Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ohhh Nudity tonight! :wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Sadly that coin story isn't as good as it sounds, it's basically being produced by the Russian version of the Franklin Mint

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

J33uk posted:

Sadly that coin story isn't as good as it sounds, it's basically being produced by the Russian version of the Franklin Mint

Ha, it looks like they heard you.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

That Disclaimer. Wait what? Will Russia actually do that in the Winter?

Edit: Green Energy, What ever that means. t:mad:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 12, 2014

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

BigRed0427 posted:

Ohhh Nudity tonight! :wiggle:

It's the bad kind of nudity! ABORT ABORT :gonk:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Kitty

OH GOD IT GOT WORSE

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I think this show found it's groove

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I NEED AN ADULT

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

John was loving on fire tonight and those ads were amazing.

:flaccid:Mitch McConnell

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

Seriously good poo poo. Couldn't stop laughing at Mitch McConnell...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Thanks to John Oliver, now, every time I see Mitch McConnell, I will no longer see Yurtle the Turtle, I will now see an elderly man's age-shrunken penis. And sadly, I can't think of a more appropriate visual metaphor for the man. :stonk:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Jesus poo poo....:gonk: Well Mitch has a new icon at least.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...The best/worse realisation from this is that now we know how aware John is that he no longer has to give a drat about this little thing called 'censors'.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
This show is loving awesome and I cannot wait for next week. :getin:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
We should feel sorry for Kentuckyans: They're responsible for Mitch McConnell ever being in the Senate. I, frankly, don't understand how anyone can live with that moral burden for any length of time. Is it the Oxy that helps?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Apoplexy posted:

We should feel sorry for Kentuckyans: They're responsible for Mitch McConnell ever being in the Senate. I, frankly, don't understand how anyone can live with that moral burden for any length of time. Is it the Oxy that helps?

They're living more in fear of Boyd Crowder nowadays anyways

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Apoplexy posted:

Boyd Crowder for Senate. He maybe an ex-Nazi and drug boss, but at least he is honest!

drat beaten with a Boyd joke.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bobkatt013 posted:

Boyd Crowder for Senate. He maybe an ex-Nazi and drug boss, but at least he is honest!

2slow :c00lbert:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Also, just a very basic point about coal: Mining it is literally one of the worst jobs a human being can still suffer in America. The only reason why women don't work the mines is that prostitution is less dangerous. PART of the cancer rates might have something to do with that all. gently caress coal.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Well, that is certainly a way to leverage the freedom HBO provides. I also like how it has elements of putting the candidate into a good light right before going super dark in the negative direction.

Given three episodes, it seems like they've settled on a strong international balance with both US and abroad represented, which I think is awesome. John's performance still comes through well and the lack of commercial structure also keeps me on my toes toward the pace of the show. I'm kind of glad he didn't land the Colbert slot just to see where they can take this.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Been watching since the first episode, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm very excited to see what kind of shenanigans they can get up to without any censors! :krad:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Thanks to John Oliver, now, every time I see Mitch McConnell, I will no longer see Yurtle the Turtle, I will now see an elderly man's age-shrunken penis. And sadly, I can't think of a more appropriate visual metaphor for the man. :stonk:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sorry, it just isn't enough to get rid of Old Man Penis.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I enjoyed the global warming poll comparison. Do owls exist? [ ] Yes [ ] No

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno. I'm owlgnostic.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I like the pre-recorded video skits on this show. I think that's one place where the weekly format really shines.

I was kind of sad that John missed out on Colbert's slot at first, but now I'm glad he took this opportunity.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

I was kind of sad that John missed out on Colbert's slot at first, but now I'm glad he took this opportunity.

I know what you mean. While Oliver's show is just different enough, back to back with The Daily Show would be too similar. At least from what we've seen so far. But after those political ads, I can't wait to see what else they pull if this is only week 3. Give the show another month or two and I think it will really find it's voice / niche.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Popelmon posted:

HBO have really cornered the stuff-nobody-else-talks-about market with Last Week Tonight and Vice.

Is the Vice show good?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Grand Fromage posted:

zoux posted:

Dunno. I'm owlgnostic.

Hahah, fantastic.

Well that episode was amazing. The whole attack ad bit was the best thing he's done so far and it was utterly horrifying.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vincent posted:

Is the Vice show good?

The stuff they cover is interesting but you have to take the reporting with a grain of salt.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
I haven't laughed that hard during a tv show in quite sometime.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Grand Fromage posted:

Are there hats? [ ] Yes [ ] No

Also, Vice is great if you just enjoy seeing how hosed up the world is. As long as you don't use it as fuel for your political leanings, it's a solidly interesting docu/news/whatever show.

I also really enjoy their less controversial cultural type of segments, like the one where the tiny white dude reporter went to Senegal or somewhere (can't remember exactly) where this outdoor greco-roman wrestling type sport is bigger than anything, even football. Then he wrestled a dude 10x bigger than him and "won".

Damo fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 13, 2014

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Damo posted:

Are there hats? [ ] Yes [ ] No

Also, Vice is great if you just enjoy seeing how hosed up the world is. As long as you don't use it as fuel for your political leanings, it's a solidly interesting docu/news/whatever show.

I also really enjoy their less controversial cultural type of segments, like the one where the tiny white dude reporter went to Senegal or somewhere (can't remember exactly) where this outdoor greco-roman wrestling type sport is bigger than anything, even football. Then he wrestled a dude 10x bigger than him and "won".

The Vice Travel Guide to Liberia was legitimately terrifying. Every single interview segment ends with them running away faster than Usain Bolt due to the encraching mobs of angry people.

I'm also enjoying their current series on the school in Chicago for kids with behavioral issues (Last Chance High). It's about 75% :wtf: to 25% :shobon:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Yeah the show's found its groove. The attack ads and ending skit were great, never really seen anything like them on TV before.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

In only 3 shows LWT has become mandatory viewing for me, I might be alone but I can't stand watching TDS/Colbert anymore between the never ending Fox segments and Colbert's act becoming stale, Oliver actually seems to care about what he's talking about instead of just fake outraging his way through every piece.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

On the right, a convicted pedophile in a fantastic film. On the left, someone whose crimes in reality outnumber the person on the right. In both number and victim count. (It's funny because it's true.)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Vincent posted:

Is the Vice show good?

The show's good, and the online component is so insane in how wide its coverage goes that you absolutely need to watch some of it. Ukraine coverage (actually the best on-the-ground coverage of the situation I've seen, period) and Colombians who believe that penetrating donkeys makes their penis larger? Same site.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Apoplexy posted:

The show's good, and the online component is so insane in how wide its coverage goes that you absolutely need to watch some of it. Ukraine coverage (actually the best on-the-ground coverage of the situation I've seen, period) and Colombians who believe that penetrating donkeys makes their penis larger? Same site.

They also have a neat (video)podcast and the first season of the HBO show is on their channel too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn8zNIfYAQNdrFRrr8oibKw

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 13, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Midnight City posted:

In only 3 shows LWT has become mandatory viewing for me, I might be alone but I can't stand watching TDS/Colbert anymore between the never ending Fox segments and Colbert's act becoming stale, Oliver actually seems to care about what he's talking about instead of just fake outraging his way through every piece.

LWT seems more willing to take a position than the other two, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vincent posted:

Is the Vice show good?

If you can get over how hipster a lot of the correspondents are yeah it's a great show and the (video) stuff on their website is generally even better. It's very poorly curated though so it helps to check often.

• Locked thread