Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Triglav posted:

tbf infantry supposedly didnt like the bots as ammo mules cuz they were loud as gently caress

though i think they were making a smaller, quieter one that couldnt carry as much but wasnt as loud

ammo mules and medical transports were the public face of this. I'm sure somewhere in a lab at general dynamics there's a version of that bot with a mounted machine gun on a dual axis swivel base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i want a tiny version of those dog-bots that doesn't sound like it's screaming

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

was fuzzy mammal reassigned when google decided to reproduce their messaging offerings for the 6th time? or is google hangouts still being "developed" while the current team looks for the exits?

never fear i work on common code under all of it.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

never fear i work on common code under all of it.

you poor bastard

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
since were wrecking on google moonshot acquisitions can anyone name a company they bought that actually turned into a good and profitable product?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

vodkat posted:

since were wrecking on google moonshot acquisitions can anyone name a company they bought that actually turned into a good and profitable product?

Applied Semantics (makers of AdSense), Android Inc., YouTube

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
i would have said Inbox was one of their successful acquisitions but it's gone nowhere but downhill since the buy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's just a power:weight issue and turns out liquid-fueled 2-stroke engines are still king. if batteries were better they could be nearly silent

max4me posted:

It just shocks me that google pulls this poo poo. Just loving write off the R&D and commint to a five, ten, 15 year plan and see what you get.

this is probably the #1 problem facing american research today. every dollar spent on basic research returns it like fifty-fold in GDP, but it takes a few decades for the results to be seen. see: moon program. that's not acceptable to venture capitalists (and by extension all modern tech companies, picking up the same attitudes and cultures), who demand that their investments pay off within a few years. and since VC is where all the money is going right now, we get snapchat instead of mars colonies.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
and the best part of it is that if you're a startup you're forced to take vc money

oh, don't want to sell your soul to us at a lovely price? that's cool, we'll just give $100 million to your nearest competitor so they can hold your head underwater undercutting you at a loss for as long as it takes you to drown :-)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Improbable Lobster posted:

same except a bigger one with a 40 cal browning and it screams all the time

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

uncurable mlady posted:

it screams all the time

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

vodkat posted:

Ad stuff

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 30, 2016

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

that's just part of the story. a leaked email suggests google didn't want the "bad press" of humanoid robots with the ability to take people's jobs. it was then they put BD up for sale. sad they didn't seem to mind questions about the ethics of ammo mules and unmanned artillery poo poo.

i think they keep these companies around in part for marketing. once their usefulness there runs out, they bail. look at how they get journalists into their labs years before any product is predicted to come out. and these articles are part of what people cite when ranking Google in the top 5 brands or CEOs, etc.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also they don't need that many hits to make the purchases worth it with the sort of rather ambitious stuff they pick up. as noted, adsense/adwords was effectively purchased (cheap), android and youtube cost a bit more but turned out fantastic

i was sort of expecting people to quote that list and go "well what have they done recently?!" and then i was going to first quote the monty python skit about what the romans have done, and then bring up DeepMind, which they also bought pretty much complete, for a rather piddling sum even considering just the pr alone

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

that's just part of the story. a leaked email suggests google didn't want the "bad press" of humanoid robots with the ability to take people's jobs. it was then they put BD up for sale. sad they didn't seem to mind questions about the ethics of ammo mules and unmanned artillery poo poo.

i think they keep these companies around in part for marketing. once their usefulness there runs out, they bail. look at how they get journalists into their labs years before any product is predicted to come out. and these articles are part of what people cite when ranking Google in the top 5 brands or CEOs, etc.

stumbling around in a parking lot making an ear-splitting racket is a job? that's either a fake leak or a completely deluded employee.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yippee cahier posted:

stumbling around in a parking lot making an ear-splitting racket is a job?

well, i don't think anyone pays me for it, but

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Sagebrush posted:

well, i don't think anyone pays me for it, but

did you get your motorbike back?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

guys, there is no rhyme or reason

they bought BD because somebody at google wanted a new toy, and now they're getting rid of it because somebody realized oh poo poo we're running an actual company

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kevin no longer gives me pleasure

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

kevin, why do you hate google so much? and have you stopped beating your wife?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sagebrush posted:

every dollar spent on basic research returns it like fifty-fold in GDP, but it takes a few decades for the results to be seen. see: moon program.

People tend to give NASA more credit than they are actually due though. People on this message board have said stuff like without NASA there'd be no personal computers or cell-phones and that is hilariously wrong. NASA isn't even responsible for GPS.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 30, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

p sure steve jobs was a lunatic

QED bihtc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sadly, hyperbolic statements like "without nasa there'd be no cell phones" are probably the only way to get people to (grudgingly) accept the value of the space program, because most of the real spinoffs that have made enormous differences to everyday life are basically invisible.

"without nasa we'd have nowhere near the knowledge that we currently do of aluminum alloy metallurgy and fiber-reinforced composites" is not getting the average high school dropout off their couch to vote, even though those fields affect everything from your car's gas mileage to the design of prosthetic legs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

like, you gotta remember that this forum's users are mostly in the 99th percentile of science and technology education. the average person has no understanding of what sorts of goals or outcomes are appropriate for a large pure-research organization.

after NASA landed curiosity on mars, i saw a youtube comment ranting about the $2.5bn that the program cost, complaining that "they should of spend that money on EARTH on JOBS!!!!!!". i could only conclude that the commenter believed that robots are sent to mars not by hiring scientists and engineers and machinists and programmers and technicians all over the country, but by shoveling a bunch of cash into a rocket and shooting it into space

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im dumb as heck dude

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

like, you gotta remember that this forum's users are mostly in the 99th percentile of science and technology education. the average person has no understanding of what sorts of goals or outcomes are appropriate for a large pure-research organization.

after NASA landed curiosity on mars, i saw a youtube comment ranting about the $2.5bn that the program cost, complaining that "they should of spend that money on EARTH on JOBS!!!!!!". i could only conclude that the commenter believed that robots are sent to mars not by hiring scientists and engineers and machinists and programmers and technicians all over the country, but by shoveling a bunch of cash into a rocket and shooting it into space

look if bitcoin can go to the moon then usd must be fuel for mars

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

silence_kit posted:

People tend to give NASA more credit than they are actually due though. People on this message board have said stuff like without NASA there'd be no personal computers or cell-phones and that is hilariously wrong. NASA isn't even responsible for GPS.

the apollo program mostly cribbed its tech from ICBMs anyway

life support being the big exception i guess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

computer parts posted:

the apollo program mostly cribbed its tech from ICBMs anyway

life support being the big exception i guess

"well, once we understood how to instantaneously end the life of millions, it was a simple matter of reversing the process"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

like, you gotta remember that this forum's users are mostly in the 99th percentile of science and technology education.

lol, no

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

akadajet posted:

kevin, why do you hate google so much?

they strung me along for years, through android updates that promised to make things faster, through google Voice, Plus and Wave. i just got tired of poo poo never getting good, getting shut down prematurely or never getting released at all, so now i'm slightly bitter about it. but i also think it's an interesting study in what doesn't work.

it's like star citizen but for real life devices and services that you're supposed to be able to count on.

i also like to read about Microsoft-related schadenfreude.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PleasureKevin posted:

they strung me along for years, through android updates that promised to make things faster, through google Voice, Plus and Wave. i just got tired of poo poo never getting good, getting shut down prematurely or never getting released at all, so now i'm slightly bitter about it. but i also think it's an interesting study in what doesn't work.

it's like star citizen but for real life devices and services that you're supposed to be able to count on.

i also like to read about Microsoft-related schadenfreude.

android owns

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

wrong

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

actually he probably thought that robots are sent to mars not by hiring scientists and engineers and machinists and programmers and technicians all over the country and then stopped there and didnt go on to your second part. people usually dont finish thoughts through. i know i dont

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Hmmmmm. Possy Nossy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

android owns

it only owns the poor saps who can't afford apple

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

akadajet posted:

it only owns the poor saps who can't afford apple

apple is bad, and also dying

the last good apple computer was manufactured in 1992

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Sagebrush posted:

like, you gotta remember that this forum's users are mostly in the 99th percentile of science and technology education.

are you reading the same android whitewashing posts im reading

Sagebrush posted:

after NASA landed curiosity on mars, i saw a youtube comment ranting about the $2.5bn that the program cost, complaining that "they should of spend that money on EARTH JOBS!!!!!!".

chancellor trump will build a wall across our mesosphere and make earth great again

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

fishmech posted:

apple is bad, and also dying

the last good apple computer was manufactured in 1992

They manufactured the iie into 1993 iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

maniacdevnull posted:

They manufactured the iie into 1993 iirc

apple iigs production halted in december 1992

they manufactured the IIe to november 1993, but it was a bad computer by then because it was old as gently caress and no longer meaningfully expandable

• Locked thread