Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

Quellar posted:

Now that they know how it works, the girls should wish for the opposite of what they want and lose on purpose.

I'm pretty sure the system would find out some way to have that result in suffering for the selector. Hell, it doesn't even seem like you choose your wish, but rather it's what you want most of all.

So basically, if you lose WIXOSS, you suffer forever, and if you win, you get turned into a card. This really is Madoka all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Madoka is patriarchal and predatory, Wixoss is borne from victims perpetuating the status quo so to escape from personal torment.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Raenir Salazar posted:

I haven't completely caught up yet, but which episodes/what dialogue in particular implies Ruko is a bit of a nihilist? I'm think I missed something.

As of Episode 5 my thinking is we should add to the title: "The EULA Agreement: The Animation".

Over the course of the show so far she talks about how she's totally unremarkable (with no drive for anything) and her own mother didn't understand her. The only time she feels anything is when battling.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Eej posted:

Over the course of the show so far she talks about how she's totally unremarkable (with no drive for anything) and her own mother didn't understand her. The only time she feels anything is when battling.

Yeah her showing what seems to me like empathy though is throwing me off. So is she deluding herself or what?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

We don't really see much of Ruuko's background other than her mother "didn't understand her." Is her mother dead? Why is she living with Granny? What's the deal with older brother? It seems he doesn't live with them.

I think Ruuko's main issues are that she's not willing to accept who she really is. She has an idealized idea of what and how a person should feel, but she's never met that ideal, and she struggles with this issue. She's not who she thinks she should be.

Ruuko's real self isn't a nice person. Not necessarily, anyway. I don't mean she kicks puppies and pulls the wings off flies for fun. But we've all seen her struggle with enjoying battle for the sake of fighting alone, and I don't think she wants to be that kind of person.

I am hoping we get to see her accept herself and embrace bloodlust. Once she does, I wonder if she'll just continue to play the game and beat other players, or if she'll achieve the ultimate girl status. If so, with no wish, does she suffer the same fate as the other girls that have achieved this status?

I would think that she wouldn't. Each of the girls with a worldly and often stupid wish are more or less getting what they deserve by winning. On the other hand, what about a girl who plays the game simply for the love of playing the game and has no ulterior motive? I would think there's another prize in store for such a girl?

Yeah. I just started watching this anime, and I generally absolutely loathe card-game animes too. I have no desire to play this anime. I'm really glad they haven't gotten too deeply into game mechanics. If they did, I probably watch this.

I wonder how Akir's face got all scarred up like that? Also, how is she living now? Like a bum on the street? How does she eat? These are the kinds of questions that keep me awake, late at night.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I sorta think Ruko's just got some form of autism or MAYBE some early stages of sociopathy. It lines up well with that - typically quiet disposition, alongside a sense of something 'missing' or 'empty', percieved by both herself and the people around her. It's not that she's without empathy, but she lacks some of the parts that often strengthen and correlate to empathy, a lot of it noticable in a lack of outwards drive or passion.

Iona is probably much the same way, and it's very clear she's meant to be a dark mirror to Ruko - brooding opposed to slight naivete, while their LRIGs are sadistic and manipulative against childlike and overeager, respectively.

I had very much thought becoming an Eternal Girl entailed there only being one...but it seems like more of a process. LRIGs find Selectors, Selectors either fail or become LRIGs, then seek to help other Selectors to become free again, and so on. It's finite, however - unless someone is making LRIGs from scratch, eventually there will be no more, as battling continually eliminates both them and Selectors from the pool. At some point there basically has to only be one remaining, and I get the feeling that's something like the 'true' Eternal Girl.

...but this show seems like it has something crazy up its belt yet, so.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The way Ruko's mom was shown looked like shorthand for clinical depression. I wonder if her Mom killed herself, and Ruko's trying to suppress that memory.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Ruko's a sociopath, she definitely cares about her friends. I do think something's a little...off about her mentally, but she also has some self awareness about it. Even if she's drawn to fighting despite neither wanting to win or lose, she still actively tries to avoid it.

The thing that really gets me about the whole WIXOSS system is that on the small scale it's a no win game. Selectors don't get their wishes fulfilled and the punishment for losing is great. The only ones who would really profit are the LRIGs who could return to being human, but even then they're stuck in somebody else's body and their original wish is unfulfilled. In a way, it's worse than QB's contracts in Madoka. He was dishonest and things tended not to work out, but wishes really were granted and some of them were successful.

But on the larger scale, like Gyra_Solune says, the math of the game says that the number of LRIGs/selectors is gradually decreasing every time somebody hits three losses. That implies that eventually there will be only one.

In terms of speculation for the future: now that we know what we do, it raises the possibility that any characters we've already met could be LRIGs whose selectors have won. Something's definitely up with Ruko and Tama, for instance. Tama was just as surprised by the revelations in ep 9 as Ruko was, implying that she doesn't have any memories as a human. My personal theory at this point is that Tama must be one of the original series of LRIGs. She shares her lack of wishes outside of battle with Ruko and Iona, so I'm going to guess that they're also original LRIGs, who've won and swapped into those bodies, with Ruko's memories possibly being erased at some point. That could also explain her mother "not understanding her", and her not understanding her mother, if one day former Ruko disappeared and was replaced with the brain of a sentient playing card.

I've heard a couple places say that this is going to be one of those things where it's going to be 2 split cours with an off season in the middle. That could explain the confusion. Going to peg it now as a cliffhanger at the end of the season, with Ruko winning for a 3rd time. Then Ruko will spend the second half fighting as a LRIG while Tama is unleashed on the real world to battle everything everywhere forever.

I'm fairly pleased by how this is shaping out. Early on I'd felt it was just a "cheap Madoka knockoff designed to sell a TCG", but I've raised my assessment to "pretty good Madoka knockoff designed to sell a TCG."

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Asenshi did a post about the character names.

quote:

Yuzuki, Hitoe, and Akira‘s family names all reference the color they use.
Both Ruuko and Iona‘s family names have references to the sea. Kominato means small port, and Urazoe means inlet.
Hanayo‘s name has the kanji for flower, like with her hair.
Midoriko‘s name means, well, green child. The kanji is changed from “child” to “princess” on the cards though.
Grandma’s given name is Hatsu, meaning first. :gonk:
Yuzuki and Kazuki share the kanji for moon. Look carefully at her new LRIG outfit. The Yu part means play, whereas Ka means scent.
Mayu, the mysterious girl once thought to be called Ener (assuming they’re the same), is written with the kanji for cocoon.
Selector can be split into select or.
The X in WIXOSS represents the pronunciation of cross.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Largepotato posted:

Asenshi did a post about the character names.
Grandma’s given name is Hatsu, meaning first. :gonk:
Why :gonk: ? Unless the series is taking part in the far future it is not an unusual name for her generation.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tonberrytoby posted:

Why :gonk: ? Unless the series is taking part in the far future it is not an unusual name for her generation.

Gonna take a swing and guess that Grandma's one of the first LRIGs/selectors. Would make the bits in earlier episodes where Ruko couldn't beat her at all a good bit of foreshadowing.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
I can't even work up the interest to watch yesterdays episode.
Bright side, I play a lot of the actual card game. So in the end, I guess Takara Tomy won.

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 7, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
God drat that was an intense "poo poo is going down" episode. Yuzuki Prime is redeeming herself, and grandma is lovely.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I have absolutely no goddamn idea what just happened.

So...Was Tama's wish to die or something? And was Iona's wish to be a card? Is it for some mystical reason or does she just want to hang out in Ruko's back pocket all day to stare at her butt?

Selector Inf- i'm sorry, Selector Spread Wixoss, you have explaining to do.

...but it was rad nonetheless.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

I have absolutely no goddamn idea what just happened.

So...Was Tama's wish to die or something? And was Iona's wish to be a card? Is it for some mystical reason or does she just want to hang out in Ruko's back pocket all day to stare at her butt?

Selector Inf- i'm sorry, Selector Spread Wixoss, you have explaining to do.

...but it was rad nonetheless.

It's hinted that Tama's wish was to be with Ruko always, which hints that Ruko used to be Tama's LRIG and Iona's wish is to be a LRIG of people she finds worthy, forever battling

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Arkeus posted:

It's hinted that Tama's wish was to be with Ruko always, which hints that Ruko used to be Tama's LRIG and Iona's wish is to be a LRIG of people she finds worthy, forever battling

This would certainly explain the flashback with her mother "not understanding her", as that is probably when the switch happened. That was a great end for the season, can't wait for more.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Iona is the greatest troll.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Tama didn't want to LRIGify Ruuko. Iona just wanted to fight under the greatest battorumaster ever. Imagine a boot stomping a middle-schooler's face, forever.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Tama didn't want to LRIGify Ruuko. Iona just wanted to fight under the greatest battorumaster ever. Imagine a boot stomping a middle-schooler's face, forever.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012
Goddamn! That was great! It's like Okada saw the Madoka comments and decided to throw a curve ball. It makes sense too since Ruuko turned out to be so loved that no one was willing to let her sacrifice herself.

I was really surprised with Iona. I knew she was creepy but I never thought she'd go "I want to watch you while you sleep" creepy.

Where the hell was Akira?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

It's back

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
And it's still psychologically disturbing. Particularly Iona at the end of the first episode. Jesus christ.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Iona finally speaking up and the ensuing reaction was great

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Only a matter of time before Ruko batorus and everything goes to poo poo because of it somehow.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Trying to remember all the rules from the first season. Any wish that Ruko makes now will probably require Iona's agreement, won't it?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Armor-Piercing posted:

Trying to remember all the rules from the first season.

The rules don't matter because the show keeps breaking them anyway.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I guess that's true - I couldn't remember if it specifically broke its own rules or if it was just that we didn't know all of them yet, but it's about the same either way.

I remember enjoying the first season overall but parts of it were pretty frustrating/dumb, like when two of them were being chased and "bullied" into playing a game with Akira.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think Mayu is one of those types of people who likes the idea of being a fair judge with standards but on the other hand can't stand not having things happen the way she wants, and will go to ever slightly increasingly greater lengths to bend the rules to get the result she wants. Like a DM whose players are smarter than you.

So there's rules, but she's willing to bend them for the greater purpose; the consequences are real but not perfect. Ruko's new friend there with the Friends wish somehow seemingly managed to break out of it through circumstances and force of will and probably some rules lawyering.

I like how there's still a subtle psychological factor going on despite the stakes escalation.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think Mayu is one of those types of people who likes the idea of being a fair judge with standards but on the other hand can't stand not having things happen the way she wants, and will go to ever slightly increasingly greater lengths to bend the rules to get the result she wants. Like a DM whose players are smarter than you.

So there's rules, but she's willing to bend them for the greater purpose; the consequences are real but not perfect. Ruko's new friend there with the Friends wish somehow seemingly managed to break out of it through circumstances and force of will and probably some rules lawyering.

I like how there's still a subtle psychological factor going on despite the stakes escalation.

Not seen any rule-bending whatsoever so far though? I mean, each time we get revealed more about the rules there were already blatant hints about that change in the previous 2/3 episodes.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
This series is getting even more psychologically hosed-up than before. I'm kinda impressed actually.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The most interesting revelation is that the wishes aren't on the level of Kyubei's or the Grail; but have to be something you were at least in theory capable of performing. So likely someone couldn't wish to be a god as your LRIG would just reject it.

Arkeus posted:

Not seen any rule-bending whatsoever so far though? I mean, each time we get revealed more about the rules there were already blatant hints about that change in the previous 2/3 episodes.

The organizer/instigator of this whole mess blatantly interfered for her own purposes, that's gotta at least bend some rules.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, it not being like the Grail seems like a good thing. :v:

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

The organizer/instigator of this whole mess blatantly interfered for her own purposes, that's gotta at least bend some rules.

But the instigator interfering was hinted at rather heavily before it happened, so... Beside, those are 'rules of the genre' more than 'rules shown in the show'.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, it not being like the Grail seems like a good thing. :v:

Well I mean, aside from the fact that the Grail seems to morphed into some sort of Literal Genie that perverts your wishes in theory if I wished for "I want to become Immortal" it drat well could grant it. The Eternal Girls though don't seem to have that level of power.

Arkeus posted:

But the instigator interfering was hinted at rather heavily before it happened, so... Beside, those are 'rules of the genre' more than 'rules shown in the show'.

The hinting doesn't... Huh? She's the instigator and I presume some sort of watcher/organizer for an ongoing tournament to produce magical girls with some sort of prize for those who succeed, this implies there's some sort of rule structure and consistency; the girls enter expecting to have their wishes granted; they don't expect to have the organizer secretly whisper temptations to their Wish Granting side kick to faff about at the last second. That's definitely breaking the spirit about this being a 'fair' process. Lies notwithstanding.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 13, 2014

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

The hinting doesn't... Huh? She's the instigator and I presume some sort of watcher/organizer for an ongoing tournament to produce magical girls with some sort of prize for those who succeed, this implies there's some sort of rule structure and consistency; the girls enter expecting to have their wishes granted; they don't expect to have the organizer secretly whisper temptations to their Wish Granting side kick to faff about at the last second. That's definitely breaking the spirit about this being a 'fair' process. Lies notwithstanding.

I...huh.... what show have you been watching? It's been obvious since the first episode that there was nothing fair about the process and that the wish-granting was a lie from the start was hinted really fast.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
Is Wixoss a better Madoka lite than Daybreak Illusion?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

usb teledildonics posted:

If so, I want an episode dedicated to a young, moeblob Iona.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

usb teledildonics posted:

So far yes! In some ways its actually on par with Madoka in being really subtle but it could still go in either direction.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

We're in the second season and after four episodes of whining about missing Tama, Ruuko finally battles and wins by some amazing super-cheat or whatever. I would appreciate knowing why the hell any of this system even exists. At least with Madoka, it was the universe and undoing the second law of thermodynamics (I think) at stake. All we know is some nasty and sadistic magical girl is turning LIRGs loose on unsuspecting school-girls and pulling a dirty bait-and-switch on them at the end.

Where did the original LIRGs even come from?

Also, at the beginning of the first season, Tama couldn't even speak coherently. They never really did anything/explained that, I don't think. Any ideas? I wonder if she was some kind of first-time LIRG from the LIRG-protoplasm and grew in Ruu's presence and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Dan7el posted:

We're in the second season and after four episodes of whining about missing Tama, Ruuko finally battles and wins by some amazing super-cheat or whatever. I would appreciate knowing why the hell any of this system even exists. At least with Madoka, it was the universe and undoing the second law of thermodynamics (I think) at stake. All we know is some nasty and sadistic magical girl is turning LIRGs loose on unsuspecting school-girls and pulling a dirty bait-and-switch on them at the end.

Where did the original LIRGs even come from?

Also, at the beginning of the first season, Tama couldn't even speak coherently. They never really did anything/explained that, I don't think. Any ideas? I wonder if she was some kind of first-time LIRG from the LIRG-protoplasm and grew in Ruu's presence and such.

That was hilarious. When she finally has a change of heart mid battle and her opponent was like "sorry but this isn't a story, real life you cant turn the tables just because you want to" and then Ruuko busts out the hacks to win anyway.

• Locked thread