Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
You really can't get a more perfect visual representation for those guys. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

How Ingratiating! posted:

Relevant to Team Skull talk:

That skuntank really reminds me of Bill the Cat.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Chapter 6: Team Skull (Part 4)

That night, while the guild sleeps...

We just had dinner, but I could go for some more food.

My belly'll never get filled on grub like that.

All right. The guild members have all gone off to bed... Let's go find it now.

Huh? Find what?

What else? The guild's food stock. We'll find their food and give ourselves a proper feast.

I like that thinking, Chief!

Okay, let's get to it!

The next morning...

The day begins as usual.

Larder? You mean, go get some food?

We inspected the larder this morning. For some mysterious reason, the guild's food stock has dropped sharply all of a sudden.

No one suspects theft, because everyone believes the best in Pokemon who don't have their faces on outlaw posters.

Furthermore, our entire stock of Perfect Apples has disappeared. That was the only item to get completely cleaned out.

Perfect Apples? What are those?

They're very big and very delicious Apples. But more than that, they are the Guildmaster's favorite food! ♪ If there were no Perfect Apples, the Guildmaster would, um... The Guildmaster w-w-would... erk!

Go on. If there were no Perfect Apples, what would happen to Wigglytuff?

The G-Guildmaster would... Yes, that's what would happen.

That's why I'm begging you two to get some Perfect Apples.

Uh, what did he just say?! I didn't hear! It'll drive me crazy, not knowing!

But, oh well.

Sure, we'll go get some. You can count on us!

Good! ♪

Perfect Apples can be found deep in Apple Woods. Now, listen, this may seem like a simple errand, but it's a crucial job. After all, this is all about the Guildmaster's... erk! ...So please don't fail! ♪

OK!

Whoa-ho-ho! Looks like they're going out foraging for food.

That's because we feasted last night. A thankless task thanks to us, chaw-haw-haw!

Heh-heh-heh! Let's mess with them!

The guild members don't suspect a thing. Only we can see the dark shadow hanging over Team America.

I'll tell you when I'm done. It's something you should look forward to. Meh-heh-heh. You'll finally learn what I'm up to here. Meh-heh-heh.

I already know, and the wait is killing me.

We see Loudred and Diglett doing nothing but sentry duty. Maybe getting a really high score on that mini-game will guarantee them a spot.

Meanwhile, Bidoof does investigative work.

Yup yup. I can't help thinking that our larder is going down much faster than it should be...

Detective Doof: guild member of the month.

Chatot is eager to remind us of this. Apparently, failing this job is too scary to imagine.

Yay! Thanks! ♪ Friendly friends! ♪ Bring me lots and lots and lots!

But before that, we have four new entries for secret reading!

Something very mysterious happened at our guild the other day! We were in the guild when (oh my gosh!) the place was stunk up by an atrocious stench! Oh my gosh! I'd never experienced such a foul cloud of fumes. It was an eek-worthy moment!

But... everyone denied responsibility for it! But there's no fooling me! Oh my gosh, I know what I smelled, and there was no mistaking it! Eek, how mysteriously it crept upon us! Who is the culprit?! Eek!

That night, Sunflora couldn't sleep, because someone farted. She swears to god, someone farted.

In the morning briefing, Chatot told us something that's worth a good scream. Eek! There's an expedition coming up! Yippee! Oh my gosh! It's been simply ages since our last one! On our last expedition, we brought home simply massive amounts of treasures! We shared everything with everyone in Treasure Town. It was a happy, happy time!

Oooh, the upcoming expedition should be fun! I wonder where we'll explore this time? My roommate Chimecho and I got all excited guessing about the destination! Of course, I'm going to do everything I can to be picked for the expedition! Oooh, I'm feeling motivated! Yippee!

A giant flower and a wind chime are hyped for this field trip.

Something was sure a surprise the other day! I was checking out the Outlaw Notice Board, when it suddenly stank like rotten sulfur!But then everyone turned and looked at me like I had something to do with it, by golly! I swear! I really had nothing to do with that awful stink, by golly!

I know I've been guilty in the past, like that time in my room once... then twice in the Mess Hall, and once in the Guildmaster's quarters, but... By Golly, I surely am not guilty of anything this time, I swear!

It's hard to shake the title of Fumigator.

The guild's going on an expedition soon! It'll be my first expedition... That's sure got my heart racing, by golly. But will they think about choosing me? Compared to everyone else, I'm slow and klutzy... Even Team America's rookies are getting better and better... But I'm surely not giving up, by golly! I'll do the best I can to get picked for the expedition, yup yup!

Maybe Bidoof is secretly soloing outlaw monster houses in an attempt to outdo us.

There's an expedition coming up, hey, hey!

Who knows what kind of high-level guild work Corphish is doing. Maybe he hustles shop owners for protection fees.

This is the same as Gulpin's shop in PMD Red/Blue, and similar to Scraggy's shop in Gates To Infinity. With the Link Shop, you can link moves to use more than one attack in a single turn (which costs money), or remember any level-up move the Pokemon has learned before (which is free).

For example, you can link Tail Whip and Tackle, so you lower the enemy's defense before you strike. Another combo is Sing and Wake-Up Slap, or Fake Tears and a special attack of some kind. However, using linked moves raises hunger faster, and if either linked move runs out of PP, the moves unlink.

We won't be linking today, though.

I'm more interested in the free move reminder service.

Giving Babar Odor Sleuth is going to come in handy later.

We all should work hard so we get chosen for the expedition!

Meanwhile, on Dugtrio's cliff of contemplation...

Why did you call me out here?

See? The sea is vast.

Um, yes... But why are you telling me this? I'm supposed to be working, Dad.

If I don't go back soon, I'll get an earful from Loudred.

You'll be scolded? Why let such a paltry matter cloud your thoughts? Broaden your perspective... Like the sea before you.

I don't know what that means! I'm going back to the guild. I want to be chosen for the expedition. Dad, you should quit wasting time here and get back to work. See you.

I think someone on this cliff needs a Rawst Berry.

Raising a child is the hardest thing I've ever done... Aha-ha-ha... But I'd like to imagine that my son will one day understand. The way that we have chosen to live...

Note to parents: your kid will never understand, if they think you've lost your mind.

This happens to be a skill in Michael's IQ group. With Acute Sniffer enabled, upon entering a new dungeon floor, a message will pop up numbering the amount of items lying around. It even detects items hidden in the walls.

These limited-time offers involve permanent stat-ups like Calcium and Iron, meaning you can get them just by trading some Oran Berries or something else super-common.

I'm not sure I want to think too hard about what a delighted digestive system feels like.

Maybe it feels like not hitting your friends while confused.

Michael gets that skill Zigzagoon mentioned earlier.

But it's annoying and time-consuming to have that message pop up on every single floor, so I turn it off.

Drinkable vitamins! And while I'm at it...

Let's finally use this.

I considered save-scumming for a +2 or more, but even +1 at this stage is great. We won't be seeing another Ginseng for a while, anyway.

Also, Babar got Cheerleader. Just having this IQ Skill on a Pokemon buffs their teammates, which is great for making Michael even stronger.

Afterwards, I get a pretty good item from recycling. Eyedrop Seeds allow you to see invisible things, which isn't limited to traps.

Not that there are any traps an Eyedrop Seed can help with where Team America is going.

Next time: picking a peck of Perfect Apples.

Myrmeleo
Jan 27, 2010

If only I had Earth Power...
Now that I think about it, since Wigglytuff is now a Fairy-type, I guess he would now have a problem with Team Skull, what with being weak to poison.

But I imagine he'd not be debilitated by that, just outright annoyed.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Myrmeleo posted:

Now that I think about it, since Wigglytuff is now a Fairy-type, I guess he would now have a problem with Team Skull, what with being weak to poison.

But I imagine he'd not be debilitated by that, just outright annoyed.

Hyper Voice is a normal-type move, most notably. Same-Type bonus is a lot more important than hitting weaknesses in PMD games. It's part of the reason that Michael isn't nearly as crippled as he would be in a mainline game.

Also, oh boy, time for the one segment of this game that annoyed me as bad as Rescue Team's entire "correlation implies causation" crap.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wonder what the walls are going to look like in a forest. Rivers, maybe?

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
I'm not sure if How Ingratiating! is going to show this, but if you do other missions before going to Apple Woods, during the meal Wigglytuff won't actually be there. The next day, Chatot will also get pissed at you because you haven't done what you were told to. It's pretty funny.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Glazius posted:

Wonder what the walls are going to look like in a forest. Rivers, maybe?

Just trees and then a green screen.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Chapter 6: Team Skull (Part 5)

Team America has a special mission to do, and they absolutely must not fail.

That's where the Perfect Apples are supposed to be.

Let's keep doing our best, Michael!

Heh-heh. We'll go after them. Come on.

Meanwhile...

...Michael and Babar are busy destroying everything in their path.

Teach Reflect to a compatible Pokemon, and they'll take half-damage for as long as the move is in effect.

But it's not useful to me, so I hang on to it to sell to Kecleon later.

Speak of the devil.

This is Kecleon's Shop. You can find these on random dungeon floors as early as Waterfall Cave.

Buying and selling works with the already-present dungeon mechanics. Drop things you want to sell on an empty shop tile...

...And leave the shop to sell it.

The sold item becomes Kecleon's merchandise. Just make sure you don't sell anything by accident that you can't buy back.

I mean, unless you want to steal it.

With the money earned from the Pecha Scarf, I can buy one of these gummis.

Like the other Mystery Dungeon games, it is possible to steal from the dungeon merchants, but we're going to play fair for now.

Because bad things will happen if you go all Lupin the Third on a Kecleon Shop unprepared.

Bad things also happen if a stray enemy attack happens to hit Kecleon, too. Turns keep going when you're doing shop actions, so nearby enemies will close in on you.

Combees lurk the latter half or so of this dungeon. They suck in PMD Sky, because they have Bug Bite, and they will eat your Reviver Seeds if you let them.

I bought another gummi here. You can also find them on the floor normally for free, but it's nice to get whatever extras I can.

Dive, a TM here, was originally an HM introduced in Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire for the GBA.

It's even less useful in PMD.

In any case, we've reached the end of the dungeon.

Oh! Michael, look there! Hanging on that huge tree... Those must be Perfect Apples.

*: Chaw-haw-haw! Easily done!

Who said that?!

*: Chaw-haw-haw!

What?! You!

Chaw-haw-haw! Team Skull at your service!

How'd these gasbags get ahead of us? They're worse than Gary Oak.

Heh-heh. Hey, it's wimpy and company. What took you so long?

We've been having us a picnic of Perfect Apples while waiting for you to show.

Whaaaat?!

Whoa-ho-ho! You took so long, I stuffed myself! Buuurp!

This can't go unpunished.

But there are still several left on the tree. Let's knock those creeps out and take home some Perfect Apples.

Babar has learned well from all that gummi-guzzling and outlaw-trampling.

Why, I was even going to offer my help for your mission.

Huh?!

You were wondering how you could get the Perfect Apples? Nothing could be easier. Watch.

Oh! Some Perfect Apples!

Go on, now. Scoop up those Perfect Apples and scuttle back to the guild. Chaw-haw-haw.

Whoa-ho-ho.

Heh-heh.

Hm? What's the matter? Aren't you going to pick them up? And after I was so nice and helped you out! Chaw-haw-haw.

You're going to pull another dirty trick, aren't you! You can't fool me again!

Even Babar isn't naive enough to get suckered by these chumps.

Aww. How boring is that.

I was right!

But so what? What are you gonna do about it?

The only thing we can!

Well now. Aren't we feeling peppy today! When we first met, you were shaking like a leaf, too. Chaw-haw-haw.

Even now I'm a little scared...

But I won't lose again! I won't ever back down again!

That's the kind of self-affirming character growth that guarantees a two-bit villain's doom.

So be it. In recognition of your courage, we'll be honored to take you on fair and square. Chaw-haw-haw!

They're going to try something!

It's the moment you've all been waiting for: Team Skull's comeuppance.

Chaw-haw-haw! Let's see if you can withstand this attack. Koffing and I will use our...

Here's how the fight goes. To start with, you

lose.

Waaaah! WAAAAH!

You don't beat up Team Skull. You never get to teach them a lesson. All you get is a stinky white-out.

Michael gets up.

Are you OK, Michael?

She turns to Babar and nods.

I'm glad!

Aaaaah! Waaah! They left without me!

He flees. I guess non-gassy Poison-types can't take the noxious gas combo.

But what an overpowering stench. The stench is still lingering...

Oh! What happened to the Perfect Apples?!

Aw! They're gone!

If they're all gone, there's nothing we can do. Let's go back to the guild.

Team America has failed a mission for the first time, possibly the most important one of their entire apprenticeship. They return to the guild to face their fates.

Whaaaat? You failed?! Are you serious? Oh no! What am I going to do?!

Chatot flies around in panic.

There was nothing we could do. You see, Skuntank and his...

Urk...

You leave me no choice. For the time being, you'll go without dinner tonight!

What?! B-but...

You failed to complete an important job. Your punishment could be much more severe!

Ugh...

I don't want to hear anything from you!

I've got to report this to the Guildmaster now! Upon hearing my report, the Guildmaster is sure to...

He flaps around some more.

You two will come with me when I do so. If I had to face the Guildmaster's wrath all by myself, well, that would hardly be fair. Therefore, you two will come with me! That's an order!

That is so not scapegoating. :rolleyes:

During dinner, we not only have to watch everyone else eat. We have to do it while standing behind Skuntank's grody rear end.

Also, Wigglytuff doesn't show up for dinner. He can't dance in the mess hall without a Perfect Apple on his head, you see.

Afterward...

You brought me some Perfect Apples, didn't you? Thank you!

Uh... There's, uh, a slight... Uh... It's awfully hard to say this, but...

You see, uh, truth be told...

It's OK. I understand. ♪

Don't feel blue, don't feel blue. ♪

The quirky music cuts out.

As I'd explained... Um... They failed to get them, so, uh... In other words, uh... the Perfect Apples... The number of Perfect Apples harvested... would be, uh... zero.

...Oh.

Therefore... not even one Perfect Apple was obtained... That means, Guildmaster... You will have to make do without Perfect Apples for a little bit.

Yep, that's what it means!

Chatot's gone off the deep end.

Hee-heeee! Hee-heeee! ♪ Hee-heeee... Hee...

Um, Guildmaster? Guildmaster?

Sniffle...

Sob...

(Whoa! He's going to cry!)

Waaaah! N-no!

Urrrrffff... Urrrrrrrrrr...

Yow! The whole place is shaking!

Waa... Waaaaaaaaahhh...

W-why?!

Don't argue! Do it now!

Chatot ducks and covers...

...And the rumbling gets even louder...

...As Wigglytuff's bawling reaches ear-destroying levels. This is what Chatot was dreading all along.

We're at ground zero of the Hyper Voice heard 'round the world. :gonk:

Please accept it as our token of friendship.

Yay! Thank you! Friends! Friends!

Thanks to you, we've all been spared a catastrophe!

:tizzy:

Chaw-haw-haw. No, no, it's quite all right. After all, your guild has been very generous and hospitable to us. It's only right that we try to repay that favor in our own way.

To be able to embark on an expedition with someone so noble as you... It will be truly inspiring!

Truly, we look forward to our expedition. It's late now, so we'll be off to bed. Until tomorrow then. Chaw-haw-haw!

After that poo poo-show...

But, Chief... Why'd you bother helping out that chicken? Like giving away that Perfect Apple right then... We should've just watched what'd happen to them after. That would've been hilarious.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

Chaw-haw-haw! You're not thinking strategically, you two. Why'd we come here in the first place? The expedition, right? Right now, the trick is for us to win the trust of Wigglytuff.

I get it now.

But... This being a famous guild and all, I was playing it cautious at first, but it's been ridiculously easy. Wigglytuff's been nothing more than a big baby. He's no big deal. Why everyone's so terrified of Wigglytuff, I don't know. I'm clueless. Anyway, if we find a treasure while on the expedition...

We knock out the guild's crew.

Then we snatch the treasure and skedaddle on out!

Whoa-ho-ho! This plan is a sure thing.

Heh-heh.

Chaw-haw-haw.

It's great that Wigglytuff didn't blow up at us.

Yeah, at least he didn't blow us up.

Urf... But we didn't get to eat dinner after all... I feel horribly hungry... Sorry, I know you're hungry too, Michael. Staying awake like this doesn't make it better. Let's get some sleep.

Next time... another day.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
drat, this is like Pokémon animé level of protagonist owning, not game. Though I haven't really payed attention to the games since they were 250.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I don't think any game has inspired this much hatred of the antagonist in me.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, Team Skull are just awful. In the first game, Gengar managed to redeem himself via strategic protagonist rescue, but I don't recall ever having Team Skull be anything other than complete bastards.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
There is no redemption for Team Skull. Nothing they do in this game even remotely makes up for what transpired in that update ALONE. They TRY in one of the last dungeons in the game, but they're also the cause of part of the problems in that dungeon. Worst part is, this isn't the last time we'll be faked out of a fight with them. We will NEVER get the catharsis of kicking their teeth in.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

The First Post posted:

:siren:Don't spoil stuff the LP hasn't covered yet!:siren: Talking about other PMD games besides Time/Darkness/Sky is okay, though.

Gettin' kinda spoilery in here, so I thought I'd just remind everyone. I know that Team Skull's future endeavors aren't exactly the worst things to spoil, but I'm not gonna be happy if this gets out of hand with much more important events.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Yeah I'll stop harping on them for now. On a less spoilery note, I'm somewhat disappointed you didn't recruit one of those Butterfree. My most recent playthrough of the game (fielding a Squirtle/Munchlax combo) got me a Butterfree during one of my runs to Apple Woods, and I brought it through endgame when the game allowed me to. It gets a good learnset for doing Outlaw jobs and clearing the odd Monster House. Added bonus is that it hovers over water, which is nice when you have a Water starter.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The complaints about Team Skull are totally legit, but Chatot is just as worthy if not more of anger. First he cuts the protagonists off when they try to explain what happened, ends up giving massive praise to the people responsible for everything going wrong (while still refusing to listen to what actually happened), and then outright punishes them.

I swear to god I wanted to rip his beak off so much.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Blaze Dragon posted:

The complaints about Team Skull are totally legit, but Chatot is just as worthy if not more of anger. First he cuts the protagonists off when they try to explain what happened, ends up giving massive praise to the people responsible for everything going wrong (while still refusing to listen to what actually happened), and then outright punishes them.

I swear to god I wanted to rip his beak off so much.

I can honestly understand where Chatot comes from. I mean, I like Wigglytuff, he's one of my favorite characters, but he's still a giant manchild prone to throwing tantrums that can use Hyper Voice. He was panicking and thus took out his anger at who he thought was responsible. After all, he has no idea that those people are the Main Characters.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Chapter 6: Team Skull (Part 6)

Well, here we are. The day after Team Skull got away with ruining Team America's super-important Perfect Apple mission.

Tomorrow or the day after... Or perhaps in several days' time... We plan to announce the members of the expedition party. ♪

(Read the rest here.)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

quote:

There's one other thing. About the expedition... You should give up on being chosen as expedition members.

Ah, and the memories (plus hatred) come flowing back now.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Ahh, Chatot... You loving bastard. I'll be honest, I genuinely got so mad at this part the first time I played.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chatot is an rear end in a top hat, but at least the guildmates are cool and Spinda brings hopes and dreams. The game kicks you in the soul but then helps you get back up and gives you eco-friendly candy for your trouble.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So what, exactly, is the difference between the Swap Shop and the Recycle Shop? It looks like they're both ways to offload useless items for hopefully better ones.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

So what, exactly, is the difference between the Swap Shop and the Recycle Shop? It looks like they're both ways to offload useless items for hopefully better ones.

The Swap Shop trades useful items for even more useful items. I can't get them yet until another shop opens up, however, and that's a ways off. There are other ways to get the items Croagunk swaps for, in a sort of min-maxing way. Also, the Swap Shop only takes a certain type of item.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

How Ingratiating! posted:

Also, the Swap Shop only takes a certain type of item.

In particular, the types of item the Swap Shop works with aren't items you use in the traditional sense; they're sort of like another type of equipment - you keep it in your inventory and it conveys passive effects.

The Swap Shop was really dumb and janky in Time/Darkness, since you'd never have the items you'd need to make swaps. Thankfully in Sky they fixed that amazingly.

quote:

When Bidoof and the others herded my team into their room the first time I played PMD Explorers, I thought something bad was going to happen. I suspected the game was about to pile on more hardship after the Perfect Apple debacle, and Chatot's demotivational bullshit.

This was more or less how things went in the Rescue Team games: just hardship after hardship after bullshit. Thankfully, this is probably the lowest point Explorers gets to as far as "nothing can ever loving go right". Sure, things may get more bleak than this, but there will always be some hope on the horizon.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, our guildies are great and Spinda is just a little bundle of happiness and wonder. Every Mystery Dungeon game needs a juice bar and a recycle shop.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

KataraniSword posted:

The Swap Shop was really dumb and janky in Time/Darkness, since you'd never have the items you'd need to make swaps. Thankfully in Sky they fixed that amazingly.

Thank you for reminding my why it took me until my most recent run of Sky to finally give the Swap Shop a second shot because the last time I did was when Time/Darkness first came out.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Chapter 6: Team Skull (Part 7)

Good luck with that! I hope you get picked for the expedition!

Besides the guild, the whole town is excited about it.

It would be nice to see you two chosen as members too.

(Read the rest here.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I didn't even know outlaws could take stairs and run away. I don't think I ever had an outlaw spawn close to stairs. I guess I'm lucky.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I didn't even know outlaws could take stairs and run away. I don't think I ever had an outlaw spawn close to stairs. I guess I'm lucky.

That's why I take Petrify/Foe-Hold Orbs or Stun Seeds for fleeing outlaws. You NEED to take an orb, though, if the fleeing outlaw can use Teleport. It'll almost always be an Abra, though, so you'll know ahead of time. If I recall, they'll Teleport before you get your first turn, so if you don't use a Foe-Hold Orb, which hits the whole floor, they'll find the stairs before you can catch up.

Of course, if you're standing on the stairs, they can't get away, but that's situational. Too bad you can't place items on the stairs.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

I like that "On your marks... let's eat!" that Chatot does. Makes me imagine that every meal they have is just a race and a lot of exploration teams quit because they almost choked on the food.
"A very rigorous training" indeed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What's there to buy in town, anyway? With all that money from selling the Gold Ribbon and all.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Glazius posted:

What's there to buy in town, anyway? With all that money from selling the Gold Ribbon and all.

Gummis, of course. And Reviver Seeds, and some services we'll be using later. And TMs, eventually. Or we can just dump it all in the bank.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

If you're powerful/confident enough, you can also use a Stairs Orb to teleport yourself directly to the stairs. Then it's a case of waiting for the outlaw to make their way to you, or to let your team sweep the dungeon and pick them off alone.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Chapter 6: Team Skull (Part 8)

I shall announce the expedition members at this time.

Chatot accepted the memo bearing the names of the expedition members from Wigglytuff.

The chosen members are written on this memo. Step forward if your name is called.

(Read the rest of Chapter 6 here.)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

:3:

I really love this part of the game, it has such a different atmosphere to how it was in the first game (for obvious reasons).

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Crosspeice posted:

:3:

I really love this part of the game, it has such a different atmosphere to how it was in the first game (for obvious reasons).

Yeah. You remember how the first game sent you through several sequential dungeons without your recruits, and spend all this time wondering how they'll do it this this time, and then they throw this lighthearted expedition at you. Way different from the Fugitive arc in Rescue Team.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ahahaha, Wigglytuff hates dislikes Chatot too. :kimchi:

Fake edit: Wigglytuff can't hate.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wigglytuff is like Yoda tripping on uppers, goddamn.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Let the three youngest members travel together because they obviously don't need help. :allears: I think Chatot's beginning to realise Michael and Babar are ProtagonistsTM.
Also Wigglytuff is the best manchild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
The expedition is one of my favorite parts of the game, actually. Wigglytuff makes his decisions and it comes as a slight shock that you still get to go. Reminder that the previous game in the series was really good at kicking the protagonists' teeth in, so I was genuinely surprised to see that happen on my first playthrough. I also like the dungeons that make up the whole affair, since they're diverse, have a bit of a jovial tone surrounding them due to plot, and is at a point in the game where the dungeons haven't ramped up the bullshit. You know, as opposed to Rescue Team and its parade of mountains, back-to-back ice levels, and hatred of Grass types, but I digress. :v:

• Locked thread