Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So Google Car should launch a Google Drone to map out the roads in the immediate vicinity thus it can now drive anywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

phonebloks is still a product with a budget

they are still working on it

protip: phonebloks team is now assigned to maintaining the ball pits

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pagancow posted:

Can I get invited into Inbox?

looks like there is some delay between joining and being able to send invites. i will try to hook up yospos people if google ever decides to give me some.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Forums Terrorist posted:

maybe they should start with trains, and once they have driverless freight trains move on to trams, since they're easier

yes, bring google engineers into contact with information about trains, that is a great idea that will surely increase productivity

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i wonder if there's anyone at apple who doesn't use an iphone

there are. it's not a big deal

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013
reminders and mail categories? yes bring me the revolution please!!!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

kraftwerk singles posted:

there are. it's not a big deal

contractors who get minimum wage i bet

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

flakeloaf posted:

google engineers

lol forever

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

PleasureKevin posted:

proof google is for the poors

this is screenshots form their Inbox site.
Thrift stores are the in-thing for hipsters now.

There's even a small goodwill in Portland that concentrates all the best stuff that gets donated and charges nearly retail prices for it too. That Portlandia sketch was not an exaggeration.

The screenshots even talk about eating sushi and going skiing - not exactly stuff poor people do. Also it's an iPhone screenshot sooo...

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 22, 2014

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i should definitely keep my nose to the wind for new trends coming from portland

thank you

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cardboard Box A posted:

Thrift stores are the in-thing for hipsters now.

this has been true for over a decade now

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this has been true for over a decade now

also it was true when i was a teenager

in the last 30 years probably 15 of those years thrift stores have been cool poo poo for cool kids, to the point where they're so exhaustively mined that everyone buys fake thrift store stuff or shops at upscale stores that sell thrift store stuff at huge markups

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cold on a Cob posted:

in the last 30 years probably 15 of those years thrift stores have been cool poo poo for cool kids, to the point where they're so exhaustively mined that everyone buys fake thrift store stuff or shops at upscale stores that sell thrift store stuff at huge markups

looking poor is cool

see also: anything to do with denim

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

its depressing because actual poor and struggling people used to depend on thrift stores plus some effort and a little luck to come up with a presentable interview outfit or first communion dress can no longer find it because rich people loves them some "thrifting"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

its depressing because actual poor and struggling people used to depend on thrift stores plus some effort and a little luck to come up with a presentable interview outfit or first communion dress can no longer find it because rich people loves them some "thrifting"

i know a girl who used to work as a "picker" for a store that was basically the cream of the crop from thrift stores

she said that the best stuff came from estate sales out in the rural areas and podunk towns because they're not picked over like in a real city

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PleasureKevin posted:

because of rain

There is a surprisingly long list of the things the car can't do, like avoid potholes or operate in heavy rain or snow.

rain and snow basically make the thing blind. so they need map data to compensate, i take it.

no, it needs the maps and the ability to see so it can compare what it sees against the map data and only concentrate on the difference. without both it can't move.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i know a girl who used to work as a "picker" for a store that was basically the cream of the crop from thrift stores

she said that the best stuff came from estate sales out in the rural areas and podunk towns because they're not picked over like in a real city

estate sales are the poo poo.

thrift stores and yard sales you are picking through poo poo people didn't want anymore. estate sales you are picking through the stuff they held onto until it was pried out of their dead hands.

the one exception is to ask a dry cleaner in a rich area what thrift store they take the stuff customers don't pick up. really nice suits, freshly cleaned, for dirt cheap. it amazes me the stuff rich assholes just abandon because they can't be bothered to go pick it up.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the goog sales guys that try to sell me very expensive ads are ball-busters but incredibly generous, they're probably the most wall-street/professional of the sales people i work with.

super good though, when i have the money to get stuff from them, they back up the value-add truck and it's p. good. hard negotiators before that though.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like to thrift

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

pagancow posted:

Can I get invited into Inbox?

looks like googles latest bullshit move to hide all promotions emails god forbid you see an ad without them getting paid

bundles are filters that you could build in two minutes but you dont because theyre useless

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

poty posted:

looks like googles latest bullshit move to hide all promotions emails god forbid you see an ad without them getting paid

bundles are filters that you could build in two minutes but you dont because theyre useless

yeah but nobody wants to see those promotional emails in the first place so net benefit for society.

doing a good thing for the wrong reasons etc.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
actually there are plenty of good smaller companies that dont advertise so you have to keep up with new products and sales through newsletters

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
do they have websites

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

FMguru posted:

graph-of-the-decline-of-the-middle-class.svg

treating it like it's a fashion statement is sometimes a defence against being perceived as unironically poor

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-google-is-slowing-2014-10

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

this is literally the entire reason gmail exists. spam is a competitor to google's ads, so they created the world's best spam filter.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

:monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle::monocle:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

i'm the f.lux

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

those are 2 different articles illustrating the shifting narrative. the google x pr stunts staved off the "google is the new microsoft" meme from taking hold for a few years, but the press is finally waking up

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

cremnob posted:

those are 2 different articles illustrating the shifting narrative. the google x pr stunts staved off the "google is the new microsoft" meme from taking hold for a few years, but the press is finally waking up

:eek:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
how can google be the new microsoft when microsoft is still microsoft

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://stratechery.com/2014/peak-google/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
idgi that appears to be a bunch of colons and slashes instead of a coherent response cremnob

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im the charts drawn by a three year old

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

pram posted:

how can google be the new microsoft when microsoft is still microsoft

u can have multiple microsofts and thats most likely cause good companies are rare

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

cremnob posted:

u can have multiple stymies and thats most likely cause good symies are rare

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

well, huh.

i daresay scroogled.

Sniep