Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found
There is no middle ground.

I feel like I’m not saving enough for retirement, not paying enough on my crushing student loans, and letting those 2 things prevent me from living life. Here's my current budget:

Monthly Income
Gross income: $5400
401k: $324 (6% of gross pay)
HSA: $83.34
Net income after tax and deductions: $3600
Girlfriend’s contribution: $550
Total net deposits per month: $4150

Monthly Expenses
Rent: $1100
Utilities: $200
Groceries and Hygiene (Walmart): $450
Cell Phone: $100
Car insurance: $75
Internet: $35
DirecTV: $75
Gym: $25
Discover Student Loan (14000, 3.25%): $50
Citibank Student Loan (4030, 3.5%): $20
ACS Student Loan (2450, 5.0%): $50
Wells Fargo Sudent Loan (4000, 2.5%): $75
Federal Student Loans (68600, 5.4%-6.8%): $250
Parent Student Loan (12600, 0%): $200
Additional toward Student Loan Principal: $250
Emergency Savings ($8000 saved so far): $500
Engagement Ring Savings: $250
Miscellaneous: $400
Total: $4105

Assets
Emergency Savings Account: $8000
Engagement Ring Savings: $1500
T. Rowe Price 401k (invested in the T. Rowe Price 2055 Target Retirement Fund): $1150 (don't judge me, I just started my career)
Vehicle: 2001 Honda Accord, which is getting to be a real junker, but I own it completely

Student Loans
In total, its about $105,000. They are all currently in deferment, due to the fact that I am working on my Master’s. Fret not, my employer is reimbursing me for tuition. I've made it a point to at least pay more than the interest that is accruing, plus the $250 a month currently. They should be paid off by the time I retire....
I racked up around $20,000 during my first whirl at college. I went back to school in August of 2009 and graduated in December of 2013 with a BS in Electrical Engineering. I now work as an IC Design Engineer (I'm 29).

The good news is that I have no debt besides the student loans. Every day, I change my mind on what I should be tackling. One day, I want to shift everything toward paying off the student loans. The next, I want to max out my 401k contributions and open a Roth IRA. The next, I want to focus on saving for an engagement ring, followed by the wedding (no help from parents here), followed by a house. What is the smartest play for me?

I live in Colorado Springs, which is certainly no Silicon Valley, but I'm at least employed using my degree at a good entry level salary. I'm always hearing about layoffs in my industry though, and my company isn't in the best financial situation (i.e. we can only really see 6 months into the future, and if we don't pick up more work between now and then, we stop getting paid), so I really want to build up my emergency savings to ~20k. My finances are just stressing the crap out of me and I'm hoping opening a dialogue and hearing what my fellow goons think will help me develop a more solid plan.

alwayslost fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
Ditch DirectTV and get netflix if you have to. Buy a <$1000 engagement ring, you can still get a real dead african child rock if you're in love with that idea. Create a budget for your wedding, invite a reasonable amount of people. Get a keg or two and hire someone to dispense for a couple hours instead of doing an open bar, etc...

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Have you looked into consolidating your loans? (I'm not sure if this is possible while deferred)

Is the interest subsidized on the federal ones currently? If so, you could possibly divert some of that money elsewhere.

The girlfriend looks to be paying half of rent, maybe you could ask for her to split groceries/utilities/DirecTV too?

What are you spending $100+ a week at Walmart on?

I'm not really qualified to say if you should be going all-out on either the 401k or loans, and can't really advise you what to do there, but I think the last few years of my 401k has earned double digit interest so you probably want to keep a healthy contribution there. Especially with the late start on opening one.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Knightmare posted:

That looks like food and toiletries.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
You are taking 20 percent of your net and putting it into savings. Not that its a bad thing, but its going to be tight if you continue doing it like this. I don't see where the extra cash you are talking about is coming from.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Stop saving for a ring - the $1500 you have is all the ring you can afford, or possibly already more than you can afford. Between the ring money and the extra principal to loans, you have $500/mo free. Decide which is more important to you, emergency fund or loans, and send that $500 there. Right now I think it's the emergency fund based on what you're saying.

You can let interest accumulate on the loans which would give you another $450/month. Again, it sounds like emergency savings might be more important than the interest accumulation right now. I'm not quite sure how to make that decision, I think it's a combo of the interest costs and your estimation of your job stability.

Also, if you can reduce your 401k or HSA contributions without losing a match or messing up your health care budget, do that too.

Just suggestions :)

Oh, and cancel DirecTV and get on a cheaper cell plan. That'll save you $100+, of which you can use, oh, $50 to improve whatever "living life" means to you.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 25, 2014

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
With an HSA you can contribute directly via transfer from an existing checking or savings account with the same net effect on your tax burden. I move money ad-hoc through my HSA rather than set a fixed monthly deposit to give me more flexibility with that money and I love it. You can always max it out in the first quarter of next year if you want to use it as an investment vehicle.

Also your girlfriend's contribution is extremely low. What's her deal?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
SloMo, you do not need more flexibility with your money. I agree girlfriend should be paying half of utilities and groceries, assuming not too much disparity in salary, but maybe she is already.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
$105k in student loans :smith:

Yeah, cut the Direct TV and get Netflix and a Antenna if you have to watch live sports. Besides that just be frugal (see if an Aldi is in your area for groceries) and pay down the debt. I know the Federal Student loan has the highest interest rate but my guess is it's better to focus on the smaller ones.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
Why are you spending so much on rent and why don't you have roommates instead?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
On the ring front, stay away from local jewelers. I bought my wife one for ~1700 total a few years ago. Found a .8 ct diamond on pricescope.com and shipped it off to this guy to set it in a cool as hell titanium tension setting for around $500.

https://www.boonerings.com

The tension set rings make the diamond look huge. She still gets compliments on it to this day for whatever that's worth. Do your research on the diamond if she insists on having one. The SI (small inclusion) categories are the sweet spot because they still look fine but come with a pretty big price break. Diamonds are dumb as hell but my wife still loves hers so I figure it was worth the relatively small investment.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
As far as your budget is concerned, are they going to raise your pay when you graduate? 65k seems a bit on the low side for anything other than entry level engineering work. If you can get into that 80-90k range that would be a way bigger deal than fixing your budget. Its not like you have an egregious number of expenses you can easily cut

Edit: just saw you graduated last year so the salary makes sense. Keep focused on your career and keep up with the student payments. Add any new pay raises to that debt and you should be in good shape in a couple of years.

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 26, 2014

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

alwayslost posted:

Monthly Expenses
The good news is that I have no debt besides the student loans. Every day, I change my mind on what I should be tackling. One day, I want to shift everything toward paying off the student loans. The next, I want to max out my 401k contributions and open a Roth IRA. The next, I want to focus on saving for an engagement ring, followed by the wedding (no help from parents here), followed by a house. What is the smartest play for me?

I would suggest stopping the engagement ring savings for now, drastically reducing the amount you put into emergency savings and working on that debt. Is there any reason you can't immediately pay off that ACS student loan? I get that you're intending that money to be used for emergencies, but paying it off means you'll ultimately be paying less in interest.

froglet fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 26, 2014

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found

Knightmare posted:

Have you looked into consolidating your loans? (I'm not sure if this is possible while deferred)

From what I understand, I can't combine private and federal student loans into one. I could get a private student loan consolidation for the smaller ones, but I believe I'll lose my in-school deferment.

Knightmare posted:

Is the interest subsidized on the federal ones currently? If so, you could possibly divert some of that money elsewhere.

Some of them, yes. The amount I am paying on all of the loans is the interest on the unsubsidized loans, with a little extra cushion (5-10 bucks on each loan).

Knightmare posted:

The girlfriend looks to be paying half of rent, maybe you could ask for her to split groceries/utilities/DirecTV too?

She's working on her Master's of Social Work, and only works part-time in addition to her unpaid internship. We agreed to live together knowing it helps us both in the long run (her apartment before was 675, and now we split groceries, and I get half my rent paid).

Knightmare posted:

Groceries, toiletries, and that's also the gas category (~$40 per week).

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found

mkay0 posted:

You are taking 20 percent of your net and putting it into savings. Not that its a bad thing, but its going to be tight if you continue doing it like this. I don't see where the extra cash you are talking about is coming from.

Its not really extra cash, I'm looking at the $500 for emergency savings, $250 extra on student loans, $250 for the engagement ring, and potentially ~$200 in spending cash per month, for a total of about $1200 that can be moved around.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

If you're splitting groceries with the girlfriend and your portion is $450, you need to seriously cut that back.

How much $$ do you think you'll spend on the ring, and when? 6 months, 12 months, 18 months?

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found

slap me silly posted:

Stop saving for a ring - the $1500 you have is all the ring you can afford, or possibly already more than you can afford. Between the ring money and the extra principal to loans, you have $500/mo free. Decide which is more important to you, emergency fund or loans, and send that $500 there. Right now I think it's the emergency fund based on what you're saying.

So is the whole "3 months salary" guideline bullshit? My girlfriend wants a diamond, and unfortunately she is convinced I'm buying her a 5k ring (with little consideration of my opinion, lol). I know its not the smartest financial decision, and I think diamonds are loving retarded, but I want her to be happy, too.

slap me silly posted:

You can let interest accumulate on the loans which would give you another $450/month. Again, it sounds like emergency savings might be more important than the interest accumulation right now. I'm not quite sure how to make that decision, I think it's a combo of the interest costs and your estimation of your job stability.

I really don't want to see my total student loan debt grow. I can see moving the $250 from extra principal, but I'd rather not stop paying at least the interest.

slap me silly posted:

Also, if you can reduce your 401k or HSA contributions without losing a match or messing up your health care budget, do that too.
[quote]

For whatever crappy reason (probably the 10 senior engineers making ~150k who are playing catch-up with their 401k's), 401k match is suspended right now. However, we actually have a HSA match, which I'm at the max for 100%. Its only $41.67 a month, and gets me another $41.67, so I don't want to change that. I'm confident I'll be reliably employed through at least September, and I'm actively looking for other employment now, so I'm not THAT scared that I'll be unemployed for months on end. We do have more irons in the fire at work, so it might be a moot point, I just want to be prepared.

[quote="slap me silly" post="428788405"]
Oh, and cancel DirecTV and get on a cheaper cell plan. That'll save you $100+, of which you can use, oh, $50 to improve whatever "living life" means to you.

I'm in a 2 year contract with DirecTV. The cell phone bill is high because I'm financing the phone through T-Mobile.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

alwayslost posted:

So is the whole "3 months salary" guideline bullshit?
Of course it is: http://blog.priceonomics.com/post/45768546804/diamonds-are-bullshit

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found

antiga posted:

If you're splitting groceries with the girlfriend and your portion is $450, you need to seriously cut that back.

How much $$ do you think you'll spend on the ring, and when? 6 months, 12 months, 18 months?

As I said, that includes gas and toiletries. Gas itself is like $180 a month. I will admit, my cushion for extra spending (the Misc. category) is probably way too big.

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found

EB Nulshit posted:

Why are you spending so much on rent and why don't you have roommates instead?

I spend 550 on rent. The 550 from my girlfriend is for rent. Yes, she should be contributing at least another 100 for the utilities, but I'm a nice guy, and she only makes 800 a month working part-time trying to finish school.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Start talking to your girlfriend about your finances before you propose, because having the person you are marrying on board with how and when to spend money is much more important and has a lot more impact on your bottom line than a mere $105k in student loans. In addition, no matter how much you love her right now she's not a cosigner on those loans and will never be responsible for them in a divorce, so if she doesn't buy into the idea of a budget it's your head on the line for the rest of the marriage.

Related to this, what to put money into first depends on two things:

-the interest rate on the loans (for example, I took out $100K a decade ago and locked it in at 3.5%, so I'll be paying the minimum forever)
-those loans are yours while any assets after your marriage will be held in common; again, no matter how much you love her, this stuff matters - which goes triple if she's asking for a $5K ring

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

alwayslost posted:

I'm in a 2 year contract with DirecTV. The cell phone bill is high because I'm financing the phone through T-Mobile.
You still need to compare the cost of breaking the contract with the cost of keeping it. In the case of DirecTV it looks like you could reduce your overall expenditure by maybe 80% if you break the contract right now? Look into it. Same for the phone.

The ring thing - yes, it's entirely a marketing ploy and you two are falling for it :) Along with most of the rest of the country so yeah. Her love for pretty rings is totally legit but you two should have a real conversation about the benefit of a pretty ring vs the benefit of having thousands of dollars less debt hanging over your life together.

Other than that, my main suggestion is to make the decision now, emergency savings or loans? And then stick to it until there's a change in your circumstances: you reach the emergency savings goal, you finish the degree, you get married, you get fired, you get a raise, whatever.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

alwayslost posted:

So is the whole "3 months salary" guideline bullshit? My girlfriend wants a diamond, and unfortunately she is convinced I'm buying her a 5k ring (with little consideration of my opinion, lol). I know its not the smartest financial decision, and I think diamonds are loving retarded, but I want her to be happy, too.
It's total 100% bullshit made up by an industry that would have said a year's salary if they thought they could get away with it.

Ask her mom if there are any heirloom diamonds in the family you could get reset. My ring cost less than $200 because I just got my grandmother's necklace reset as a ring, and drat, it looks amazing and is way more sentimental for me than anything else I could have gotten for thousands and thousands of dollars.

The part that worries me most is this: "with little consideration of my opinion, lol" because if you can't talk about something like this together, you should not be getting married. In my experience, my girlfriends who have insisted on X amount of spending on an engagement ring are also usually the crazy entitled ones. I love them as friends, but I pity the man who has to pay for their upkeep.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Move into a cheaper apartment - do you live in New York or something?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I would shift your emergency fund allocation into the loans unless your career is just unbelievably unstable. $400 a month allocated to miscellaneous is silly as well.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
People are missing the obvious, marry a richer woman or one with more earning potential. You marry into money, you don't earn it.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

This might be an obvious question, but are you making sure that your student loan payments are going towards principle? There might be rules that govern how you are allowed to repay (ie, you might have to pay interest first each month, or something like that) but paying down principle is way better, if you can do it.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Not sure why everyone is fixated on rent. $1100 isn't that much for any decent sized city. Where do you live OP?

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

moana posted:

It's total 100% bullshit made up by an industry that would have said a year's salary if they thought they could get away with it.

Ask her mom if there are any heirloom diamonds in the family you could get reset. My ring cost less than $200 because I just got my grandmother's necklace reset as a ring, and drat, it looks amazing and is way more sentimental for me than anything else I could have gotten for thousands and thousands of dollars.

The part that worries me most is this: "with little consideration of my opinion, lol" because if you can't talk about something like this together, you should not be getting married. In my experience, my girlfriends who have insisted on X amount of spending on an engagement ring are also usually the crazy entitled ones. I love them as friends, but I pity the man who has to pay for their upkeep.
This is a bunch of really good advice. Paying serious money for engagement rings is dumb as heck, and while hey it's your money so whatever, your future wife should not be insisting you spend a large amount of money on something you think isn't worthwhile, especially with your finances so straitened.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

alwayslost posted:

It's bullshit, but it's so widespread that a lot of girls feel that way, not just the money grubbing ones.

You can afford what you can afford. If she wants more, she either has to pitch in or wait until later in life for an upgrade.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

oxsnard posted:

Not sure why everyone is fixated on rent. $1100 isn't that much for any decent sized city. Where do you live OP?

I believe he said Colorado springs. Not sure the rent situation there but in Denver 1100 for two people anywhere near downtown would be middle of the road at best. I don't think his rent is the issue.

Personally he needs to make more money. It is going to be the only way to really put a dent in loans odd that size.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
OP all your federal student loans should qualify for Pay As You Earn where the monthly payments are capped at 10% of your discretionary income, and after 20 years of payments the debt is forgiven:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/understand/plans/pay-as-you-earn

If the loans are older there's a similar program called IBR where the monthly payments are capped at 15% of your discretionary income, and after 25 years of payments the debt is forgiven:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/understand/plans/income-based

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

spwrozek posted:

I believe he said Colorado springs. Not sure the rent situation there but in Denver 1100 for two people anywhere near downtown would be middle of the road at best. I don't think his rent is the issue.

Personally he needs to make more money. It is going to be the only way to really put a dent in loans odd that size.

I dont know anything about colorado springs areas, but looking at craigslist it is a cheap place to live. Lots of 1bedrooms from $400-$600.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/apa/

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

jeffsleepy posted:

It's bullshit, but it's so widespread that a lot of girls feel that way, not just the money grubbing ones.

This is unfortunately true. I spent way too much on may fiance's engagement ring but I did it for three reasons:

1) I wanted to.
2) I could afford it.
3) She deserves it, didn't expect a ring half the size, and she'll wear it for the rest of her life.

I married up--her family has money and mine are a bunch of plebs--so I saw it as my "buy-in" letting people know I was serious and that I could provide, even though no one cares (but me) and it's not like that at all.

But I'll tell you what, every time I see that ring on her finger I feel so loving proud that I put it there. That being said, I didn't have $100k+ in student loans so you have to weigh your priorities there.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

alwayslost posted:

Monthly Income
Gross income: $5400
401k: $324 (6% of gross pay)
HSA: $83.34
Net income after tax and deductions: $3600
Girlfriend’s contribution: $550
Total net deposits per month: $4150

Monthly Expenses
Rent: $1100
Utilities: $200
Groceries and Hygiene (Walmart): $450
Cell Phone: $100
Car insurance: $75
Internet: $35
DirecTV: $75
Gym: $25
Discover Student Loan (14000, 3.25%): $50
Citibank Student Loan (4030, 3.5%): $20
ACS Student Loan (2450, 5.0%): $50
Wells Fargo Sudent Loan (4000, 2.5%): $75
Federal Student Loans (68600, 5.4%-6.8%): $250
Parent Student Loan (12600, 0%): $200
Additional toward Student Loan Principal: $250
Emergency Savings ($8000 saved so far): $500
Engagement Ring Savings: $250
Miscellaneous: $400
Total: $4105

You are living an exceedingly lavish lifestyle for somebody who is buried under permanent and unsecured debt. The good news is that you can quickly dispatch with this debt and get on with your life, but doing so will require sacrifices on your part. You have a very solid income and you should be able to knock these out in four years, max.

• Reduce 401k contributions to your employee match. If they don't match; don't contribute, you can get better returns by eliminating debt.
  • You're healthy, only contribute enough to your HSA to cover known expenses, like glasses.
  • Throw your $8k in savings at your $68.6k loan. Get a CC for emergencies.
  • Stop contributing to your emergency savings ($500/mo)
  • Get a pre-paid cell phone (+$80/mo)
  • Ditch DirectTV, get Netflix. (+65/mo)
  • You spend way more than necessary on groceries and food. Learn to stretch meats by eating more salads, fruit, and cheese. Find a discount store and buy generics. (+$75/mo)
  • Your miscellaneous section is a joke.
  • You need line items for all of your car related expenses. Cars are expensive as gently caress, but you don't realize how big of a money sink they are until you really examine their costs. Move closer to work when your lease is up.
  • How often are you eating out?
  • Nix the engagement ring savings, what you have currently saved is way more than enough. ($250/mo)

Total Savings of unnecessary items: $970
Potential Savings from "Misc": $200
HSA Excess savings: $40

That's $1210 MORE per month that you can be putting towards your debts. With your existing $895/mo, you'll can apply $2105 or $25,260 per YEAR towards those debts. Knocking them out in right about four years.

HOLY poo poo, YOU COULD BE DEBT FREE IN ONLY FOUR YEARS!

Once you're debt free, you can start focusing on saving for retirement. You'll be so flush with excess income by then that you'll have an easy time building up an extremely solid nest egg. Assuming you can stick to this plan, and you don't get any raises (unlikely), in 10 years, you'll be debt free with almost $200k banked towards retirement; 23 years with a 7% annual return puts you over the million dollar mark.

I was in your same situation. I graduated at 28 with an engineering degree and a good amount of debt. But I made all of the cuts mentioned in this post and it really did improve my life dramatically.

Edit:

These numbers assume no contributions from your girlfriend or future wife. Mainly because you need to get on the same page financially before you two should consider getting married.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 28, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Buy a used engagement ring. I paid a buddy of mine about 60% of the retail value on a ring from his failed engagement. It was just taking up space in his sock drawer. My wife knows the history, and doesn't care one bit. She has a beautiful ring, I paid a reasonable amount for it, and my friend was able to pay off the remaining loan on his failed engagement. He recently married a wonderful girl who makes serious bank. Everyone wins!

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 28, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

To be debt free in 4 years he would need to pay $2395/mo (assuming average interest rate of 4.5%). Which gives him $1200/mo to live on currently. He would need drastic lifestyle changes to make that happen.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

oRenj9 posted:

[*] Reduce 401k contributions to your employee match. If they don't match; don't contribute, you can get better returns by eliminating debt.

Can you explain this part out? Isn't it safe to assume at least 7% on returns at a young age in regards to an aggressive 401k plan?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You also have to consider the large difference in risk. Eliminating debt is guaranteed, getting 7% returns on your 401k is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

slap me silly posted:

You also have to consider the large difference in risk. Eliminating debt is guaranteed, getting 7% returns on your 401k is not.

Got it. So what is the recommended APR on a student loan where you start prioritizing funding your retirement accounts over paying off the debt on a loan? Is there a reasonable number or does it come down to comfort levels at a certain point? I can understand trying to pay off the fed loans immediately, but does he slow down retirement for the 5% APR loan too?

• Locked thread