Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is it possible to play Ivory Edition as a pauper (rare less or all common/fixed) format or are too many staples for non-vanilla at the rare/promo level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PrinnySquadron posted:

Military you can probably get cheaper alternatives to replace rares; the only big hit might be Family Dojo and New Cavalry Tactics.

Dishonour you can probably forget about getting on the cheap because 3x Brilliant Cascade and 3x Exquisite Silk Works are basically mandatory.

I'm asking not in a "can I compete as pauper versus fully powered?" but as "would a pauper league be playable or would it be endless Crab vs Crab vanilla swarm?"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

novamute posted:

If anything everyone playing pauper league would probably be more balanced than not.

Of course it would be balanced due to most everyone having access to the entire card pool. I'm asking if it would be interesting.

In past editions there were issues like any cards halfway decent for honor running, dueling, tacticianing, etc was at uncommon or higher. It often developed into CvC or maybe CvL military of vanilla-ish dudes running at each other.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

I just wanted to let everyone know that the main L5R Group on Facebook is horrible. It's filled with Donkeys and people with bad opinions. Some dude, who has ostensibly been playing for years, asked how spells work the other day

Welcome to 90% of any CCG online community. The standout for L5R is that so many of them are determined that they're the next World Champions in waiting.

Back in Diamond I knew a group who played a multiplayer campaign. Every card ever printed was allowed, you gained provinces through map conquest, etc. Most of the players had every card printed because they'd been playing the whole time.

They also had a binder of insane home rule errata. The only one I remember was Shosuro Maru / Yogo Asami's Open becoming Limited because "all the players ran her" and no one thought to make her Loyal.

Then there were the decks. 40/40 was the rule at start, and as you got more provinces your decks would increase in minimum size. So you'd expect some 40-50 card decks to start? Nope, not a single deck was less than 130 cards. Players would bitch incessantly about holding screw/flood and then reveal they were running decks with 15-25% holdings in 150 card decks. They'd have access to the most insane cards ever printed and miss direct comboes (the Phoenix player refused to use spells). They would play for 5 hours a night and players would be down 2 provinces at most.

I was invited to play (one of the players wanted to try Mantis and I had a scorp deck) and played a dueling deck that was designed for 1v1 play, diamond legal as I only had diamond cards. I wiped 5 players boards on turn 3 or 4 and took a province off each by turn 5, and another turn 6 (it's been years, I don't remember the exact count). One player tried to lunge across the table.

Each and every one of them was convinced they were the best player in the state, and I had sullied their high, invitation only table with 'base play.'

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Shithead Deluxe posted:

Jesus H. Christ. I love gaming, but I really hate gamers.

Almost word for word my license plate cover.

I don't get it. I don't understand how people who have regularly played a game for over a decade and spent untold $$$$ both refuse any effort to get better or stop. There's one guy who has been a staple of my hometown's FNM draft since Onslaught and the best he's ever done is 2-1 once. Most nights he's 0-3, with the occasional 1-2. Those 1-2s are his good nights, about once every two months.

He's constantly giving advice, thinks he's amazing, and yet doesn't understand why he keeps losing. Losing for 12 years. Blows my effing mind. Never improving.

Still, he's better than the 6'8" guy who went off his meds, lost an L5R game, then stripped naked and ran circles in the strip mall parking lot.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anyone have a link to the infamous "Zero banned, Zero Restricted" L5R advert from way back when? Or links to the interview where the designers bemoaned said advertisement?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Isolated gaming communities. Especially for niche games like L5R. The biggest fish in the small pond thinks he's great because HE IS great in that environment.

The first time I went to Kotei after utterly dominating my local store for months was quite an eye-opener.

I follow, but I'm talking about the plankton in the small pond. The ones who rarely if ever take a game at the casualest of events.

Toshimo posted:

Let me know if you find a copy. I lost mine and I've been asking around for months looking for one.

Will do. You'd think it wouldn't be more than a google search away.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anyone know of a site that will sell reasonably discounted playsets of L5R fixed/commons? Convinced a large amount of people to play a pauper format and even non-players are interested.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Friction.123 posted:

A bunch of my friends are getting back into this game after we played a bit in high school, and now that I actually have some resources to dump into I'm curious: whats the best way to get a decent card base going? I'm really curious if you can buy a bunch of commons anywhere. Unfortunately my FLGS doesn't carry L5R (I may try to convince them to pick up but who knows).

Buy boxes/cases through Potomac Distribution or similar sites I'm sorry to say. L5R continues to have a weak secondary market which means doing things like buying playsets of common/uncommons has to be done in a peer to peer method at inflated prices.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I found my set of Dawn of the Empire. Anyone interested in buying it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fallorn posted:

Any one else upset that John Akey is the new community organizer? He has made some comments in the past that have really upset quite a few of the Texas players such as don't go to the Austin Kotei, the person running the Austin Kotei is abusing a dead texas players memory, something his friends firmly disagreed with. Hell how do you have a Community Organizer who tells people to not go to a large regional event. Also Kotei what tomorrow and no story for the season at all.

Care to shed a bit more light on this?

• Locked thread