Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«26 »
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Still #1 Herb Defender

Date: April 26th, 2014
Venue: Baltimore Arena
Broadcast: Pay-Per-View, FOX Sports 1, UFC Fight Pass

MAIN CARD (Pay-Per-View, 10:00 p.m. ET)

Light Heavyweight Championship Bout:

(c) Jon Jones

vs.

Glover Teixeira

Light Heavyweight Bout:

Phil Davis

vs.

Anthony Johnson

Middleweight Bout:

Tim Boetsch

vs.

Luke Rockhold

Lightweight Bout:

Yancy Medeiros

vs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bic-kNQe4w

Jim Miller

Featherweight Bout:

Andre Fili

vs.

Max Holloway

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8:00 p.m. ET)

Joseph Benavidez vs. Timothy Elliott
Takanori Gomi vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg
Bethe Correia vs. Jessamyn Duke
Charlie Brenneman vs. Danny Castillo

PRE-PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7:30 p.m. ET)

Chris Beal vs. Patrick Williams

Important Things:

Worst Person Ever Jon "I Hate Segments of the Population ~Because~" Jones selectively picked Glover after deciding that Lusty Gusty put too much of a hurting on him, which now means he shares a corner office with Joe Silva. Sure, Ryan Bader may have cracked Texarkana, but that doesn't distract from the fact that he's been undefeated for like a bazillion years and have wins over notable challengers like James Te Huna and Fabio Maldonado. His last loss was to Ed Herman in 2005. Kinda funny.

On the surface this appears to be a very anti-climactic "co-main event" but it's actually quite important from a few different angles as far as the division is concerned. Will Triangle Man be able to maintain his perceived dominance of the 205lb division? Perhaps after finally getting his poo poo together and not fighting at god drat welterweight and getting comfortable in his own big rear end skin in a proper weight class will prove to be something to behold against dudes not named Mike Kyle.

Boy howdy do I have the vapors, because Luke Rockhold is just as pretty as they come. Also a fairly decent punch man, too. After coming off a tantalizing knock out over the Poo guy we're getting some Gorgeous vs. Brutish action. The Barbarian isn't very easy to put away so expect Rockhold to do a whole lot of weird rear end kickboxing or succumbing to the judo. Really great matchmaking

IT'S MILLER TIME, BABY. Previously scheduled against Bobby Green, one of the more violent fighters to ever grace the octagon is gonna set it straight against Yancy Medeiros. At least I hope, anyway. Worst case scenario Jim gets another no contest after another of his opponents pop for the weed.

Andre Fili brings the pain, son. After taking a short notice fight against Jeremy Larsen and straight taking him to the woodshed, you can expect similar fireworks against Max Holloway. Or maybe Holloway will find his range and just pin him against the cage until we get a sad TAM Man. Total Fight of the Night possibility right here.

Honorable Mentions: belong to Joey-B and Tim Elliot on the prelims, along with Gomi and Jessamyn Duke.

Total Alpha Male Count: This event is a at a reasonable number of three. We can't always get this many shirtless men on one card together, so when we do we should appreciate it.

MMA Snack Rating Savory Herb Cheese Balls

quote:

Ingredients:

1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon tarragon, chopped
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
6 ounces crumbled blue cheese or feta cheese (both work nicely for this recipe), at room temperature
16 Town House Flatbread Crisps Roasted Garlic (crushed)

Directions:

1. Heat olive oil in pan. Add onion. Cook over high heat for 4-6 minutes. Turn heat to low and cook until onions are caramelized (this should take about 20 minutes).

2. Add balsamic vinegar and tarragon. Turn heat to medium, stir and cook for 2 more minutes.

3. Let cool.

4. Mix cream cheese and blue or feta cheese together in a medium-sized bowl. Add the onion mixture to the bowl and continue to mix.

5. Mold the cheese into round ball and wrap in wax paper or parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least three hours.

6. Crush crackers on a plate. Roll cheese ball in crumbs until it is well-coated. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Other Important Things:

The majority of this event is behind a paywall with UFC Fight Pass and Pay-Per-View so there will be not streams posted. The other bit is on cable. Go right ahead and post them if you feel so inclined, I guess.

Login to #mma on synirc.org to give your differing opinions about the band U2.

*This is not the most stacked card in UFC history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Still #1 Herb Defender

(56k No.)

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Who is Yancy Medeiros and how bad is Jim Miller going to murder him.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Raw doggin' it

e:

Grifter posted:

he beat the poo poo out Yves Edwards then got busted for weed. Considering Miller's track record against stoners, we might be seeing an upset here.

Lloyd Boner fucked around with this message at Apr 24, 2014 around 19:16

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Grifter posted:

Yancy is from Hawaii, used to fight at 205 and punches things kinda hard.

Jim Miller is going to eat his face off.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

I'd fuck on the first date but truckers usually just want their salads tossed

Also

This is two weekends in a row with double-hawaiians.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

Also

Note that none of the Hawaiians on either card are actually native hawaiian or really even pacific islander.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mr. Nice! posted:

Note that none of the Hawaiians on either card are actually native hawaiian or really even pacific islander.

Something something da kine

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Canadar. Prophet.
Gomi superfan.

this card is actually really good and i'm excited.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My era is Karate. Karate's back. MACHIDA KARATE!

Never bet against wrestling.

i work near waipahu, oahu, hawaii and every day i mistake 30 different people for max holloway

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My era is Karate. Karate's back. MACHIDA KARATE!

Never bet against wrestling.

Mr. Nice! posted:

gently caress you least oneadem portugee fuckah

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

EXCUSE ME WHILE I SLASH MY WRISTS WITH OCCAM'S RAZOR

I like that Jim Miller highlight video, it's just him beating the poo poo out Matt Wiman

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

Also

maffew buildings posted:

gently caress you least oneadem portugee fuckah

Trigger warning please before you go all pidgin on me.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

People from Hawai seem like the worst people. Violent, racist and overly proud of a lovely rock. Pretty much described a lot of Australians there too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

Also

Aussies love to vacation in hawaii for the charming locals and cheap shopping. You might be on to something.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

BlindSite posted:

People from Hawai seem like the worst people. Violent, racist and overly proud of a lovely rock. Pretty much described a lot of Australians there too.

How do Australians feel about Spam and plate lunch?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

Also

Dude as much as I bitch about Hawaii loving steak plates own.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

...bathed in red and blue flashing lights, all American, broken in half and beautiful.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but is a fat Anthony Johnson really the best opponent they could come up with for Phil Davis?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

*RONK, RONK*
Make that three rard-boiled eggs.

JHomer722 posted:

Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but is a fat Anthony Johnson really the best opponent they could come up with for Phil Davis?

Who would you prefer?

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

...bathed in red and blue flashing lights, all American, broken in half and beautiful.

fatherdog posted:

Who would you prefer?

I haven't the slightest, it just seems like an odd choice after wins against top tier talents like Gustaffson and Machida.

e: yes I know the Gustaffson fight happened more than four years ago, and that pretty much all the highly ranked LHW's are already booked for other fights.

JHomer722 fucked around with this message at Apr 25, 2014 around 04:41

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

"Because a man who doesn't spend time on top of other men can never be a real man."

UFC wanted to do Davis/Sonnen last year but decided to do Sonnen/Shad instead. So Davis/Rumble isn't that bad.

The only realistic guy he could face would be a heavy Mousasi or Bader. Rua already has it hard enough without getting wrestled into retirement, Hendo and Cormier are facing each other, Shad's knee is gone, Machida has dropped a weight class, Vitor failed a test, and Teixeira is fighting for the title. So yeah, everybody else 2-10 at LHW is booked.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

*RONK, RONK*

JHomer722 posted:

I haven't the slightest, it just seems like an odd choice after wins against top tier talents like Gustaffson and Machida.

It's not really an odd choice if nobody can think of a better one.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I would like to see Phil Davis fight Jon Jones and see if he can back up his recent talk to him. I am not a huge fan of Jon Jones but either way it is good to see someone calling him out that is doing pretty decent in the division. I don't really understand what the hell Anthony Johnson does to his body to be able to go from a heavyweight to a welterweight in a matter of months. I can't believe he fought Arlovski little more than a year ago.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Meowbot posted:

I would like to see Phil Davis fight Jon Jones and see if he can back up his recent talk to him. I am not a huge fan of Jon Jones but either way it is good to see someone calling him out that is doing pretty decent in the division. I don't really understand what the hell Anthony Johnson does to his body to be able to go from a heavyweight to a welterweight in a matter of months. I can't believe he fought Arlovski little more than a year ago.

He didn't, that was the problem, he just harmed his performance at best, or missed weight spectacularly - but gassed out quick either way. There are plenty of fighters who get fat between fights, maybe 20+ pounds. And you can cut water & food weight of about 20lbs in the week before the fight. 170 + 40 =210.

Many welterweights in the UFC will get up above 205lb at some point if they get lazy or injured.

I see a 15% chance of Johnson winning by Rd1 KO, otherwise he'll be wrestled on, maybe subbed.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

I have a really hard time seeing why Texeira gets better odds of winning than Gustafsson. Texeira has looked fairly slow and plodding in all his fights so far and all his opponents have been fairly unimpressive at that. He isn't a bad fighter but I really can't see any way he beats Jones except some lucky punch or hail mary submission.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Raw doggin' it

DekeThornton posted:

I have a really hard time seeing why Texeira gets better odds of winning than Gustafsson. Texeira has looked fairly slow and plodding in all his fights so far and all his opponents have been fairly unimpressive at that. He isn't a bad fighter but I really can't see any way he beats Jones except some lucky punch or hail mary submission.

I think it's mainly just because Gus made Jones look beatable. I'd imagine their rematch would have Gus a much smaller underdog.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

*RONK, RONK*

DekeThornton posted:

It's not that Glover's odds are too good, it's that Gus' odds were too bad.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Meowbot posted:

I don't really understand what the hell Anthony Johnson does to his body to be able to go from a heavyweight to a welterweight in a matter of months

He got real fat when he wasn't in camp and would promptly eat himself back into fatness post-fight.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

fatherdog posted:

It's not that Glover's odds are too good, it's that Gus' odds were too bad.

I guess. My perspective is also probably a bit biased by reading a lot of Swedish MMA-media before the Gustafsson fight, where Gustafsson was seen as a much more credible competitor than I guess foreign media did.

EvanSchenck
Sep 8, 2010

Meowbot posted:

I don't really understand what the hell Anthony Johnson does to his body to be able to go from a heavyweight to a welterweight in a matter of months. I can't believe he fought Arlovski little more than a year ago.

He was an unreasonably large welterweight and probably belonged at middleweight. Not only did he cut a little too much for his health, he also had bad dieting habits and was stupid, so he bloated up and missed weight constantly. He very likely ruined his kidneys trying to make those huge cuts all the time, and if you keep doing that apparently they quit on you and your weight cutting ability is diminished forever, so now he can't even really make middleweight. As to his fighting at heavyweight, there's a grand tradition of tubby guys fighting up one or two weight classes and doing very well at heavyweight because most fighters there are awful.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

yeh. I feel good.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack...ra-in-one-punch

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lloyd Boner posted:

I think it's mainly just because Gus made Jones look beatable. I'd imagine their rematch would have Gus a much smaller underdog.

This exactly. Everyone thought Gus would be steamrolled. And this is why we watch fights.

Bundt Cake
Aug 16, 2003
;(

Count Roland posted:

Everyone thought Gus would be steamrolled.

No and not everyone thinks Glovers for the chop either

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Jack Slack posted:

Chris Weidman had one decently ranked win on his record when he fought and handily beat Anderson Silva

Wouldn't he have had two, or had Maia's stock already fallen too far by the time they fought?

Bundt Cake
Aug 16, 2003
;(

Its weird being an mma fan for a long time. Every time a guy keeps a title for a couple years, no one can imagine him losing and every other fighters bad moments become the reasons they can't win against the champ, while the champs bad moments are too far in the past, or show why they won't lose because the champ came back. Happens over and over and over, then they become jaded or quit watching mma and we move on to a new crop of fans who do it again

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

This pretty much makes it sound like Teixeira is hosed, mostly because I think very few fighters pull new things out of their bags, especially at 34.

Bundt Cake posted:

Its weird being an mma fan for a long time. Every time a guy keeps a title for a couple years, no one can imagine him losing and every other fighters bad moments become the reasons they can't win against the champ, while the champs bad moments are too far in the past, or show why they won't lose because the champ came back. Happens over and over and over, then they become jaded or quit watching mma and we move on to a new crop of fans who do it again
I go through this line of thinking a lot, and not just about champs but also about guys who have "never" done something - been stopped, been subbed, etc. It may have never happened before, but it's coming.

Grifter fucked around with this message at Apr 25, 2014 around 18:46

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

yeh. I feel good.

Sprecherscrow posted:

Wouldn't he have had two, or had Maia's stock already fallen too far by the time they fought?

Sherdog said Maia was #6 Middleweight at that time and that Marquardt was #5 and Stann was #7, what a horrible division 185 was and is.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Sherdog said Maia was #6 Middleweight at that time and that Marquardt was #5 and Stann was #7, what a horrible division 185 was and is.

I don't know about is. Between Machida dropping, Vitor's current run, and the three Strikeforce imports, there's a lot of interesting fights at the top of middleweight right now. Certainly more then there were 2 years ago.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Still #1 Herb Defender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9AMziizkRY

The Wayans will begin at 4pm ET / 1pm PT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

yeh. I feel good.

Sprecherscrow posted:

I don't know about is. Between Machida dropping, Vitor's current run, and the three Strikeforce imports, there's a lot of interesting fights at the top of middleweight right now. Certainly more then there were 2 years ago.

It's better but it's still not good.

«26 »