Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Caged posted:

According to two sources, Google has apparently been reshuffling the teams that used to form the core of Google+, a group numbering between 1,000 and 1,200 employees.

lmao what a horrendous waste of human life

so with six figure salaries that's a minimum of 100 million every year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

twelve hundred people, working full time on a product people only interact with when they are forced to by google bundling another product in with it. thats like one fifth of the total facebook employees.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
what were all these fuckers even working on. BURST ALREADY TECH BUBBLE TO START THE PAIN TRAIN.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
google+ interface is really loving bad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the op watched eric schmidt gently caress his entire family from behind with his candelabra cock and then garrote them all simultaneously with one giant piano wire

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Smythe posted:

the op watched eric schmidt gently caress his entire family from behind with his candelabra cock and then garrote them all simultaneously with one giant piano wire

the aristocrats!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pram posted:

google+ interface is really loving bad

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

comments seem to say otherwise gG+ is alive and well

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

quote:

We’ve heard that the acquisition of WhatsApp by Facebook may have been a factor in the phasing out of Gundotra’s grand experiment. There was a perception that Google had missed the “biggest acquisition in the social space.” Though another source tells us that Google knew what was up with WhatsApp but simply didn’t want to pay out for it.

everything is primed and ready for google to start making value destroying acquisitions. they just got a new class of shares that wont decrease eric, larry, and sergay's voting control if they start issuing for big buys so they're gonna be amped to open up the wallet. im so fuckin hard :flashfap:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

quote:

One big change for Google+ is that there will no longer be a policy of “required” Google+ integrations for Google products
:haw:

quote:

That doesn’t mean that all G+ integrations will go away, though. Gmail will continue to have it
:geno:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i deleted my google+ profile and it didnt effect gmail??

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

MeruFM posted:

comments seem to say otherwise gG+ is alive and well

holy poo poo wow yeah caught a glimpse of the comments, unironic google+ supporters seriously wtf

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
movin to android woo. maybe i'll be able to see the android source finally lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
marry Apple kill Microsoft

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
google+ photos is the only nice thing about google+. i'm glad they're going to continue to innovate in other ways instead of letting their offerings stagnate like mobileme. mobilefail if you ask me, imo.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

PipeRifle posted:

literally tried to onboard the entire team to Google Wave

wave was great

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

google bring back wave and i will take back everything bad i ever said about any google product

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i'm starting a social network based on irc. its going to have everyone. if your a freenode freak or an efnet enthusiast its all gonna be there for u. reconnect with lost irc buddies. share quotes and warez. ping friends. it's all waiting for you on irc-u

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

internally, it's more like a drastic scaling-down of the social network, which at one point was deemed so important to the company that every employee's yearly bonus was tied to Google's success in social.

even when it was alive g+ was a cost cutting measure

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kirk posted:

i'm starting a social network based on irc. its going to have everyone. if your a freenode freak or an efnet enthusiast its all gonna be there for u. reconnect with lost irc buddies. share quotes and warez. ping friends. it's all waiting for you on irc-u

glined

the g stands for g+

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
FAST FORWARD TO THIS

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kirk posted:

< Message:[F-serve active! Type "!killme" for access! Unlimited leech! Sharing thousands of hot hot soul crushing pics of your ex significant others in deep relationships with other people, your racist uncle implying Obama was born in North Korea, and a literal neverending supply of engagement and baby pictures to make you feel even more alone!] - SysReset2.45

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i use google+ partially because nobody else does

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'd probably have, like, all of the followers if i posted publicaly

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

but i don't because lol gently caress that noise ~continues screaming into the void~

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google killed google reader for this lmao

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hey

hey google

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
i managed to avoid g+ entirely thus far, i hope it dies before I ever have to see it

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

g+ will stay alive forever

it's google's bet that facebook will catastrophically collapse at some point and they'll mop up some fleeing users

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Caged posted:

According to two sources, Google has apparently been reshuffling the teams that used to form the core of Google+, a group numbering between 1,000 and 1,200 employees.

lmao what a horrendous waste of human life

how the gently caress

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i would imagine its 50 ppl doing the actual work and 1150 ppl going "i'll start the wiki"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
and don't forget the one guy who implements some kind of mlp poo poo into it.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

like at that point don't extra personnel just become wasteful if not completely detrimental

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

probably 900 of them are 'community advocates' or 'platform evangelists' or some bs like that getting paid gently caress all but get to enjoy the ballpit once in a while

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

quote:

When Vic Gundotra, the head of Google+, suddenly announced his departure from Google today, many were left wondering "why" and what it meant for the future of Google+. He didn't give a reason for leaving, but according to a report from TechCrunch, the likely reason is a major shakeup for Google's social network.

In short, Google seems to be backing away from the original Google+ strategy. The report states that Google+ will no longer be considered a product that competes with Facebook and Twitter, and that Google's mission to force Google+ into every product will end. With this downgrade in importance comes a downgrade in resources. TechCrunch claims that 1000-1200 employees—many of which formed the core of Google+—will be moved to other divisions. Google Hangouts will supposedly be moved to Android, and the Google+ photos team is "likely" to follow. "Basically, talent will be shifting away from the Google+ kingdom and towards Android as a platform," the report said. The strange part is that both of these teams create cross-platform products. So if the report is true, there will be a group inside the Android team making iOS and Web apps, which doesn't seem like the best fit.

A Google spokesperson gave Ars the same statement the company gave TechCrunch: “Today’s news has no impact on our Google+ strategy—we have an incredibly talented team that will continue to build great user experiences across Google+, Hangouts, and Photos.” On Gundotra's announcement post, Larry Page wrote "we’ll continue working hard to build great new experiences for the ever-increasing number of Google+ fans."
Despite Google's denial, it makes sense for the company to back away from Google+. The social network hasn't gained the massive userbase it would need to rival Facebook, and the aggressive integration strategy has been universally hated by users. As Google gets bigger and bigger, it faces harsher scrutiny, and few things the company has done have been more disliked than Google+. According to the report, Google+'s YouTube takeover was seen as "a rocky move" even inside the company.

It also makes sense for this to be the reason for Gundotra leaving. Google+ was his baby, and when pet projects like this get canceled or don't go well, it's typical for the company and the employee to part ways (See: Forstall, Scott).

It's unclear what the future of Google+ would be, and the report says that Google itself isn't even sure what to do with the rest of the Google+ team members. TechCrunch says that G+ is not officially dead, but with Gundotra gone and the resources being stripped away, the project seems more like the "walking dead." We imagine that internally, it's more like a drastic scaling-down of the social network, which at one point was deemed so important to the company that every employee's yearly bonus was tied to Google's success in social.

If the report proves true, we'll no doubt see the effects of this shortly. As a brand, Google+ is about at toxic as you can get. Any mention of the service getting close to a Google product usually results in instant rage among the denizens of the Internet. So while the identity, photo, and chat services will stick around, we'll start to see the G+ brand downplayed as much as possible. If the Google+ division really is being shut down and parted out to the rest of the company, will you miss it?

scroogled again !!

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

a lot of Linux devs post on g+

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

like linus Torvalds posts about his cat on g+

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i hope this means youtube will stop hassling me about changing my account

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Max Facetime posted:

a lot of Linux devs post on g+

this is the only reason i use g+

when it goes away they'll probably switch to some Planet aggregator and i'll be none the wiser except my browser's own scrollbars will actually work again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Socracheese posted:

i would imagine its 50 ppl doing the actual work and 1150 ppl going "i'll start the wiki"

50 people doing actual work, 1150 finding and banning people who didnt sign up with their real name

• Locked thread