Awesome summary of the central theme. Cap is such a great character. Before I started diving into comics and embracing this stuff, I remember thinking he sounded super goofy and outdated, and wondered how they could possibly make him work in modern blockbuster movies without getting super jingoistic. But I think I "get" him now, and I loving love it. He's like - captain-of-what-we-wish-America-represented, and his biggest superpower is having super powers but still being a really, really good and principled guy. This isn't on topic, but loving Winter Soldier prompted me to stick with marvel comics after a test run, and the tldr of my revelation/cap-boner-origin was this: the film constantly asks 'who can we trust.' It also proposed an answer: even in an increasingly lovely, omg grim-dark obsessed world - we can trust goddamned Captain America. Not because he's crazy strong, but because being a legitimately good guy is ultimately way more super than being able to hulk out or throw a magic hammer around. That's really refreshing and cool.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My comic store also finally got in their Watcher eyes!

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

PSA: They glow in the dark. I woke up in the middle of the night to a glowing orb on my bookshelf. If this happens to you: it's the watcher's bouncy eye, not a ghost.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

A_Ruse! posted:

PSA: They glow in the dark. I woke up in the middle of the night to a glowing orb on my bookshelf. If this happens to you: it's the watcher's bouncy eye, not a ghost.

He's watching you doing your sinful after dark business.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I taped two Watcher eyes to my face and stumbled around the store today.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Did you see an alternate comic shop where you didn't give an rear end in a top hat hard cash to score Batman #1?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Did you see an alternate comic shop where you didn't give an rear end in a top hat hard cash to score Batman #1?

It was really weird, just this black, empty void.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Thank god you bought those comics so that Set didn't get revived and eat the world then.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rhyno posted:

I taped two Watcher eyes to my face and stumbled around the store today.

Pics or it didn't happen. Bonus points if you're wearing some kind of toga thing.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
A possibility I just thought of, I have to imagine that the alien race that ended up extinct due to the Watcher's interference in OS #0 has to be a big part of the overall story. Maybe some surviving remnant of the race or someone who knows what causes the extinction wants Uatu to answer for it.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

OldTennisCourt posted:

A possibility I just thought of, I have to imagine that the alien race that ended up extinct due to the Watcher's interference in OS #0 has to be a big part of the overall story. Maybe some surviving remnant of the race or someone who knows what causes the extinction wants Uatu to answer for it.

I actually don't think it'll be a big deal at all -- if it were, it'd be in the main series. The #0 being by a completely different creative team was a pretty big hint that it was largely a disconnected Watcher oneshot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

d00gZ posted:

I actually don't think it'll be a big deal at all -- if it were, it'd be in the main series. The #0 being by a completely different creative team was a pretty big hint that it was largely a disconnected Watcher oneshot.

Which is kind of a shame because it was such a good issue. I kind of want Waid to take a turn on Nova now.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
It's been ten years since Identity Crisis and the founding of BSS. Thought I'd try to bring back an ol' tradition.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

d00gZ posted:

It's been ten years since Identity Crisis and the founding of BSS. Thought I'd try to bring back an ol' tradition.

I demand sock puppets! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

d00gZ posted:

Yer doin the Lord's work son.

• Locked thread