Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Again you're making something that's a massive pain in the rear end look effortless. The snake boss? He's easy. Predicable, telegraphs, doesn't hurt that much. Except you need to always keep him in sight if you want to dodge - hello, lava pits.
I really like that fight; they took a not very menacing enemy and made him a much bigger challenge just by shifting the arena layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

My favorite bit of the last video was the part where the most dangerous critter out there for you seems to not be the green demons with swords, the razor-clawed gorillas, or the female ninjas... it's the drat hornets.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

My favorite bit of the last video was the part where the most dangerous critter out there for you seems to not be the green demons with swords, the razor-clawed gorillas, or the female ninjas... it's the drat hornets.

Yeah the game is funny like that, hell most of the time it's best to use a nuclear warhead on a swarm of hornets then it is to use on anything else, and the idea of a old kung-fu master just punching bees to death never fails to make me laugh

I've also been taking a look into the Shadowarrior 0.90 beta and discovered some really neat stuff, most interesting of which is that the guardian heads tertiary-fire functions exactly like the flame wave the shadow ninjas shoot out; no idea why they changed it as it functions perfectly fine (save for some collision detection issues that probably have to do with it being a beta) my only guess is that they felt the player was already powerful enough

Regdren
Aug 3, 2007
What's a shmup?
Oh hey look it's more videos. Long overdue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJUaGROhw24

And this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCdjkJhCnJ4

Wildstar beta and then some real life issues got in the way for a while. I'd go into details but this isn't E/N. I do apologize though. A lot of work has already gone into this video series and I have no intention of abandoning it, I promise.

It's pretty obvious that my commentary partner Jay loves him some uzis and grenades. I'm more partial to the rocket launcher, personally. It's my favorite tool for making things die very fast. If anyone else wants to share their favored weapons and what you like about them, I'd be interested in reading that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hara-kiri harbor. I was honestly kind of disappointed to see you pick your way through that place carefully, since the first time runs where you just try to explore and manage to set every single enemy in the first area on you at once tend to lead to pretty goddamn glorious fireworks - I recently watched a friend try to play the original SW (after having beaten the remake) and kept being painfully reminded of how many of those levels are literal minefields.

As for guntalk, my preferred combination is (apart from the obligatory nuke) stickybombs/railgun. They're both kinda rare but among the more satisfying weapons to use - sticky bombs in particular I have very fond memories of as I originally went to this game from Duke3d, where messing around with pipebombs is probably the most fun part of the game. The railgun just feels cool and like a weapon you didn't get to use too often back then - it's got no equivalent in Doom or Duke3d, for instance.

I really should try replaying this.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Don't sweat it dude. I appreciate all the effort&preparation you put into this Lp, so take all the time you need.

I too remember Hara-kiri harbor for the high density of enemies. They sure fragged me a lot when I was younger! When it comes to guns, it's hard to not love the riot gun and the grenade launcher. Both are limited in their use, yes, but have cool designs and are satisfying to use. The riot gun is really iconic for me when it comes to this game, and it's a shame that it has such a small magazine. I'm also a fan of the double uzi, but mostly because I dig akimbo guns in general. I think my least favorite gun is the rail gun. I just remember getting killed a lot with it. Probably due to the low fire rate and the bullshit difference between crosshair and beam.

Regdren
Aug 3, 2007
What's a shmup?
The grenade launcher is interesting to me just because it was such a gutsy design. The designers obviously wanted the player to use it a lot, considering the huge ammo pickups. It's often one of the early weapons on the map too. The design of the weapon is such that you will not see the enemies that you kill with it most of the time, which from a designers standpoint seems almost unthinkable. A lot of work was put into those enemies and the designers usually want to show them off in-game and make the player fight them face to face as much as possible. So, it took some bravery to include an indirect weapon like that and make it a major part of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBZodhYwh4s

The latest video. I find that careful use of ammunition is becoming more important as I progress in the levels. Not to the level of, say, Blood where I need a plan for every stick of dynamite, but enough that I have to pay close attention to what I'm doing. This kind of progression would be pretty easy to miss in a non-cold start run, which is another reason I appreciate the effort put into level design.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I wish they incorporated the traps into the level design more. The few places I remember them being in always felt out of place and not very well thought of given the enemy placement.
Of course, it's entirely possible I forgot all the important stuff - this LP is pretty much a journey of rediscovery for me.

Regdren
Aug 3, 2007
What's a shmup?
I have mixed feelings about traps. They have caused me a great deal of annoyance when the way to bypass them is unclear, there will be an example of this a few levels ahead. I do think the game is better with traps than without them though.

One of my personal favorite levels coming up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwxy64hk00k

There's a little bonus at the end so please watch through the whole thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I always thought Bulletstorm's plot and dialogue was so dumb because the whole thing is a parody of the prototypical sci-fi FPS but hey, to each his own. I also prefer 2013 to the original - it should be noted that the katana does take a back seat to the guns on higher difficulties simply because enemies take so long to kill with it it becomes difficult to use it safely. Then again, if you're playing on Heroic, you're probably not playing for points.

Anyway, watching you use the ripper heart is a joy. I never liked the thing and normally just solve those rooms by throwing a nuke and running for it.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

anilEhilated posted:

I always thought Bulletstorm's plot and dialogue was so dumb because the whole thing is a parody of the prototypical sci-fi FPS but hey, to each his own. I also prefer 2013 to the original - it should be noted that the katana does take a back seat to the guns on higher difficulties simply because enemies take so long to kill with it it becomes difficult to use it safely. Then again, if you're playing on Heroic, you're probably not playing for points.

Anyway, watching you use the ripper heart is a joy. I never liked the thing and normally just solve those rooms by throwing a nuke and running for it.

Yeah, I found it interesting how the remake makes the katana into its' own set of subweapons, more or less. Five different maneuvers with it, six if you include the shurikens really made it come into its' own as a weapon, especially if you're having trouble with health or ammo, you can just whip it out(:pervert:) and go to town slicing and dicing things.

I disagree with you on the gunplay, however. On higher difficulties, the katana starts taking way too long to kill things, and enemy melee attacks, especially from enraged enemies, are extremely dangerous and very good at slicing Wang up. Nobody wants their Wang sliced up. Not to mention the basic mooks that they start throwing at you in hilariously high volume can all block your normal katana strikes, even moreso if they're enraged.

Don't really like how far they toned down the RipperDemon Heart though. All I found myself using it for is quickly dealing with those tower shield jerks. It's still an amazingly fun game if you can ignore the rating system, though.

PS I really like original Shadow Warrior and this LP is ace as hell, Regdren. :sun:

Kobold eBooks fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 2, 2014

Regdren
Aug 3, 2007
What's a shmup?
It's another Shadow Warrior video!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y5AnimJJbw

I'm glad you're all enjoying the series so far. I've noticed that Jay is kinda like my safety net, jumping in when I'm running out of things to say. That's not exactly why I wanted it to be dual commentary but it seems like a nice perk.

I will admit that Bulletstorm's story is not a big draw for it. I do like a lot of the weapon design and little achievements though, even if some are too much of a pain to do more than once.

Shadow Warrior 2013 is kind of a thorny subject for me. As mentioned in the video, it's hard for me to play freestyle and just do what's fun when i'm constantly being graded on it. There's a Youtube series of Shadow Warrior 2013 in heroic mode that had a lot of influence on me. Here's one of the videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T-NduPNPMo

Some things to note from this person's overall play: very high marks on the fights. Very little gun use. Fast, simple and effective killing in ways that score lots of points. Repetitive as hell. Doesn't feel at all like Shadow Warrior Classic. Not that I think it's necessarily a bad game objectively, it just is that way when I play it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

So, I've made it through to video 6 of the other guy's play through and it's amazing how much I've been spoiled by this subforum, as his drat videos are almost unwatchable to me thanks to the repetitive nature and lack of entertainment. I find myself skipping ahead in the videos past the fight scenes to get to the actual cut scenes, which are pretty funny.

Regdren
Aug 3, 2007
What's a shmup?
It is time. Time...for the Sumo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML3WdrGdPAc

If the previous non-secret level was one of my favorite to play, this one was one of my favorites to edit. Lots of weird and interesting things happened and I enjoyed showing it all off. I hope you feel the same way about watching it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Regdren posted:

Shadow Warrior 2013 is kind of a thorny subject for me. As mentioned in the video, it's hard for me to play freestyle and just do what's fun when i'm constantly being graded on it. There's a Youtube series of Shadow Warrior 2013 in heroic mode that had a lot of influence on me. Here's one of the videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T-NduPNPMo

Some things to note from this person's overall play: very high marks on the fights. Very little gun use. Fast, simple and effective killing in ways that score lots of points. Repetitive as hell. Doesn't feel at all like Shadow Warrior Classic. Not that I think it's necessarily a bad game objectively, it just is that way when I play it.

Wow that does look boring as hell but really that guy is exploiting a quirk in the system over and over and you don't need to use that monotonous a play style to five star the encounters. He's probably getting 3 times the requirements. The score system is supposed to enforce the same "use the best weapon for the situation" feeling of the original game that I enjoyed back in the day but they had a little too much fun with the katana in development and made it ridiculously good at raking in karma.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
You're making me REALLY wanna get my Shadow Warrior 2013 skills up to par and give that game a shot at an LP, as it looks like it was overlooked by many or just kind panned because it is kind of a slow burn. There's also an enemy later on that I haven't faced in Hard or higher yet and I'm not entirely confident how to deal with that guy, especially one of the later fights where it's two of them at once. :v:

As far as the shotgun in that game goes, it's pretty standard modern FPS fare and is a little disappointing, or would be if the damage it could pump out wasn't absolutely insane.

vv Then maybe I'll start honing my commentary muscles. :v: vv

Kobold eBooks fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 8, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Shh, don't tell anyone, but I'd like to try doing this particular LP in about a month. Don't let that stop you though!
Anyway, the secret levels in SW. I always found them pretty lackluster, you go in them expecting some sort of clever gimmick and there really isn't one. That being said, the sky palace sure looks cool.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 8, 2014

Regdren
Aug 3, 2007
What's a shmup?
I liked the second secret level much more than the first. The layout was interesting to me for reasons I'll describe when we get there. Sumo Sky Palace also has a pretty fun design because of how the level is explored from a lot of different angles. The designers really seem to know how to get maximum use out of a given amount of space.

The shotgun is pretty straightforward but I wouldn't call it boring. That's mostly because there are two distinct ranges it works in depending on the firing mode, which makes it more of a multipurpose combat tool than most video game shotguns.

Regdren
Aug 3, 2007
What's a shmup?
I don't really have any excuses for this one. Video was posted a while ago, never got to updating the thread.

Here's E2L8, late but hopefully still okay to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO9vv7xD4DE

Towel secrets. I don't see too many of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I really like how much mileage you get out of the sword! Back in the day, I thought it was the coolest thing due to the kill animations of the thugs, but eventually stopped using it because I had all those guns. Your playstyle really shows how useful the sword can be.

• Locked thread