Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

cremnob posted:

displaying only Google search ads on your web pages
What does this mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

someone put a new set of double a's in cremnob i want him fully charged on tuesday

cant wait to see how google fucks up next

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
scroogled again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFDU5J5oexk

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol good ad

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google has done it again

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
reminder that google brillo is for scrubs

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao i hope they kill this router before it gets released again

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

cremnob posted:

google has done it again

what the hell, how can it be so bad with a fast enough SoC and wifi chips? is their software really that bad or the extra processing power went to something else

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DaNzA posted:

what the hell, how can it be so bad with a fast enough SoC and wifi chips? is their software really that bad or the extra processing power went to something else

:nsa:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it would be neat to see what kind of routes these routers use, but depite the name arse technical they're not so great at tech analysis

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

anthonypants posted:

it would be neat to see what kind of routes these routers use, but depite the name arse technical they're not so great at tech analysis

routes won't change from the same ISP unless they're tunnelling everything through a google vpn which would be interesting but I doubt it

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

cremnob posted:

google has done it again

is the name asus rtac68u supposed to mean anything to me?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ludwig van Halen posted:

it's a good router

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ludwig van Halen posted:

68 plus u makes 69

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

it's a good router

from last year even, but wireless hasn't improved much for a single client since 802.11ac

presumably the google router should handle more simultaneous users with all its extra radios and antennas but they probably hosed that up too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the extra radios aren't for you they're for monitoring everyone elses wifi

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

reminder that the google router is just a tp-link shitbox

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tp-link is fine, its the goog that's poo poo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
"i use tp-link for my bunghole" - cornholio

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it takes a lot of bandwidth and cpu overhead to send all of your internet traffic data to mountain view

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im the use of a loving speed test app on an phone to conduct a review of networking equipment's wifi performance

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right it makes for a consistent test.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would probably be better if you used your ISP's internal speed test though cause then you could eliminate the possibility of flakey external routing over garbage peers like level3.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

a consistent test would be against something locally on the network, and then some fake WAN you create one route hop away to test the forwarding capability of the router's software/chip

also ideally at least a few other devices including a laptop with a decent wifi chipset you can get some actual performance data from

using your lovely residential ISP can't be guaranteed to be consistent test to test

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I like that on the Asus test they screen capped the test when it was halfway done lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

a consistent test would be against something locally on the network, and then some fake WAN you create one route hop away to test the forwarding capability of the router's software/chip

also ideally at least a few other devices including a laptop with a decent wifi chipset you can get some actual performance data from

using your lovely residential ISP can't be guaranteed to be consistent test to test

maybe if we were looking at routers with very similar performance, but in this case the difference in speeds is so incredible that the small variances caused by the network aren't significant.

also its good for real world testing since who knows what else goog is doing inside that router in terms of dns or proxying or w/e else that you might not get in a closed test environment.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ok shagger :downs:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
glad you agree

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

maybe if we were looking at routers with very similar performance, but in this case the difference in speeds is so incredible that the small variances caused by the network aren't significant.

also its good for real world testing since who knows what else goog is doing inside that router in terms of dns or proxying or w/e else that you might not get in a closed test environment.

theres no way the router is as bad as those lovely tests show

it doesnt matter what router it is

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's amazing to me that nobody at google foresaw that everybody would assume their router was mining everything for ad data

there's no official messaging on how to counter that assumption, even on the retail training side

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

duTrieux. posted:

it's amazing to me that nobody at google foresaw that everybody would assume their router was mining everything for ad data

literally everyone foresaw this

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Valeyard posted:

theres no way the router is as bad as those lovely tests show

it doesnt matter what router it is

someone hasn't used a terrible router

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the first 2 tests are local network tests. like that poo poo is horrible. theres no way its not the router's fault that everything is significantly slower in every test.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

someone hasn't used a terrible router

i cannot believe that goog, charging 200 dollars for a router, would ship something this bad

someone buy it and run more tests

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i'm going to buy it with irony dollars

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Valeyard posted:

i cannot believe that goog, charging 200 dollars for a router, would ship something this bad

someone buy it and run more tests

it's a tp-link what did you expect?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Valeyard posted:

hmmm

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i skimmed through a few other reviews and it all seems positive

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Endless Mike posted:

it takes a lot of bandwidth and cpu overhead to send all of your internet traffic data to mountain view

dont forget the files you transfer between computers in your lan

poty fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Ludwig van Halen posted:

it's a tp-link what did you expect?

They're pretty decent actually