Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Alena

"Well, we really should hear my father out. I owe him that much. Besides, I never hear the end of it if he came up here and couldn't find me." She holds up a scrap of cloth next to Pepper, trying to judge the scale one last time before she makes the final cut.

"So, here's my plan. We hear my father out, see what his punishment is, maybe see if he will tell us more than Mother did. After that I'll shirk the punishment any way I can and we can see what the big fuss is with the Metzgers. Sound good?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Sully

Sully stops, just staring his father in the eyes. "Pa, I beat a treeman into submission cause he didn't care 'bout family, nearly got torn to shreds by enough livin' vines to cover the entire village twice over, an' then had a goddamn ruin try an' collapse on us as a final 'gently caress y'all' AND NOT ONE PERSON WHO LEFT DIED. And we come home an' everything's dead quiet an' actin' like somebody died! So stop bullshittin' me an' tell me what's goin' on!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
William

His father probably thought it was right to hide things from William, he was his father after all. But so much had changed since he had left the previous morning. The town was out of sorts, his parents were out of sorts, and the furtive warning to stay away from the library even though William had just proven himself more than capable of handling difficulties and surviving. No, something was up and his father was trying to hide it.
And unfortunately for his father, William thought of the town's registers as light reading.
History: 1d20+12 24 Other than the ritual, did anything of relevance and import happen 18 years ago?
Arcana: 1d20+14 29 What rituals would the baby mandragora be necessary for?

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 25, 2014

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
William: You seem to know a lot about your least favorite person in the village... Sariya was born roughly around that time. Her mother(Marco's Wife) was lost in childbirth. Marco himself never tolerates any discussion of his family.

The Mandragora has two important ritual uses. The first would be that it is a very potent magical creature saturated in the type of wild magic associated with the fey. The second is that in the use of dark ritual a death caused by it's scream would probably have a potent symbolic edge.

Sully: Your Pa just hears you out and takes another swig, nodding. "Treant, eh. Good boy." He insists on you taking the jug back, pressing it into your hands relentlessly. "Sully, lad. You may not believe this, but I wasn't really born here. I came here from far away... and well." He sighs. "Thar are things out thar, Sully. Things stronger than even your old man. A lot of terrible things. Men band together and fight 'em everyday, even now, I wager. I wanted ta settle down... find a wife..." Accepted or not he snatches the jug back and takes a deep swig of it.

"Being a man in Nellen means you take care of your family, Sully. Find yerself a cute girl and have as many kids as you can. This place, it's safe. And it's safe cause a' what Marco does... and his family has tried really hard, ya, ta do it themselves for a long time now. But if there's... ah... a gap..." He swigs! "If there's a gap, he has ta ask the village for help."

He sets the nearly empty jug down. "Yer old enough to understand. I don't like it one wit but if it ain't done, what's next, boy-o? Everybody dies when the wards drop?" He gets up to head back into the house and pats you on the head, then gives you a soft knuckle-press on the cheek. "A real cute girl now, Sully. She's got ta off-set the looks of us Schmidt men, ha ha." And he heads back inside.

Alena: Knock! Knock! Knock! Such a prim and proper introduction, it could only be one person...! The door slowly opens and Baron d'Montaigne steps in, the great patriarch of the d'Montaigne family! Tall, rail thin, clad in the most garish crimsons the family can weave, his immaculately groomed giant red mustache waggles as he beams in the most brilliant fashion. "Alena! You're safe!" He crosses the room in a single giant step and embraces you in one huge arm, tut-tutting as he relishes the safe return of his daughter. "Oh my, yes. Now see here, very important we punish you sometime tomorrow. Think of your favorite chore, you'll be doing that for a month. Fair is fair, you know." He winks, then looks over and his equally bushy eyebrows waggle! "My my, did you make a friend?"

Pepper sticks her tongue out. "Don't get handsy with me, Grandpa."

The Baron howls with laughter and slaps a knee! "Well done! A servant should have cheek to spare!" He gives Pepper an up and down look and waggles his eyebrows again. "Yes, quite cheeky indeed." Feeling that even her personality is being out-matched Pepper turns red and begins trying to put her new outfit on. The Baron laughs again. "There there dearie, I believe my wife still wields the frying pan in this family. I shall endeavor to behave myself. Now, pumpkin! Do tell me about what glories you've brought back in the name of d'Montaigne!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

William
Okay now he knows something's up. And it unfortunately involves Sariya. It just figures that even without her conscious intervention she makes things more difficult. And as much as he would like to say he wishes death upon her... he doesn't.

William gets up from the table with a sigh, shoving the chair back into his vacant place.

"I'm sorry dad, but I'm going to the Library."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Of course I survived, Father. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I died out there." Alena gladly returns her father's hug, nestling her head in the crook of his neck. Some times it's good to be home.

"So it's glories you want, hmm? Personally, I'd put Pepper here at the top of that list. Father, meet Pepper. I met her in a rather interesting set of ruins yesterday and she has been with me ever since. Pepper, meet Baron d'Montaigne, Lord of Nellen and ruler of all lands this side of the river. I trust you are suitably impressed."

"Of course, I found more than a faerie on the trip. Where should I begin?" And so Alena tells her father of yesterday's trials. He tells him of vicious vines and villainous spiders. Of old shields and new scars. Of fleeing from the ancient laboratory as dawn broke. She told him of Sullivan's strength, of William's preternatural skill, of Lerissa's properly applied viciousness. Not that Victe's dogged determination or Sariya's spellcraft went unmentioned, of course. She couldn't skim over Victe carrying a young dryad back to town either, even though she does want to. Still, all in all Alena told quite the daring tale.

"So, Father." Her face falls in anticipation of the conversation to come. "I answered your question. Would you answer one of mine?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Alena: The Baron seems quite pleased with your story and smiles jovially. "But of course, pumpkin. Ask away!"

William: Your old man raises his eyebrows in a bit of muted surprise but otherwise nods. "Remember what I said about Marco's place, Will."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Mother told me to not visit Lerissa's house. She didn't forbid me from leaving, she specifically mentioned the Metzgers. I want to know why."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

William

William smiles and chuckles darkly.

"I'll remember father, you should know that."

And Then he's out the door, heading towards the library and the cache of all his adventuring gear, as well as the two notebooks from the ruins. Of course he notices Victe first, and greets her with a wave.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Alena: With a stunned look The Baron immediately performs a 180 and begins to walk out of your room. "Er. Yes. Quite right. Well, I must be going, I think I hear your mother calling! Ha ha, bit of a chill in the old night air, isn't there?! Don't be late for supper later, m'dear!"

Pepper whispers in your ear! "He's on the ropes! Get him! CHARGE!"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"Father." Alena places one hand on her father's shoulder. "I will find out what's going on, you understand. I'd just rather hear it from you."

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Sully

Staring too long at the departed figure of his father Sully picks up the jug. Sully sits there for more than a few minutes, just staring at the jug. Suddenly with a grunt of frustration Sully crushes the jug. Stomping into and through the house Sully ignores everyone within, grabbing his pack from where he dropped it and barging back through the front door. Surprising his younger brothers one pipes in with "Where ya goin'?"

"I'm taking a walk."

Confused the other gets out "But ya jus'"

"I SAID I'M TAKING A WALK!" With that Sully slams the door shut and marches off toward town

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sully: Zounds, it seems William and Victe are already up to no goodconspicuously chatting in front of Marco's house.

Alena: With a gulp, The Baron stops his goose-stepping retreat and performs an about face. He sighs, his face knotted up in confusion and conflict. "Alena... well. All I can tell you is that this isn't the first time the Draene clan have renewed their protection over the village... and, well, the Metzgers were asked to help this time. Now that is all I can say, truly!" And with that he launches a full retreat!

Pepper: "Ehhh? Are we really supposed to buy that?" Finally clothed, Pepper wears a little red one-piece tunic. She flicks the skirt and seems pleased.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sariya

Sariya's... Ice... Sense? Strikes! She takes a look outside of her window and notices William, Victe and Sully. "HEY ASSHOLES! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

William

William waved at Sully as he stormed out of his house, he was very conspicuously making his way to a tree stump behind the library, pulling out a few smallish books.

"Hey... hey guys.. I... Something's going on, something bad. and I need to figure out what. Cause... They made us a part of this and didn't tell us everything. It's... It's bad."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"No, Pepper. We're supposed to just sit here and be content with what he has deigned to tell us." Alena snarls and plops herself back down in her chair. Mother always said she'd crack her head open if she leaned back this far, but you know? She doesn't care about what her mother has to say at the moment.

"Still, it must be something big if he's acting like that. Bigger than a missing sheep. Bigger than old man Levitt breaking his arm. Bigger than anything I've seen around here. What is so worrying about one ritual?" The room falls silent as Alena mulls over that very question...

"You know what? Sariya's bound to know about this ritual than we do. Let's go ask her." Suddenly she's back on her feet, jacket slung over one shoulder as she walks out the door. She's got a mission now, and she's not going to let anyone get in her way. If they do... Well, she'll figure out what to do when it comes to that.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Alena: Surprisingly nobody interrupts your trip out of the house. And heading over to Sariya's Place you can see William, Victe and Sully being yelled at by Sariya from her 2nd floor window.

Everybody but Lerissa: A quick meeting and info swap clues you all in to the gist of what everybody else has observed. (Catching everybody up with room to withhold some info, if you'd like.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

William

William glares at Sariya.

"Sariya, get down here now and talk like a normal person, this concerns your mother and brother. And we really shouldn't be talking about this on the street. Come on, no one uses the library.. I know."

With that he conspiratorially opens up the doorway into the library, and starts arranging books so he can cross reference his facts.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sariya

W-what? What does the pipsqueak knows about them? Marco never spoke about the rest of her family before... She quickly hurries out of her bedroom, although not quick enough to make any sudden sounds. Once she gets in the library, however, she gets but a few inches away from William, staring him intently. "You. Talk what you know. NOW."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

William

William holds Sariya's glare and points towards the opposite chair. Doing his best not to relish this opportunity.

"Sit down, or I'm not telling you anything."

He spins the book around towards her and points at the offending passages.

"This is what we know so far, that there is a ritual that they need to complete to maintain the shield that protects this village, that the mandragora is important to this ritual, that a lot of our parents are talking about sacrificing someone tonight, that a death via mandragora would have an extremely powerful ritual significance particularly with regards to the fey, that the last ritual was eighteen years ago."

His glare towards Sariya turns steely.

"And that the only other events that occurred in this village eighteen years ago that were worthy of any note in the ledger was your birth, and your mother and brother's disappearance. Now your father's holed up in whatever magical cellar he's got and using what we got him to do it all over again."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"That's not all. Father told me that it's the Metzgers' turn to help with the ritual." Alena follows the others into the library, trying to hide her worries about all this beneath a veneer of self-confidence. She almost succeeds.

"William, if what you're saying is true... If what you're implying is true, we need to talk to Lerissa. Now."

Here's hoping Classtoise posts soon. Otherwise this investigation has the potential to get awkward.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sariya

Sariya doesn't sit, just staring at William, waiting for him to finish his story... And frowning as much as she can when he does. "What the hell are you saying? That dad killed mom for a ritual? Do you have any evidence other than this stupid book?" She scowls while slapping the book out of William's hands. "If you try to pull that kind of prank on me again I'm going to freeze your crotch, dweeb!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

William
William's mouth twitches as she goes on her tirade, and then he finally snaps.

"Is it so difficult for once in your lonely miserable life to see around your absolutely planetary ego to the lives of those around you? Do you think I made these facts up? No, unlike you I see books as a source of learning and not just a status symbol or art materials. Yes I saw your doodles in the town ledger. They were loving terrible, and I'm reasonably certain that it is anatomically impossible for Sully's penis to be that large. All you seem to care about is your own status and what your father thinks of you. All you care about is that he pays attention to you whether it's good or bad. Well you know what? Let me tell you something about your dear old dad. He is a murderer. He has murdered, or else the barrier would not be here, and he will murder again. All of our parents know it, hell Sully's dad flat out loving admitted it."

He punctuated those last few sentances with punches to the table, causing papers to fly everywhere and a few books to collapse off the library's sole table in a heap. By the time he's finished he's seething and out of breath, what follows is softer, but he holds Sariya's icy cold glare regardless.

"I don't know for sure if he killed your mother or not but unless he captured someone from outside the village then I don't have any other answers to give you. Now then, are you going to grow up and be an adult, or are you going to run back to your father and cry at his feet in hopes that maybe perhaps someday he'll acknowledge you as something other than a convenient tool."

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Victe

Victe interrupts "I'd like a word, if you're finished swinging your privates at eachother?" She has a serious look on her face. "If this is true, and Marco has been granting the village this immeasurable sacrifice to keep us all safe, I think we should reward him for his selflessness by staying away and letting it happen. If not, if we choose to allow our home to endangered, along with the lives of everyone we love, we deserve our place in the circle of hell reserved for selfish cowards."

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Sully

Talking. Gabbing. Debating. Arguing. There's a lot of words for 'sitting around and not getting poo poo done', but Sully caught something in all that useless nonsense that was actually quite relevant. The mandragora was important for weird magic reasons and was why they were sent out in the first place. Rolling this thought around, Sully thinks aloud "Hell, pitchin' that root into the ocean... Yeah!" With that Sully turns and marches out of the library, walks up to the front door of Marco's house , yelling out "MARCO! WHERE ARE YOU!?" and punctuates his shout by kicking the door in!

Athletics to kick in door: 1d20+12 30

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sully's kick takes the door clean off it's hinges, sending it hurtling inwards until it crashes into the simple railing for the stairs. Marco does not reply or seem to be on the first floor at all!

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Sully

Sully vaguely remembers seeing Marco come up stairs and heads down there, fully intent on kicking down any obstacle to his goal of getting that drat root back.

Athletics to dynamic entry: 1d20+12 30

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Crashing into the warded doorway as hard as he can Sully is surprised to find himself blown back with just as much force! He lands on the opposite side of the room on his arm HARD for 11 damage. In the aftermath of the impact the runes set on the door in a simple black outline shimmer red for a second before fading back to normal.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Sully

Howling with pain and rage, Sully winds up for another earth-shattering blow to the door before pausing for a moment. Thinking it through, Sully continues winding up and once more throws out an incredible kick, this time aimed at the wall! "HEEEERRRRRREEEEEEES SULLY!"

Pardon my dynamic entry: 1d20+12 31
Also Sully's at 40 hp

ArkInBlack fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 29, 2014

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Crashing through the wooden wall of the home Sully is stunned to discover that the door leading downstairs goes much deeper underground than he thought. He comes out in Sariya's backyard and his foot lands and wedges into a small wooden bucket.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sariya

"You come to my house and insult me and my family?! You little poo poo, I'm going to loving kill you!" Sariya says as she tries to punch William in the face, only to be interrupted by the loud thud caused by Sully's door breaking . "What the gently caress!? YOU COULD HAVE KNOCKED, YOU PIECE OF poo poo!" And then he tries to slam the warded door on Marco's study. That... That is too much. Sariya lifts her wand, completely possessed by anger. "YOU ALL GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY HOUSE!"

Headbutt: 1d20+2 10 1d4 4

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Victe

"Words did not persuade, Ilmater." She whispers into her locket and waits for response.

Religion: 1d20+6 9

As no guideance arrives, she determines her faith must not be strong enough on this matter to warrant his attention, and decides to do something to fix that.

Grab Attack vs Reflex to wrestle Sully to the ground, clearly failing as expected: 1d20+7 11

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

William
William's somewhat taken aback by her wild punch, and responds in kind, but he's got the power of a god on his side, as light and sound crescendo when his fist connects with her jaw.
Singing Punch: 1d20+9 25 1d4+6 8

"Stay here and throw a tantrum if you want, I'm going to go get answers from the only person that has them."

He scoops up his books and dashes out to Marco's house.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Victe: Following Sully into Marco's House you attempt to stop his bull-rushing around only to be cast off by his latest charge. Landing before the warded door you begin to pull yourself up only to hear a familiar voice ring in your hear more clearly than ever before.

<"If you would have answers, give a little blood.">

The runes on the warded door shimmer and frost over with a white aura that solidifies and holds steady.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sariya

"Ow!" Sariya is sent back by William's punch. "Did you just punch a girl, you little poo poo?! Well, I'm going to do worse than that!" She starts blasting icy beams at him as he escape the library, pursuing the bookworm. "STOP RIGHT NOW YOU LITTLE poo poo!"

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Victe

Victe stands up, befuddled as to why Ilmater would offer a way to end the sacrifice she was so sure he condoned. She holds the locket and the necklace up towards her mouth, kneels down, and begins to pray for confirmation on his desires.

Religion: 1d20+6 7

(WELP GUESS I'M ATHEIST NOW!)

Trier fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 29, 2014

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Victe: The act of prayer causes you to wince in pain as you have accidentally given yourself a light cut along your palm by grasping the amulet awkwardly.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alena

"I agree with Victe. If this is what is necessary to protect the village, then it is necessary no matter how unsavory it is. This pointless secrecy, that is the infuriating... Wait, was that? ... Oh, drat it." And so Alena dashes out of the library, her point cut down in the prime of it's life.

---
"Sullivan! I understand that you're mad, but we can't go around kicking down doors!" Alena is more annoyed than mad as she steps through the ruined threshold. After all, she isn't exactly content with this situation either. His reaction is excessive, but it's still reasonable. She'll just have to have a little talk with him. You know, make him see the light.

Of course, Alena saw the light first. Specifically, the sunlight. Streaming in through the loving hole in the wall. She also saw Victe praying in front of a door, but she doesn't really give a gently caress about that when there is a literal homewrecker standing in front of her.

"Sullivan! What are you doing?!" Alena storms through the hole in the wall, not stopping until she can look him right in the eye. (Well, right in the chest, but there's only so much you can do when you're a solid head shorter than the person you're yelling at. Not that she's going to let that stop her.)

"I don't care how mad you are, you don't just punch through a wall! A door, sure! You can't break a support beam by smashing through a door! You could have brought the whole drat roof down on our heads, just because you wanted into Marco's lab! What were you thinking?"

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Sully

Grunting in frustration and tripping over the bucket, Sully barely manages to not fall face first into the ground while yanking the bucket off his foot, which he promptly kicks into next week. Spinning to face Alena Sully spits the words at Alena, "Because it ain't right! Tossin' kin to DIE so they can cower an' hide until they gotta do it again! If it isn't stopped, IT'LL ALWAYS BE LIKE THAT. Would you be sayin' 'this how it is' if one a yer brothers was up to get offed for that drat wall? Well I ain't standin' for ANYONE gettin' offed so the rest can hide in holes until they finally keel over an' I don't care what ANYONE has to say otherwise!"

With his piece said Sully approaches the area where the tunnel down would roughly be and begins puzzling out just how he'll power through to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Victe

"Fine, Ilmater, you'll have your way." she quietly mumbles, pulls her sword out, and cuts her palm with the blade, smiling as her pain receptors start flaring up. She approaches the door, and runs the bloody palm across it. "Time to see what this is all really about."

• Locked thread