Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

So what's this, then? :colbert:

Mekakucity Actors is an animated adaptation of the "Kagerou Project", a

What :what:

:shrug:

Well, okay, but what is it about?

:iiam:

Oh come on :cripes:

Well, it's a little hard to give a clear answer to that just yet. This is one of these series that likes to just throw out plot elements shotgun style and then make sense of them later. We're three four (!) episodes in and what we've got so far is that there are these kids? With magic eye powers. And they have a club for kids with magic eye powers.

I think I may have heard this story before. :geno:

:ssh:

Though, in fairness, all of the magic eye powers actually seem to have something to do with eyes. I find it sad that I am awarding points for achieving basic competence, but here we are. :unsmith:

Oh, and it's animated by SHAFT. :allears:

Oh no :ohdear:

No, that's a good thing you philistine. :argh:

Well, alright, but is it any good? You seem pretty down on it.

I am enjoying it enough to want to keep watching it, and to start a thread about it. I think we can say if it's good or not before it shows its cards, though.

Could you tell me who these goons are, at least? :qq:

Why not?

Kido Tsubomi is a magic eye person and a member of the magic eye club (Mekakushi Dan). That's it, that's all I've got. I could go looking for promo material but I'd probably just find spoilers.

She seems nice, in an elder-sister sort of way? :shrug:

Her magic eye power is concealment, allowing her to hide herself and things around her from the sight of others.

Seto Kousuke is another magic eye person. He seems pretty quiet and laid back, maybe?

His magic eye power is mind-reading. But he doesn't like to use it much.

Kano Shuuya is- I think you can probably guess. Seems to be the talky-talky jokester character of the group.

His power is deception, allowing him to change the way others perceive him.

Kozakura Marry is a moeblob klutz.

Her power is "locking eyes", allowing her to freeze anyone that meets her eyes in place.

Kisaragi Momo is an idol, and not terribly happy about it. She entered the industry because she wanted to support her family after her dad ran off and her mother got sick. :smith:

Her power is captivation, allowing her to draw the attention of those around her.

Ene is a vocaloid. :geno:

Okay, seriously: she is some sort of AI girl thing that lives in Shintaro's (below) computer. What's up with that? :iiam:

Her primary character trait appears to be that she likes loving with Shintaro.

Kisaragi Shintaro is one of them hikki types, Momo's elder brother, and (maybe?) our primary protagonist. So why the hell did I put him at the bottom of the list? :v:

Anyway, he seems to spend all day locked in his room, bitching about anime on the internet and arguing with Ene.

His eye power is... ???

Oh, like he's not going to get one. :colbert:

Amamiya Hibiya is younger than the other characters and is crushing on Hiyori something fierce (a doll? :frogon:). He seems to be an overly-excitable romantic, entirely too easily caught up in fantasies and what-ifs.

Konoha is some guy in Hiyori's uncle's house. Doesn't say much, eats a lot. Seems floaty and disconnected.

Asahina Hiyori is self-absorbed and abrasive. Has a crush on Kotonoha.

Anything else?

That's all I've got, I think. If anybody has some actual content to put in this OP then, for the love of God, send it my way.

Please just write like a normal person, I couldn't even pretend to read this whole thing to pretend to make my post relevant to the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Great Lakes Log posted:

Please just write like a normal person, I couldn't even pretend to read this whole thing to pretend to make my post relevant to the thread

:colbert::colbert::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::colbert::colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Okay can someone please explain the end of episode 4 to me as if I have brain damage, it's really cool and interesting but I feel like I don't understand it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If you mean Ene's realization, the girl who started that little eye-powers club was also someone that Ene, and I assume Momo and Shintarou, knew from their past. That same girl also seems to be connected to the two kids who were being kidnapped, who Konoha intervened to help with his eye powers. The short of it is that she seems to be the connecting thread between all the main characters.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Nono Episode 4, the one with Hibiya trying to save Hiyori Groundhog Day-style.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He killed himself to get out of the loop.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

So, episode 6, and we're still basically introducing characters. I think this last episode was the most interesting, though. Also the saddest if you think about what happens to Ene and all.

After episode 5, I could see why Shintarou would want to kill Ene. I would. However, Shintarou himself was a bit of an rear end-hat himself, so maybe he deserves Ene as she is now.

Also, this Mekakucity-thing has songs. All you have to do is Google them. Here is the first. Apparently, these videos and songs were a thing before the episodes got plopped up on Crunchyroll.

I'm still entertained by them, and I do enjoy Shaft's representation of things.

Oh, and as far as episode 4 goes. They were in a death-time-loop with no getting out of it. I think they both die. Maybe one dies to save the other and vice versa. It doesn't end well for either of them. It's not real clear that they end up dead, but I'm pretty sure they do. That doesn't keep the boy from joining the gang later on, though.

Dan7el fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 18, 2014

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
:eng101: Children Record is not actually the first song of the series, that's Artificial Enemy. It is however the first song on the second album, and acts as an "opening theme" of sorts for the whole series.

I'm kind of warming up to how the narrative is being presented in these mostly-unrelated chunks; it mirrors the song series in that there are a lot of tiny details that you can pick up which allow you to piece together the whole narrative, despite that each song is largely self-contained. As of this episode, we've established real connections between all of the characters except Hibiya and Hiyori since Konoha was just kind of crashing with them.

For reference, there were two songs' worth of story covered in today's episode. The first, Headphone Actor, was used as the opening theme and the second, Yuukei Yesterday was the ending theme.

Next week's episode will cover Konoha's State of the World. If it wasn't clear, clicking that link will spoil you for next week's episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So as soon as I saw Takane it was pretty obvious that she is Ene, so I figured this episode might be an informative flashback to answer some of our questions from the last episode. It did answer a few. Then it also raised about 20 more.

Dan7el posted:

So, episode 6, and we're still basically introducing characters. I think this last episode was the most interesting, though. Also the saddest if you think about what happens to Ene and all.

Nope, they're all people we've seen before, though we have no idea what actually happens to Ene, only that at some point afterwards something does.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I liked the way they showed Shintaro smiling during his "you're weak" line instead of the :geno: he has in the manga (and the complete lack of description he has in the LN). He's just so much more punchable as presented here.

(Also interesting that they had him in black instead of red.)

It's nice that the adaptation is varying, just in general. I like not knowing exactly what's going to happen, even if it means sometimes gnashing my teeth at their choice of pacing.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Man, I couldn't imagine anyone other than SHAFT animating this show. Loving the ride so far, if we actually get a reasonably concrete ending this might be contending Ping Pong and Mushishi S2 as my AOTS. I'm extremely curious as to what is up with Shintaro. This anime raises so many questions while teasing answers, it seems like the next episode can never come fast enough, which is always a good thing.

Was the original source also told out-of-order? Because it seems very fitting.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Einander posted:

(Also interesting that they had him in black instead of red.)

Was he wearing red in the LN's scene? I haven't read them yet, but it's interesting to note that there is an actual thematic reason for this.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

pandaK posted:

Was he wearing red in the LN's scene? I haven't read them yet, but it's interesting to note that there is an actual thematic reason for this.

Yeah, he's explicitly wearing the red jersey in the light novel.

It's his middle school uniform, so they may just be trying to distance it from the "modern day" events, but... Yeah, thematically, it's interesting.

KasaiAisu posted:

Man, I couldn't imagine anyone other than SHAFT animating this show. Loving the ride so far, if we actually get a reasonably concrete ending this might be contending Ping Pong and Mushishi S2 as my AOTS. I'm extremely curious as to what is up with Shintaro. This anime raises so many questions while teasing answers, it seems like the next episode can never come fast enough, which is always a good thing.

Was the original source also told out-of-order? Because it seems very fitting.

Very, very much out of order.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So is Shintaro supposed to be a dick cause he seems kinda harmless after whatever made his memory disappear.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

So is Shintaro supposed to be a dick cause he seems kinda harmless after whatever made his memory disappear.

A lot of things changed after whatever singular event led to vocaloid Ene, NEET Shintaro, and red-scarf being dead (I assume she's dead since that's what we've been told, at least). SHAFT's having a lot of fun teasing that.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I think they did a pretty good job with this episode. A lot of the stuff from the source material was cut, but I always thought that part had really slow pacing to begin with, so it may have been for the better. Judging from the voices in the preview, there's going to be a lot going down in next week's episode. Can't wait.

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

I really want to like this anime because of all the SHAFT and Shinbo charm it stuffed into each episode, but I can't do it much longer. We're almost halfway done with it and it feels like nothing has happened at all yet. I see no hint of a plot or a protagonist at all. The only thing there is beautiful visuals and art. There's nothing else though. How am I supposed to follow an anime when there's nothing there to follow?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Jin really, really likes his gradual revelations. It's handled a little like Little Busters (the VN, not the anime): it's a mystery by virtue of teasing lots of things and never letting you quite get the whole picture. If that isn't doing it for you, then that's kind of a problem, unfortunately, but... Fortunately, one of those gradual revelations is "there is a plot."

That particular twist came around the time of Lost Time Memory, though, and episode 8's titled after that song. So if the lack of a visible driving plot means that the series just isn't doing it for you, then we're right about at the point where that might change...

Might, mind you. The anime's changed enough things that I think even the fully-spoiled people aren't exactly sure where this is going.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wolfman Nards posted:

I really want to like this anime because of all the SHAFT and Shinbo charm it stuffed into each episode, but I can't do it much longer. We're almost halfway done with it and it feels like nothing has happened at all yet. I see no hint of a plot or a protagonist at all. The only thing there is beautiful visuals and art. There's nothing else though. How am I supposed to follow an anime when there's nothing there to follow?

While the individual episodes are really well done, SHAFT is really dropping the ball in properly sequencing the episodes together in my opinion. But there is a payoff at the end, if you choose to continue. I mean, you've already gone through half of the show, might as well stick around, right?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

This is an anime that I can't in any way say I think is good but I really want to know what the hell is going to happen next.

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

pandaK posted:

While the individual episodes are really well done, SHAFT is really dropping the ball in properly sequencing the episodes together in my opinion. But there is a payoff at the end, if you choose to continue. I mean, you've already gone through half of the show, might as well stick around, right?

It seems like only people that know the source material tell me to keep watching this and those that don't know it tell me that this is a bad anime. I don't think watching an anime is worth it just because the ending was good. I might as well drop it since I have absolutely no knowledge of the source material and the six episodes of random haven't engaged me at all. It sure is pretty though.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Wolfman Nards posted:

It seems like only people that know the source material tell me to keep watching this and those that don't know it tell me that this is a bad anime. I don't think watching an anime is worth it just because the ending was good. I might as well drop it since I have absolutely no knowledge of the source material and the six episodes of random haven't engaged me at all. It sure is pretty though.

As someone who does not know the source material, I like this show quite a bit. I don't really feel the need for something to "happen" like so many others. I feel like all the characters meeting up and figuring out how they're all connected is what's happening and it's enough for me. Although it also helps that it's Shaft doing it, makes it more interesting to me.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Admoon posted:

As someone who does not know the source material, I like this show quite a bit. I don't really feel the need for something to "happen" like so many others. I feel like all the characters meeting up and figuring out how they're all connected is what's happening and it's enough for me. Although it also helps that it's Shaft doing it, makes it more interesting to me.

I feel pretty much exactly the same way. I think it's a great show and the story is going at a perfectly good pace for me. The first several episodes all fit together quite well to tell a cohesive story. The last episode didn't fit obviously into the Blindfold Gang story but it did give some backstory to a bunch of the show's characters. The only episode that didn't fit in obviously was the one about the two kids.

That said, even though I like the show a lot I wouldn't tell Wolfman or anyone else to keep watching it just solely because I don't have any idea where it's going.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Oh yeah I think I would need to see how it ends too before I ever try to recommend it to someone. I understand why someone wouldn't be into it yet.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Wolfman Nards posted:

Because the show isn't plot-driven or character-driven, it's... situational-driven. And not everything can be as well done as Baccano!, and not everyone has to enjoy this style, but it has not been terrible so far.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Because the show isn't plot-driven or character-driven, it's... situational-driven. And not everything can be as well done as Baccano!, and not everyone has to enjoy this style, but it has not been terrible so far.

I think why Baccano! worked better was that each scene has some form of plot or characterization. In Mekakucity, there's some characterization but not much plot (though when there has been plot it's been pretty spectacular). Most of the show has been characters talking to each other. Now that worked amazingly in Monogatari where the dialog was the core of the show, but here it's somewhat of a hindrance.

e: Looks like we've found our antagonist.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 24, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
e: dp

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
That was a lot heavier than I thought it would be. Kano is kind of a dickhead.

Also I liked how the intro was 18 minutes long while the actual episode was two minutes.

EDIT: The soundtrack for this show is fantastic.

Ryas fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 26, 2014

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

At this point I'm really wondering what the point of the red eye powers are. It seems like there's already a really interesting story in how all the characters relate to each other, but there's got to be some reason to introduce magic as a plot point.

Also so confused as to how Takene's last day alive went, but I guess that's kind of the point. This episode was great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KasaiAisu posted:

At this point I'm really wondering what the point of the red eye powers are. It seems like there's already a really interesting story in how all the characters relate to each other, but there's got to be some reason to introduce magic as a plot point.

Also so confused as to how Takene's last day alive went, but I guess that's kind of the point. This episode was great.

I bet it's some sort of Money's paw thing where their powers are actually a result of a wish of some sort that wasn't exactly as planned.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
This episode was pretty much a giant infodump, which the show needed desperately. Finally, some light shed on the powers and the stuff that happened to the kids in episode 4.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ryas posted:

This episode was pretty much a giant infodump, which the show needed desperately. Finally, some light shed on the powers and the stuff that happened to the kids in episode 4.

I'm assuming the episode 4 crazyness took place after they disappeared during the kidnapping, which makes it really confusing. Also, whatever happened to Konoha? (They'll probably tell us next episode, slowly and agonizingly.)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A good episode, but I kind of feel the song/animatic at the end really spoiled some future revelations, especially the fact that there's something about Marry. So she's the Monster, right?

Of course, the show is my first exposure to this franchise, so I might be way off base.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I was highly amused by the fact that 90% of this episode was a lot of sitting around talking and not much happening, and then a whole wodge of plot development got shunted into the credits sequence.

SHAFT, just make a full-on musical already. You know you want to.

EDIT:

Mordja posted:

A good episode, but I kind of feel the song/animatic at the end really spoiled some future revelations, especially the fact that there's something about Marry. So she's the Monster, right?

Of course, the show is my first exposure to this franchise, so I might be way off base.

I don't think that was spoiling the revelation so much as that was the revelation.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Autonomous Monster posted:

I don't think that was spoiling the revelation so much as that was the revelation.

I agree. That has got to be the revelation, especially with it foreshadowed in the OP (3:10 in ep 8).

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I'm assuming the episode 4 crazyness took place after they disappeared during the kidnapping, which makes it really confusing. Also, whatever happened to Konoha? (They'll probably tell us next episode, slowly and agonizingly.)

The second half of episode 4 definitely took place after the kidnapping. As for Konoha, well, apparently Hibiya, Hiyori, Konoha and Shintaro were all sucked into SHAFTworld at once, so maybe he was the "toll" Shintaro had to pay to return?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I'm impressed that they've managed to change so much material but still keep Lost Time Memory exactly the same relative to the rest of the series: a lot of SOL with some weird moments, followed by the abrupt and unexplained avalanche of new answers and new questions. LTM is what made me really like the original PV series, so I'm glad to see a pretty good adaptation of it.

Ryas posted:

The second half of episode 4 definitely took place after the kidnapping. As for Konoha, well, apparently Hibiya, Hiyori, Konoha and Shintaro were all sucked into SHAFTworld at once, so maybe he was the "toll" Shintaro had to pay to return?

Nah, Shintaro had the red eyes appear right before a flashback to Ayano, Takane and Haruka earlier that same episode. This last episode told us both that 1) leaving that place is what triggers them and 2) Shintaro's eye power shows him the past. (At least the past, anyway.)

So he's probably had them from the start of the series... Somehow. Which makes things interesting in a lot of ways.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
This series is to me worth it just for getting to hear more of LiSa's energetic singing :allears:

I feel I'm a bit of the opposite from some people, its the individual episodes that confuse me in some Lost-ish fashion while the overall plot makes more sense to me.

I hope full versions of the insert songs come out by the voice actors, I like them a lot.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

This series is to me worth it just for getting to hear more of LiSa's energetic singing :allears:

I feel I'm a bit of the opposite from some people, its the individual episodes that confuse me in some Lost-ish fashion while the overall plot makes more sense to me.

I hope full versions of the insert songs come out by the voice actors, I like them a lot.

What do you mean? I though that was the general consensus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What the gently caress was that animation. :psyduck:

• Locked thread