Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Awkward conversation with his girlfriend or Elgin Baylor's firing, well, I think we all know what the more important and relevant controversy is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

I am admittedly talking about a larger forum issue but there's definitely some of it here too.

And no one thinks that what he said isn't bad, that I can tell. People are wondering why this in particular is a huge deal when no one really seemed to care about several decades of him being a known racist slumlord (to the point that the loving NAACP was about to give him an award before this broke). It's really weird that THIS is the thing that is the last straw and has everyone calling for the team to be taken away and saying how they could never play for him, when it's not even remotely the worst or most racist thing he has done. About the only answer I can give for why this matters and the other stuff didn't is that twitter wasn't a thing when the housing discrimination suit happened.

However, it is really tyhe first one to get major national attention. While he has been this racist in the past, its really the first time that audio clips of him being directly and blatantly racist can be heard on the night time news, as opposed to him being involved in another discrimination suit. While those also should have caused an outrage, atleast the issue is finally getting the attention it deserves.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

MourningView posted:

I am admittedly talking about a larger forum issue but there's definitely some of it here too.

And no one thinks that what he said isn't bad, that I can tell. People are wondering why this in particular is a huge deal when no one really seemed to care about several decades of him being a known racist slumlord (to the point that the loving NAACP was about to give him an award before this broke). It's really weird that THIS is the thing that is the last straw and has everyone calling for the team to be taken away and saying how they could never play for him, when it's not even remotely the worst or most racist thing he has done. About the only answer I can give for why this matters and the other stuff didn't is that twitter wasn't a thing when the housing discrimination suit happened.

Sterling's past conduct has mostly been revealed in court documents and off-the-record hearsay from fired former employees. This was an audiotape publicized by a very popular website. If Elgin Baylor or Elton Brand et al could've caught some of Sterling's past statements on camera, the stuff they revealed would've blown up like this too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Why do people keep saying this is only a story because of twitter when the president of the united states spoke about it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Politicalrancor posted:

Kobe Bryant, tho

Like I said, I don't think it says a lot about me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Asian Oprah posted:

You may have a point in that I don't feel you're saying much productive or interesting, but you could take a look at what you actually wrote and not what you think you wrote:

You're using a dismissive style to try to phrase that like a rhetorical question when it actually is not.
Alright, I guess we're gonna really go through the motions then.

I said "why should he" make that sacrifice, not "why would he want to" because you accused him of not doing enough. You essentially said he should be willing to make that sacrifice and you criticized him for not doing so.

I made no claims about what I think these players might want to do. I'm well aware of the reports that the team discussed boycotting already and decided against it at least for now. I have little doubt that these players are torn between potential actions here. I'm sure on some level many of these guys want to make a strong statement by refusing to play. At the same time they may also feel like doing so would be letting the racist jackass win on some level, because his actions would be denying them a chance at their dream.

My point is, these players are in a difficult position due to actions entirely out of their control, and it's asinine and inappropriate for us to criticize them by saying what they should and shouldn't do right now.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

mistermojo posted:

There are a lot of different ways to respond imo

Best post in this thread right here.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

R.A. Dickey posted:

Is this list a joke? One of them is literally "prints junk mail" ...the horror! Also, may surprise you, but not all private equity/finance types are bad people.

It was originally a list of every NBA owner, then I removed the list of honest guys, then the legacy dunces, then I removed the real estate developers because it's hard to separate the backroom deal, local corruption developers from the standard wetland filling developers. Then I removed the honest seeming capitalists. Everyone left has done anti competitive stuff or just general noxious business. The Busses are there because they're a shining example of non monstrous NBA owners. Glen Taylor is there because people really don't like junk mail, and only a handful of companies are responsible for most of it. it's hardly as bad as being a leveraged buyout artist or gutting companies for Bain, but it's a most tangible example of how these guys mostly made their money doing stuff that would be a crime or just incredibly distasteful if done by a human man to a human man rather than by a corporation to everyone.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Why do people keep saying this is only a story because of twitter when the president of the united states spoke about it

He also spoke about Kanye West interrupting Taylor Swift, so take that with a grain of salt.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

He also spoke about Kanye West interrupting Taylor Swift, so take that with a grain of salt.
That was almost as important as this

Music awards are serious business

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Wait, Donald Sterling is on Instagram?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

MourningView posted:

I am admittedly talking about a larger forum issue but there's definitely some of it here too, as evidenced by you apparently thinking that there are people who actually believe what he said was okay.

And no one thinks that what he said isn't bad, that I can tell. People are wondering why this in particular is a huge deal when no one really seemed to care (to the point that the loving NAACP was about to give him an award before this broke) about several decades of him being a known racist slumlord. It's really weird that THIS is the thing that is the last straw and has everyone calling for the team to be taken away and saying how they could never play for him, when it's not even remotely the worst or most racist thing he has done. About the only answer I can give for why this matters and the other stuff didn't is that twitter wasn't a thing when the housing discrimination suit happened,
Who cares why people care now? The fact is that people actually care now, and that should be the important thing to take away.

You really sound like a guy who complained about the Grammy's performance with the weddings because it's not really a "big deal".

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You really sound like a guy who complained about the Grammy's performance with the weddings because it's not really a "big deal".

Uhhh....

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I guess I never heard David Duke speak, could someone please provide me with an audio recording so that I can know for sure that he was racist?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Whirlwind Jones posted:

what the gently caress

I think it's bad that he is a racist, I just wish that people had acted this outraged like a decade ago instead of pretending that it's new. That's all anyone is saying. No one thinks that what he said was okay. You can wonder why this was the straw that broke the camels back as opposed to the other stuff without secretly being a member of the KKK.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

MourningView posted:

I guess I never heard David Duke speak, could someone please provide me with an audio recording so that I can know for sure that he was racist?

Cmon, you know thats not what people are saying at all. It's a big deal to the public at large because secret recordings of horrible lovely idiots are gossip fodder, especially when they discuss arguably the biggest Los Angeles sports figure.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

MourningView posted:

I am admittedly talking about a larger forum issue but there's definitely some of it here too, as evidenced by you apparently thinking that there are people who actually believe what he said was okay.

And no one thinks that what he said isn't bad, that I can tell. People are wondering why this in particular is a huge deal when no one really seemed to care (to the point that the loving NAACP was about to give him an award before this broke) about several decades of him being a known racist slumlord. It's really weird that THIS is the thing that is the last straw and has everyone calling for the team to be taken away and saying how they could never play for him, when it's not even remotely the worst or most racist thing he has done. About the only answer I can give for why this matters and the other stuff didn't is that twitter wasn't a thing when the housing discrimination suit happened,

I agree with all of this. And I can get how it's annoying to have anyone half interested in sports now come out and say "HAY THE CLIPPERZ OWNER IS RACIST".

That's not to say we shouldn't be outraged. Any reason to get the public talking about slum lord Sterling is a good one. I just LOVE the fact that this entire thing emerged because an old dude went full high school teenager over The Instagram photos.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

MourningView posted:

what the gently caress

I think it's bad that he is a racist, I just wish that people had acted this outraged like a decade ago instead of pretending that it's new. That's all anyone is saying. No one thinks that what he said was okay.
What?

I'm saying that your comments of "why do you care NOW?" while dismissing the actual important result of people actually caring about the issue is akin to someone complaining about the (positive) reaction to the Grammy ceremony because "everyone here already believes in marriage equality, I don't see the big deal."

It's a big deal because it gets people talking about an important issue. Regardless of what has happened in the past or what people's prior views were.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

Cmon, you know thats not what people are saying at all. It's a big deal to the public at large because secret recordings of horrible lovely idiots are gossip fodder, especially when they discuss arguably the biggest Los Angeles sports figure.

I know all this, I just think it kinda sucks that it needed to be part of a big juicy gossip story with Multimedia Elements to get people to finally decide that Donald Sterling is kinda lovely.

And I would not even keep bringing it up but people keep responding to it all outraged when everyone mentions this so now I am trying to explain.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

MourningView posted:

If David Duke's speeches started appearing on the front page of TMZ he'd attract a lot more outrage than he gets today

Benicio
Mar 21, 2004

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay
Early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose

Politicalrancor posted:

No one has talked about Mike Trout.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

what the gently caress

I think it's bad that he is a racist, I just wish that people had acted this outraged like a decade ago instead of pretending that it's new. That's all anyone is saying. No one thinks that what he said was okay. You can wonder why this was the straw that broke the camels back as opposed to the other stuff without secretly being a member of the KKK.

Well isn't that pretty clear? Here's his voice saying racist stuff, not a deposition about him, not a settled lawsuit, not a lawsuit he won, but a real recording of his voice, speaking the words. There's no way he can snake around it.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Benicio posted:

Don't do this to me, not today hoss.

OC =/= LA

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Politicalrancor posted:

especially when they discuss arguably the biggest Los Angeles sports figure.

Um

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think it was J.A. Adande who said that this might not even be in the top 10 worst things Sterling's done, but they got Capone on tax evasion, so...

Saying "everyone should have known Sterling was racist before this anyway" is about as insightful as the Race To Be Most Outraged; if this is what it took to get people to take note of Donald Sterling being a terrible human being, then you might as seize the opportunity to push for something to be done about it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

Don't do this to me, not today hoss.

OC =/= LA

He still doesn't even crack like the top 10.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I'd love you to tell me about where I live

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

I think it was J.A. Adande who said that this might not even be in the top 10 worst things Sterling's done, but they got Capone on tax evasion, so...

Saying "everyone should have known Sterling was racist before this anyway" is about as insightful as the Race To Be Most Outraged; if this is what it took to get people to take note of Donald Sterling being a terrible human being, then you might as seize the opportunity to push for something to be done about it.

I don't even disagree, just saying that it's dumb to accuse people who point out that this isn't new of not caring sufficiently about racism or thinking that what he said was okay, which seemed to be what was happening.

And now I'm done, before I somehow get accused of being a homophobe again.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

The Asian Oprah posted:

Also Mr extremely racist Jamal Crawford avatar thinks I disagree with him more than I actually do as to the extent of player responsibility :haw:

You may have a point in that I don't feel you're saying much productive or interesting, but you could take a look at what you actually wrote and not what you think you wrote:

The Asian Oprah posted:

But they are also not powerless actors--if you have the public visibility/bargaining power to insist on productive changes then one might argue you're abandoning a moral responsibility by going complicit with immoral ruling powers :shrug:

With that in mind it may well be more Doc Rivers' responsibility than his players.

You can argue that, and I can see the train of logic that takes you there, but you're only following it through to a point that's convenient as regards the point you're trying to make. If you stop there, sure, but it seems more like you want to win that argument than actually consider what you're saying. Take it to the logical conclusion and tell me that's a comfortable place.

Then we can laugh at the Clips' grand tracksuit slamdown.

MourningView posted:

I just think it kinda sucks that it needed to be part of a big juicy gossip story with Multimedia Elements to get people to finally decide that Donald Sterling is kinda lovely.

For real. But if that's what it takes to get an even semi-good outcome, I'm all for taking it, and kicking the poo poo out of him in as legal a way as possible. I figure there'll be time to fret about how tawdry it all was when the job's done.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Genuinely interested to hear what the TNT guys have to say about all of this. Did the news break before they went off air yesterday? I don't remember hearing anything from them on it but I could be wrong.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Benicio posted:

I'd let this post hang out with all the black people it wanted, that's how much I love it.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Genuinely interested to hear what the TNT guys have to say about all of this. Did the news break before they went off air yesterday? I don't remember hearing anything from them on it but I could be wrong.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2014/04/26/20140426-inside-donald-sterling-investigation.nba/ The top left clip should be where they talk about him

ElwoodCuse posted:

Darren Rovell must be furious that he's banned from going on Twitter and telling us what a bag of potato chips cost back when Sterling bought the Clippers

hahahaha

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Darren Rovell must be furious that he's banned from going on Twitter and telling us what a bag of potato chips cost back when Sterling bought the Clippers

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

They spent time on it during halftime of Pacers-Hawks:

http://deadspin.com/tnts-halftime-show-addresses-the-donald-sterling-story-1568111097

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't think it's ludicrous to say that Magic Johnson is one of LA's biggest sports figures still.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

This is a seriously silly thing to argue about but he is not a bigger figure than Magic or the Buss family, and there are a bunch of players who are a lot more well known.

Rick posted:

I don't think it's ludicrous to say that Magic Johnson is one of LA's biggest sports figures still.

I think he is probably the biggest.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Politicalrancor posted:

If you think Sterling might be the biggest figure in LA sports you probably need someone to tell you more about where you live.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rick posted:

That's mean, he's doing his best to stay fit at his age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

MourningView posted:

This is a seriously silly thing to argue about but he is not a bigger figure than Magic or the Buss family, and there are a bunch of players who are a lot more well known.

Yah i was saying that Magic was the biggest LA sports figure.

• Locked thread