Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Though it won't work for every game, some tie their saves to the PSPID (Gran Turismo and MHP3rd, from memory).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I love PPSSPP. I tend to play games on it more often than my physical PSP just for convenience factor alone. My old eyes don't do handhelds well anymore. I have been having an issue with Elminage Original though. It emulates fine and all but the Face Load feature just doesn't work. I created a folder called PICTURE in my memstick\PSP folder but it doesn't seem to pick it up. PPSSPP seems to emulate the directory structure pretty well so I'm not sure what to do. No errors, it just doesn't show the pictures. Any ideas? The pictures are valid for the function because they work on my PSP copy just fine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Probably an SCE function that's not emulated yet. I know there's work on getting MP3s and stuff to load from the MS for games that support that. The log window should show them, probably in yellow or red.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I will second the Dissidia Duodecim and ZHP suggestions. Those games are great. I probably screwed up some settings somewhere though.

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 13, 2014

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
PPSSPP is also the only way of getting netplay Monster Hunter right now outside of a WiiU+3DS combo, and not only that but the best Monster Hunter of this generation. There are instructions on how to get multiplayer working in the Monster Hunter thread telling you how, and there's an IRC channel you can ask for help in.

I know FF Type-0 is pretty close to done, was there any news on that Valkyria Chronicles 3 translation effort? Two was great but it'd be nice to play a VC game not set in a highschool.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 13, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Last I heard they were nearly (95% at least) finished with the VC3 translation, and had released the patch.

I really want to get PPSSPP running but Im probably going to wait til I upgrade my phone from galaxy s3 to a note.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, looks like a near-complete translation was released a while back. It seems very poorly documented and explained on the official site, though, and they just abruptly stopped updating in January.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
From what I've played it's basically complete, needs a bit of editing and the DLC is untranslated. Other than that it's pleasantly playable.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Endorph posted:

The PPSSPP forums tend to have tons of little tips and options for optimum performance. I got the macross game from 10 FPS to 60 with no real loss in the graphics department. Just look for the thread for whatever game you're having trouble with.

Thanks for the suggestion, no dice though, just posts about the game not working until about September last year.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

What's a good place to buy PSP games these days?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The UMD format is a lot harder to bootleg than something based on regular-size discs, so Amazon (set to 'amazon.com'), chains with actual walk-in shops, or just any shop with an actual reputation is probably fine.

Also PPSSPP works perfectly well with PSN downloads.

Either way you'll need a PSP to get legitimate images.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Initial D: Street Stage is a very good PSP racing game and also just got a fix recently in PPSSPP so the cars aren't all colored white. :v:

It's a port of version 3 of the arcade game with the physics tweaked to be a bit less drifty (sadly) and a card based unlock system.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 are a good time. Two turns into a bit of a slog, but it's managable, while three is pretty solid all around though needs (and has) a fan translation patch.

The real downside of using a emulator for it is resisting the urge to save scum a lot, tho.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I've been playing FFT: WOTL and it runs well enough once patched to remove the slowdown. However, when I'm on the world map and enter a menu or a town, the map itself goes black. Is there a setting that would cause that to happen? I've scattershot changed stuff to see but no luck. I'm wondering if it's just the emulation.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Levantine posted:

I've been playing FFT: WOTL and it runs well enough once patched to remove the slowdown. However, when I'm on the world map and enter a menu or a town, the map itself goes black. Is there a setting that would cause that to happen? I've scattershot changed stuff to see but no luck. I'm wondering if it's just the emulation.

You might want to check this github thread out, since it apparently helps with that sort of thing. I don't know how exactly you implement that fix, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

You might want to check this github thread out, since it apparently helps with that sort of thing. I don't know how exactly you implement that fix, though.

Any dev build after June 15 should have that commit'd, so grab one of the newer nightly builds and try it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Any dev build after June 15 should have that commit'd, so grab one of the newer nightly builds and try it.

Ah I did that and forgot to update. Worked like a charm. The build I grabbed also made it run more smoothly so there's that too. Thanks!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It's been ages since the last major stable release, so the current nightly builds are much closer to 0.99 than before. It really isn't a long road from where the emulator is currently to perfect support of everything, which is kinda amazing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I wanted to play DJMax but quickly realized why I stopped in the first place, I'm really really bad at it. Any tips for newbies? I see all the notes coming down and I just don't know what the press.

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Anyone have a link to a setup guide for Monster Hunter Portable 3rd?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MMOs & Welfare posted:

Anyone have a link to a setup guide for Monster Hunter Portable 3rd?

Have you tried this guide out? I'm not big on Monster Hunter so I just googled, no clue how much of it can be simplified/done without the Evolve program mentioned.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Wow, this sounds so great and it has definitely come a very long way since I first tried it ages ago.

I own Final Fantasy Tactics WOTL and want to hear what you guys think is the best way to play this - patched to remove slowdown and then on PSP or using this emulator and running it via my laptop on to my TV?

Are the PC hardware requirements significant?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I reaaaally can't stand Tactics Ogre showing all its dialogue in caps. The writing's clearly decent but all caps is not a readable format at all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
PPSSPP, with the right settings, work on a toaster oven. Like my computer is nearing a decade technology wise and it runs smooth. I don't know why it's running so smoothly, considering the graphics of a PPSSPP are much sharper than most PS2 games.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Are the PC hardware requirements significant?

In my personal experience they've been pretty low as far as last-gen emulators go (My computer can't run most PS2 games at 1080p with V-sync at 30fps, but I can run PPSSPP at the best possible sampling with filters at a solid 60fps). The closest to hard-minimum requirements I could find were Dual-Core CPU, 2-gigs of 2 gigs of ram, and support for OpenGL on whatever device you're using.

quote:

I own Final Fantasy Tactics WOTL and want to hear what you guys think is the best way to play this - patched to remove slowdown and then on PSP or using this emulator and running it via my laptop on to my TV?

You won't see huge improvements from running it on PPSSPP (since it's a sprite-based game), but if you prefer to play your SRPG's on a TV/Monitor then the latter is deffo the way to go.

quote:

PPSSPP, with the right settings, work on a toaster oven. Like my computer is nearing a decade technology wise and it runs smooth. I don't know why it's running so smoothly, considering the graphics of a PPSSPP are much sharper than most PS2 games.

If I recall correctly, it has something to do with how most emulators need to emulate the entire console (and then run the game on that), while some quirk of the PSP OS lets them run things more directly (and without the need for a BIOS). Kirbysuperstar or some other more technical poster might be able to give a better, less ignoramus post about it.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 23, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

A rare niche game that I found on PSN and got running on PPSSPP is the giant robot programming game Carnage Heart EXA.

In the future, war is fought by giant automated robots called Overkill Engines (OKEs), and programming them is serious business. A large chunk of the game is taken up by a somewhat story-driven tutorial that teaches you how to program the OKEs, so even if you don't have a background in programming it's pretty easy to pick up, but tricky to master.

OKEs are programmed in a flowchart fashion using various 'chips' that function as program flow commands (for example in the picture, the highlighted chip will branch program flow if there is an enemy OKE within an arc 60m to 200m out in front), action commands (such as the melee action directly above the highlighted chip) and other things.

In the original Carnage Heart game for the PSX, the robots could not be programmed to be controlled directly, but in Carnage Heart EXA you can program it to respond to user controls. Most of the time the OKEs will be running via your programmed AI, though, as battles often involve more than a single OKE operating at once.

Not only are there different CPUs with different chip capacities, execution speeds, and EMP/heat resistances.. but there are multiple OKE frames with different strengths and weaknesses. Two-legged OKEs are agile all-rounders; four-legged OKEs are a little heavier but still capable of jumping; vehicle OKEs are tracked behemoths that are slow and can't really dodge for poo poo, but can carry heavier weapons and armor; and flying OKEs are very agile and difficult to hit, but also fragile. Multiple weapon types and other loadout options make for a customization dream!

I really recommend this game to technically-inclined folks who like programming or people who like giant robots.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Neurion posted:

A rare niche game that I found on PSN and got running on PPSSPP is the giant robot programming game Carnage Heart EXA.

Holy poo poo, they released an English version? How did I never hear about that?

Oh, yeah. It was never released in europe.

Anyway, I loved the original PSX version. I've gotta try that out sometime!

Edit: The English version was released only late last year? Digitally? Weirdness, but cool!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 23, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Also, it's from Artdink and Artdink are really cool. That one Armored Core spinoff game that uses AIs looks fun too but I tried it and it's really hard to get a hang of. If Carnage Heart is better I'll try it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I just noticed that V0.9.9 of PPSSPP rolled out yesterday. Amazing how far they've come, and how quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if V1.0 had 100% support for known, released games at this rate.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Not quite. There are a few rare games that are very broken on it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RadicalR posted:

Not quite. There are a few rare games that are very broken on it.

True, but how many of those will be broken by the time V1.0 comes out, considering how long 0.99 was in the works?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Dominic White posted:

True, but how many of those will be broken by the time V1.0 comes out, considering how long 0.99 was in the works?

Knowing my luck, probably the one I want. Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What post processing filter are you guys applying, if any? The anti aliasing looks good as does the AA color.

Is there any reason to have the resolution higher than what the screen can display? Or do you just leave this at auto?

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

BadAstronaut posted:

Is there any reason to have the resolution higher than what the screen can display? Or do you just leave this at auto?

Setting the rendering resolution as higher than your output resolution is, basically, antialiasing (specifically of a type called supersampling).

Ordinarily this is really performance intensive, but PPSSPP doesn't seem to suffer much from it. It looks great, though!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
This is from a bit back but someone wrote :words: about the problems with Xbox emulation, which is my roundabout attempt at explaining why PPSSPP runs well while most of the other emulators don't.

blueshogun96 posted:

"Xbox is just like a PC, it's easy to emulate!"

Yes, we've all heard this silly and pointless argument a million times and it usually ends in the same, and rather ignorant conclusion (or should I say assumption) that just because the Xbox is PC similar, it's hardware should be relatively easy to emulate. That's a very wrong frame of mind. How hard can it be? Very. Xbox's hardware is very complex and still poorly documented to this day. This requires some explanation.

1. Is a PC easy to emulate? Well, I wouldn't say so myself. Take a look at the source code from bochs. A lot of source code/work isn't it?

2. Emulating an x86 CPU is a lot harder than it sounds. I don't know where this mindless assumption comes from. Yes, there's loads of documentation on how the x86 processor works, but that doesn't exactly make it easy. First of all, the x86 instruction set is M-A-S-S-I-V-E! There can be at least 20 different versions of one instruction (i.e. There are many different versions of the MOV instruction, as well as INC, DEC, ADD, SUB, SHR, SHL, AND, OR, XOR etc.) and it takes time to implement them all. Of course, that's not exactly difficult. The real problem is that any modern x86 processor including the Pentium III can execute multiple instructions at once. So it's not like emulating a Z80 doing one instruction at a time. The actual algorithm and how x86 does this is undocumented and still unknown. In short, the Xbox's CPU can be emulated, but not accurately.

3. Emulating any hardware by NVIDIA is not a walk in the park! The Xbox's GPU, the NV2A is often assumed just a GeForce 3. It's not! It's similar but not identical. It has some GeForce 4 capabilities too, so it's more of a cross between an NV20 and NV25. This is by no means easy to emulate either. NVIDIA's GPUs have very large register sets and afaik not even half of them have been discovered, and a large portion of known registers have unknown purposes. There is little to no documentation on how NVIDIA GPUs work. The best thing to do is to look at similar GPUs such as RIVA, TNT, and older GeForce cards. Some registers are similar, but not identical. The best place to look for information is in open source drivers available on the net. Adding to the dificulty is that no one has ever discovered how pixel shaders work on NV2x cards, vertex shaders yes though. The Xbox GPU also has exclusive registers that are not found in other GeForce cards. Information on the NV2A's GPU registers are just now beginning to be discovered a few months ago. And yet, there's still a long way to go. The GeForce 3 series is the most mysterious of all NVIDIA GPUs (G7x and G8x aside) and the NV2A is alot worse. "But can't you just directly execute the NV2A instructions on another NVIDIA card?". No, I get alot of questions concerning this, and it is impossible. It's MMIO addresses are different and the exclusive registers must be emulated. Plus, in windows, we don't have ring 0 access anyway, so you all can scratch that idea now. Then comes the NForce 2 chipset. This is where it get easier. The NVIDIA MCPX is the control center for things such as audio, USB for input, Network adapters, PCI, AGP, etc. These things are not really that difficult to emulate IMO except for the audio.

4. The Audio system is rather complex. Xbox's audio consists of at least 4 DSPs, and audio codec (AC '97) and an NVIDIA SoundStorm APU. The DSPs shouldn't be a problem (just figuring out what they all are is) nor should the AC '97 but the NVIDIA SoundStorm APU is the really difficult part. So far I haven't found any information on this thing, but right now, it's relevance is low.

5. The Xbox BIOS isn't fully understood. The basic execution process of the BIOS is understood, but details on the process are at a loss. What we do know gives us hints, but before the BIOS can be emulated, we'll need a better understanding of the Xbox hardware layout because the BIOS does some unknown hardware initialization at boot time and writes to the hardware directly without using any XDK stuff. It will take some time, and effort, but I'll eventually get it working.

6. Video Encoder "Hell". Instead of using a RAMDAC for video output, the Xbox uses a Video Encoder. What makes this suck a pain? Microsoft sought the need to change the video encoder every other Xbox version (there are seven in all, 1.0 - 1.6). Why, I dunno, it's a Microsoft thing, they always tend to try to "fix" things that aren't broken >.> AFAIK, there are at least 3 different Video Encoders used: Conexant CX25871, Focus FS454, and Xcalibur. For more information in Xbox video encoders, click here. Emulating all three video encoders is only less than half the battle, the real problem is that BIOSes can be specifically tied to a specific encoder depending on it's version (don't quote me on this though). Like PS2, every Xbox model revision has a updated BIOS and has different expectations. This is a potential problem, but not exactly major.

Basically, I'm trying to get this "Xbox should be easy to emulate because it's just like a PC" crap out of your heads. I'm sure that most of you will disagree with me on this, but for these reasons and more, on a low level, Xbox is harder to emulate than PS2.

^ The exception to that above is that the NV2A is much better documented now, but not fully. There's an open source library for the OpenXDK called pbKit. It interfaces directly with the hardware to fully expose it's potential. This is what Microsoft should have done all along (or at least wrote a low-level OpenGL implementation).

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

To me that doesn't explain why the PSP is easy, just why Xbox and NVIDIA are hard... :confused:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The PSP is fairly easy to emulate well because the CPU is a MIPS R4000-alike, which is long understood and has a fairly simple instruction set. The Media Engine (GPU/SPU) is a bit on the tricky side, but hyrdgard and team have worked some magic on it.

The Xbox falls in a weird place of "mostly" being "just" a PC but with enough differences to make it really hard. The current go for Xbox emulation is converting the XBE to a Windows executable and going from there.

Alternatively, magic!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just to keep the thread from falling into archives or somethinga heads up, about 16 days ago a really nice FFT hack was released changes are:

quote:

-SLOWDOWN FIXED!
-Multiplayer items have been imported into Singleplayer by overriding some existing, rarely used items.
-Multiplayer battles have been imported into Midlight's Deep.
-Ability to purchase any type of good from any town, assuming you've reached the proper point in the story to buy it. (Thanks to Celdia for the idea!)
-Ability to steal from Elmdore.
-Jobs that required level 8 in a job were lowered to requiring level 5.
-1 Day Errands (due to lack of save/loadstating for randoms when they come up)
-Onion Knights get a skillset comprised of basic skills from most jobs.
-Mediators have some slightly altered skills due to lack of ASM for WotL.
-Balthier gets ranged, albeit less accurate Steals and loses Barrage.
-Luso gains normal Squire skills and stats, but has Innate: Poach, Tame, Beastmaster, and Beasttongue.
-Lucavi aren't as tanky as they are in the PSX version of KO, but still have increased HP from the original.
-Enemies may not have the exact setups as they do in the PSX versions of KO.
-The new battle with Algus at Limberry has very rare treasure which can be found if you bring Treasure Hunter.
Some pretty nice stuff there, and it includes the slowdown fix!

In addition, a while ago a full translation of Grand Knights History (beautiful RPG by Vanillaware) was released. The only untranslated/unrefined parts appear the be the online play. I currently don't have access to my main computer so it would be cool if someone was up for getting some nice pics and a summary (and maybe a report on if the multiplayer component is functional).

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

This is great news. Is it for the PSX version or the PSP game? From what I can see this is for playing the PSX version on your PSP, but with all the improvements..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

From the looks of it there's a version for both, but that list is exclusive PSP stuff (hence mention of multiplayer items, Luso and Balthier, slowdown, etc.)

• Locked thread