Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I am pretty confused though - why are people angry about this? I mean I read the Heir to the Empire trilogy (and a few other SW books that were terrible) when I was like 13 and didn't really think about whether it was "official" or not, it was a cool story with some characters I knew and liked.

Like, there are a bunch of different King Arthur stories, that can't all be made consistent with one another, but who cares? Thomas Malory is good and so are Alfred Lord Tennyson and T.H. White.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Effectronica posted:

Critics gave bad reviews in the 70s/80s cause they didn't know what the gently caress at first

Star Wars did end up getting nominated for Best Picture, though, which in retrospect it should definitely have won.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Bolian Blues posted:

All old material is now part of the Legends™ brand, so they can continue to keep selling all the old poo poo like TOR but say it doesn't count

Is that like the WWE Legends brand? Because Hulk Hogan is still canon in that universe.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

cuckold cleanup posted:

how will the star wars canon affect me

only if you let it

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I believe the high quality of the original trilogy can be explained in four words:

"Alec Guinness Harrison Ford"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

CommonTerry posted:

Rogue Squadron was good. KOTOR was never good.

So am I an acceptable person for not having played any Star Wars games beyond Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight?

In my defense I played the HELL out of that game.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Now we just need to wait for Paramount to announce that everything but the Abrams movies are 'Legends' or whatever and then the lynchings can finally start

No they already took care of that in the first movie by saying "this is an alternate universe, some things will be similar, other things will be different, but since it's an alternate universe it doesn't undo the previous stories" or whatever.

Of course, in Trek they jump between universes and timelines all the time, so who knows...

Alexzandvar posted:

the joke is star trek 2009 was a better star wars movie than the prequals ever were

Likewise Galaxy Quest is the best Trek movie.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

etalian posted:

remember all the cheesy FMV from jedi knight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmD-HlPAVTw

Don't tell me this isn't canon anymore!! :qq:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

I don't care if it's canon, all I know is that I freaked the gently caress out when we started flying around the asteroids when I went on that ride at age 7.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
What he actually said was "Darth Thicky" and "Darth Thinsanius," i.e. he wanted a fat/thin comedy duo of Sith Lords.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

No way this is canon

Terry Crews played FOOTball, not BASKETball

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Samuel Leroy Jackson's lightsaber in the films had "Bad Motherfucker" inscribed on it. This obviously means that Pulp Fiction is canon in the Star Wars universe.

actual ridiculous movie trivia: Pulp Fiction and Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion are set in the same universe

edit:

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 27, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Frackie Robinson posted:

Is this still canon?

Also, from way in the thread, Ebert gave Star Wars a stellar review upon release, leave him alone. He and Siskel even went to bat for it against some old dusty rear end in a top hat on Nightline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky9-eIlHzAE

(I don't suggest you take the time to actually watch this)

Well, I should have read your warning first. No surprise that guy was a critic for the National Review, the magazine for people who are well-educated and believe both that they have good taste and that blacks and whites should have remained segregated.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Fucker posted:

[15:23] <@Lord_Emperor> I wonder if you could sue LFL. If there is some legitimate case. Not saying I will, but it will be interesting to know.
[15:24] <@Culator|Away> Yes. You've invalidated several hundred dollars worth of books owned by several million fans, I'd call that a class action.
[15:24] <@Lord_Emperor> I want my money back
[15:25] <@Lord_Emperor> They invalidated nearly 50% of the fanbse man. I'm sure someone will act and cause a domino effect.

What the hell does this even mean? Like, how are the books invalidated? In what sense is @Culator using the word "invalidated" in this conversation?

Parallax Scroll posted:

Isn't this decision more out of practicality than anything else? They're starting to make new movies after Return of the Jedi, and it would be stupid to try and make them compatible with all that EU stuff. Much easier to just push all that aside and just make the new movies consistent with the old movies.

Also, this.

This is why no one wanted to touch Star Trek, because the Star Trek canon (i.e. all the TV shows and movies) represent like 900 hours of material and the fans all care VERY MUCH about what is "real" and what isn't.

Star Wars was always supposed to be a single story with a beginning, middle, and end - it represents a a unified action (μία πράξις per Aristotle) and it represents the entirety of it. Star Wars is like the Iliad: the story starts after the war has been going on for some time already, and it concludes with much more of the war still to fight, but the characters have grown and developed and the plot has undergone many twists and turns.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

nomadologique posted:

you think homer's story was the only one set during the trojan war? greeks milked the absolute loving poo poo out of those characters and events. seriously it's no different from EU. playwright wracking his brains for a new play... oo oo god everything's been done, what should i do?... minor made-up character who met theseus one time along the road to athens! this is actually what they did after hundreds of years of the same poo poo.

Yeah, and notice how nobody reads those other Trojan War epics anymore? When was the last time a HS English teacher assigned the Aethiopis or the Cypria? poo poo, those stories haven't even survived to be assigned, and I would bet serious drachmas that they were not all that good (much like Episodes I-III).

As far as tragedies out of the Epic tradition, like the Ajax or Iphigenia at Aulis - each of those is a self-contained story, not a sprawling mess of fanservice. Moreover, the Greeks didn't give a gently caress about "canon" (unless you mean ὁ κανών, the guidelines for bodily proportions used by sculptors like Polyclitus, according to Pliny anyway) - take, as an example, how Aeschylus' Libation Bearers, Sophocles' Electra and Euripides' Electra are clearly in conflict with each other regarding the details of Orestes' return to Argos and the slaying of Clytemnestra, yet it's not the case that one was considered part of the "official" continuity and the others "non-canon."

edit:

I guess I'm trying to make 2 points: 1, that Star Wars is at its core a single story, the Luke/Vader/Han/Leia arc, and that all of the levels of detail inserted into the story through the EU (as well as the prequels, but that's a matter more of poor execution than bad ideas, since the Anakin > Vader > Anakin arc has some really compelling elements) are unnecessary, extraneous, and in some ways detrimental to the appreciation of what makes the original films good; 2, that if people can make money writing EU stories and making EU video games, and if other people are entertained reading EU stories and playing EU games, why should it matter if they aren't "official" in the first place if they're profitable and enjoyable?

It's not when it came out that Lance Armstrong had been doping the whole time; no one ever thought Star Wars was real (right?).

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 27, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

rocket_man38 posted:

Citizen Kane of gaming.

I think Darth Plageuis or whatever is canon, according to Lucas.

He's mentioned in Episode 3, so I would imagine so.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Chucat posted:

"gently caress it we're not going to save the original sack of troy because we've got virgil's remake" - some noob in the library of alexandria

I think it probably had more to do with the Peisistratid influence over the consolidation of oral poetry in the context of the Panathenaic Festival in the late 5th century, though I am biased in my assessment because at this point I've had two Homer teachers whose advisor was Greg Nagy.

edit: Xenophon rules, without him we wouldn't have The Warriors.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Darth Decent Exposure

Darth Cestuous (Luke's Dark Side title if he had turned at the end of ESB)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Darth Continence

Darth Defatigable

Darth Defensible Racist Viewpoint

Darth Divisible, with liberty and justice for all

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Cat Mattress posted:

Darth Ininsanious
Darth Inicky

Darth Inmaul

Don't think it works that well overall, but I like the sound of "Darth Inicky".

As for Vader, I always thought it was "Dark Father" vaguely disguised ("Vader" is even a Dutch word meaning father, also there's the German "Vater"). Just watch the first two movies of the original trilogy while pretending that he's named "Dad Father", it makes the reveal to Luke that much funnier.

A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away nobody spoke Dutch.

They maybe spoke, like, proto-West Germanic, but probably not.

Then again "Yoda" is clearly derived from the Dutch "jood" meaning "jew," because Yoda's inverted syntax reflects the way some Yiddish-speakers (or their offspring) use English in informal contexts. Dr. Zoidberg is another example of that ("To induce vomiting, that was the solution! Everywhere it went.")

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

blowfish posted:

It's the The Wrath of Khan of Star Wars :riker:

Naturally, there are two Wookiepedia articles on that.

Also, this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Conan_Antonio_Motti#Naming_origins

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

...of SCIENCE! posted:

i wonder how many years it will be before star wars threads aren't full of people parroting talking points from the redlettermedia reviews while acting like they made it up themselves

I can't even tell what's my original thoughts about the movies and what comes from RLM.

I guess my opinions are canon now?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Tsinava posted:

I grew up in the Star Wars EU. I spent 20+ years immersed in it, knowing the how and why to everything that made up Star Wars. It was mine. SW knowledge was my (admittedly lame) super power. And now it's gone. I don't know anything more than anybody else who has seen the movies and it feels like... I don't know. Feels like I imagine a Jedi Master would feel if his connection to the Force just disappeared one day.

It makes me regret the absurd amount of time I spent living in a universe that wasn't my own. I used it as an escape and I shouldn't have. Up until today, I still did. And I shouldn't. I'm 27 years old and I know more about the history of Coruscant than the history of Earth. Or I did, anyway. It's time.

I will see the new movies, passively. When I have time. Maybe I will like them. Maybe my kids will. I always imagined I would be heartbroken if my kids didn't like Star Wars, but right now, in this moment... It just doesn't seem important in the least.

This used to be my universe.

Now it's Disney's "legend".

I can't help but think of all the useful things I could have been reading, could have been passionate about as a child, teen, and adult.

Is it time wasted? Is there a lesson to learn in all of this?

It doesn't matter. I think I'm done here. Those of you hanging on for the next chapter, enjoy the ride. I'm sure it will be great.

The Force will be with you... Always*.

*unless Disney decides it isn't

Where did you pull this from?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I don't know, I just hope that at the end Adam Driver's character wakes up in bed next to Lena Dunham and he's been dreaming the whole time, because that's the only thing that would make Star Wars EU slaves angrier than they already are.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I don't care if he hates Star Wars, he's pretty much the number 1 reason I love Star Wars.

If I were in his shoes I'd probably hate Star Wars too, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Eh, Palpatine's wrinkliness was contagious through the lightning bolts or whatever.

• Locked thread