Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

Earlier today, "Big" Mike woke up feeling good for the first time in a long time. That last sickness hit him hard, and wore away the last vestiges of his once massive girth. His Booby Traps held up, so no one bothered him. His Junkyard usually has the raw materials he needs. The rain barrels doting his junkyard are a bit excessive, enough fresh water to last a few years of drought because, why not when it's just a basic funnel system and a plastic container? So he's not thirsty either.

No, Mike is here because the hydraulics in his garage are shot, and the blades fell off his windmill in the last storm. He'll need an extra set of hands for a repair like that. No windmill means no lights, no heating, and no powertools.

Trying to add/restore Garage to my workspace, which is itself a Workspace move

But why come here, further afield, for hired labor when surely someone in Lil Town would help him? Don't know. Just felt right. Maybe someone here needs help.

I figure the hold with there when he's needed comes up in an important case, but it's pretty routine for him to just show up right when something breaks down or someone needs a hand. Rolling for my hold: There When I'm Needed: 2d6+2 8

Big Mike posted:

(not so big anymore)

"Big" Mike the Savvyhead

What’s on the surface
Big Mike owns Big Mike’s Autoshop & Junkyard just off the Turnpike. He owned it before the poo poo. He owns it now. It’s nice to see that kind of continuity in a hosed up world like this. He still shows up in his piece-of-poo poo tow truck whenever you’re in a jam, just so he can have the pleasure of explaining every wrong turn you’ve ever taken in your life. Sure, he’ll get you out of it, for a fair price… if you don’t count the lecture. Most folks went with Pep-Boys. Now he’s got a monopoly, and he really loves to milk it. No, no, the price is still fair… if you don’t count the lecture.

What lies beneath

Mike Bercouski is an old man who loves his community. There’s so much continuity in him, most folks don’t see the wrinkles grow. They don’t see how heavy everything has become. He only has a few years left, maybe less in this dangerous new world. They don’t know it, but he does. His dear wife died a long time ago. It would be natural if he followed her. His son left for college before the outbreak. He likes to believe that the boy is still alive, but San Francisco? Not a real chance. He can admit that, but only when he’s having an honest night alone, in the dark, waiting for the ever-encroaching horde to finally break through the traps.

All he has left is the ever dwindling folks in his little town. He tries to look out for them. He tries to set them right. Get their stuff working again. Get their lives back on track. Set an example. Show them that life doesn’t have to change so much. That if they try hard enough, they can make things right again, for the future. He hopes someone will pick up the torch and carry on. When he finally kicks the bucket, and Bike Mike’s Autoshop & Junkyard closes down for good, the last piece of the old world will be gone.

Savvyhead
Stats
Cool+1 Hard-1 Hot=0 Sharp+2 Weird+2

Look
Man with vintage wear & tools, a marked face, white beard, appraising eyes, and an aged body.

Workspace
A Junkyard
A Truck
Booby Traps

Gear
Shotgun (3-harm close messy)
Old girl served me well in a few tight spots. Each shot gives me a bruise now though. Don't know how many more times I can pull the trigger without falling over.
Crowbar (2-harm hand messy)
Useful tool, always carry one now. Pry open boxes, open doors, lift debris, break monster skulls. A lot of applications for a lever.
Anti-Spore Suit 2.3 (2 armor)
Used to be something beautiful to behold. Could walk through a spore field without fear. Could get hit with a whole mob and come out without a scratch. Could get in a firefight and see bullets bounce right off. Now it's lighter, sleeker, and inferior. I couldn't wear the old one anymore. Too heavy for these old bones.

3-Barter
Solar charger
Portable DVD player + DVDs
Spare tool kit

Moves

There when he's needed
At the beginning of the session, roll+weird. On a 10+, hold 1+1. On a 7–9, hold 1. At any time, either you or the MC can spend your hold to have you already be there, with the proper tools and knowledge, with or without any clear explanation why. If your hold was 1+1, take +1forward now. On a miss, the MC holds 1, and can spend it to have you already be there, but somehow pinned, caught or trapped.

Knows what's right for you
When a character comes to you for advice, tell them what you honestly think the best course is. If they do it, they take +1 to any rolls they make in the doing, and you mark an experience circle

No-poo poo Driver
Big Mike’s Tow Truck
Power +2, Looks +1, 1 armor, weakness+1
Vintage Truck, rugged, uncomplaining
Weakness: Loud (apparently)

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=3 EXP=0/5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=0:00

Mike sniffs himself and recoils a little, "sorry, sorry. Been out of it lately. Selling soap huh? Any anti-bacterial properties or is it just a lump of perfume? You know what you outta do is make a liquid soap with a bit of pumice. You know, like Fast Orange? Or... I guess you don't remember Fast Orange. Anyway, pumice soap will get the grease out and folks don't have to waste water to wash.

"Now that's a fine invitation. Mighty civilized of ya. If you was someone else," he gives a slight nod over to Juck, "I'd figure you were fixing to eat these old bones. Tell you what, you can see this as a trade, or just a fine neighborly day, but I also need a little help. Need some extra hands for a few odd jobs back at the Yard. I'll fix up your truck real nice, replace some parts if need be, if you help me out. Then we can head over to the Uni and if you cook a good meal and promise to share a batch I'll help you up your soap making game. Even if you don't need help with the recipe, I'm sure we can whip up some better tools. Glad you can see the importance of soap. It's one of the cornerstones of civilization, you know? Don't want that art lost..."

Mike continues to drone on for a while as he meanders towards Black Betty for a diagnosis.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

"poo poo, Quincy got killed? That's sad, real sad. He was a good kid, smart, had a lot of hope in him... But talk like that will kill us quicker than folks like Juck. Most of human history has had bandits. Plagues too. All humanity needs is a few people with a lot of spirit and we can bounce back. But once we give up, everything goes to poo poo. China survived Ghengis Khan, we can survive Juck. Besides, she's bad, but what she's doing now shows her head still works even if her heart broke down. Even if she kicks everyone's rear end and murders most of us, the number of folks useful to her will keep expanding. Few generations and she'll be the "Great Queen" or some bullshit and humans will keep trucking on. I just hope they still remember how to make soap."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Mike squeezes out from under the truck and gives the man a long look. A bit slow and jovial with a broken necked partner.

Read a Person: 2d6+1 10

1. Is Taco character telling the truth? (in any part of the speech, like is there actually a hurt person or a treasure trove)
2. What does Taco intend to do?
3. How can I get Taco to leave peacefully without a grudge?

He turns to Faustina for the diagnosis, "she's sputtering herself dry. Will probably blow up soon. I can fix it, got the parts I need back at the yard. But for now you need an infusion. You can trade for the oil, or we can scavenge it from one of the wrecks. I can tow her back, but even after it's fixed you'll still need the oil. Your call, but I wouldn't buy oil when there's more broken cars than people on the roads. I know a good spot to look for relatively clean stuff.

If you look for oil where Mike tells you, you'll get a +1 bonus and I'll get a free xp.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

Mike nods to himself. "Sure, friend, sure. This is quite some trouble you've found yourself in. I'll help you. I can't speak for Faustina here, but I can try to convince her," he turns to Faustina and gives her a look, "A life is really on the line, but whenever we go out, we risk bandits. Please accompany me, but keep your eyes sharp and your weapons ready." Back to Taco, "I need to do something important, really quick. I know time is of the essence for your friend, but it's necessary to assure the success of our endeavor."

I look around, we've been talking about Juck behind her back. She'd probably rob them slightly less, because her bikes are always needing repair work. That's a delicate gamble. Then he spots Angel Eyes, having a spirited conversation and heading towards Juck. Another gamble, but a more interesting one. I don't know what exactly she'd do, but it contains the possibility of the group coming out of this unscathed.

He jogs over, then quickly gets winded and has to slow down. Those old lungs aren't what they used to be. "Hey, Angel Eyes," he wheezes, "you said to ask if I need anything. I got a little work for you. You do bodyguarding?"

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 29, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=3 EXP=3/5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=0:00

Mike wheezes, something tugs at his heart. He feels weak, he feels the other side calling. Not yet. Please not yet. his blurry eyes look up at Perry and Frog. Standing between the two worlds, he sees something... strange.

Psychic Maelstrom: 2d6+2 6 (Oh God!)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Big Mike doesn't believe in any kind of "psychic maelstrom" gobbly gook. When he opens his mind it's usually in a stressful situation when he doesn't know what to do exactly. To him it feels like he's dying. His sight blurs, he feels a sharp pain, and then his body feels light. He sees the world in some kind of twisted way, often in a kind of animalistic symbolism. His bonefeel is also psychic, but it's more gentle and usually comes to him in dreams or impressions, nothing conscious. The Maelstrom itself is probably a link between minds created by the trace amounts of spores in everyone's system.

He definitely opened his mind in response to the guns coming out as soon as he stumbled into a hot situation. He was looking at Perry and Frog at them time. (I, the player, wanted to get some insight into their true nature, but I failed the roll. No idea what happens now.)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=3 EXP=3/5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=3:00

I stumble and fall to one knee next to Frog, my old bones creaking. For a long time I stare down at the corpse, unseeing,"think I just had a stroke," I whisper to myself. I turn him over, making sure the man is dead. Then turn my head to look sideways at Angel Eyes. I speak loud enough for most of the onlooking crowd to hear.

"Justice is a rare and beautiful thing. It's seldom found in this world. Some think it's dead and gone. For a moment, there was justice here. You used your power to make it so. A person has the right to know their accuser, and what they're accused of. Guilt must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. A case must be heard by a jury of peers or an impartial judge. Wonderful ideas. Old ideas. But then he questioned your authority. And you had enough power to kill him. But not enough to give him mercy and allow his scorn to pass unchecked. He ran, and he died, and justice died with him..."

After closing the man's eyes, I laboriously stand up and walk closer to Angel Eyes. I don't embrace her or anything crazy, but my body language shows that I still accept her as part of my hosed up community, "...for now. Ideas never really die. And people always have a choice. Maybe next time, you'll make a different choice. Maybe next time you'll use your power to bring truth and justice back to this broken world again. I have a simple job if you want it." Now my voice lowers so only Angel Eyes can hear, "Taco over there is in a bit of trouble. His friend needs medical help, and he needs repair work. He has a little treasure trove he's promised to share in payment. Problem is, his promise is likely false. He's not going to want to pay us unless he has to. Your capacity for violence and your scary reputation will probably be enough. If he pays me, I'll share it with you. If he doesn't, or you think the pay is insufficient, I'll pay you in goods or services out of my pocket. If it comes to violence, I'll be glad to have you with me. But power can be used in many ways. Like the nukes of old, I hope your deadly presence reduces violence, and does not create it."

Mike looks her in the eye, trying to read the coldness there, "will you take the job? No hard feelings if it's not your thing."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

Mike shakes her hand, "respirator? Sure, sure, that's quite a bargain you're giving me. Maybe a few hours of your labor for a few minutes of mine. How about I check it out for you, fix it up real nice, and I owe you another little favor? I'm not in the business of doing unfair deals. 'Big Mike's prices, they're always fair,' that's what folks say. Said it before, say it now, say it till the day I die. Reliable service, good prices. That's what I built my business on, when I founded it back in the day. Do you remember back then? Maybe a little, what were you, 8? Well, there used to be chain stores, franchises. You still see them in the ruins. Always find the same junk in a jiffy lube. Anyway, I said to myself..."

Then Faustina interrupts the proceedings, Mike speaks after Angel Eyes, "Oh, hey Faustina! Yeah, Angel Eyes tried to make this little oasis into a courtroom. He didn't take very kindly to it. Personally, I would have let him run and just let folks know what he asked for, but we all have different ways of living. Oh well, each dawn is a new chance. Maybe someday we'll get that courtroom up and running again proper. Oh, Angel Eyes is coming with us, by the way. Keep Taco honest."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

"Ice us and take the goods? No, I don't think so. Maybe. But I don't think so. That would make too much sense. This girl has a twisted sense of honor, I think. She's much crazier than Juck. But that's good. It means she'll do the job nice and clean and take almost nothing, just because it's something to do. I'm going, because a neighbor asked for my help. I'm bringing Angel Eyes, because that neighbor will probably rob us on the road if we don't bring back up, and she's the scariest back up I know. I'd like you to come, because you have more medical training than me and because you're a good person who won't shoot me in the back. It's up to you though. I help all my neighbors, and if I need it, I'll ask for help from any of my neighbors. They can murder each other over nothing. They can rob, and steal, and pillage, and hurt each other in all manner of ways. But I'm a stubborn old man. I've been proper neighborly for 60 years! I'm not stopping now, apocalypse or no!"

I shake my finger at the sky with a curmudgeonly fervor, as if warning the apocalypse to stay off my lawn.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

"Fantastic, fantastic, what a fun little outing this will be!" I meander over to the tow truck. It was a beauty in this day and age. Perfectly maintained, even downright pretty. The paint job was a perfect baby blue, with "Big Mike's Tow, Repair, & Junk" written in bright white letters on the back and sides. Strange how everyone let things get run down these days, no one wants to put in a little extra effort when there's no shortage of paint. Whatever seating arrangements Faustina wanted to make, they would need his truck for the repair and tow Taco asked for. Weird that Faustina wanted Angel Eyes to ride with her. Honestly felt a little lonely, but he wasn't about to argue the point with everyone upset.

I grab my spore suit out of the back and put it on. It's a good set of armor, designed to avoid infection but also good against bullets and blunt trauma. The old one worked better, honestly. But it's too uncomfortable and heavy. He was old, and these days he'd sacrifice a little protection for a lot of comfort. Still, there was a bloom and I have no idea what I'm getting into. Besides, the armor was a lot more intimidating than the repair man get-up, and intimidating is good in these circumstances.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

I raise my hands passively, showing no aggression. I look for Angel Eyes, giving her a cautious be ready, but nothing for now look. "Now, now Juck, no need for dramatics here. Bike trouble you say? Well, last time I worked on those bikes I had a feeling that the lining of the tires was a little weak. That stuff wears out real quick, you know. So I went salvaging last week. You're going to owe me a big favor, but not for my ride." Mike slowly makes his way to the back of the truck, again making no aggressive moves, and lifts the tarp to reveal a set of motorcycle tires in good condition, matching Juck's damaged bikes. Spending my hold

"Now, I know you're in a hurry. But with my tools your gang and I can replace these tires in a few minutes. Your opponent probably expects you to jack a ride. But a truck isn't maneuverable like a bike. In a truck all your boys are bunched together. In a truck you'll be slow, easier to corral, unable to split up and fight like a pack. If you take my vehicle you would be doing what they want. They can predict it. But there's no way they could predict that you'd somehow manage to fix the bikes right away. Surprise will be on your side again."

You'll get +1 in the coming confrontation if you take my advice and use bikes instead. I'll also get 1 xp.

Seeing the girl leave, Mike shouts, "Hey, Faustina! Stick around, we might be able to manage that rescue anyway!"

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 3, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

Mike sighs, and he looks a little older than before, his eyes become distant, "of course he was planning on robbing me. He was going to rob me for help I would have given. But then he would have hesitated with Angel Eyes here, and he would have felt ashamed, and he would have reconsidered his life choice, and then in the future he would have... and Angel Eyes would have seen... and Faustina would have realized..." each word gets a little quieter, as if even Mike is realizing the craziness of what he's saying.

"Well, that's one brighter future dead. Anyway, I once changed a full set of 4 in 45 seconds. My plan would have worked, and better than this one. Now there's a good chance I'll be shot as we drive right into a trap. Hey, Angel Eyes, this ain't what you signed up for precisely, but you wannna switch that job to getting me out of this things alive?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=3 EXP=3/[b]5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=3:00

I calmly step between them. Faustina probably doesn't even notice, with here eyes shut like that, that her gun is pointed right at my heart. Maybe she'll shoot, but maybe this will save her life. I have a lot fewer years in me than she does. Fair trade. I put on my best grandpa voice, even if I never got the chance to see my probably-dead-long-ago grandchild.

"Calm down dear, calm down. You have a good point. She can take the Jeep. But she can ride with me if she wants to. It's both OK. Not a great plan, but OK." I half shout behind me at Juck. "You wanna do me a real favor? For the ride and the tires? Leave the girl and her folks alone, as best you can, unless your life is on the line. I know it looks a bit like it here, but you see, I don't think her shot will make it through this body armor. Certainly not enough to get to you. So no life on the line, right? No threat."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

I don my mask and seal the suit. I look like some kind of futuristic super-soldier, not the look I like but the suit works. Maybe I should re-color it? Don't wander, keep your mind in the game.

"Sorry Trudy, but Juck here is rather insistent I give her a ride right now. You can come with, or you can take Betty. She's not good right now, leaked out all her oil. If you put oil in she'll make it another ride just fine. If you don't, she'll probably make it but it'll be nasty. But you got her here, you can probably get her to the Yard... or you can stay and help fight for the watering hole. Up to you. I can fix her at the Yard later. Just... if you go to the Yard, park outside. Don't want you to step on a landmine."

"Angel Eyes, I plan to keep my word, sure you can respect that. I'm giving Juck a ride to the rendezvous but I'm not fighting for her, if she does something stupid or there's an ambush on the way I'd sure welcome your help."

"Let's go Juck. We'll take the side road like you say. You might want to have your boys lie down underneath the tarp, in case they have eyes on the road. Very least it will make it harder for them to pick targets."

I jump in the front seat and start up the truck. Fires up on the first turnover, purring like new. I take care of my toys, although this one will probably have holes in it before we're done.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

I sigh again and gun it once everyone is inside. I turn to Angel Eyes, who apparently called Shotgun:

"This is quite a mess. A real drat mess. Glad you've got my back, but here's the thing: I'm not killing for that girl. I'll kill for my life. I might even kill for, say, the college girl's lives. But I'm not going to kill somebody over some grudge that's probably Juck's fault to begin with. And if I ask you to do it, it's the same as doing it myself. So we'll give her a ride. I'll do that much cause she had every right to kill Faustina after she pulled, but didn't. After that they're getting the gently caress out of my truck and doing whatever bullshit they're meaning to do. If they try to press us into this fight... well, I'm not doing it. We'll see what happens if it happens."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

"It works," I rasp, my voice distorted by the mask. I hate the drat thing. It's strong, filters perfectly, would let me walk through a whole cloud of spores, but the glass distorts my sight, makes me feel separate. Makes me feel like a monster. But maybe that's how I survived so long. By putting on a mask, and becoming a monster, when I need to.

Time to go. Even if I slow down for more passengers, they don't want to go where we're going. Maybe a short hop on the truck would have got them out of harm's way. But there's a good chance Juck would motivate him towards haste by just shooting anyone he tried to pick up. Better they take their chances on foot.

Better for them? No, no, better for you.

I step on the gas and zoom towards the gate.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

Monster and Neighbor war within. With the Mask, monster is winning. But on this they can come to a compromise. It's the right thing to do. She's useful. We owe her one. If Juck shoots the weak one, the blame will be on her, we will look pure in the eyes of the people.

The Truck slows down and swings by Lance. Maybe some other folks chasing the car will climb aboard too. Good, we need to help them. I'm staying in the truck, I can punch through, it's the riders on the back who will be eaten in a Swarm.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=3 EXP=4/5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=3:00

I turn my head to look at Juck. She sees only the mirrored eyes of an insect-like gas-mask.

Then I use this moment of stillness while I wait for Angel Eyes to get back with her herd of riders to read the situation. This delay could be deadly if we take the gate. Maybe there's a smarter way to do things.

Read a Sitch: 2d6+1 10

Where's my best way past the zombies to get to where we're going?

What should I be on the lookout for?

Which enemy is the biggest threat?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I slow down the truck. Wouldn't want to steal this opportunity from the adrenaline junky.

"Angel Eyes, would you please get the gate?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=3 EXP=4/5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=3:00

Once Angel Eyes is back I drive a little ways to "safety", lean out the window, and speak to the crowd in the back. I pull up my mask and suddenly I'm an affable if quirky old man again.

"Quite a crowd back there. If you want to jump ship, now's the time. I very strongly encourage you to leave at this juncture. Juck here is rather insistent that I take her to what will almost certainly become a rather heated battlefield. I cannot guarantee you won't be gunned down in the crossfire if you come alone. If you still want to stay, I'll drive you home after, assuming I'm still breathing. You're welcome to hide under the tarp below the bed here and hope they don't have heavy weaponry."

I turn back to the front with Lace and Angel Eyes, "It's probably safer if Lace sticks with us with those legs. Better to sit in a truck through the firefight than limp around the woods with a horde nearby. Just stay low in here and try not to catch a bullet. That's my plan."

After the drop-off I put my mask back on proper and drive around the rails, carefully looking for an ambush. I look so hard the world gets hazy, my breathing gets hard, and the rails move underneath me like snakes. I can almost see them, the hostile eyes watching me from afar...

Opening my brain to the Psychic Maelstrom, trying to foresee the bullshit I'm about to drive into... possibly crashing into a tree.

Open Your Brain: 2d6+2 5

It's not my fault, the MC told me to do it!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Big Mike
Barter=3 EXP=0 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=3:00

Called it! But not the rocket launcher. If that drat woman had just listened and taken bikes, they wouldn't all be sitting ducks in the back of my big old shining target of a truck. Well, no time for those lamentations now. With surprising reflexes for an old man, I step on the gas and jerk the steering wheel. The only way to avoid the blast radius is to use the momentum I already have. What I'm asking the old truck to do is mad, but this is a mad world. I feel like I'm the truck, and the truck is me. I can see the narrow path I must weave, if I'm going to drive out of this alive.

Act under fire: 2d6+3 10

And I follow it with psychic perfection. With a burst of speed and a screech of tires, the truck passes by the rocket with only inches to spare and barrels towards the attackers at full speed. There's a massive explosion behind us, the shrapnel just barely missing the crowded bed of the vehicle.

Big Mike’s Tow Truck

Power +2, Looks +1, 1 armor, weakness+1
Vintage Truck, rugged, uncomplaining
Weakness: Loud (apparently)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=3 EXP=0/5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=3:00

"Now this is a conundrum. Someone shoots at you, you got a right to shoot back. But I'm only in this situation because Juck is a terrible person. I'm planning to drop her off... aggressively."

I can see Juck is trying to leap on Karen with a machete. That seems dumb, but this whole thing is dumb. Let's help her do dumb poo poo. With a slam on the brakes and a sudden jerk of the wheel I help Juck by throwing her straight at her opponent!

Help Juck: 2d6+4 12

+1 to that roll!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

"Yeah, I got a better plan. Tell these chuckleheads," he makes a dismissive gesture at the gang members still in the back, "to get the gently caress out of my truck so we can drive Lace home and get a drink!"

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 11, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

I, also up front, shout "poo poo!" and duck down, "gently caress it Angel! Let's get out of here!"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

I shrug, put petal to metal, and shout "fair enough!" If she lives, I'll fix her respirator up nice and give her something pretty... like armor piercing bullets or a spare motorcycle or whatever little thing she wants. A good tip for a true professional. The folks in the back will just have to come along. They can jump out if they want to help their boss. I have a feeling no one is going to put a bullet in my head for cowardice at this juncture. The truck lurches forward and then I whip it around at speed, making sure to stay drat low. A few strays might hit the cab while we move. Lace is lower, but she doesn't have to see the road.

Act under fire: 2d6+3 13

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

I would save these assholes because there are precious few people left and everyone has a chance for redemption. Sure, they're killers, but these are hard times and no one is completely clean. I'm not the sort to pick and choose who lives and who dies. I'll help anyone who asks, assuming they don't mean to kill me, and sometimes even when they do (like Taco rest his soul) and I hope that sets a better example for everyone.

I would save these assholes because I still have a use for them. Lots of wounded is better than lots of dead for my purposes.

I angle the bed to give them the cover they need. Once we've driven a little ways to "safety" I pull over and inspect the damage. Lots of cosmetics, my truck is less pretty, but nothing serious. I do the same for the thugs in the back. All the gunfire might bring spores down, but for now it looks good. I take off the mask to have a friendly conversation.

"Looks like you have some bullet holes in ya. Ya'll eager to get back in the fight, or do ya want me to drop you off somewhere? I know a medical professional, she might be back at my place, might be on the road, might still be stuck in the hot zone with the mushrooms. I got a feeling she's still alive and kicking though. Or you can handle yourselves."

I tilt my head and listen to the choppers and gunfire in the distance.

"Sounds like your side is winning, maybe. If she comes back it'll be on this road. I could wait here a few and give you a hand with the basic patching. Even give a ride to the wounded... for a fair price. Folks with bum legs, broken arms, gunshot wounds, can't ride bikes very well. How do ya'll deal with that anyway?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

Partridge finds Mike, not in the driver's seat, but in the back wrapping up bullet wounds as best he can. Jeannete was loosing a lot of blood and looking pale. He wasn't an expert, but most folks have figured out by now that if you got shot and want to live an extra hour or so you put stick a cloth on the wound and wrap it up with pressure to control the bleeding. Just finishing up, I have a lot of blood on my overalls but thankfully none of it is mine.

"Howdy! I was hoping you'd come this way... Looks like Juck got a nasty wound there. You can put her in here, that way she can lay down and things will be a touch more gentle. I was just thinking, I know a medic and some supplies, got a feeling she's stuck at the ranch, closest place we can get to. Your bikes are there too. But first we'll need to clear the place, no good treating someone with biters running around, and if we try to move the patients too much the shock will get em. I reckon the ranch is as far as they'll make it. Now, you might think that's a bit of a risk, but it ain't if you do it smart. Split into two groups, come at it from either side, using the fence for cover. Team A comes from one side, thins out the numbers. Once they all gather up by Team A, you pull out and Team B shoots em from the other side. Once they make it to the fence by Team B, Team A comes around again. See what I mean? You'll lose some bullets, but won't lose a man... if you refrain from loving up that is"

Once they've loaded the rest of their wounded, including Juck, back into the truck I climb back to the front to drive the thing. One of the bikers replaces me as medic with a few bandages and drugs and such to help keep those folks alive long enough for them to Clear the K-Ranch.

I spot a distant lone figure on the road. "Hey, is that Angel Eyes? She's with us, you mind giving her a cycle ride back to the truck? Time is of the essence."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

"Right back at ya Angel Eyes! Looks like we made it through without too much trouble, some of Juck's crew wasn't so lucky, so they're thinking of clearing the ranch. Salvaging it for medical supplies, maybe finding someone who still knows how to save a life. I was going to lend a hand hauling the wounded. I figure you earned your wage, but you're still welcome to ride with me."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

Taking down the mask out of politeness, I lean out the window. Faustina! Great to see you! I was a bit worried, leaving you with Old Betty being so ill. I take it she didn't go very far? Oh well, if it can't be fixed it can be remade. I'll make sure you get a working set of wheels soon. Need a ride? If so I'd appreciate you keeping the folks in the back breathing.

He beckons her closer and lowers his voice, keeping this part of the conversation private, "Between you and me, their lives aren't... ah, top shelf. But people are people and there ain't enough of us left to quibble over a few thousand past sins. Besides, it'll be a gold star for you with this pack of murderous psychopaths. Juck's in the back, and this may seem like a strange thing to say, but if she didn't have such a soft spot for you we'd both be dead by now. You let Juck die, the pack fights for leader. They'll turn dumber and meaner and burn more bridges. Would turn into war with the Uni before the year's out, I can guarantee it. These old eyes are sharper than you think."

Sometimes I wonder why I say these things. Why I do these things. My dreams, they get stranger every night. In my dreams there's a path, a golden path, a path to a better world. Light dances, and machines whirl, and all voices sing as one. I get these impressions... Maybe my instincts have just gotten sharper over the years. I just know that every little thing matters now, everything I do can make the world better or worse in a big way. I won't live to see the effects of everything I put into motion. That's why people like Faustina matter. She's smart, and she's young, and she's important somehow. By murdering Taco, Juck set us off the tracks. Faustina was supposed to learn something important, but now she learned something else. But there's always another chance.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

If Patridge had followed my plan there would be no risk. But I see that he's lost his nerve, and the time we took negotiating didn't help. The gang can do what they want, I'm taking the wounded back to the Uni where they can get the help they need. Moving quick, but trying not to jostle anyone too bad, I turn the truck around and gun it. I got the people I came here for, and hopefully with all the baddies on us the other trapped folks will be able to pull out.

On the way out I notice Blackwolf's bike for the first time. Huh. I built that bike a long time ago for a nice gal who saved me from a pack of shrooms. Work of art, that was. Not crippled like all the bikes I "fix" for Juck.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 20, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=3 EXP=1/5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=3:00

As I whip the truck around I see Faustina in the rearview. She was doing reasonable stuff with needles and thread and bandages, but it looks like she's just given up. Now she's closed her eyes and grabbed the wound. Praying or something? I haven't had much use for it, not since the wife died. Whole church died with her, and she'd be awful sore if I prayed with the crazies popping up these days. Always was picky about her faith.

Faustina's body goes limp at the worst time, just as we hit a bump mid turn. I was going to correct course and zoom out of here but if I do that I can see her going over the side and loosing her grip on Juck. Can't have that, so I let the vehicle drift to catch everyone right back where they were. I let out a little prayer for good measure. I'll need it, as I just blocked half the road with a horde of monsters moving in!

Aiding Faustina, use the main number if the vehicle helped, subtract two if only the psychic prayer is any help.

Help Faustina: 2d6+2 10

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=3 EXP=2/5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=3:00

I go around dropping everybody off. I take this time to have a long conversation with my upfront passenger. I explain to Lace that these days everyone needs a robust skill set. Sewing is a good skill, and I'll take him up on it when he's feeling better. But maybe he can apply those delicate hands to a wider range of problems. Sewing skin isn't that different from sewing clothes. Maybe he ought to learn from Faustina. Maybe he could model the "barbers" of 19th century. Pair hair, nails, message, and clothes with basic dental and medical work. The more useful you are to everyone, the less people will think they can get away with breaking your legs for any reason.

When we get to the Uni Faustina is too exhausted to do much of anything, but Trudy and the other girls are still more or less fresh. So I finally and at long last do what I set out to do: get a few extra hands to help fix up the garage and the windmill. With the powertools I can do a lot more work on vehicles. In exchange I'll set them up with a replacement for Betty. They should recognize instantly that it's a sweetheart deal. My prices are always fair, but this one is a little more than fair because I feel bad for missing the problem last time I saw the old girl. Angel Eyes is welcome to come to my place whenever she wants so I can take a look at her respirator and do her another favor, as promised.

Finally I drive home. I live alone at the Junkyard most of the time, which is a little crazy given the dangers in this new world. But I'm not unprotected. My first line of defense is the "moat". I salvaged a CAT excavator a long while back and used it to dig a deep nasty pit all the way around my property. Then I filled it about a quarter of the way with everything sharp and metal I could find. Shrooms run into my property, they fall in the pit with no way to climb out. Now that might normally be a problem because they'd accumulate. But the sharp things solve that. Whenever they move around, they rip their own flesh apart. Eventually they get torn up enough that they can't move anymore. Every once in a while I got out there with my mask and some fuel and burn away the gunk, to keep the spores from getting too thick.

There's a drawbridge that any human could lower and a perfectly safe road to my garage. I have some basic defenses for people in the junkyard to discourage thieves. Alarms, bear traps, tripwire shotguns loaded with rocksalt. But I save the nasty stuff for my house. Anyone wants to deal with me, they can drive right up to the garage. If they're friends who want to visit, I'll escort them. But if somebody tries to sneak into my house, then it's about protecting my life, not my stuff. That's where I put the landmines, the gas grenades, the ripper.

(Behold my primary color rectangle skills!)

Back home I make a checklist and get to work.

1. Get the garage working again, with power
2. Work on Angel Eye's respirator and whatever other project she wants, whenever she stops by
3. Fix any damage to the Truck, even if it's cosmetic
4. Get a vehicle running to replace Betty
5. Continue work on the Shroom Clearer, a vehicle I've been working on in my spare time that should grind up whole hordes of the things in relative safety. If I can get it working and attrition doesn't do the job for me, maybe I can clear out the ranch on my own.

(These are all workspace moves. I kind of just picked "You'll need someone to help you with it" for the garage and "you'll need a garage" for the cars. I'll need to know the damage for this stuff so we'll see how much I get done in the downtime we're given. I'll be working on it in order.)

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 22, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=3 EXP=2/5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=0:00

I scowl at the drawbridge left down, titter at the thievery and frown at the dead. drat fools, the lot of them. The scavengers were fools for ignoring the warnings and rushing his yard for a bit of scrap. The Ironworks were fools for wasting lives so carelessly. But after a bit of consideration, I have to conclude that the scavengers were bigger fools. If they asked, if they even approached peacefully, I would have taken off their masks and let them go free. Maybe they just didn't know...

Adding another very small job, erecting some clear signs using words and pictures (in case they can't read) explaining that I will remove muzzles safely for the reasonable price that I be allowed to keep it. Also looking over the muzzle and designing a device or process for very quick and convenient muzzle removal

And then I hear the man impaled on my moat. He's the biggest fool yet. "Hey buddy, there's a bridge right over there you know. This one ain't my fault, it's a suicide or a murder and I ain't done neither. You jump off cliffs for fun? Same deal right here, I just built the cliff." All the while I'm gathering my retrieval system. It's really very simple, the moat wasn't designed to keep intelligent things out, it was designed for hordes of brain dead creatures. First I check for biters around my property and when I find none I put on my armor and mask, throw down my "covers" of fitted sheet metal for the sharp bits, tie off my rope ladder and climb on down. He's dead. Well, he's alive, but he's still dead. People can survive gut wounds, but they don't survive gut wounds on poo poo that routinely rips open spore heads and only occasionally gets a fuel bath when I get around to it. I'm not risking my hide to grab him for that. Hell, this way I'll probably have to put him down myself. No, I'm coming down to hear his last words which might explain why he's this loving dumb. Then I'll return his body to the Cheyenne. They're very particular about their death rituals, even now with the dead walking. Keeps them together, keeps them sane. Maybe they won't try to kill me next time if I can give the corpse back.

Whatever words we happened to exchange, I'm finished wrapping the body (crushed the skull with my crowbar to be safe) when I spot the girls from the Uni coming down to lend a hand. Corpse isn't going anywhere, but they might. So I use their young strong hands to get the windmill up and the garage open in a jiffy. One evening spent. Then I figure it's too late to drive him over in the dark.

The next morning I drive him down. Old Lynn Stevens (She goes by Tall Oak now, but I knew her when she was just Lynn and wore cutoffs and smelled like smoke in chemistry class) will know where he should go or what to do with him. We have a nice little chat about the Ironworks and what's been going on with her people lately too. One morning spent

Then it's time for my Truck, it's a matter of pride. I could see Lynn frown when she saw the thing. No mechanic can afford to have his vehicle anything short of top notch. Well... almost top notch. I'm out of Baby Blue. Too many touch ups and I have work to do. So I fill the holes and seal them with primer for now. Then I lighten my dark blue with white until it's almost, but not quite, a match. That will have to do until I can find the good stuff or get time to repaint the whole truck.

I won't find a windshield to replace my old one in this crazy world. So I'll have to make one. All I need is scrap glass and a mold that will match my truck. New task, building a glass mold and reshaping scrap into a windshield. Might as well layer it with Polycarbonate from broken CD and DVDs to make it bulletproof One afternoon/evening spent?

Then I get to work on Betty's replacement. I could build the things like a Frankenstein with a ton of junkyard parts. But it's usually best to start from a solid foundation. I drive out to a part of the highway I know is still clogged. So many people tried to drive out of the city. It didn't save them. Then I unclog it with a series of tows, pulling a few layers of cars back until I get to a nice diesel work truck. Most of the private vehicles from the old world were gasoline. But the haulers preferred diesel. It was probably abandoned on A-day, and the protective layer of gasoline vehicles around it made it an unattractive prospect for recovery. Doubt many people could spot a diesel model by eye anymore anyway.

I head back to the shop with an almost working almost new truck and get to work. It's been sitting forever, so it needs a little love before it can run, but soon enough I get it purring. most of a day spent

I'm taking another look at the Shroom Clearer when Angel Eyes shows up. I think the design is solid. Its base is an all terrain logger with one open cutting blade. Designed to rip apart forests. But its been modified so the entire front is basically a mulcher/thresher. Most anything I drive straight through should become woodchips sprayed out the back. With full control over the rotating blade arm, anything on the sides or back can be sliced in half. Main flaws is the whole gas guzzling thing, the expert maintenance it will no doubt need, and the spores it will no doubt throw into the air. I'm working on that, maybe a giant bag like a lawn mower... With the current design, the driver should be fine breathing filtered air but everyone else will be in a spore cloud as the shrooms are ripped apart in mass.

+

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike
Barter=3 EXP=2/5 Harm=0:00 Fatigue=0:00

I have a grill, I have a full kitchen too. Oven runs on electric though, and I'll want to wait for the batteries to charge before I blow a bunch of power on it. So I use the charcoal grill. Simple device, and it's not like I can't make charcoal if it can't be found. Still plenty of wood. So we have a reasonably pleasant time working on this stuff.

I look at my screwed up windshield. The last one was a thing of beauty. Things used to be pretty. I'll have to work on my forging technique, get some new equipment. But it will do for now I suppose.

Then we get to the signs, and the truck. "Well, I'm pretty darn sure these looters were drugged and sent here. Maybe they don't like me much already. If they got a problem, they can come here and have a chat about how I should be supporting their slave trade. poo poo, maybe they can even talk me into something. Just as likely they'll come hard and I'll die in some bloody shoot out. Or I'll die of cancer like Lynn. Or one day I'll just be too weak to stand anymore, and I'll die alone out here. Everybody dies, and my ticket will come soon no matter what I do. Might as well get gunned down for doing something right." I set up the signs and work on a way to safely remove the masks.

"Now, this here vehicle is running, but I don't trust it. Been sitting too long. I've only be working at it for a day. I'd say it's an ok replacement for Betty at this point, but if you recall Betty died in an emergency. If you're aching to get home you can take it how it is and accept those risks. But give me another day and I can have her going nice and proper... Hey, is that Angel Eyes?"

"Hey, Angel!" I call out at the lady in the distance as she lowers the drawbridge.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

"Come on in officer, let's chat about this situation." I let him come in, and I escort him around the yard. I note the missing things while we have our conversation. "You leave desperate scavengers to do what they want, they end up causing all sort of ruckus. You just leave them to run around on their own, of course that's what they do. Some of them made some very bad decisions hitting my place. Doesn't make sense, unless they were crazed or forced. So, I fundamentally disagree with your whole scheme here. Causes trouble with hard working folks everywhere."

I give him a hard, searching, look, "if it's just a matter of debt, then they can work it off here and they'll pay it back much faster than stealing. I can show them what to do, to make trash into treasure. If they run from me, I'll pay it back myself. If that happens enough, I may reconsider my policy. But... it's not just about the debt, is it? It's all about the deterrent. You want them to suffer, you want other folks to see them suffer. Then they know that a debt to you is a serious thing. Well, I understand that, but I don't much truck with it. Other ways to look tough. Other ways to collect. This way is ugly, it's not American, and I won't support it. Now, if ya'll was the government I'd have to go along with it anyway. Plenty of stuff I didn't much like about the old government that I went along with because I had to. But there's an issue of sovereignty here. You do what you want on your land, putting the masks on. I do what I want on mine, taking then off. I'm reasonable about it, but in the end of the day my land is my land. If ya'll want to say my land is your land, that you're the new government and all, well then there's a lot more stuff you need to do. Enforce justice, protect citizens, keep supplies strong for everyone. You aren't doing that stuff, so I don't respect your authority over me sufficiently for me to endorse a wacky punishment scheme that's more or less making criminals desperate and then forcing them to steal poo poo from hard working folks. There's also some doubts about what crimes they committed, and how your proved their guilt, and all that."

I read his face on that one. Lynn didn't think her boy did anything wrong. He said something about "drugged". And no one right in the head would hit this place, knowing it's booby trapped, instead of going to naturally made junk piles. Unless they were told to go here. How did this guy even know I'd been hit so quickly, anyway?

"I guess what I'm saying is, I'm willing to work with you on this a little, and I respect what you're doing now. Makes me feel more obliging to your organization. You're willing to address the damage they do now, it means I'll agree not to take off the masks without also taking on their debt. Does that sound fair to you?"

Read a Person: 2d6+1 12

What does your character wish I’d do? (i.e. what's the scheme here? It's obvious he wants me to take down the signs.)
How could I get your character to see things my way on the whole enslaved scavengers in creepy masks thing?

One hold on the conversation for later.[/i]

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

"I think Mr. Jefferson would be very interested in my proposal. I'll write you a letter, can't visit in person, I have a busy day ahead of me. Lots of work to do. I'll tell you what, I'll take down them signs, as I'm very grateful for the consideration you've shown me. I don't much like how you're operating, but might as well not advertise that since you've shown me a little kindness here. Wouldn't want to make you mad anyway, already cleaned up enough corpses lately," I grin at him, like it's a joke, not bringing much attention to the rigged shotgun array I would have triggered if things got ugly with those guns they were so casually checking.

"There's just one more favor you can do me. You see, I got some grieving friends who think their relative was unjustly shanghaied into scavenging for you. Could you tell me what, exactly, these scavengers that hit my land were guilty of?" if he answers I'm using my last hold to see if he's telling the truth

I spot Angel Eyes, "Hey Angel! You walk all the way up here? Well then I know the favor I can do for you, yes indeed. Might be big enough for you to owe me one, but that's just fine for me. These gentlemen were just returning some property they stole from me. Downright civilized in this day and age. I was thinking of maybe freeing their slaves and loving them over," I give the sheriff a big wink and keep on eye on his gun hand, "but since they're being so neighborly I think I'll investigate further before making any rash judgements."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

I nod and smile at Angel Eyes, assuming things haven't gotten violent for some reason, "You don't need to drive for what I'm thinking. Most folks think of me as a motorhead, and maybe I am, but I've got some versatility to me. Deacon and his crazies got one bit of sense, Mountain Bikes are the way of the future. A lot faster than walking, but just as quiet. Don't need fuel, barely need maintenance. Only problem is, sometimes you need a burst of speed or you gotta get away hurt. So why not slap a motor on it! Back in the day they weren't so popular, but it's not too hard to make yourself. A little motor on a bicycle with a battery pack you charge yourself when you don't need it, and then just flip it on when you do! So I'm ruminating on this design, and I'm thinking I should do something nice for old Angel Eyes after she had my back, so why not make one for Angel and prove the concept? If you want it, of course. I'm too old for that kind of thing just fall over on it soon enough and let the biters eat me, but you're fit enough for it."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

I talk with Angel Eyes while I work on her respirator. With practice hands a whip out my precision tools and line up my replacement parts in case any of hers are worn down. If there's one thing I know besides cars in this day and age, it's respirators.

This could be later my other guests have something important to say or do now.

"Deacon, he's a strange one alright. I don't know him too well personally. I know him and his flock got into some trouble down in Little Town, not too welcome there anymore. But I know his type. Charismatic preacher, faith healer, snake oil salesman. Thing you gotta understand with a man like that is, he's always on stage. Always performing... So long as he has an audience. The more people there are to hear, the more bullshit he'll fling. Now I don't know if he believes his own poo poo, probably not. Most of them don't. Some can't even tell. But I do know that the fewer of his followers there are in earshot, the closer to the truth he'll get."

By now her mask is in pieces, and I'm cleaning the insides. Filter needed replacing, might as well be breathing through a shirt. "You want a real heart to heart, it'll have to be just you and him. That's a bit of a problem though, because whether or not you intend to shoot him, it'll be on his mind, especially if it looks like you want to split him from his minions. If I was looking to meet with him alone, first thing I'd do is approach real friendly. Hear he's hard to flap, and his suckers can get jumpy, so going hard will likely turn into a fight. Maybe you'd win the confrontation, but best not to start it. But I'd also make it clear I'm not looking to join up. He sees you as a mark he won't respect you. Then I'd shoot the poo poo with him and his followers for a while, make them comfortable. I'd drop a few hints to the man that you know something for his ears only, make it more obvious as time goes by, until he brings you aside for the private talk. I guess you can insist if it comes to it, but a man like that is used to being in control, you try to take it from him and he'll get defensive."

Right proper use of my Move

I have the thing re-assembled lickty split. "Easy enough. I'll get to work on that bike when I have some free time. Make sure to write down the design too. Might be a good thing for folks to know how to make a few decades down the line. Anything else you needed? Ride back to the university?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
"Big" Mike

Forgot to roll this at the beginning: Where I'm Needed: 2d6+2 14

I can just be there at some place where I'm needed, with exactly the proper tools and knowledge, without proper explanation. I can spend it sometime to barge into someone's scene, but the magic words are "I wish Mike was here" if you want me there.

I take the signs down. I can put them up later if I have to change my mind, but I don't want to kill these guys today and start a blood feud with a warlord... yet. I'll investigate further as this is surprisingly fair behavior so far, not even rising to small provocations. I do write a letter: "Mr Jefferson, I'm Mike, a humble auto-mechanic and grease head. I'm growing quite old, and I fear that I may have many skills from the old world that will die with me. I also have a moral distaste for the masked scavengers policy you have put into effect. If you encounter some debtors that are intelligent and generally non-violent, I would be very willing to teach them my skills as they work off their debt with me, without masks. They would then be an invaluable part of your community later. I am an expert on moving machinery, filtration systems, electrical engineering, plumbing, landscaping, tool machining, cooling systems, generators, molding, material science, chemistry, computer science, and a fair hand at gardening to name a few skills."

After my talk with Angel Eyes I'm getting ready to head for the university when Juck pulls up.

"Hey Juck, whatcha need?" I'm not exactly enthusiastic about Juck showing up, but it's not the worst thing ever. If she's talking she's not killing, and the more links she has with people the more protective she'll be, if only to serve her own interests. I whistle at her bike, it's a thing of beauty, I know because I built it. And unlike her other bikes, I actually tried. I do fix her bikes better than Lala, but Lala is a butcher. Her unnatural frankenstein bullshit is terrifying to behold. But it's an ancient and illustrious scam for mechanics to fix one thing but make sure something else will break next month. I was never one for that kind of behavior, I'd fix things so they'd last years. But keeping a gang like the Wolves needing you is a point of survival. I inspect the bike like I've never seen it before. I just hope they don't learn too much from it.

"I can set up a filter all sorts of ways. Basic way is an Active system, evaporation based. With a simple generator I can set something up that will filter anything, even heavy metals. poo poo, it could filter saltwater. But that's a hungry system. Don't recommend it, fuel needs to come from somewhere, and Biofuel comes from the sun anyway so you're not helping things, just putting a big burden on Lil' Town I don't think they can sustain for too long.

Other active way is to use the sun. I'll need a poo poo ton of tarps and such but that's no big deal. But it'll never be as much as it once was. If you're looking to build something right the gently caress now that will give your gang enough water, that'll be the way to go. But it won't be enough to give away, or sell, or support a larger community. Folks will likely fight ya for it instead of dying of thirst. I can maybe scale a system like that up for ya with a poo poo ton of giant mirrors and landscaping but that's a huge public works project. You'd need a town of laborers and a lot of time and no guarantee it will ever work right without a computer network to adjust things every second.

Final way is the proper way. Truth is, spores are spores. Biological and rather fat. They don't merge with the water even if they're real stubborn. With a fancy enough filter you can get all the water you need, the well will be good as new, if not better. But I can't make that thing. Nobody can without the entire pre-fall infrastructure. I'd need some serious chemicals and machines and lasers and poo poo. But I do know where we can pick up a whole set just sitting around: The Aquarium. I know they had a whole store room of fantastic massive water filters for the critters. I saw it myself. But, I know it's still there because it's deep in the city. Shroom Town. I'll need backup, a good plan, and some luck to do it. Not the whole gang, too big and loud. But five of your best and maybe a good hire on like Angel Eyes here, moving quick and quiet."

I strategically fail to mention my own water system. Rain catching is only worth a drat if you started before the drought. Bragging about my water supply would only get her gang in a thieving mood if they're thirsty.

• Locked thread