Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Welcome to the new thread L5R CCG Thread! With the release of Ivory Edition, it seemed look a good time to get a new thread going.

Setting Overview:

Legend of the Five Rings is set in the empire of Rokugan; basically, imagine Feudal Japan. Lots of Samurai, honour, courtly intrigue and gods.
The main focus is the Great Clans(which I'll cover in more detail later); the Crab, Scorpion, Lion, Phoenix, Crane, Spider, Mantis, Dragon and Unicorn. Usually whatever conflict has caused tension between them, or whatever outside threat is throwing Rokugan into disarray at that point in time.
L5R's backstory is pretty extensive and you can a more extensive overviewhere

Why should I play L5R?

-It has a really cool setting
-A lot of Clans to choose from to fit your playstyle
-Chance to have an effect on the story due to tournament prizes.
-Battles are very interactive with a lot of decisions to make, in my opinion.

Ivory Edition Story:
After Pan'ku has been defeated and the followers of Fudo have been chased down, some semblance of peace has returned to Rokugan. However, some conflict is brewing: the matter of the Imperial Heirs, over which Clan opinions are extremely divided. The Second City is also not resting easy with the return of the Governess, Otomo Suikihime and the threat of the Yodatai still lurks in the background, even with the defeat of Legulus' forces.

Now the Clans are preparing for this worst(while also hassling the other clans they don't like)

Whats changed in Ivory?

-Strongholds are double-sided, and which side you use depends on if you are going first or second

-Senseis are back

-There is no longer a Cavalry Assignment phase to combat. It is now an Absent Engage action that you can do once per turn to move a Cavalry Personality to the battle.

-Some actions got keyworded: Absent(can be done without you having a Personality at the Battle) and Home(can be done even if the Personality performing it is not at the battle)

-Gold can be pooled now, rather than being wasted if you bow a Holding for too much when buying something

-Celestials are gone, replaced with Fortifications.

-Enlightenment is an instant-win, Dishonour victory is not; the person below -20 has a turn to get back above -20 but will still lose if they are under at the end of their turn.
-If you don't meet the Honor Requirement on a Personality, you can no longer pay 2 more gold to buy them anyway. HOWEVER, If another player's card has caused you an honour loss this game, you can ignore Honour Requirements.

-Clan Discount no longer exists.

-Ranged Attacks can now combined with other cards Ranged Attacks, as long as they are in the same unit.

-Events no longer enter play when revealed; you now choose when to play them.

-Equipping is now an Open action.

Current Sets :

The current sets that are Legal for play in Ivory edition tournaments are:

Coils of Madness:

Pan'kus madness takes hold in the Colonies, causing it to descend into riots. Also Fudoists!

This was a Direct-to-Player set; you could buy a tin containing a playset of each card. Still available on AEGs webstore. Also comes in 7-card boosters that can contain full-bleed cards or foils.

Gates of Chaos:
The Clans band together to try and stop the surge and insane samurai and defeat Pan'ku. Has a great deal of Fallen guys and a lot less Fudo cards.

Aftermath:

Pan'ku is defeated! The Heirs are here! It's time to now go after the Fudoists because they probably caused this, or something! Jade Pearl Inn is introduced and promptly skyrockets in price.

Ivory Edition:

Things settle down into a wary peace while the clans rebuild and figure out what their next move is, especially concerning the colonies. Renyui's dog token finally gets a name(It's Kiba)

Has nice starter deck tins and some of the starters have some good cards in them(Spider has Productive Mime and New Cavalry Tactics for example). Foils are also way shinier.

A Matter of Honor:

Learn to Play set about a demon wandering into Lion Clan lands and the Lion getting pissed at the Crab for not catching it beforehand. Contains a Lion deck and Crab deck. Haven't check the deck lists but should be a good way to learn the game as they're both military-focused.

NOTE: Exotic Farmlands and Well-Defended Farm are banned in Ivory.

Upcoming Stuff

Sets that set to release this year are:

The Coming Storm:
Things heat up between the clans and tensions between the Second City Governess and Iweko Seiken increase
Will be released around the end of May, becoming tournament legal at the the start of June.

Siege: Heart of Darkness.

Co-op raid deck! Beat up some snakes. Won't have any new Ivory-lega cards in it.
Release date: TBA

A Line in the Sand:

The next expansion after The Coming Storm. More clan conflict.
Release date:TBA

Overview of clans:

There are 9 Great Clans, each with their own focus.

Crab:

Guardians of the Wall that overlooks the shadowlands. Stoic, rough sorts. have a courtier Family in the Yasuki.

Stronghold:

Sensei:

Clan Champion:

Scorpion:

Lies and Deceit! And Ninjas. Mostly Courtiers and Yojimbo at the moment. Good at dishonouring people.

Stronghold:

Sensei:

Clan Champion:

Spider:

The newest Great Clan. Shadowlands tainted samurai, Monks and now Courtiers! Their courtiers aren't very popular though.

Stronghold:

Sensei:

Clan Champion:

Crane:

Fancy courtier-types and duelists. Also field a formidable Scout army.

Stronghold:
Note this has been Errated to say "until the end of the phase"
Sensei:
Note that this ahs been errated to only target Scouts.
Clan Champion:

Dragon:

Monks! All about being elightened, but also have Detective Samurai(Kitsuki) and Kensai.

Stronghold:

Sensei:

Clan Champion:

Mantis:

Sea-faring types, big on ranged attacks, big on Thunder.

Stronghold:

Sensei:

Clan Champion:

Unicorn:

Horse riders with some shugenjas and a small selection of courtiers. Focus on moving people in with Cavalry.

Stronghold:

Sensei:

Clan Champion:

Phoenix:

Mostly Shugenja(spellcasters) and Yojimbo. Has some monks/Henshin.

Stronghold:

Sensei:

Clan Champion:

Lion:

The most honorable samurai! Usually rely on their personal honour for bonuses, with some terrian and shugenja focuses in other areas.

Stronghold:

Sensei:

Clan Champion:

Types of Cards

Here's a quick overview of the different card types in L5R.

Personality:

1. Honor Requirement: Your Family Honour needs to be equal or above this before you can recruit the Personality
2. Gold Cost. How you you need to pay to recruit the Personality.
3. Personal Honour: how much you gain if you Proclaim the Personality as he enters play.
4. The Personality's force, matters for battles, melee/ranged attacks.
5. The Personalities Chi. If this ever becomes 0, the Personality immediately dies.

Event:

Enters play from the province when the ability is played; becomes discarded after the effect resolves.

Holdings:

Enters play bowed: these are usually your gold-producers. Sometimes have a trait(as above) or an ability

Items:

Pay gold to attach these to Personalities. Ivory introduced Two-Handed and One-Handed keywords so a Personality can only ever equip one Two-Handed Weapon, even if they are a Kensai.

Spells:

Can only equip t Shugenja. They do things, much like items that usually rely on the Shugenja.

Followers:

Attach to Personalities and contribute force like Personalities.

Strategy:

Bread and butter of your dynasty deck. They have abilities your can play. Focus Value(the number at the bottom) only matters for duels and some activated abilites/strategies.
Terrains are a type of strategy that get put into play as part of their ability.

Fortifaction:

Attach to Provinces, much like regions did except you have to pay for them.

Senseis: These cards start in play, much like the Stronghold. They modify your strongholds stats. See above for examples!

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Reserving this second post for useful links and promos and stuff.

Spookyelectric posted:

I don't know how many are still watching this thread, but I thought I'd let you guys know:

We're now looking for more people to join the Story Team. Just me, Brian, and Shawn are not going to be nearly enough for Ivory Edition. In case it wasn't clear, Story Team writes the weekly fictions (now bi-weekly, during Ivory Edition), resolve tournament prizes, write any other official fictions like those going in rulebooks and the Herald, flavor text, and so forth. We're basically in charge of 70% of all canon. Sometimes we get input on things like card themes and tournament story prizes, but not usually. You also get considered to write for the RPG, which is one of my personal favorite parts of the job. There's no money, but AEG sends you free playsets of each L5R expansion and base set. You also get all the promos and sometimes some bonus stuff. They pay you in merchandise, basically. Oh, and sometimes they'll pay for your hotel room and badge at GenCon, which is pretty sweet.

If you know the setting pretty well, or you're willing to learn, and if you can write decently and want to try out, you can enter by submitting a 2000 to 3000 word short story to l5rstoryteam@gmail.com. It doesn't have to be set in the contemporary version of Rokugan, but it needs to be in some part of the canonical timeline. Details should be on L5R's website. If you are selected you'll enter the second round of choices. I'm not sure how many members are going to be brought on in the end, but if I'm guessing I'd say probably two will ultimately be invited to join.

In all honesty, being on the Story Team has it's ups and downs. It's been a very eye-opening experience for me. But I'm glad I worked up the courage to try out and it can be very rewarding to see or hear people chatting about your work. You also get to see a side of the industry that is invisible to a lot of people, for better or for worse. I've made a lot of good friends and contacts through this work and I encourage any aspiring writer to give it a shot.

Useful Links

Kolat Informant Usually very update on new products and promos. Keeps a spoiler checklist for when Spoiler Season starts. Also has a podcast, The Oni's Eye.

Strange Assembly: http://www.strangeassembly.com/ Previews, Kotei Reports and decklists. Also has a Podcast.

L5R.com The main website! Obvious.

Clan Sites:

Dojo of Lies: Scorpion Clan Website

Shinden Fu Leng: Spider Clan Forums.

Home of the Crane Clan: Crane Clan Forums

Gisei Toshi: Phoenix Clan Forums

The Dragon Clan: Dragon Clan Forums

The Swift Sword : Lion Clan Forums

Crab Clan Catastrophe: Crab Clan Forums

Unicorn Clan Forums

The Kobune Port and The Mantis Clan: The Mantis Clan have two forums, for whatever reason.

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 24, 2014

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

PrinnySquadron posted:

Siege: Heart of Darkness... Won't have any new Ivory-legal cards in it.

We don't know that for sure, yet. It has three legal decks, and a raid deck. We don't know if those decks have new cards in them, and we also don't know if any of the cards in the raid deck will be legal. We don't have any unaligned strongholds yet so I personally am hoping the raid stronghold will be Ivory legal.

So some stuff about other formats, like Big Deck!

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Oh, right. I'll fix that. Dunno why I assumed it wouldn't.

Big Deck seems cool, and I really want to make a Scorpion Ninja one since I bought a full-bleed Path of False Hope. Nobody in my group really plays the format unfortunately.

I'm a pretty new player though, so what are some cool ninja cards to look out for?

EDIT: I'm probably getting the "No Ivory-legal" cards things from Magic where multiplier sets don't have new standard-legal cards in them.

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 24, 2014

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Ninja stronghold (the holding)! I am working on BD Ninja now, using the Dark Path of Shadow because it's busted and treats the ninja keyword as a faction trait.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
They went back to the good Walking the Way artwork. I approve.

So, when's this game becoming an ECG? :)

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Asked this in the last thread but never really got an answer. Considering returning to L5R after a 10 year break. Played lion but was not a huge fan of the military deck I was playing - I will probably be getting one of the starter decks this weekend.
Right now I am looking at Crane, Mantis, Scorpion and Phoenix. I would like to be able to play honor / dishonor semi-competitively when I get better at the game.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

You can run Dishonour out of Crane and Scorpion: I prefer Scorpion due to the Stronghold having a pretty great ability for it and Nitoshi allows two activations of it. Some people have tried running Dishonour out of Mantis but I'm not sure how good it actually is.

Honour is probably still Crane(maybe Phoenix?) since boosting your honour production from holdings is great. The honour deck got hit the hardest by the errata to be honest.

The Mantis starter is kind of worth getting just for the Jade Pearl inn, to be honest.

Corbeau posted:

They went back to the good Walking the Way artwork. I approve.

So, when's this game becoming an ECG? :)

Nowhere in the foreseeable future, as far as I can tell.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Big Deck is pretty legit. I tend to play Toturi's Army or Brotherhood of Shinsei. Shinsei are way loving better in BD then they ever were in actual L5R since their clan keyword is off the hook crazy.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Something I forgot from the OP: Promos for Coming Storm draft tournaments at launch:

For Each player taking part:

For the winner of the draft:

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Nightwatcher posted:

Asked this in the last thread but never really got an answer. Considering returning to L5R after a 10 year break. Played lion but was not a huge fan of the military deck I was playing - I will probably be getting one of the starter decks this weekend.
Right now I am looking at Crane, Mantis, Scorpion and Phoenix. I would like to be able to play honor / dishonor semi-competitively when I get better at the game.

I will agree that Scorpion is the way to go for dishonor. Be aware, a key dishonor card, Brilliant Cascade Inn, is the chase card in the set right now. Also, I have it on good authority that Spider honor is getting a boost in The Coming Storm. Watch the previews for the next couple weeks, and our opinions might change!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Big Deck is pretty legit. I tend to play Toturi's Army or Brotherhood of Shinsei. Shinsei are way loving better in BD then they ever were in actual L5R since their clan keyword is off the hook crazy.

Monk BD is something I have been kicking around for a bit in my head. Shameless abuse of rings and kiho. Running sensei that align people to you can expand that into giggles too: Aktoktuck Sensei gives all ratlings the Monk keyword? Deal.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So...I've actually been kinda interested in l5r for a minute now, and I occasionally go on these lore binges, but I don't always completely understand the context. What's with this Fudo guy and why is was everybody so angry-faced about him and his religion?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Got an introduction to military article I wrote here.

http://dojooflies.com/?p=896#more-896

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Veyrall posted:

So...I've actually been kinda interested in l5r for a minute now, and I occasionally go on these lore binges, but I don't always completely understand the context. What's with this Fudo guy and why is was everybody so angry-faced about him and his religion?

Teachings are controversial for being "gently caress it, do what you want" which isn't the Done Thing in Rokugan, essentially. It;s seens as discarding the Virtues of Bushido and is kind of taking some of the blame for the mess in the Second City.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

PrinnySquadron posted:

Teachings are controversial for being "gently caress it, do what you want" which isn't the Done Thing in Rokugan, essentially. It;s seens as discarding the Virtues of Bushido and is kind of taking some of the blame for the mess in the Second City.

Yup, rugged individualism is frowned upon in Rokugani society.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007
I done forgotted how play l5r good, pls tell me hows to play l5r card good.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Shithead Deluxe posted:

I done forgotted how play l5r good, pls tell me hows to play l5r card good.
The only worthy victories are The Darkest Magics, The 38th Hantei Falls, The Master of Five, and The Death of Onnotangu.

:colbert:

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Good L5R is play crane because they are very good design does not have things gold to stats in firmly. Lion also can be in a good spot naked because of the gold to stats just play them naked and take them out.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Man, folks from my home area (near Boston) apparently flew out to Puerto Rico and took 3 of the top4 (and only didn't take top 4 entirely due to the fact that one of the guys scooped to get a local in the top 4)

edit: Mantis won. This is my shocked face. 0_o

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Where the PR guys just, you know, not good at the game? Or was a it a five-man Kotei; because this arch it would be believable.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
18 players looks like

And, it looks like this was a pretty razor's edge deck.. we'll see when the decklist goes up.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Also take into account card availability in smaller locals.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Todays batch of Spoilers:

From the Spider Forums:

From the main website:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
You should probably note that while the 2 player learn to play set is good and full of nice cards, some of them have now been banned because of ashigaru related shenanigans.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You should probably note that while the 2 player learn to play set is good and full of nice cards, some of them have now been banned because of ashigaru related shenanigans.

Good idea, I'll edit it in. They're allowed if the deck remains exactly as-is, correct?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Unsettling Gathering + Defensive Miko.. Funny Combo coming in TCS.

(you give this to your opponent's super unit, and the super unit can't attack till they find a way to get rid of it)

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Those Spider cards rock. I am so excited about Spider honor. Hooray!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Man, I keep running into god draws..

Last night it was a Dragon Enlightenment game (the guy posted it on twitch, he's one of the top Dragon Players around).. it was something like a turn 5 or 6 Enlightenment Victory..

Today it was a Crane Ultra-Turbo Honor Deck (I was playing Crane too, and between Doji Shirarou (where I either had to take a two honor hit or let him gain four honor), KTT/PPG, and 2 Delicate Gambles that netted him 8 honor.. I had no shot at all.

Edit: Some day, some way I will find the person at AEG who ok'd a 9F that duels at 9for 11 crab and... well, I will give new meaning to the phrase "The Flesh Eater".

"Oh, here's my uber crab. And look, here's An Enemy Revealed, A Magistrate Falls, ANOTHER Magistrate Falls, a Planted Evidence.. Gee, it looks like I've taken out your entire group!"

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 29, 2014

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

:getin:

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Have 3 Takuans in play at home, use a reserve spider sac him gain 3 honor, also new strategy go to battle intending to lose to gain massive amounts of honor from the destruction of your army so that you win at the start of your turn. I AM LOVING THIS JANK.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Starting to get things together with a Crane Honor Deck, won three straight games so far one game by the skin of my teeth against a Naga deck (using the Unicorn SH for 2x Cycle and 5 gold SH).. Got to 40 Honor thanks to a Duel honor gain, and thanks to an encircled terrain, my defender hung on by the skin of his teeth, dying valiantly to win me the game (if he had ONE more force in his guy, he would have taken my last province.)

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Unicorn Previews:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Here's that Mantis Kotei winning deck

The Fruitful Port of the Mantis

2 Glimpse of the Unicorn
Frost Dragon Festival
Inari's Festival
Dark Audience

3 Jade Mine
3 Slave Pits
3 Kobune Port
3 Famous Bazaar
2 Jade Pearl Inn
1 Deep Harbor
1 Family Library
Temple of Tengen
The Topaz Dojo

3 Minikui no Oni
3 Ogre Bushi
3 Yoritomo Toganin
The Dark Naga - Experienced
Nishoji, the Steel-Eyed
Moshi Tomiko - Experienced
Yoritomo Yashinko - Experienced
Ichiro Otani, the Stone Breaker
Iuchi Wattu
The Shakash
Tochiko, the Jagged Tusk of Death

3 Breaking the Rhythm
3 Sudden Movement
3 Weakness Exposed
3 Incapacitated
3 Back to the Front
3 Advance Warning
2 Ivory Magistrate Outpost
2 Come One at a Time
2 Treachery and Deceit
1 Fall Back
1 Creating Order

3 Versatile Blade
3 Justice of the Crane
3 Utaku's Destiny
The Egg of P'an Ku - Experienced

Ring of Air
Ring of Earth
Ring of the Void
Ring of Water

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I love the art for the Seeds of the Void one :allears:

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
Are... are those skyscrapers? :staredog:

*edit* actually read the flavor text. Man, that is awesome.

The Journey Fraternity fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 7, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Journey Fraternity posted:

Are... are those skyscrapers? :staredog:

*edit* actually read the flavor text. Man, that is awesome.

Maybe it's a secret hint that Rich Wulf will finish R2K.

Ha ha no.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
What's the best way to read the story, get caught up, all that? I'm just getting started, about to buy A Matter of Honor, and the back story seems intriguing.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Absolute best way?

Find the two L5R RPG Books Imperial History 1 and 2

That has about 15 different time periods covered (including some alternate ones like "What if Fu Leng won the 2nd Day of Thunder", "What if Rokugan didn't kick all the foreigners out", "What if a Monk with the ear of the Emperor decided to promote the idea that since there were five rings, there should be five clans (one for each ring), and that the Crane and Scorpion should merge?" (an actual bit of the non-CCG timeline that ALMOST happened, to EVERYBODY's horror) and "What if we took Samurai Drama, and made it a Sci-Fi RPG game?"

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
Both are on DriveThruRPG for relatively cheap, if you're fine with PDFs.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/99805/Legend-of-the-Five-Rings-Imperial-Histories
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/120989/Legend-of-the-Five-Rings-Imperial-Histories-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SirFozzie posted:

Absolute best way?

Find the two L5R RPG Books Imperial History 1 and 2

That has about 15 different time periods covered (including some alternate ones like "What if Fu Leng won the 2nd Day of Thunder", "What if Rokugan didn't kick all the foreigners out", "What if a Monk with the ear of the Emperor decided to promote the idea that since there were five rings, there should be five clans (one for each ring), and that the Crane and Scorpion should merge?" (an actual bit of the non-CCG timeline that ALMOST happened, to EVERYBODY's horror) and "What if we took Samurai Drama, and made it a Sci-Fi RPG game?"

I's that the official canon now? That The Battle of White Stag was irn the up and up and not just Imperial Histories saving face? How do they explain the Tortoise Clan then?

• Locked thread