Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I haven't completely caught up yet, but which episodes/what dialogue in particular implies Ruko is a bit of a nihilist? I'm think I missed something.

As of Episode 5 my thinking is we should add to the title: "The EULA Agreement: The Animation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Eej posted:

Over the course of the show so far she talks about how she's totally unremarkable (with no drive for anything) and her own mother didn't understand her. The only time she feels anything is when battling.

Yeah her showing what seems to me like empathy though is throwing me off. So is she deluding herself or what?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think Mayu is one of those types of people who likes the idea of being a fair judge with standards but on the other hand can't stand not having things happen the way she wants, and will go to ever slightly increasingly greater lengths to bend the rules to get the result she wants. Like a DM whose players are smarter than you.

So there's rules, but she's willing to bend them for the greater purpose; the consequences are real but not perfect. Ruko's new friend there with the Friends wish somehow seemingly managed to break out of it through circumstances and force of will and probably some rules lawyering.

I like how there's still a subtle psychological factor going on despite the stakes escalation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The most interesting revelation is that the wishes aren't on the level of Kyubei's or the Grail; but have to be something you were at least in theory capable of performing. So likely someone couldn't wish to be a god as your LRIG would just reject it.

Arkeus posted:

Not seen any rule-bending whatsoever so far though? I mean, each time we get revealed more about the rules there were already blatant hints about that change in the previous 2/3 episodes.

The organizer/instigator of this whole mess blatantly interfered for her own purposes, that's gotta at least bend some rules.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, it not being like the Grail seems like a good thing. :v:

Well I mean, aside from the fact that the Grail seems to morphed into some sort of Literal Genie that perverts your wishes in theory if I wished for "I want to become Immortal" it drat well could grant it. The Eternal Girls though don't seem to have that level of power.

Arkeus posted:

But the instigator interfering was hinted at rather heavily before it happened, so... Beside, those are 'rules of the genre' more than 'rules shown in the show'.

The hinting doesn't... Huh? She's the instigator and I presume some sort of watcher/organizer for an ongoing tournament to produce magical girls with some sort of prize for those who succeed, this implies there's some sort of rule structure and consistency; the girls enter expecting to have their wishes granted; they don't expect to have the organizer secretly whisper temptations to their Wish Granting side kick to faff about at the last second. That's definitely breaking the spirit about this being a 'fair' process. Lies notwithstanding.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 13, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

usb teledildonics posted:

Is Wixoss a better Madoka lite than Daybreak Illusion?

So far yes! In some ways its actually on par with Madoka in being really subtle but it could still go in either direction.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've caught up, I'm still not sure what's happening; I slightly suspect the writing direction changed at some point though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That was a pretty good stabbing, the sound and atmosphere worked even though I was a dunce and accidentally spoiled myself because I can't apparently look up when the new eps are released, how does that work though? Isn't it a pen? How do piece someone with a friggin' pen? Is there a deeper motivation I missed or is Akira just pure yandere crazy?

• Locked thread